- Getting kids interested in fruits, vegetables Updated: Aug-29-15 2:09 am
GREELEY, Colorado - When a farmer offered her a bag of baby carrots at the Greeley Farmers Market, 3-and-a-half-year-old Elizabeth Shaw wasn't interested. Her father, Jon, offered her a tiny, ripe tomato, but she turned her head. It wasn't until he flashed a bright orange bell pepper and knelt to the little girl's level that Elizabeth's curiosity peaked. Her big brown eyes widened and her little fingers carefully reached out toward the vegetable, as if it might bite.
- Healthy eating helps NFL players achieve fitness goals Updated: Aug-25-15 2:57 am
PHILADELPHIA - Long before Chip Kelly arrived in Philadelphia and banned junk food in favor of personalized smoothies, fitness experts have been helping NFL players get bigger, stronger and faster by changing their eating habits.
- U of SC, local groups team to improve access to healthy food Updated: Aug-19-15 4:28 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The University of South Carolina's school of public health and its medical school are teaming up with community organizations to help people get increased access to fresh and healthy fruits and vegetables.
- Medicaid offers nutrition counseling to combat obesity in SC Updated: Aug-15-15 11:10 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Poor, obese South Carolinians covered by Medicaid can get help slimming down through nutritional counseling sessions aimed at stemming chronic and costly health problems.
- First lady's healthy kids director understands good eating Updated: Aug-13-15 7:02 pm
WASHINGTON - The new director of Michelle Obama's initiative against childhood obesity knows firsthand the benefits of healthy eating.
- Food banks, pantries find new ways to feed more people Updated: Aug-11-15 3:13 pm
Charles Scott is shopping for groceries at a Philadelphia food pantry, busily clicking away at a computer to select his choices of onions, tomatoes and frozen corn.
- Local inventor dreams up gardening robot Updated: Aug-08-15 9:12 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - James Brake was 220 pounds and suffering heart palpitations five years ago when he set out on a journey toward healthy eating.
- Food industry asks for exemptions to trans fat phase out Updated: Aug-05-15 5:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Shortening, pie crusts, brownies and microwave popcorn could be partially exempt from a government phase out of artificial trans fats - if the food industry gets its way.
- Rep. Edwards to attend event on healthy meals in schools Updated: Aug-03-15 2:19 am
CAPITOL HEIGHTS, Maryland - Rep. Donna Edwards is scheduled to attend an event that will highlight an initiative aimed at improving the ability of schools to provide healthy meals to school children.
- Florida health officials host online summer camp Updated: Aug-02-15 10:32 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Can't afford to send your kids to summer camp? Too hot to play camp games outside all day? Florida health officials have a solution. They're hosting an online summer camp for kids to promote exercise, good eating habits and other healthy behaviors.
- Community-sponsored agriculture produces satisfied customers Updated: Aug-02-15 9:50 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - "You know the worst part about this?" Pam McDevitt joked last Tuesday as she picked up her weekly load of produce. "The pressure to use up all this" - she gestured to the corn and cantaloupes and tomatoes - "before Sunday!"