- Louisiana State Police made impact on Mardi Gras security Updated: Feb-11-16 8:06 am
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana State Police deployed approximately 170 troopers from across the state to assist with the Mardi Gras festivities in New Orleans.
- Author of 'Thirteen Reasons Why' has new novel coming Updated: Feb-10-16 1:35 pm
NEW YORK - The author of "Thirteen Reasons Why," the million-selling young adult novel being developed as a Netflix series, has finished his first solo work of fiction in nearly a decade.
- Death of pelican during parade under federal investigation Updated: Feb-10-16 10:30 am
PASS CHRISTIAN, Mississippi - State and federal authorities are investigating the death of a juvenile pelican after Sunday's St. Paul's Carnival Association parade in Pass Christian.
- New Orleans police seize 30 guns during Carnival season Updated: Feb-10-16 7:52 am
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans police confiscated 30 guns over the past 12 days while on patrol on or near the Mardi Gras parade routes.
- The Latest on Mardi Gras: Gunfire on parade route Updated: Feb-09-16 9:11 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on Mardi Gras in New Orleans (all times local):
- Assembly approves bill allowing Christmas trees in churches Updated: Feb-09-16 9:09 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Assembly has passed a bill prohibiting government officials from banning live Christmas trees in churches and the state Capitol rotunda.
- With costumes, beads, music, New Orleans marks Fat Tuesday Updated: Feb-09-16 8:21 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Dressed in elaborate costumes, dancing to the beat of brass bands and clamoring for beads from passing floats, thousands of people gathered in the streets of New Orleans to mark the culmination of the famous Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday.
- Love run: Los Angeles Marathon offers weddings for runners Updated: Feb-09-16 2:28 pm
LOS ANGELES - Love will be in the air at this weekend's Los Angeles Marathon.
- Sheriff: Deputies fatally shoot man near Mardi Gras parades Updated: Feb-09-16 1:46 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Officials say deputies fatally shot a man after an altercation and a car chase that ended near Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans.
- 12 mirrored hearts in Times Square celebrate Valentine's Day Updated: Feb-09-16 11:47 am
NEW YORK - Times Square is ready for Valentine's Day.
- Alexandria seeks bigger, better fireworks Updated: Feb-09-16 5:06 am
ALEXANDRIA, Indiana - There's nothing more small-town Indiana than a summer festival where the smell of corn dogs and elephant ears wafts through the air to the tune of fireworks booming overhead.
- 2 more join federal lawsuit challenging live Nativity scene Updated: Feb-09-16 4:01 am
ELKHART, Indiana - Two more parents have joined a federal lawsuit challenging a northern Indiana school district using a live Nativity scene as part of its annual Christmas show.
- Police: 2 guns in Miss shooting that killed 2, wounded 4 Updated: Feb-08-16 3:24 pm
Two guns were used in a shooting that killed two men and injured four other people after a Mardi Gras parade in Mississippi, but investigators don't know how many people fired them, the police chief said Monday.
- Hundreds of thousands celebrate Carnival in Cologne Updated: Feb-08-16 1:07 pm
COLOGNE, Germany - Hundreds of thousands of people packed the streets of Cologne for its annual Rose Monday parade, the culmination of five days of Carnival festivities that took place amid heightened security following robberies and sexual assaults in the city on New Year's Eve.
- 2 dead, 4 injured after Mississippi Mardi Gras parade Updated: Feb-08-16 11:47 am
Police are questioning witnesses to a shooting that left two men died and four others injured after a Mardi Gras parade in Mississippi.
- Chinese visit temples, fairs to ring in Year of the Monkey Updated: Feb-08-16 11:20 am
BEIJING - Chinese and others around Asia flocked to temples and fairs to pray for good health and fortune on Monday, the first day of the Lunar New Year.
- Police: Shots fired during New Orleans parade, no injuries Updated: Feb-07-16 11:55 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans police say shots were fired along a Mardi Gras parade route but no one was injured.
- UN condemns NKorea launch, pledges significant new sanctions Updated: Feb-07-16 11:41 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The U.N. Security Council condemned North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket that world leaders called a banned test of ballistic missile technology and another "intolerable provocation." The U.N.'s most powerful body pledged to quickly adopt a new resolution with "significant" new sanctions.
- Injured traffic officer back on road after 5-month recovery Updated: Feb-07-16 9:16 pm
HOUMA, Louisiana - It took him five months to get out of a wheelchair and back on his motorcycle after a traffic wreck in September. But sheriff's Lt. Keith Faul has reached his goal: he's back riding in the squad that clears the way for Terrebonne Parish Mardi Gras parades.
- The Latest: Dead ID'd in shooting after Mississippi parade Updated: Feb-07-16 8:17 pm
PASS CHRISTIAN, Mississippi - The Latest on a shooting in south Mississippi after a Mardi Gras parade (all times local):
- 5 hurt when porch collapses in St. Louis during Mardi Gras Updated: Feb-07-16 1:15 pm
ST. LOUIS - A second-floor porch in St. Louis collapsed, injuring five people, two seriously.
- Zoo uses Chinese New Year to highlight endangered species Updated: Feb-07-16 10:49 am
PARAMUS, New Jersey - A Chinese New Year celebration Saturday at the Bergen County Zoo, heralding the year of the monkey, put the spotlight an endangered species distinct for its red fur and small head surrounded by a lion-like mane.
- Birmingham's 19th-century Mardi Gras Updated: Feb-07-16 10:05 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - On March 9, 1886, Birmingham residents were greeted with a report in The Birmingham Age newspaper declaring the city's first Mardi Gras a success. A headline said: "German Mardi Gras: King Carnival Captures the City and the Scene is Witnessed by a Large Crowd."
- New Year's fireworks a little quieter in Chinese capital Updated: Feb-07-16 1:08 am
BEIJING - Much of China's population can expect sub-standard sleep after the country starts ringing in the Year of the Monkey. The rat-a-tat snaps of firecrackers, whistling rockets and mortar-like fireworks with possibly enough gunpowder to down a small aircraft will make sure of that.
- Lillard scores 21 to help Portland beat Houston 96-79 Updated: Feb-06-16 9:05 pm
HOUSTON - The Portland Trail Blazers were determined that this trip to Houston would end much better than their last visit here when they were stung by a tough overtime loss to the Rockets.