- Mexico warden, 2 other prison officers charged over riot Updated: Feb-13-16 5:47 pm
MONTERREY, Mexico - The warden, superintendent and a guard have been arrested on murder charges following a prison riot in northern Mexico that killed 49 people, state prosecutors said Saturday.
- Amid multitude of woes, Egypt leader says democracy is back Updated: Feb-13-16 11:02 am
CAIRO - Egypt's president said Saturday that his country has established democratic and constitutional rule after years of turmoil following the 2011 uprising, but rights groups say he has presided over an unprecedented crackdown on dissent.
- Activists say officer's shooting conviction no bellwether Updated: Feb-12-16 5:53 pm
NEW YORK - Police-reform activists, who have come to expect disappointment any time an officer is accused in a killing, expressed surprise Friday over the conviction of a patrolman who shot an unarmed man in a housing project stairwell but said they don't necessarily see the case as a turning point in the national debate over police accountability.
- Ohio police detective acquitted of abuse-related charges Updated: Feb-12-16 3:31 am
CLEVELAND - A suburban Cleveland police officer accused of beating up a man has been acquitted of all charges in U.S. District Court.
- The Latest: Mayor hopes verdict in cop's case brings closure Updated: Feb-11-16 9:16 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on the trial of a New York City police officer charged with fatally shooting a man in a darkened stairwell of a Brooklyn public housing complex (all times local):
- Huntington Beach officer allegedly beaten during bike stop Updated: Feb-11-16 2:11 am
HUNTING BEACH, California - Authorities say a Huntington Beach police officer has been hospitalized after he was beaten by a father and son during a bike stop.
- Connecticut officers sued in stun gun death of Hispanic man Updated: Feb-10-16 5:01 pm
EAST HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut police officers used excessive and racially discriminatory force on a Hispanic man who died shortly after he was beaten and shocked with a stun gun for more than 20 seconds while in police custody, a federal lawsuit alleges.
- Man arrested after 12-hour standoff charged with assault Updated: Feb-10-16 2:25 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - A Bozeman man involved in a 12-hour standoff with police has been charged with assault with a weapon.
- Former California police officer charged with manslaughter Updated: Feb-10-16 12:18 pm
PARADISE, California - A former Northern California police officer has been charged with manslaughter in connection with the shooting death of an unarmed man who was suspected of drunken driving.
- Police officer accused of handcuffing, throwing girlfriend Updated: Feb-10-16 4:50 am
TRUSSVILLE, Alabama - A Birmingham police officer has been accused of handcuffing his girlfriend, holding her against her will and throwing her into walls and down the stairs.
- Trial delayed for NC officer charged in teen's death Updated: Feb-09-16 9:31 am
BOLIVIA, North Carolina - The trial of a Southport police detective charged with voluntary manslaughter in the shooting death of an 18-year-old man has been delayed.
- Prosecutors charge man shot by Kalispell police Updated: Feb-08-16 10:31 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - A man who was shot by Kalispell police has been charged with felony assault on a peace officer.
- Former Indiana police officer admits striking handcuffed man Updated: Feb-08-16 8:26 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - A former South Bend police officer faces up to 10 years in prison after admitting to violating the civil rights of a handcuffed man he pushed into a wall and punched in the face.
- Man accused of dragging officer charged with assault Updated: Feb-08-16 11:42 am
PHILADELPHIA - A man accused of dragging a Philadelphia police officer with his car over the weekend has been charged with aggravated assault and other counts.
- Charges say ex-officer assaulted teen at St. Paul group home Updated: Feb-06-16 8:11 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A retired St. Paul police officer who was a Golden Gloves boxer is accused of physically assaulting a 14-year-old boy at a group home where he worked as a counselor.
- Virginia officer charged with murder in off-duty shooting Updated: Feb-05-16 1:28 pm
CHESTERFIELD, Virginia - A Virginia judge has set bond for a police officer facing a murder charge in the off-duty shooting of an 18-year-old at a car wash.
- Wrongful death lawsuit alleges Hawaii police brutality Updated: Feb-04-16 4:15 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii County police used a stun gun and beat a man while he was incapacitated on the ground then delayed getting him medical attention as he was dying, the man's brother claimed in a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Lawyer: Officer gets $15M in police beating lawsuit Updated: Feb-04-16 4:48 am
NEW YORK - Attorneys say a New York police officer who accused fellow officers of beating him has been awarded more than $15 million in damages.
- Detroit-area officer gets 13 months in prison for assault Updated: Feb-02-16 8:30 pm
DETROIT - A Detroit-area police officer whose bloody beating of a motorist was captured on dashcam video was sentenced to at least 13 months in prison Tuesday, with the judge rebuking him for "Dirty Harry tactics" but still handing down a punishment significantly below the guidelines.
- Former NY police chief mulls plea deal in alleged beating Updated: Feb-02-16 3:26 pm
MINEOLA, New York - A former suburban New York police chief facing federal charges in the alleged beating of a suspect who stole sex toys and pornography from the officer's SUV has been offered a plea deal, his attorney said.
- Former officer charged with sex abuse sentenced to 4 years Updated: Feb-02-16 10:13 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A former police officer has been sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to violating sex abuse laws with students at a residential, educational program run by the Kentucky National Guard.
- Northampton settles with man who alleged police misconduct Updated: Feb-02-16 7:36 am
NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts - The city of Northampton has agreed to pay more than $52,000 to a man who said police used excessive force and wrongfully arrested him outside a bar two years ago.
- Alabama police officer charged with sodomy resigns Updated: Feb-01-16 4:35 pm
ETOWAH, Alabama - Authorities say a Rainbow City police officer has resigned after he was jailed on a felony charge of first-degree sodomy.
- Bangor man sentenced for fatal drunk driving crash Updated: Feb-01-16 12:41 pm
BANGOR, Maine - A Bangor man charged with manslaughter and drunken driving after he crashed his car and fatally injured a passenger has been sentenced to more than two years in prison.
- Audit finds DC police don't use firearms excessively Updated: Jan-28-16 4:34 pm
WASHINGTON - As local officials and the Justice Department begin the process of reforming troubled police departments in Baltimore, Chicago and other cities where officer misconduct has provoked national outrage, police in the nation's capital are showing that sustained reductions in the use of unnecessary force are possible, the department's longtime independent monitor said Thursday.