- Scientists debate boundaries, ethics of human gene editing Updated: Dec-01-15 11:47 am
WASHINGTON - Alternating the promise of cures for intractable diseases with anxiety about designer babies and eugenics, hundreds of scientists and ethicists from around the world began debating the boundaries of a revolutionary technology to edit the human genetic code.
- France, Germany, Canada call on world to put price on carbon Updated: Dec-01-15 11:11 am
LE BOURGET, France - One of the smartest ways to fight global warming is putting a price on carbon dioxide pollution, according to key world leaders at the international climate summit, including U.S. President Barack Obama.
- UN climate summit halts delivery of lei in Paris Updated: Dec-01-15 7:24 am
WAILUKU, Hawaii - A group of Maui residents delivering sections of a mile-long lei in Paris at memorial sites to honor victims of recent terrorist attacks had to postpone the lei ceremony due to a demonstration ahead of the U.N. climate summit.
- AP News Guide: Summit opens debate on ethics of gene editing Updated: Nov-30-15 4:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Designer babies or an end to intractable illnesses: A revolutionary technology is letting scientists learn to rewrite the genetic code, aiming to alter DNA in ways that, among other things, could erase disease-causing genes.
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of defiance' after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-30-15 3:09 pm
LE BOURGET, France - Pushing for a powerful climate deal, President Barack Obama called the global talks opening Monday outside Paris an "act of defiance" against terrorism that proves the world stands undeterred by Islamic State-linked attacks in Europe and beyond.
- Greek PM Tsipras takes on Turkey's Davutoglu on Twitter Updated: Nov-29-15 9:24 pm
ATHENS, Greece - A highly unusual online exchange took place on Twitter between the prime ministers of Greece and Turkey late Sunday before the former deleted his tweets - but only from the English version of his account.
- The Latest: Obama visits site of Paris concert attack Updated: Nov-29-15 7:16 pm
PARIS - The latest from the much-anticipated U.N. climate conference that gets underway in Paris on Monday. All times local:
- EU, Turkey seek better relations at emergency refugee summit Updated: Nov-29-15 4:31 pm
BRUSSELS - European Union leaders and the Turkish prime minister sealed a joint summit with a commitment to re-energize Turkey's long-stalled membership talks and bolster their common resolve to deal with the Syrian refugee crisis.
- UK, EU leaders to discuss technicalities of EU reform Updated: Nov-29-15 2:15 pm
BRUSSELS - A European official says British Prime Minister David Cameron and European Council President Donald Tusk are meeting Sunday night to discuss the EU reforms Britain is asking for ahead of a referendum on continued membership.
- UN: Maurice Strong, climate and development pioneer, dies Updated: Nov-28-15 5:54 pm
TORONTO - Maurice Strong, whose work helped lead to the landmark climate summit that begins in Paris on Monday, has died at age 86, the head of the U.N.'s environmental agency said Saturday.
- Russia suspends visa-free travel with Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 3:05 pm
MOSCOW - Russia announced Friday that it will suspend visa-free travel with Turkey amid the escalating spat over the downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet at the Syrian border.
- EU turns to Turkey to help manage its migration woes Updated: Nov-27-15 10:38 am
BRUSSELS - Five years ago, Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi warned that millions of Africans wanted to come to the European Union and offered to make the continent's immigration problem disappear in exchange for billions of euros.
- The Latest: Russia supports closing of Turkish=Syria border Updated: Nov-27-15 10:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits beloved Malta and Commonwealth Updated: Nov-26-15 11:03 am
VALLETTA, Malta - It is a bittersweet moment for Queen Elizabeth II. She is visiting a country she loves on what may be her final trip to an organization she cherishes - one that might struggle without her.
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- Obama to meet with leaders of China, India at climate summit Updated: Nov-24-15 4:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is hoping to generate early momentum for international climate talks in Paris next week by holding one-on-one meetings there with the leaders of China and India.
- Baltimore mayor heading to Paris for climate conference Updated: Nov-24-15 11:40 am
BALTIMORE - Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is headed to Paris next week for the United Nations' climate change conference.
- The Latest: Myanmar leader thanked for move toward democracy Updated: Nov-22-15 7:27 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Ten Southeast Asian heads of state and nine world leaders, including President Barack Obama, are meeting in Malaysia to discuss trade and economic issues. Terrorism and disputes over the South China Sea are also on the agenda. (All times local.)
- China tells others don't 'stir up trouble' in S. China Sea Updated: Nov-22-15 5:40 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - China on Sunday told other countries not to "deliberately stir up trouble" in the disputed South China Sea, while insisting it has no intention of militarizing the strategically vital area even though it has increased construction activities there.
- SE Asia creates Economic Community, but challenges remain Updated: Nov-21-15 11:39 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Thirteen years after the idea was mooted, Southeast Asian leaders on Sunday formally created a unified economic community in a region more populous and diverse than the European Union or North America, and with hopes of competing with China and India.
- Obama tries to put human face on Syrian refugee debate Updated: Nov-21-15 7:45 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Brushing off refugee worries at home, President Barack Obama crouched alongside migrant children on Saturday and declared they are the opposite of terrorists wreaking havoc from Paris to Mali. Working to put a human face on the refugee crisis, he said, "They're just like our kids."
- UN official: Over 120 leaders to attend Paris climate summit Updated: Nov-20-15 10:50 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The attacks in Paris are affecting crucial climate change talks in the French capital starting later this month, but more than 120 world leaders strongly support the conference and have confirmed they will attend, a senior U.N. official said Friday.
- Canadian newcomer Trudeau a fresh face among APEC leaders Updated: Nov-19-15 11:23 am
MANILA, Philippines - He's younger than the next youngest leader by six years and nearly a full generation behind the 60-year-old average age of his Pacific Rim peers.
- New Mexico spaceport to host drone summit in 2016 Updated: Nov-19-15 5:16 am
UPHAM, New Mexico - Spaceport America will be hosting a drone summit next spring.
- APEC leaders: Urgent need to cooperate against terrorism Updated: Nov-19-15 5:03 am
MANILA, Philippines - Asia-Pacific leaders called Thursday for governments to urgently increase cooperation in the fight against terrorism as they wrapped up annual talks haunted by the Paris attacks.