- 2 ex-lawmakers in sex scandal face key hearing in case Updated: May-25-16 12:01 am
LANSING, Michigan - Two Michigan lawmakers who were forced from office in a sex scandal face a key hearing on charges that they committed felony misconduct in office.
- House GOP gives election-year airing to IRS gripes Updated: May-24-16 2:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans gave an election-year airing to their complaints about IRS chief John Koskinen Tuesday, telling a GOP-run House committee that he should be impeached for lying to lawmakers and destroying evidence.
- Lawmakers to hold hearings on warden service investigation Updated: May-20-16 9:15 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Lawmakers who oversee the Maine Warden Service have been given the green light to hold hearings on the agency's conduct during an undercover operation and raid in northern Maine.
- Congressional panel holds Denver hearing on VA health care Updated: May-20-16 5:46 am
DENVER - A congressional subcommittee is holding a hearing in Denver to take testimony on VA hospitals and on prescription drugs for veterans.
- Brazil ethics panel questions ex-speaker on bank accounts Updated: May-19-16 2:49 pm
SAO PAULO - The ethics committee of Brazil's lower house began hearings Thursday that could lead to the expulsion of one of the country's most powerful lawmakers.
- Congressional committee to hold hearing on proposed monument Updated: May-19-16 2:05 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A congressional committee will hold a public hearing in Maine over a proposal to create a national monument in the state's Katahdin region.
- Frontier: Telecom takeover led to outages in 3 states Updated: May-18-16 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Frontier Communications blamed its takeover of another company for widespread phone, internet and television service outages in California, Texas and Florida at a legislative hearing Wednesday, saying Frontier inherited corrupt data in its $10.5 billion acquisition of certain Verizon businesses last month.
- Illegal gambling hearing for Rep. Gergely delayed once again Updated: May-18-16 6:31 am
GIBSONIA, Pennsylvania - A preliminary hearing for a Pennsylvania lawmaker accused of using his political influence to benefit an illegal video gambling ring has been postponed again.
- Lawmaker calls for hearing on patient assaults at hospital Updated: May-17-16 11:01 pm
PARAMUS, New Jersey - A New Jersey lawmaker on Monday called for a hearing following a report that there's been increasing violence at a hospital, including attacks on mentally ill children, seniors and vulnerable patients.
- Ex-Navajo lawmaker sent to jail, ordered to pay restitution Updated: May-17-16 10:19 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - A former Navajo Nation lawmaker convicted in a scheme to divert nearly $34,000 in tribal funds to his children has been sentenced to three years in jail.
- Reed: High court nominee Garland 'supremely well-qualified' Updated: May-17-16 2:24 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. Sen. Jack Reed says Supreme Court nominee Merrick B. Garland is "supremely well-qualified" and deserves a fair hearing.
- Leahy: New cases show why Supreme Court needs 9 justices Updated: May-17-16 12:39 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy is pointing to two new unresolved court cases as signs that the Supreme Court needs a full complement of nine justices.
- Senate confirms Obama judicial nominee for Maryland Updated: May-16-16 6:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Monday narrowly confirmed one of President Barack Obama's nominees to be a federal judge in Maryland, overcoming opposition from some conservatives who felt nominee Paula Xinis was too tough on law enforcement in her career as a lawyer and assistant federal public defender.
- Debate underway on renewable energy bills in Ohio Updated: May-14-16 9:43 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State lawmakers have begun hearings on a pair of bills regarding Ohio's renewable energy mandates.
- Supreme Court pick to address grads at Illinois high school Updated: May-12-16 6:28 pm
CHICAGO - A principal in suburban Chicago says Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland will address this year's seniors at the high school where he graduated in 1970.
- Expanding gun background checks to get hearing this summer Updated: May-12-16 6:01 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Senate's judiciary chairman pledged Thursday to hold a hearing this summer on legislation extending the allowed time for background checks on gun sales, though he expects them to go no further.
- Forbes organizing hearing on board aircraft carrier Updated: May-12-16 1:19 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - U.S. Rep. Randy Forbes is organizing a rare legislative hearing on board an aircraft carrier shortly before a contested Republican primary.
- Sen. Markey: Court nominee Garland 'eminently qualified' Updated: May-11-16 4:45 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Edward Markey says President Obama's Supreme Court pick is "an eminently qualified nominee" who deserves a hearing and a vote.
- Hassan hits Washington 'dysfunction,' outlines Senate goals Updated: May-11-16 1:31 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan said Wednesday that combating climate change, supporting women's reproductive rights and making college more affordable will be some of her top priorities if elected to the U.S. Senate.
- Congress putting daily fantasy sports games under scrutiny Updated: May-11-16 12:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress on Wednesday launched a fact-finding mission into the loosely regulated world of fantasy sports games - a multibillion-dollar business that seemingly advertised everywhere during the pro football season.
- Bill allows lawyers for students in sexual assault hearings Updated: May-10-16 5:50 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah lawmakers have launched discussions on a bill for next year that would require state universities allow students who are accused of sexual assault be represented by a lawyer during disciplinary hearings.
- Johnson meets with Garland, still won't confirm him Updated: May-10-16 5:50 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson says he has met with President Barack Obama's U.S. Supreme Court nominee but he still doesn't want the Senate to confirm him.
- Preliminary hearing set for ex-senator in fraud case Updated: May-10-16 2:32 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A former legislator charged in a fraud case is set for a week-long preliminary hearing split between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
- Obama allies use Trump to press GOP on Supreme Court nominee Updated: May-09-16 2:30 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Proponents of President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee believe they have a new winning argument to get the Republican-led Senate to act - the prospect of Donald Trump choosing someone to fill the vacancy.
- House committee to hold hearing on DC home rule Updated: May-05-16 2:11 pm
WASHINGTON - A House committee has scheduled a hearing on District of Columbia home rule in the wake of the city's decision not to submit its budget to Congress for approval.