- Fort Thompson man pleads not guilty to fed officer assault Updated: May-26-16 6:21 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - A Fort Thompson man has pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court to assaulting a federal officer.
- North Carolina inmate says officers beat him for no reason Updated: May-25-16 3:59 pm
LUMBERTON, North Carolina - A 65-year-old prisoner says he was handcuffed when officers attacked him, causing him to be hospitalized for four days, but a prison spokesman disputes the account.
- Man takes proposed $125k deal in police beating, lawyer says Updated: May-24-16 3:27 am
PITTSBURGH - A Pittsburgh man's lawyer says his client has accepted a $125,000 settlement more than six years after the man - who is black - says three white police officers wrongfully arrested him and then beat him.
- Former St. Louis officer pleads not guilty to murder count Updated: May-23-16 12:47 pm
ST. LOUIS - A former St. Louis police officer accused of first-degree murder in connection with a 2011 shooting death while he was on duty has pleaded not guilty.
- Police officer admits using his job to sexually assault teen Updated: May-22-16 10:43 am
MAYS LANDING, New Jersey - A southern New Jersey police officer has admitted using his job to sexually assault a teenage girl.
- Man sentenced to nearly 3 years for assault on BIA officer Updated: May-20-16 7:57 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A man has been sentenced to nearly three years in prison for assaulting a Bureau of Indian Affairs officer on the Fort Berthold Reservation.
- University of Cincinnati says 3 finalists for police chief Updated: May-20-16 10:58 am
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati says it has narrowed its search for a new police chief to three finalists less than a year after a former campus police officer was charged with murder in the fatal shooting of motorist during a traffic stop.
- Akron cop gets probation in beating outside charity event Updated: May-20-16 3:45 am
CLEVELAND - A northeast Ohio police officer will avoid jail but must serve a year of probation for beating a man last spring following a police charity event in Cleveland.
- Washington police officer charged with using excessive force Updated: May-19-16 9:31 pm
SEATTLE - A Washington state police officer who has repeatedly been accused of using excessive force has now been indicted on a federal criminal charge that he pepper-sprayed a person who was under arrest and restrained in a hospital gurney.
- Town to pay $117,000 to officer who assaulted woman, boy Updated: May-19-16 4:00 pm
ROBBINSVILLE, New Jersey - The town has agreed to pay $117,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by a former police officer, who said the police department didn't accommodate a disability that caused him to assault a woman in a wheelchair and her 4-year-old son.
- Egypt arrests rights activist; Amnesty condemns move Updated: May-19-16 2:47 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities arrested on Thursday a well-known advocate for the rights of Egypt's Coptic Christians from his home in Cairo, his lawyer said, the latest in the government's crackdown on rights activists and dissidents.
- Sporting Lisbon lodges complaint about police hitting fan Updated: May-19-16 12:42 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Sporting Lisbon has complained to the police about what it called a "barbaric" assault by riot police on some of its fans.
- Monterey Park officer accused of assault while on duty Updated: May-17-16 8:07 pm
LOS ANGELES - A police officer in the city of Monterey Park has been charged with sexually assaulting or detaining three women while on duty - forcing each of them to expose themselves and touching two of them.
- Kenya: Photos of police violence spark international outrage Updated: May-17-16 5:20 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Widely viewed pictures and video of a protester being kicked by Kenyan riot police as he lay on the ground have caused a stir in this East Africa country, prompting debate on police brutality and civil rights.
- Misconduct charges filed against Chicago police officer Updated: May-17-16 4:57 pm
CHICAGO - Official misconduct charges were filed against a Chicago police officer accused of punching and pushing a man who hit him after being transported to a hospital.
- The Latest: Parts of police shooting video to be released Updated: May-17-16 4:15 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on a case in which an Arizona police officer is charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a man at a hotel (all times local):
- Funeral for woman killed in Maryland shooting spree Updated: May-17-16 5:18 am
ROCKVILLE, Maryland - A funeral is being held for a Maryland woman who police say was fatally shot by a federal security officer now charged in three deaths.
- Ex-St. Louis officer charged with murder in 2011 shooting Updated: May-16-16 7:58 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A former St. Louis police officer was ordered held without bond Monday after being charged with first-degree murder in a 2011 shooting of a 24-year-old man after a chase.
- Kansas man shot, wounded by police accused of assault Updated: May-16-16 4:47 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - A Kansas City, Kansas, man shot and wounded by police after allegedly pointing a shotgun at officers is accused of assault.
- Kenya: Police fire tear gas, make arrests during protests Updated: May-16-16 11:21 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan police fired tear gas on Monday to break up demonstrations urging electoral reforms ahead of general elections next year.
- Chicago replacing agency that reviews police misconduct Updated: May-13-16 10:01 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced Friday that he is abolishing the agency that currently investigates police misconduct and replacing it with a civilian department that he said will have more independence and resources to do its work.
- The Latest: Trooper suspended after beating caught on tape Updated: May-13-16 4:07 pm
FRAMINGHAM, Massachusetts - The Latest on a high-speed police pursuit from Massachusetts to New Hampshire caught on video showing police pummeling a suspect who appeared to be surrendering (all times local):
- Alabama looks to dismiss assault case against police officer Updated: May-12-16 7:40 pm
ATHENS, Alabama - Prosecutors on Thursday moved to drop state charges against a north Alabama police officer accused of assaulting an Indian man during a suspicious person investigation.
- The Latest: Lawyer: Indicted ex-cop bears burden of history Updated: May-11-16 11:59 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The Latest on a former South Carolina police officer indicted on federal charges in the death of a black motorist. (All times local):
- Air Force colonel faces court-martial on sex assault charges Updated: May-11-16 6:11 pm
PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colorado - The Air Force has scheduled an August court-martial for a high-ranking officer charged with rape, assault and adultery.