- Brazil's Rousseff says impeachment aimed at corruption probe Updated: May-29-16 6:54 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Suspended President Dilma Rousseff said in an interview published Sunday that leaked audio recordings of men backing her impeachment show the effort to oust her is meant to stop a wide-ranging corruption probe that has implicated numerous leading Brazilian politicians and businessmen.
- First week of Hubbard trial concludes Updated: May-29-16 11:44 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The first week of testimony in the ethics trial of Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard concluded with a peek at the business dealings of the influential Republican.
- Johnson's Senate committee to release Tomah report Updated: May-28-16 9:52 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican Sen. Ron Johnson, in the midst of a tough re-election battle, plans to release a report next week detailing a congressional committee's yearlong investigation into a painkiller-abuse scandal at Tomah's Veterans Affairs medical facility, which was once known as "Candy Land."
- The Latest: California predictable work schedule bill dies Updated: May-27-16 7:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on action by the California Legislature (all times local):
- Macedonian president partially annuls politicians' pardons Updated: May-27-16 12:10 pm
SKOPJE, Macedonia - Bowing to domestic and international pressure, Macedonia's president says he is rescinding some of the pardons he issued to politicians accused in a wiretap scandal.
- Jennings City Council ousts mayor Updated: May-27-16 8:26 am
JENNINGS, Missouri - The embattled mayor of the St. Louis suburb of Jennings has been removed from office.
- Final vote on impeachment could come 3 days before Olympics Updated: May-27-16 12:55 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Rio de Janeiro Olympics have been upstaged by the impeachment of President Dilma Rousseff. And it could get worse.
- Nevada political consultant accused of extorting lawmaker Updated: May-26-16 9:19 pm
LAS VEGAS - A Nevada political consultant was indicted in Las Vegas on a variety of charges that include extortion, perjury and filing a false document.
- House panel may recommend criminal charges for state worker Updated: May-26-16 5:36 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A South Carolina House committee will decide whether to recommend perjury charges against a Department of Public Safety official after lawmakers were displeased with her answers about a recording that captured her telling someone it was OK to tell a "white lie."
- Ohio prison watchdog agency spared after director resigns Updated: May-26-16 5:32 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers have decided not to eliminate a state prison watchdog agency after its director agreed to step down.
- US senator testifies at congressman's corruption trial Updated: May-26-16 4:38 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Democratic U.S. Sen. Bob Casey testified for the prosecution Thursday in the trial of a congressman accused of trying to land an ambassadorship for a friend in exchange for a bribe.
- Man convicted of killing lawmaker's 2 sisters gets life term Updated: May-26-16 4:30 pm
PITTSBURGH - A man convicted of killing two sisters of an Iowa state lawmaker was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without parole after a jury deadlocked on whether he should get the death penalty.
- Kansas launches new campaign finance website amid criticism Updated: May-26-16 4:02 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission has launched a new campaign finance website that officials say might not address the public's needs.
- Ex-Winnebago County director charged with embezzlement Updated: May-26-16 3:15 pm
ROCKFORD, Illinois - A former Winnebago County purchasing director faces two federal counts of embezzlement for allegedly taking at least $10,000 and possibly as much as $450,000 from government coffers.
- IOC expresses concern over investigation into Tokyo 2020 bid Updated: May-26-16 7:28 am
TOKYO - IOC vice president John Coates expressed concern Thursday over payments made to a Singapore firm which have entangled Tokyo's winning bid for the 2020 Olympics in a bribery investigation.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- Rhode Island GOP files complaint against state lawmaker Updated: May-25-16 7:21 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Republican Party has filed an ethics complaint against a state representative for failing to disclose her employment with the city of Providence on mandatory fiscal disclosure forms.
- Rauner board asked builders to lobby lawmakers Updated: May-25-16 7:08 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The head of the agency managing state construction solicited help from private builders to lobby for state funding in an email ethics experts say was inappropriate.
- Aide refused to send ex-Michigan lawmaker's false email Updated: May-25-16 6:27 pm
LANSING, Michigan - An aide testified Wednesday that a former Michigan lawmaker asked him to send an outlandishly false, sexually explicit email to thousands of fellow Republicans as a ruse so his extramarital affair with another legislator would not be believed if it became public, but the staffer refused because he thought it was unethical and possibly illegal.
- Hamas planning to execute 13 convicted murderers Updated: May-25-16 1:12 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Gaza's Islamic militant Hamas rulers said Wednesday they intend to execute residents convicted of murder even without the needed approval of the Palestinian president.
- Azerbaijan frees investigative journalist Khadija Ismayilova Updated: May-25-16 1:06 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A prominent, award-winning Azerbaijani journalist was released on probation Wednesday following a storm of international protests about her imprisonment, which has been widely seen as an attempt to silence a critical voice.
- Liberia chairman, speaker charged on alleged bribes Updated: May-25-16 12:50 pm
MONROVIA, Liberia - The chairman of Liberia's ruling party and the speaker of the house of representatives have been charged for allegedly participating in a bribery scheme to get government officials to change a mining law to help a British firm.
- The Latest: Aide: Lawmaker asked me to send false email Updated: May-25-16 12:26 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Latest on the prosecution of two former Michigan lawmakers who were forced from office (all times local):
- Swedish leader reshuffles government after gaffes, scandal Updated: May-25-16 10:59 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven has reshuffled his minority coalition after two ministers from coalition partner the Green Party stepped down amid gaffes and scandals.
- Judge says ex-mayor can stand trial on embezzlement charge Updated: May-25-16 10:46 am
ARDMORE, Oklahoma - A judge says the former mayor of a small town in southern Oklahoma can stand trial on an embezzlement charge.