- Colorado Bureau of Investigation crime lab has new location Updated: May-28-16 11:19 am
ARVADA, Colorado - The Colorado Bureau of Investigation has moved its lab for fingerprint, ballistics, DNA and other testing from Lakewood to bigger quarters in Arvada.
- Egypt says search for crashed EgyptAir plane narrows Updated: May-27-16 12:40 pm
CAIRO - The search for the EgyptAir plane which crashed last week killing all 66 people on board has narrowed to a 5-kilometer-wide area in the Mediterranean Sea, based on signals from the craft's emergency beacon, Egypt's chief investigator said.
- DNA tests needed to identify Thai school fire victims Updated: May-24-16 11:05 am
BANGKOK - Relatives of a dozen primary-school girls who died in a dormitory fire in northern Thailand are awaiting the results of DNA tests because the bodies of all but five of the 17 victims are too disfigured to be recognizable.
- Forensic experts urged to join Indonesian grave exhumations Updated: May-24-16 3:13 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - A human rights group urged Indonesia to involve forensic experts in exhuming mass graves linked to massacres a half-century ago to ensure the preservation of crucial evidence and allow for the identification of bodies.
- Romania prosecutors probe car death tied to pharma scam Updated: May-23-16 10:38 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's general prosecutor's office on Monday ordered an investigation of a car crash fatality which has been connected to a high-profile pharmaceutical scam.
- DNA of mummified body found in Alton added to US database Updated: May-21-16 9:49 am
ALTON, Illinois - DNA test results of a man's mummified body found in Alton have been put in a national database, and authorities hope that will help figure out his identity.
- Trial to begin for Sterling woman charged with sex assault Updated: May-17-16 9:19 am
KENAI, Alaska - A judge has denied a request by the attorney of a Sterling woman charged with sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy to dismiss the case and suppress the state's DNA evidence.
- Autopsy shows no drugs, alcohol in helicopter pilot's blood Updated: May-16-16 6:31 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - An autopsy report released in a fatal helicopter crash last month in Sevier County shows the pilot had no alcohol or drugs in his blood.
- Wyoming Supreme Court upholds Laramie cold case conviction Updated: May-12-16 8:38 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The Wyoming Supreme Court on Thursday upheld a Laramie man's attempted rape conviction in a cold case dating from 1972.
- Prince's autopsy, toxicology tests may resolve uncertainties Updated: May-12-16 5:38 pm
Prince's autopsy, particularly the toxicology report, may clarify whether prescription painkillers played any part in his death.
- DNA evidence leads to dropped murder charge in 1998 slaying Updated: May-11-16 6:07 pm
BALTIMORE - A man who was has been in prison for about 18 years after he was convicted in the 1998 stabbing death of a 16-year-old girl is expected to be released this week after new tests showed that DNA on the victim's T-shirt did not match his.
- The Latest: Closings conclude in mom's '91 murder trial Updated: May-11-16 5:19 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - The Latest on the trial of a mother accused of killing her 5-year-old son in 1991 (all times local):
- Of 13,700 Ohio rape kits sent for DNA testing, 10,700 done Updated: May-11-16 12:36 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Forensic scientists in Ohio have tested hundreds more sexual assault kits for DNA this spring under an initiative to check for evidence from previously untested kits.
- Illinois bill seeks sexual assault investigation oversight Updated: May-09-16 2:56 pm
ROBBINS, Illinois - A bill that's moving through the Illinois Legislature is aimed at ensuring local police departments properly handle rape investigations.
- Witness: Stabbing death knife DNA no match for man convicted Updated: May-06-16 1:07 pm
COLUMBUS, Mississippi - A witness for a death row inmate says DNA samples taken from a knife used in a stabbing don't match the man convicted.
- Feds seek DNA samples to investigate thefts of 130 guns Updated: May-05-16 3:41 pm
ATLANTA - Federal authorities are seeking a DNA sample - along with hair samples and fingerprints - from at least one suspect as they continue investigating the theft of 130 guns from firearms dealers in several Georgia cities.
- Urbana officers hope crime lab can help solve 1988 cold case Updated: May-04-16 3:22 pm
URBANA, Illinois - Local detectives say they have found evidence that hadn't been sent for testing in the 1988 cold case stabbing of a University of Illinois veterinary student.
- Concerns raised about backlogs at crime labs across Texas Updated: May-03-16 12:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Mark Norwood, sentenced to life in prison for the infamous 1986 slaying of Christine Morton, was to face a jury last September in the similar killing of Debra Baker.
- Finding remains of missing women required exhaustive search Updated: May-02-16 10:32 am
HOUSTON - Shovels and flashlights in hand on a night in mid-February, investigators restarted the search nearly two decades after the girls went missing.
- The Latest: New tests unravel Phoenix freeway shooting case Updated: May-01-16 2:59 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on the dismissal of charges in the Phoenix freeway shooting case (all times local):
- Report: Heart condition didn't cause man's death in custody Updated: Apr-29-16 5:07 pm
BALTIMORE - A man who died after a struggle with Baltimore police officers in 2013 died because he couldn't breathe, and not because of a heart condition as the department's independent review board concluded, according to a new forensic review of his autopsy.