- Vermont summit to address women's economic security Updated: Oct-08-15 4:01 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The director of the women's bureau at the U.S. Department of Labor is speaking at the Vermont Women's Economic Security Summit in Montpelier.
- Justice Dept, police gather for summit on violent crime Updated: Oct-07-15 4:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Justice Department officials met Wednesday with police commanders, mayors and FBI leaders from across the country to discuss ways to reduce violent crime.
- Alaska Editorials Updated: Oct-05-15 12:38 pm
Here is a sampling of editorial opinions from Alaska newspapers:
- The Latest: Record 150-plus world leaders at UN summit Updated: Oct-03-15 2:03 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The latest developments from the annual meeting of the U.N. General Assembly, where world leaders are grappling with a multitude of global crises, including the fight against terrorism - the Islamic State in particular - and easing the refugee crisis in the Middle East and North Africa (all times local):
- Syrian opposition says leader met UN chief on Russia strikes Updated: Oct-03-15 10:45 am
- Turkish Cypriots: Reunification agreement possible in months Updated: Oct-02-15 7:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci said Friday that an agreement on reunifying the divided Mediterranean island can be reached in months rather than years if talks with the Greek Cypriot president continue at the same pace, with the same determination and political will, as they have in recent months.
- Somalia wants to liberate territory held by al-Shabab soon Updated: Oct-02-15 6:35 pm
- Central African Republic elections delayed by fresh violence Updated: Oct-01-15 8:29 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Fresh violence in Central African Republic has forced the delay of Oct. 18 elections meant to put the troubled country on firmer political ground, officials said Thursday, but they expect the vote will take place by the end of this year.
- Russia criticizes US for seeking ouster of Syria's Assad Updated: Oct-01-15 8:01 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia's foreign minister criticized the United States and other countries trying to oust Syrian President Bashar Assad on Thursday, warning that U.S.-led campaigns that got rid of Iraq's Saddam Hussein and Libya's Moammar Gadhafi brought those countries turmoil, not peace.
- India to Pakistan: 'Give up terrorism' and we can talk Updated: Oct-01-15 3:38 pm
NEW YORK - India delivered a blunt response Thursday to a peace proposal from Pakistan at the annual gathering of world leaders at the U.N.: "Give up terrorism" and we can talk.
- Europe, US split over form of Syria talks Updated: Oct-01-15 11:17 am
UNITED NATIONS - Nine nations or five? In speeches at this year's U.N. gathering of world leaders, major powers are increasing calls for multilateral negotiations to end the war in Syria. But Europe and the United States are split on who should be at the table.
- Christian evangelicals in Jerusalem show love for Israel Updated: Oct-01-15 2:49 am
JERUSALEM - Thousands of evangelical Christians from more than 80 countries descended upon Jerusalem this week to show their support for the Jewish state, including pilgrims and politicians from countries with a history of hostility toward Israel.
- President Abbas raises Palestinian flag for first time at UN Updated: Sep-30-15 8:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas raised the Palestinian flag at the United Nations for the first time on Wednesday with a promise that it will be raised soon in Jerusalem, "the capital of our Palestinian state."
- EU leaders call for global refugee quotas at UN event Updated: Sep-30-15 8:25 pm
UNITED NATIONS - European leaders are urging U.N. member states to introduce global refugee quotas to stem the crisis that has forced thousands to flee their homes in search of safety.
- Abbas says Palestinians no longer bound by pacts with Israel Updated: Sep-30-15 3:13 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas declared before world leaders Wednesday that he is no longer bound by agreements signed with Israel and called on the United Nations to provide international protection for Palestinians, in the most serious warning yet that he might walk away from engagement with the Jewish state.
- At UN, Pakistan PM proposes peace initiative with India Updated: Sep-30-15 2:40 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday proposed a new peace initiative with historical rival India.
- France to be 'extra vigilant' on climate negotiations Updated: Sep-30-15 11:52 am
PARIS - French President Francois Hollande says that France must be "extra vigilant" over upcoming climate change negotiations in order to reach an ambitious agreement at a global summit in December in Paris.
- Saudi minister: There's a military option to oust Assad Updated: Sep-29-15 11:29 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Saudi Arabia's foreign minister said Tuesday there is a military option in Syria that will end with the removal of President Bashar Assad if the preferred political option does not lead to his departure.
- Maldives minister says boat blast likely targeted president Updated: Sep-29-15 6:01 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The top diplomat of the Maldives said Tuesday an explosion on the boat of the island nation's leader was likely a targeted attack.
- AP Interview: NATO chief urges Russia to be constructive Updated: Sep-29-15 5:31 pm
UNITED NATIONS - NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg is calling on Russia to play a constructive role in restoring peace in war-ravaged Syria.
- Everybody's late for UN chief's lunch - even the chief Updated: Sep-29-15 12:28 am
UNITED NATIONS - U.S. President Barack Obama glided into the secretary-general's lunch for world leaders more than 20 minute late, glad-handing presidents and potentates as he made his way to the head table. President Vladimir Putin arrived even later, while the U.N. chief was speaking before making a toast, so the Russian leader walked quickly to his seat - a chair away from Obama.
- Turkey urges renewed global efforts to stem refugee wave Updated: Sep-28-15 10:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Turkey's Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu urged the international community on Monday to step up efforts to address the refugee crisis which has uprooted thousands from their homes and forced them to flee to surrounding countries and Europe.
- Zimbabwe president blames refugee crisis on external forces Updated: Sep-28-15 8:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe says interference in the domestic affairs of independent nations has triggered the refugee crisis in the Mediterranean.
- Austrian minister: Deal with Assad - but only short term Updated: Sep-28-15 8:13 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Austria's foreign minister said Monday that European nations are increasingly contemplating some role for the Syrian regime at negotiations to end the war in that country and suggested a compromise that could include President Bashar Assad but only for the short term.
- US says states pledge 40,000-plus troops to UN peacekeeping Updated: Sep-28-15 8:08 pm
UNITED NATIONS - President Barack Obama on Monday announced notable steps to upgrade U.N peacekeeping, with his administration saying more than 50 countries have pledged to contribute more than 40,000 new troops and police to serve in some of the world's most volatile areas.