- Brazil's Rousseff faces growing impeachment threat Updated: Aug-28-15 9:57 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - If the worst economic crisis in a decade, a massive corruption scandal centered on her ruling party and approval ratings in the single digits weren't rough enough for Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, she's now faced with an angry rival who controls the possibility of impeachment proceedings against her.
- Guatemalan prosecutors urge president to resign amid scandal Updated: Aug-27-15 9:37 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Pressure grew Thursday on Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina to resign as business and government offices closed, protesters marched by the thousands and the attorney general's office urged him to step down "to prevent ungovernability that could destabilize the nation."
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case Updated: Aug-27-15 4:00 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge refused Thursday to throw out a racketeering case against a man arrested in a money laundering and corruption probe centered in San Francisco's Chinatown that also led to charges against a California state senator.
- Ex-Republican House staffer imprisoned 1 year for mail fraud Updated: Aug-27-15 3:00 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - George Gallo, the former chief of staff to the Connecticut House Republicans, was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in prison for taking more than $100,000 in payments from a political campaign direct mail company to which he steered business.
- Black Lives Matter boos Washington mayor's anti-crime plans Updated: Aug-27-15 2:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Protesters who interrupted Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser's announcement of her crime-fighting platform say increasing police powers won't reduce violence and the mayor is only paying superficial attention to their concerns.
- Protesters interrupt DC mayor's violent crime announcement Updated: Aug-27-15 12:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Protesters who interrupted District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser's announcement of her crime-fighting platform say increasing police powers won't reduce violence and the mayor is only paying superficial attention to their concerns.
- Prosecutors say congressman seeking to influence jurors Updated: Aug-26-15 10:19 pm
PHILADELPHIA - U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah has tried to influence potential jurors in his racketeering case by publicly boasting about his accomplishments in Congress, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- Platini's credentials as reformer questioned by FIFA rival Updated: Aug-26-15 2:36 pm
LONDON - As Michel Platini prepares to reveal his FIFA presidential vision, a rival contender is launching his campaign by questioning the UEFA leader's long-standing association with Sepp Blatter and his credentials to reform the scandal-tainted governing body.
- Money dealer: Brazil president knew of kickback scheme Updated: Aug-25-15 7:20 pm
SAO PAULO - A convicted black market money dealer who turned state's evidence told lawmakers on Tuesday that Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and her predecessor, former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, knew of the sprawling corruption kickback scheme that has engulfed state-run oil company Petrobras.
- Nigerian graft-fighting commission accused of corruption Updated: Aug-25-15 3:31 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - The chairman of Nigeria's corruption-fighting Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is appearing before the Senate to answer accusations that he diverted billions of dollars.
- NAACP conducting Delaware government discrimination probe Updated: Aug-25-15 9:04 am
DOVER, Delaware - A coalition of pastors and the NAACP that is investigating accusations of discrimination in state government is beginning to seek testimony at hearings in Kent and Sussex counties.
- Ex Guatemalan vice president faces bribery allegations Updated: Aug-25-15 12:13 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors in Guatemala alleged Monday that former Vice President Roxana Baldetti accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal that forced her from office and has shaken the government of President Otto Perez Molina.
- Justice Dept. pushes back against Sen. Menendez's defense Updated: Aug-24-15 11:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department pushed back Monday against efforts by Sen. Bob Menendez to dismiss the corruption indictment against him, calling the case the result of an "exhaustive, focused and disciplined" investigation that spanned more than two years.
- Probe finds misuse of resources by 2 Michigan lawmakers Updated: Aug-24-15 6:02 pm
DETROIT - A preliminary investigation into two Michigan Republican lawmakers who had an affair found misconduct and misuse of taxpayer resources - a finding that could lead to their expulsion from the Legislature.
- Ex-detective pleads guilty to misuse of public funds Updated: Aug-21-15 5:42 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A former Unified Police detective pleaded guilty Friday to misuse of public funds after being accused of not being able to account for $8,500 meant for informants to buy drugs from dealers.
- Leader of Brazil's lower house denies corruption charges Updated: Aug-21-15 5:26 pm
SAO PAULO - The speaker of Brazil's lower house of congress on Friday strongly denied newly filed charges of corruption and said he won't resign from office.
- Ex-lawmaker in Ohio gets probation for theft conviction Updated: Aug-21-15 4:35 pm
PORT CLINTON, Ohio - A former northern Ohio lawmaker has been sentenced to two years' probation for his conviction on a felony theft charge.
- Ohio House Democrat Gerberry pleads guilty, resigns Updated: Aug-21-15 4:26 pm
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The Ohio House's longest-serving Democrat resigned Friday after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor related to the mishandling of campaign funds.
- McAllister seeks political comeback after cheating scandal Updated: Aug-21-15 4:13 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Former U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister, who lost his re-election bid last year after a cheating scandal, is trying to return to Louisiana politics.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Aug-21-15 12:37 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Aug. 20
- Oklahoma state GOP senator admits to $1.8M in fraud, quits Updated: Aug-20-15 5:04 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - A two-term Oklahoma state senator admitted in federal court Thursday that he stole $1.8 million from the nonprofit agency where he worked and filed a false tax return.
- The Latest: State senator pleads guilty to fraud charges Updated: Aug-20-15 4:20 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - The latest on the criminal charges filed against Oklahoma Republican state Sen. Rick Brinkley of Owasso (all times local):
- Ex-Gov. Blagojevich to ask Supreme Court to hear case Updated: Aug-19-15 8:01 pm
CHICAGO - A full appellate court indicated Wednesday that it will not rehear an appeal of Rod Blagojevich's corruption convictions, and his lawyer responded that the imprisoned former Illinois governor will appeal next to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Latest on Blagojevich: Lawyer vows appeal to Supreme Court Updated: Aug-19-15 3:31 pm
CHICAGO - The latest on a federal appeals court indicating Wednesday that the full court won't rehear an appeal by former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich of his corruption convictions (all times local):