- Defense secretary discusses concerns in South China Sea Updated: May-27-16 4:18 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - China could be erecting "a Great Wall of self-isolation" with its increasingly provocative moves against its neighbors, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Friday.
- Teen cancer survivor's wish to walk at graduation denied Updated: May-27-16 3:29 pm
MESA, Arizona - A suburban Phoenix high school didn't allow a student who was diagnosed with cancer but worked to keep up with classes through treatment to walk with his graduating class.
- Spielberg to Harvard grads: Be the movie heroes of real life Updated: May-26-16 7:16 pm
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts - In a world full of villains, Harvard University graduates must become the heroes, filmmaker Steven Spielberg told the 2016 class during a commencement address Thursday.
- Obama tells Native American students to live their values Updated: May-26-16 6:57 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Michelle Obama told graduates at a Native American high school Thursday to take pride in their history and cultures at a time when she says the "loudest voices in the national conversation" suggest turning away from the tribal values that were part of their education.
- The Latest: Native American grads told to live their values Updated: May-26-16 6:53 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Latest on Michelle Obama's remarks to graduating seniors at Santa Fe Indian School (all times local):
- Bill Moyers turns down $35,000 speaking fee from Rutgers Updated: May-26-16 5:09 pm
PISCATAWAY, New Jersey - PBS journalist Bill Moyers has turned down a $35,000 fee that Rutgers University offered for speaking at part of its graduation ceremony.
- Correction: Commencement Speaker Costs story Updated: May-26-16 4:53 pm
BOSTON - In a story May 20 on fees paid by colleges to commencement speakers, The Associated Press, relying on information from Rutgers University, reported erroneously that it had paid PBS journalist Bill Moyer $35,000 for an address. The university now says that Moyers had informed a school official before the ceremony that he would not accept the fee.
- Former state judge to finally wear cap and gown Updated: May-26-16 12:05 pm
MORA, New Mexico - Former state District Judge Matias A. Zamora will finally get to participate in his high school graduation ceremony, something he was unable to do 70 years ago when he was drafted into the U.S. Army.
- Kalispell students barred from commencement after vandalism Updated: May-26-16 4:46 am
KALISPELL, Montana - Twenty Kalispell students have been barred from participating in their high school graduation ceremony in connection with a break-in and vandalism at the school.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:55 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Yale commencement includes first ROTC graduates since 70s Updated: May-24-16 6:48 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Defense Secretary Ashton Carter handed out commissions to the Yale's first ROTC graduating class in more than four decades.
- Resignations sought after goatee blocks grad from ceremony Updated: May-23-16 8:02 pm
AMITE, Louisiana - A Louisiana chapter of the NAACP wants a school superintendent and three school board members to resign after a high school valedictorian was blocked from participating in graduation for refusing to shave his beard.
- High school students in Farmington receive scholarships Updated: May-23-16 12:40 pm
FARMINGTON, Iowa - A Farmington high school that's closing its doors has given college scholarships to each of its students.
- Arianna Huffington reminds graduates: Get some rest Updated: May-22-16 7:08 pm
WATERVILLE, Maine - Arianna Huffington advises college graduates that if they want to be a force for change, get plenty of rest.
- Sotomayor to graduates: Learn from your mistakes Updated: May-22-16 5:17 pm
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor has advised the class of 2016 at the University of Rhode Island to hold onto the memories they've created and learn from their mistakes.
- Ohio college holds commencement ceremonies Updated: May-22-16 11:07 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A central Ohio college that helps working adults earn degrees has its commencement ceremonies Sunday.
- Twin sisters to graduate at top of Trinity College class Updated: May-22-16 10:01 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Twin sisters from Glastonbury are graduating at the top of their class at Trinity College.
- UVM holds 215th commencement ceremonies Updated: May-22-16 8:26 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - The University of Vermont is holding its 215th commencement ceremonies this weekend.
- Obama adviser to Colby College seniors: embrace citizenship Updated: May-21-16 7:37 pm
WATERVILLE, Maine - White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett has told seniors at Colby College that while technology makes the world smaller and brings people together, it also causes fear of change and the unknown, which spawns conflict and polarizing politics.
- Biden: Diverse military of women, gays strengthens US forces Updated: May-21-16 2:41 pm
WEST POINT, New York - Vice President Joe Biden told the U.S. Military Academy's class of 2016 on Saturday that greater diversity, including more women and openly gay soldiers, will strengthen the country's armed forces.
- Yale's gender neutral bathrooms part of changing climate Updated: May-21-16 11:01 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Visitors at Yale University's 315th commencement will notice something new on campus this year - gender-neutral bathrooms in 23 buildings.
- Survivors of tornado that leveled Missouri city look back Updated: May-21-16 10:40 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A sky-darkening storm was working its way into southwest Missouri around dinnertime on a Sunday evening, zeroing in on the city of Joplin.
- Boston-area colleges to celebrate graduation ceremonies Updated: May-21-16 10:02 am
BOSTON - Several Boston-area colleges are preparing to celebrate their commencement ceremonies.
- Graduation ceremonies being held at UNH, Saint Anselm Updated: May-21-16 8:41 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - College commencement season marches on in New Hampshire, with graduation ceremonies being held Saturday at the University of New Hampshire, Saint Anselm College and Nashua Community College.
- Oregon governor tells grads about her former closeted life Updated: May-20-16 2:48 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Willamette University President Stephen Thorsett introduced Oregon Gov. Kate Brown to a crowd of thousands last weekend as the school's 2016 commencement speaker.