- BlackBerry will buy security company Good Tech for $425M Updated: Sep-04-15 12:49 pm
NEW YORK - BlackBerry said Friday that it will make another security-related acquisition, buying Good Technology for $425 million in cash.
- Samsung, others seek piece of nascent smartwatch market Updated: Sep-03-15 1:15 pm
NEW YORK - Samsung and other tech companies showcased new computerized wristwatches this week - all aimed at challenging Apple, a relative newcomer to selling smartwatches.
- Judge to move forward with suit over NSA's bulk collection Updated: Sep-02-15 3:36 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal judge said Wednesday he plans to push ahead with a challenge to the National Security Agency's bulk collection of telephone data on hundreds of millions of Americans, even as the program is set to expire at the end of November.
- Comcast teeing up new services targeted at millennials Updated: Sep-01-15 5:06 pm
NEW YORK - Comcast, which became a TV powerhouse by signing up Generation Xers, baby boomers and their parents, now is fighting for millennial eyeballs.
- 5 things to watch at the IFA gadget show in Berlin Updated: Sep-01-15 11:56 am
BERLIN - Some 1,500 companies and over 250,000 people are expected to visit Europe's flagship technology show, the IFA in Berlin, when it opens to the public on Friday.
- Apple aims to boost mobile device sales with Cisco's help Updated: Aug-31-15 6:10 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is leaning on Cisco Systems' Internet networking expertise in its latest attempt to sell more iPhones and iPads to corporate customers.
- Samsung unveils circular smartwatch, but are apps available? Updated: Aug-31-15 5:04 pm
NEW YORK - Samsung is juicing up its smartwatch with a circular face and more battery life than the Apple Watch, but it's unknown how many apps will be available for it.
- Google tries to woo iPhone owners with Android watch app Updated: Aug-31-15 12:55 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google is introducing an application that will connect Android smartwatches with Apple's iPhone, escalating the rivals' battle to strap their technology on people's wrists.
- In-flight Internet provider Gogo opens Chicago headquarters Updated: Aug-28-15 4:08 am
CHICAGO - In-flight Internet provider Gogo Inc. is up and running at its new global headquarters in Chicago.
- Sprint offers DirecTV customers free year of phone service Updated: Aug-27-15 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - Sprint is offering DirecTV customers one free year of cellphone service in a bold move aimed at the satellite TV company's new owner, AT&T.
- Jury: Cable company largely responsible in fatal blast Updated: Aug-27-15 4:59 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Time Warner Cable must pay nearly $6 million as part of a lawsuit alleging it was largely responsible for a fatal natural gas explosion that leveled an upscale Kansas City restaurant, jurors ruled Thursday.
- Review: New phones, tablets keep Samsung at Android helm Updated: Aug-27-15 3:19 am
NEW YORK - Samsung's new smartphones and tablets might not offer enough to entice current iPhone and iPad users to switch, but they keep Samsung at the head of the class among Android gadget makers.
- Sitel call center to add 200 jobs in Augusta Updated: Aug-24-15 1:29 pm
AUGUSTA, Georgia - A company that provides customer service workers for contracting clients plans to add 200 jobs at its call center in Augusta.
- As landlines disappear, so does funding for 911 services Updated: Aug-20-15 6:49 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - On a 911 map of the Lake Forest subdivision in Owensboro, the homes light up because nearly everyone in the older neighborhood has a landline.
- FCC: Firm pays $750K settlement for blocking Wi-Fi signals Updated: Aug-20-15 4:19 pm
CINCINNATI - A wireless Internet provider that federal regulators say blocked consumers' personal Wi-Fi signals at convention centers around the country, including Cincinnati and Columbus, must pay a $750,000 fine as part of a settlement with the government.
- Gartner says smartphone sales growth slows Updated: Aug-20-15 3:01 pm
NEW YORK - Worldwide sales of smartphones in the second quarter grew at the slowest pace since 2013 as sales in China declined for the first time, according to research firm Gartner Inc.
- Telecom Digicel relaunches mobile money product in Haiti Updated: Aug-18-15 6:04 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A mobile phone network provider has relaunched a money transfer system in Haiti designed to let people get easier access to cash through their cellphones.
- Google heads down new path with 'OnHub' wireless router Updated: Aug-18-15 2:37 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google is making a Wi-Fi router as part of its ambition to provide better Internet connections that make it easier for people to access its digital services and see more of its online advertising.
- FCC says Dish can't use $3.3B in credits in airwaves auction Updated: Aug-17-15 7:28 pm
NEW YORK - The Federal Communications Commission said Monday that Dish Network Corp. can't apply $3.3 billion in small-business credits toward the purchase of airwaves it gained in a government auction.
- 2 jumbo phones from Samsung ahead of expected new iPhone Updated: Aug-13-15 3:29 pm
NEW YORK - Samsung has unveiled two new Android smartphones with jumbo screens as it seeks to recapture some of the sales lost to Apple after larger iPhones came out last year.
- Cisco rises aftermarket as 4Q results top estimates Updated: Aug-12-15 6:01 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Cisco Systems posted solid fiscal fourth-quarter results Wednesday, sending the computer networking gear maker's shares higher in aftermarket trading.
- Tech Tips: Are you better off keeping Verizon contract plan? Updated: Aug-10-15 5:40 pm
NEW YORK - Verizon is doing the unthinkable: Starting Thursday, the nation's largest wireless company will eliminate two-year service contracts, along with the practice of offering discounted phones for $100 or $200.
- Cablevision 2Q profit beats analysts' estimates, revenue up Updated: Aug-07-15 8:34 am
BETHPAGE, New York - Cablevision's second-quarter profit declined, weighed down by a higher income tax expense. But the performance managed to top analysts' estimates, and revenue improved slightly as it pulled in more money from cable customers.
- Women tweet ilooklikeanengineer, among week's tech chatter Updated: Aug-06-15 8:19 pm
NEW YORK - Thousands of female engineers, coders, self-described science nerds and other tech superstars joined a Twitter campaign this week to break down stereotypes about what engineers should look like.
- Dish TV subscribers fall in 2Q, even with new Sling service Updated: Aug-05-15 2:02 pm
WASHINGTON - Dish Network is losing TV customers, even with its new online video service, Sling TV, that's aimed at millennials who don't want traditional TV service.