- Christmas in August: Wal-Mart's holiday layaway comes early Updated: Aug-27-15 9:35 am
NEW YORK - Wal-Mart is giving customers a head start on holiday shopping, launching its annual layaway program two weeks earlier than last year.
- See What?: Iconic schemes to run at Darlington Updated: Aug-26-15 4:48 pm
DARLINGTON, South Carolina - The Southern 500 will have a familiar feel, and not just because the race has returned to Labor Day weekend.
- Utah Capitol could get Christmas tree for 1st time since '08 Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah's state Capitol building this year could have a Christmas tree in its rotunda for the first time since 2008.
- Ukraine vows to increase troops to fend off rebel attacks Updated: Aug-24-15 2:02 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine's president vowed to increase troop numbers to fend off attacks by Russia-backed separatist rebels and warned his countrymen that there is still the threat of a "large-scale invasion," in an impassioned speech to mark Independence Day on Monday.
- Lewis and Clark River Bridge open by Labor Day Updated: Aug-21-15 1:43 pm
ASTORIA, Oregon - The Lewis and Clark River Bridge that has been closed since December is set to reopen in time for Labor Day weekend.
- Sierra Leone awaits countdown to Ebola-free declaration Updated: Aug-19-15 1:43 pm
MASSESSEHBEH, Sierra Leone - It had been five months since the last Ebola case in Musa Kamara's village when he returned home for festivities to mark the end of Ramadan. Not long after his sudden death in this roadside village, authorities came with a grim message: The killer virus was back.
- Vancouver City Council weighs personal fireworks ban Updated: Aug-18-15 12:04 pm
VANCOUVER, Washington - The city of Vancouver, Washington, is weighing a ban on personal fireworks within city limits following a Fourth of July that saw a spike in property damages and emergency calls.
- Project Appleseed teaches rifle history, marksmanship skills Updated: Aug-16-15 1:52 pm
BUFORD, Georgia - Two weeks before Christmas in 2006, Wade Cummings returned to his Flowery Branch house to discover it had been burglarized.
- Charleston restaurant owners hand out burritos to the hungry Updated: Aug-16-15 10:19 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - It was a hot afternoon in August. The regular lunch crowd at Mi Cocina de Amor on Charleston's West Side had dispersed, but owners Frank and Julia Gonzales had plenty of other hungry people they intended to feed.
- Georgia officials plan Labor Day drunk driving enforcement Updated: Aug-15-15 6:15 am
ATLANTA - A Georgia highway safety official says law enforcement will be out in force for the Labor Day weekend trying to prevent drunk driving.
- Massachusetts shoppers enjoy sales tax holiday weekend Updated: Aug-15-15 6:13 am
BOSTON - Massachusetts shoppers looking for summer dog day deals are expected to crowd local stores for another sales tax holiday this weekend.
- India's Modi touts government achievements in annual speech Updated: Aug-15-15 5:50 am
NEW DELHI - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touted his government's poverty alleviation schemes in his Independence Day speech on Saturday, but the address was thin on plans for the future and made no mention of the setbacks to his economic reform agenda.
- An Aspen clown born by accident Updated: Aug-15-15 2:08 am
ASPEN, Colorado - Never once did Tammy Baar think she was going to be a clown until, well, she became one.
- Authorities: Woman who set 30+ fires gets 20 years in prison Updated: Aug-14-15 12:04 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A Louisville woman who authorities say admitted to setting a series of fires throughout the city has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
- Rockin' the Big Horns: 15 years of Nowoodstock Updated: Aug-13-15 5:10 am
TEN SLEEP, Wyoming - Traditions die hard in Ten Sleep.
- Police officers rescue groundhog with head stuck in tin can Updated: Aug-12-15 6:15 pm
BETHLEHEM, Pennsylvania - One lucky groundhog might live to see another Groundhog Day thanks to authorities in eastern Pennsylvania.
- Ohio offers sales tax holiday for back-to-school shopping Updated: Aug-08-15 7:04 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio is offering its first-ever sales tax holiday this weekend to help back-to-school shoppers reduce the cost of clothing and school supplies.
- Illinois opts out of back-to-school sales tax holiday Updated: Aug-07-15 4:12 pm
CHICAGO - Shoppers in neighboring states like Missouri and Iowa will enjoy a back-to-school sales tax holiday, but it won't be offered to those in Illinois.
- Oklahoma retailers expect soaring sales on sales tax holiday Updated: Aug-06-15 4:18 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma retailers were re-stocking their shelves Thursday as they prepared for the state's annual sales tax holiday on back-to-school clothing and shoes, a shopping frenzy that coincides with the beginning of another school year.
- Tax holiday for back-to-school shoppers Updated: Aug-06-15 2:49 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Shoppers in New Mexico can expect to save this weekend on back-to-school purchases as the state conducts its annual tax holiday.
- Report: Mansion fire that killed 6 accidental Updated: Aug-05-15 4:39 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - An exhaustive six-month probe has determined a damaged electric plug under a large Christmas tree sparked a mansion fire that spread so quickly a Maryland couple and four of their grandchildren couldn't escape, despite a functioning alarm system, according to report released by federal investigators.
- Harpham denied appeal for planting bomb Updated: Aug-04-15 11:46 am
SPOKANE, Washington - A federal judge has denied an appeal by a man serving a 32-year prison sentence for planting a bomb along the route of the Martin Luther King Day parade in Spokane in 2011.
- Group plans for Chicago Halloween parade Updated: Aug-04-15 4:53 am
CHICAGO - A new Chicago parade is in the works - one that'll happen at night.
- South Bend becoming a locale for filmmaking in region Updated: Aug-04-15 4:04 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - The image was surreal: Frankenstein's monster eating a sandwich, all smiles and chit-chat with a crew member who was munching on some watermelon.
- Iowa sales tax holiday set for next weekend Updated: Aug-01-15 1:19 pm
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - Iowa's annual sales tax holiday set to coincide with back-to-school shopping also brings Nebraskans looking for bargains across the Missouri River.