- NAACP chapter president says police used force on sister Updated: Aug-04-15 7:58 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An NAACP chapter president says police in Eugene, Oregon, used excessive force on his sister after she tried to stop an officer from deploying a Taser stun gun on her 19-year-old son.
- Detective describes unraveling encounter in which man killed Updated: Aug-04-15 5:34 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Albuquerque, New Mexico, police detective testified Tuesday that an officer charged in the shooting death of a homeless man said the encounter began to unravel when the man held two knives and took a defensive stance.
- Evidence mounts in trial of police officer in man's death Updated: Aug-04-15 4:53 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - In the trial of a white Charlotte police officer charged with killing a black man who was seeking help after a car crash, attorneys focused Tuesday on the immediate aftermath of the brief, violent encounter between the two men.
- Man charged with assault in ramming of St. Louis police car Updated: Aug-04-15 1:55 am
ST. LOUIS - A Bellefontaine Neighbors man has been charged after St. Louis police say he intentionally rammed into a squad car.
- Body cameras get little attention from NC lawmakers Updated: Aug-02-15 11:37 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - In the wake of unrest over police killings of unarmed black men in Ferguson, Missouri and Baltimore, the trial of a former Charlotte police officer charged with manslaughter for the 2013 shooting of Jonathon Ferrell has been met with relative calm.
- The Latest: Fired Ohio officer posts bail, gets out of jail Updated: Jul-30-15 8:11 pm
CINCINNATI - Here are the latest developments in the case of the July 19 fatal shooting of a motorist after a traffic stop by a University of Cincinnati police officer (all times local):
- Eugene police officer accused of assaulting suspect in jail Updated: Jul-30-15 8:04 am
EUGENE, Oregon - A veteran Eugene police officer has been accused of beating a suspect in the Lane County Jail last September.
- Wichita settles with man who claimed police officer beat him Updated: Jul-29-15 3:34 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - The city of Wichita has settled a lawsuit accusing an 18-year veteran of the police department of beating a man over what began as an alleged parking violation.
- Worcester reaches settlement in police beating case Updated: Jul-29-15 8:25 am
WORCESTER, Massachusetts - A black Massachusetts man who says in a lawsuit he was beaten while handcuffed by a white police officer has reached an out-of-court-settlement for $225,000.
- 2 New Rochelle men sue NYC over shooting attack last year Updated: Jul-27-15 6:43 pm
NEW YORK - Two New Rochelle men sued New York City on Monday, saying its police department's lax attitude toward alcohol was partially to blame for an off-duty officer shooting repeatedly at their car.
- Ex-Oklahoma officer charged with sex assaults back in jail Updated: Jul-27-15 1:41 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A former Oklahoma City police officer charged with sexually assaulting women while on duty has been ordered to serve 15 days in jail for violating terms of his bond.
- Woman sues Edmonds, Mountlake Terrace Updated: Jul-27-15 11:40 am
EDMONDS, Washington - A woman who claims she was sexually assaulted by a former Edmonds police officer is suing the city and Mountlake Terrace.
- Conference aims to unite efforts of black activist groups Updated: Jul-24-15 5:20 pm
CLEVELAND - Leaders of black activist groups from around the country are gathering in Cleveland this weekend to share thoughts, ideas and stories at a conference aimed at furthering the creation of a modern-day civil rights movement to address systemic problems of police brutality and socio-economic deprivation.
- Long Island man's lawsuit says cops beat him 'relentlessly' Updated: Jul-23-15 8:59 pm
CENTRAL ISLIP, New York - A Long Island man who claims he was pummeled by police officers during an April 2014 traffic stop that was caught on video has filed a federal lawsuit against the officers involved.
- Man convicted in Seattle police slaying gets life in prison Updated: Jul-23-15 8:55 pm
SEATTLE - The man convicted of killing a Seattle police officer in 2009 has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
- Activists for police reform rally ahead of panel meeting Updated: Jul-23-15 5:11 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland activists for civil rights and police reform urged a panel of lawmakers Thursday to take stronger action to increase police accountability, and they criticized lawmakers for not going far enough this year.
- Judge dismisses Northern Illinois University civil lawsuit Updated: Jul-23-15 3:46 pm
DEKALB, Illinois - A federal judge has ruled that the civil rights of a former Northern Illinois University police officer accused of raping a student weren't violated by three other officers who he accused of mishandling evidence in the case.
- Police brutality settlement approved by committee Updated: Jul-23-15 2:40 pm
HONOLULU - A Honolulu City Council committee has approved a settlement in a lawsuit filed by a Waipahu man who claims he was beaten by an off-duty police officer.
- Video rekindles debate about police treatment of blacks Updated: Jul-22-15 7:38 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - When Sandra Bland refused to put out her cigarette, the police officer opened her car door and tried dragging her out of the vehicle. She asked at least four times why she was being arrested and got no answer. When she told him she had epilepsy, he shouted, "Good!"
- Lawsuits filed against Lake Erie island town, police chief Updated: Jul-22-15 2:26 pm
PUT-IN-BAY, Ohio - Two police officers have filed lawsuits against the Lake Erie island resort town of Put-in-Bay and its police chief accused of blocking an investigation into the officers' sexual assault claims.
- Summerville police officer charged with assaulting woman Updated: Jul-22-15 6:35 am
SUMMERVILLE, South Carolina - A Summerville police officer has been arrested and charged with assaulting a woman.
- AP News Guide to case of woman found hanged in Texas jail Updated: Jul-21-15 9:22 pm
HEMPSTEAD, Texas - Dashboard video from a trooper's patrol car shows the traffic stop that led to the arrest of Sandra Bland, a Chicago-area woman found dead in a Texas jail last week.
- Lynch visits Connecticut in stop on community policing tour Updated: Jul-21-15 5:22 pm
EAST HAVEN, Connecticut - A Connecticut town whose police force had a history of mistreating Latinos has transformed itself into a model for improving relations between police and the community, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Tuesday.
- Man who allegedly posed as officer charged with sex assault Updated: Jul-20-15 8:32 pm
SILVER SPRING, Maryland - Montgomery County Police have arrested a man they say posed as a police officer and sexually assaulted a woman in a hotel room.
- Ex-LAPD officer accused in killing pleads not guilty Updated: Jul-17-15 3:16 pm
LOS ANGELES - A former Los Angeles police officer charged with killing a man outside a bar while off-duty has pleaded not guilty to murder and other counts.