- Global reaction to Sepp Blatter's decision to resign Updated: Jun-02-15 6:17 pm
Reaction from around the globe to Sepp Blatter's sudden announcement Tuesday that he will step down as FIFA president amid a corruption scandal:
- Blatter says he will resign as FIFA president Updated: Jun-02-15 5:27 pm
ZURICH - The end for Sepp Blatter came suddenly, just days after he had seemingly solidified his hold on FIFA.
- OSBI investigating Oklahoma senator in funding case Updated: Jun-02-15 5:11 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - The Tulsa Better Business Bureau said Tuesday it would audit itself after the state lawmaker who once ran it was fired in April, while the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said it is looking into allegations of misappropriated funds at the BBB.
- FIFA says Valcke not behind $10M payment in corruption probe Updated: Jun-02-15 2:02 pm
GENEVA - Amid a deepening corruption crisis within soccer's governing body that has led to Sepp Blatter's decision to resign, FIFA earlier defended its second-in-command on Tuesday by trying to distance him from claims he helped authorize $10 million in bribes for World Cup bidding votes.
- Sudan swears in President Bashir, wanted in war crimes Updated: Jun-02-15 7:24 am
KHARTOUM, Sudan - Sudan is swearing in incumbent President Omar al-Bashir, who was recently re-elected in a landslide that extended his 25-year-old rule, despite international war crimes charges and multiple insurgencies.
- Lawmakers agree to change terms for sexual assault crimes Updated: Jun-02-15 3:06 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana will change the terms used to describe sexual assault crimes, if Gov. Bobby Jindal agrees to a proposal headed to his desk.
- California Senate OKs scaled-down travel disclosure bill Updated: Jun-01-15 10:01 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California state senators on Monday advanced a scaled-down version of a political ethics bill after the initial proposal was vetoed by Gov. Jerry Brown, who said it would complicate campaign disclosure rather than reduce influence.
- California bill aims to protect immigrant crime victims Updated: Jun-01-15 7:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Senate has approved a bill to help immigrant victims of crime avoid detention and deportation.
- Ex-NY Senate leader, son plead not guilty in corruption case Updated: Jun-01-15 1:26 pm
NEW YORK - The former leader of the New York Senate and his son pleaded not guilty to public corruption charges on Monday after prosecutors told a judge that investigators secretly intercepted thousands of their telephone calls.
- Former SAfrican president issues denial in WCup bid scandal Updated: Jun-01-15 12:30 pm
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Former South African President Thabo Mbeki denied his government paid bribes to secure the 2010 World Cup as the bid scandal began to encroach on the very top of the country's leadership on Monday.
- NYC mayor forms task force to probe sober houses Updated: Jun-01-15 6:19 am
NEW YORK - New York Mayor Bill de Blasio has created a task force to investigate so-called three-quarter houses for potentially exploiting addicts and homeless individuals.
- Guatemalan protesters demand president quit over corruption Updated: May-30-15 9:16 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalans angry over corruption scandals protested on the capital's main square Saturday, pressing their demands that President Otto Perez Molina resign.
- Nigeria's new president declares assets in graft fight Updated: May-30-15 7:14 pm
ABUJA, Nigeria - Nigeria's new President Muhammadu Buhari has publicly declared his assets, a spokesman said Saturday, in a move that is a far cry from his predecessor's adamant refusal to do so.
- Texas GOP moves to strip power from unit tied to Perry case Updated: May-30-15 3:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Legislature has voted to strip public corruption cases from a unit based in left-leaning Austin that was tied to former Gov. Rick Perry's indictment last year.
- Hastert rose to speakership among the scandals of others Updated: May-29-15 7:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Dennis Hastert's career as House speaker both arose and ended amid the sex-related scandals of others.
- FIFA scandal reverberating across soccer-crazy South America Updated: May-29-15 4:59 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Within hours of the FIFA scandal breaking, Sergio Jadue, the president of Chile's soccer federation, was declaring his innocence even though he wasn't formally accused of anything.
- Blatter wins re-election despite FIFA corruption scandal Updated: May-29-15 4:34 pm
ZURICH - In the end, nothing could stop Sepp Blatter.
- Madagascar's president faces impeachment attempt Updated: May-29-15 7:46 am
ANTANANARIVO, Madagascar - Political instability is looming in Madagascar, where lawmakers voted this week to impeach the country's president, who disputed the outcome and whose supporters say the result was falsified.
- Wife of Czech ex-PM acquitted by court of abuse of power Updated: May-29-15 7:22 am
PRAGUE - A Prague court on Friday acquitted the wife of former Czech Prime Minister Petr Necas of abuse of power charges in a case that brought down his government.
- Hawit becomes CONCACAF acting president after Webb charged Updated: May-28-15 6:14 pm
Alfredo Hawit of Honduras has been appointed acting president of CONCACAF and American Ted Howard has been made acting general secretary.
- Ex-South Carolina state Sen. Ford sentenced to probation Updated: May-28-15 2:22 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Former state Senator Robert Ford must serve five years of probation on charges connected to an ethics case involving campaign funds spent on expenses including gym memberships, clothes and male enhancement drugs, according to a sentence handed down Thursday.
- After complaints, Chinese hotelier gets his government's ear Updated: May-28-15 3:47 am
BEIJING - In the wee hours of a March morning, a Chinese hotelier wrote a 5,000-word open letter to his country's premier and posted it on social media. The delicate topic: how local regulators capriciously enforce rules and extort bribes. Within days, officials came knocking.
- Boston Public Library president vows to tighten security Updated: May-28-15 2:10 am
BOSTON - The president of the Boston Public Library says the potential theft of valuable art is a crime against Boston and has promised to strengthen security.
- US, Swiss target top soccer officials in corruption probe Updated: May-27-15 7:38 pm
ZURICH - The U.S. government launched an attack on what it called deep-seated and brazen corruption in soccer's global governing body Wednesday, pulling FIFA executives out of a luxury Swiss hotel to face racketeering charges and raiding regional offices in Miami.
- FIFA now subject to federal probes in US, Switzerland Updated: May-27-15 8:24 am
ZURICH - FIFA's reputation for corruption has reignited spectacularly two days before a presidential election expected to give Sepp Blatter four more years at the head of world soccer.