- Psychologists call suspect in clinic shooting delusional Updated: Apr-28-16 8:39 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - A man who acknowledges killing three people at a Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic has a delusional disorder that has caused him to believe for decades that the FBI is persecuting him and that President Barack Obama is the Antichrist, two forensic psychologists testified Thursday.
- The Latest: Competency hearing ends for day without ruling Updated: Apr-28-16 7:18 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The latest on a mental competency hearing for a man who acknowledges killing three people at a Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic: (All times local)
- NY court says DNA evidence requires analyst trial testimony Updated: Apr-28-16 12:56 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's highest court ruled Thursday that DNA evidence presented by prosecutors must be accompanied at trial by at least one analyst involved in the critical stages of its processing or who independently analyzed the raw data.
- Aquino: Canadian's killers also plotted to kidnap Pacquiao Updated: Apr-27-16 8:29 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine president said Wednesday that Abu Sayyaf militants may have plotted to kill him and kidnap boxing star Manny Pacquiao, disclosing previously unknown details about an extremist group blamed for the beheading of a Canadian hostage.
- Judge in '91 murder case weighing testimony of psychologist Updated: Apr-26-16 6:45 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - The judge in the trial of a Florida woman charged with killing her 5-year-old son in 1991 when she lived in New Jersey is weighing whether to allow testimony of a forensic psychologist.
- Bergen judge to hear cases involving tainted forensic lab Updated: Apr-26-16 5:16 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A judge in Bergen County has been named to consider cases that were handled by a northern New Jersey forensic lab accused of shoddy work.
- Human skull, bone found in ditch at Berkeley national lab Updated: Apr-26-16 12:10 am
BERKELEY, California - Authorities say identifying a human skull and a bone found last week on the property of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has proved difficult.
- Defense challenges evidence used to link DNA in 1989 murders Updated: Apr-25-16 3:03 pm
PHILADELPHIA - An attorney representing a New Jersey man accused of having killed two women in north Philadelphia more than a quarter-century ago is challenging the evidence used in DNA testing that linked the crimes to his client.
- DNA test orders for man who says he's Johnny Tapia's dad Updated: Apr-22-16 11:24 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A man who says he is the biological father of the late boxer Johnny Tapia will need a DNA test to prove it.
- Ohio judge hears arguments on wiretaps in 1992 slaying probe Updated: Apr-21-16 12:34 am
LEBANON, Ohio - A southwest Ohio judge will rule later on whether wiretaps can be used as evidence in the murder trial of an Arizona man arrested last year in a 1992 slaying.
- Man charged in 2002 killing of Carlsbad woman Updated: Apr-20-16 8:24 pm
CARLSBAD, New Mexico - Authorities say they have arrested a man in the killing of a woman who was found shot 13 years ago in an alfalfa field east of Carlsbad.
- Coroner: Man found dead in Metairie canal identified Updated: Apr-20-16 8:56 am
METAIRIE, Louisiana - The Jefferson Parish coroner's office has identified the man whose body was found floating in the middle of a Metairie drainage canal.
- Norwalk police reopen 1975 homicide of 74-year-old man Updated: Apr-18-16 8:18 am
NORWALK, Connecticut - Norwalk police have reopened an unsolved 1975 homicide.
- Court sets arguments in condemned killer's DNA test appeal Updated: Apr-16-16 9:55 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Supreme Court has scheduled arguments in an appeal involving a death row inmate who sought DNA testing on a cigarette butt found near the scene of the 1990 double murder that led to his sentence.
- Prosecutor: White officer shot black man in self-defense Updated: Apr-13-16 2:09 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A white North Carolina officer acted in self-defense and won't face charges for shooting a black man in a case that sparked outcry in his predominantly black neighborhood, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
- CSI for animals: Forensic vets battle pet abuse, neglect Updated: Apr-12-16 10:17 am
NEW YORK - The cocker spaniel arrives to the animal hospital with a police officer, whimpering and shaking. He has a pus-filled pink socket for a left eye and is so skinny his spine and ribs show through his caramel-colored fur.
- Virginia officials hope facial sculptures solve mysteries Updated: Apr-09-16 10:49 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Their identities are a mystery: the remains of eight people found dead in Virginia between 1972 and 2014, two of them victims of a double murder nearly three decades ago.
- Anglican leader says DNA tests have revealed his real father Updated: Apr-09-16 6:21 am
LONDON - The archbishop of Canterbury says DNA tests have identified his real father, but the revelation hasn't shaken his sense of identity.
- NY medical examiner who oversaw office on 9/11 dies at 79 Updated: Apr-08-16 8:57 pm
NEW YORK - Dr. Charles Hirsch, who oversaw the city medical examiner's office for more than two decades and whose staff helped identify the remains of Sept. 11 victims, has died. He was 79.
- Exonerated man released from Virginia prison after 33 years Updated: Apr-08-16 3:39 pm
BURKEVILLE, Virginia - As he walked into the Virginia sun after spending 33 years in prison for crimes authorities now say he didn't commit, the fact that his parents weren't there to see him become a free man weighed heavily on Keith Allen Harward's mind.
- Michigan apartment complex using DNA to identify dog feces Updated: Apr-07-16 3:50 pm
CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A high-end apartment community near Grand Rapids plans to use DNA technology as a way to sniff out dog owners who fail to pick up their pets' feces.
- Attorney general: Man wrongfully convicted of rape, murder Updated: Apr-06-16 3:56 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - DNA evidence proves that a man who is serving a life sentence was wrongfully convicted of rape and murder more than three decades ago, Virginia's attorney general said Wednesday.
- Correction: Killings by Police-Minneapolis story Updated: Mar-31-16 4:35 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - In a story March 31 about a prosecutor declining to charge two Minneapolis police officers in the death of a black man, The Associated Press erroneously reported the first name of one of the officers. He is Dustin Schwarze, not Mark Schwarze.
- The Latest: Minneapolis protest moves to police precinct Updated: Mar-31-16 12:28 am
MINNEAPOLIS - The Latest on the decision to not charge Minneapolis officers in the death of Jamar Clark (all times local):
- Man sentenced for killing Portland woman in 1988 cold case Updated: Mar-30-16 6:59 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A man who killed his downstairs neighbor in the 1980s and got away with it for more than a quarter-century was sentenced Wednesday to 11 years in prison.