- Central Fla. congregations preaching on domestic violence Updated: Oct-03-15 12:50 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - Houses of worship across central Florida are using their pulpits this weekend to discuss domestic violence.
- Former Alabama first lady "doing fine" after divorce Updated: Oct-02-15 10:52 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Former Alabama first lady Dianne Bentley said she is "doing fine" days after her divorce from Gov. Robert Bentley, and she still hopes to represent the state in an unofficial capacity.
- Meeting set for part of Haley's domestic violence panel Updated: Oct-02-15 10:18 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Part of Gov. Nikki Haley's task force on domestic violence is meeting this week.
- UConn releases newly required report on sexual assaults Updated: Oct-01-15 5:38 pm
STORRS, Connecticut - The University of Connecticut reported Thursday that it dealt with 85 sexual assault complaints last year and seven students were expelled as a result.
- NYC first lady part of new domestic violence awareness push Updated: Oct-01-15 2:00 am
NEW YORK - First Lady Chirlane McCray is spearheading a new push to raise awareness of domestic violence in New York City.
- Indiana House majority leader resigns after apologetic text Updated: Sep-30-15 7:03 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A ranking lawmaker who abruptly resigned from the Indiana House says he made "mistakes" that he needs to remedy with his family, a week after apologizing to friends and acquaintances for "anything offensive" they may have received from his cellphone.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Sep-30-15 4:43 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
- Report: Man flunked probation drug tests before killing baby Updated: Sep-30-15 3:33 pm
NEW BRITAIN, Connecticut - A Connecticut man who pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a family friend's 1-year-old daughter flunked drug tests in violation of his probation but was not sent back to prison in the months leading up to the killing, according to a new report released by child advocates Wednesday.
- Va. gov, AG seek gun laws to protect domestic victims Updated: Sep-30-15 3:21 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe is challenging the General Assembly to approve legislation to keep guns out of the hands of people who have committed domestic violence.
- Shelter for battered spouses sues over $530K in lost funding Updated: Sep-29-15 3:06 pm
PITTSBURGH - A homeless shelter for battered spouses and their children sued the county's Department of Human Services on Tuesday for $530,000 in federal housing funding.
- Man cleared of trying to kill wife sentenced on other crimes Updated: Sep-29-15 6:26 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A Bismarck man found not guilty of trying to kill his wife has been sentenced to three years in prison on lesser charges, with most of the time suspended.
- Baton Rouge deputy kills man who was stabbing woman Updated: Sep-27-15 12:24 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - An East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputy has shot and killed a man who was stabbing a woman, just a day after bonding out of jail in an earlier domestic incident.
- States monitor alcohol offenders with twice-daily tests Updated: Sep-27-15 11:30 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Every day before sunrise, people stream through a nondescript door behind the county jail in South Dakota's largest city.
- NY extends protection orders in domestic sex assaults Updated: Sep-22-15 3:52 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo has signed legislation to ensure orders of protection in domestic sex assaults are extended through their attacker's probation term.
- Cities told of victim exception in nuisance law Updated: Sep-21-15 3:13 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Civil rights advocates are trying to prepare Illinois cities with so-called nuisance laws about too many police calls for new exceptions protecting domestic abuse victims and disabled people.
- New York City seeks to add more housing for abuse victims Updated: Sep-21-15 4:56 am
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is seeking to add more housing for individuals and families fleeing domestic violence in an effort to curb the city's ongoing problems with homelessness.
- Man pleads not guilty in killing of pregnant ex-girlfriend Updated: Sep-16-15 2:10 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A North Little Rock man on Wednesday pleaded not guilty to capital murder in the fatal shooting of his pregnant ex-girlfriend in June.
- AG Healey, Patriots, partner against teen dating violence Updated: Sep-15-15 6:03 pm
BOSTON - Attorney General Maura Healey and the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation joined forces in an effort to stem the tide of teen dating violence in Massachusetts high schools.
- Oklahoma ranks 6th in US in rate of women killed by men Updated: Sep-15-15 4:18 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A nationwide study released Tuesday ranks Oklahoma sixth in the nation in the rate of women killed by men, the third year in a row Oklahoma has ranked in the top 10 states.
- Training sessions focus on domestic violence cases Updated: Sep-14-15 5:01 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Two regional training sessions for Kentucky law enforcement will focus on issues involving fatalities in domestic violence and sexual assault cases.