- NY redesigns domestic violence form to aid investigations Updated: May-03-16 7:23 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state has redesigned the domestic violence incident report form used by police officers in an effort to aid investigations and help victims.
- Restraining order bill receives final legislative approval Updated: May-02-16 8:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Legislation that would bar people with temporary restraining orders against them from possessing firearms was sent Monday to Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's desk.
- Southern Idaho domestic violence shelter faces money trouble Updated: May-02-16 3:13 pm
BURLEY, Idaho - A southern Idaho domestic violence shelter is vowing to remain open although it failed to obtain a $200,000 grant.
- The Latest: Iditarod bans musher in domestic violence case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:08 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Latest on the Iditarod banning a musher facing domestic violence charges from next year's race (all times local):
- The Latest: House passes restraining order change Updated: Apr-28-16 12:00 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on bill barring people with temporary restraining orders from possessing firearms (all times local):
- Ohio Senate weighs shielding violence victims' address info Updated: Apr-26-16 12:45 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Senate is continuing debate of legislation that would shield the addresses of victims of domestic violence, stalking and other crimes from use by government agencies.
- Advocates: Vegas woman slaying illustrates findings of study Updated: Apr-17-16 10:47 am
LAS VEGAS - The shotgun killing of a Las Vegas woman on a neighbor's doorstep as she fled from her ex-husband and pleaded for help illustrates a deadly trend found in a study of the link between firearms and domestic violence-related homicides, gun-control advocates say.
- House votes to protect pets in domestic violence cases Updated: Apr-14-16 7:44 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - A bill expanding legal protections for animals in domestic violence situations has passed the Alaska House and is headed for the Senate.
- Michigan Senate approves overhaul of domestic violence laws Updated: Apr-14-16 5:28 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Senate overwhelmingly approved a seven-bill package on Thursday that would overhaul the state's domestic violence laws.
- NY office, Astor heir, urge blowing whistle on elder crimes Updated: Apr-12-16 10:33 am
ALBANY, New York - New York has confirmed more than 7,000 claims from crime victims over age 60 in the past three years, though state authorities think many more older New Yorkers face unreported injuries, thefts and abuse, often by caregivers.
- Walker signs bills expanding crime victim rights Updated: Apr-11-16 5:27 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has signed a series of bipartisan bills expanding rights of crime victims.
- NY opens insurance enrollment to domestic violence victims Updated: Apr-11-16 11:33 am
ALBANY, New York - New York is requiring insurers providing individual coverage through the state health exchange to allow victims of domestic violence or abandonment to enroll at any time.
- Slaying prompts review of protection from abuse law Updated: Apr-10-16 1:35 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The murder of a woman by a former boyfriend who then killed himself outside a central Pennsylvania ice cream shop last fall has prompted state lawmakers to take another look at the commonwealth's protection from abuse law.
- Clothesline Project draws attention to victims of violence Updated: Apr-10-16 10:24 am
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - Brightly colored swaths of fabric swayed in stark contrast to a somber sky more suited for winter than spring.
- 2 soldiers get vastly different sentences for deadly crimes Updated: Apr-09-16 3:05 am
TACOMA, Washington - Two soldiers from the same Joint Base Lewis-McChord infantry battalion experienced two very different kinds of justice when they came home from training events a year apart and carried out deadly crimes.
- Connecticut inmates donate funds to pay for police tool Updated: Apr-08-16 6:45 am
BROOKLYN, Connecticut - A donation from inmates at the Brooklyn Correctional Institution in eastern Connecticut will help fund a tool used by police officers investigating cases of domestic violence.
- McAuliffe vetoes concealed guns for abuse victims bill Updated: Apr-07-16 4:02 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe has vetoed legislation to allow people who are protected by a protective order to carry a hidden handgun without getting a permit.
- Iowa Senate OKs legislation over domestic violence penalties Updated: Apr-06-16 4:08 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Senate has passed legislation that would increase penalties for repeat domestic abusers.
- Lynn man convicted of killing ex-girlfriend in 2013 Updated: Apr-05-16 8:17 am
BOSTON - A Lynn man has been convicted of murder in the beating death of his former girlfriend, whose body was found in an East Boston parking garage in August 2013.