- At least 5 kids got wrong immunizations at New Jersey clinic Updated: Jul-07-15 11:42 am
SALEM, New Jersey - At least five children were given the wrong immunizations at a health clinic for the uninsured, including a 2-year-old boy who got an "excessive dose" of a cervical cancer prevention vaccine, authorities said.
- USDA cites West Virginia zoo for handling of tiger cubs Updated: Jul-06-15 4:07 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A West Virginia zoo used tiger cubs in photoshoots without properly feeding or vaccinating them, according to federal inspectors.
- Immigrant children given adult dose of hepatitis A vaccine Updated: Jul-04-15 5:23 pm
SAN ANTONIO - About 250 immigrant children were given an adult dose of a hepatitis A vaccine at a Texas detention facility where they were being held with their mothers, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.
- A look at the past week in the Oregon Legislature Updated: Jul-04-15 2:04 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Oregon lawmakers had a busy week, advancing dozens of bills and finalizing the budget as they prepare to adjourn the 2015 session in the coming days. Here's a look at some of the highlights from the past week:
- Washington woman's measles death is first in US since 2003 Updated: Jul-03-15 5:13 pm
SEATTLE - A woman killed by measles in Washington state had been vaccinated against the disease as a child but succumbed because she had a compromised immune system, a local health official told a TV station.
- House approves bill making schools publish vaccine rates Updated: Jul-02-15 9:32 pm
SALEM, Oregon - House lawmakers approved a measure Thursday ordering schools in Oregon to make public the number of vaccinated students they have enrolled in their classes and to carve out those rates by each disease.
- Vaccine opponents continue efforts against California law Updated: Jul-02-15 8:15 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Opponents of California's new law to boost vaccination rates among schoolchildren by strictly limiting exemptions are continuing to fight the legislation online and in public protests, even after Gov. Jerry Brown signed the bill into law this week.
- Ex-Iowa State scientist gets prison for faking HIV research Updated: Jul-01-15 5:08 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A former Iowa State University scientist who altered blood samples to make it appear he had achieved a breakthrough toward a potential vaccine against HIV was sentenced Wednesday to more than 4 ½ years in prison for making false statements in research reports.
- Study offers clue to link between swine flu shot, narcolepsy Updated: Jul-01-15 3:45 pm
WASHINGTON - One vaccine used in Europe during the 2009 swine flu pandemic was linked to rare cases of a baffling side effect - the sleep disorder narcolepsy. Now new research offers a clue to what happened.
- Meningitis vaccine needed for some Missouri college students Updated: Jul-01-15 3:33 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Students living on Missouri public college campuses now must be vaccinated against bacterial meningitis.
- Floridians can get more vaccines at pharmacy under new law Updated: Jul-01-15 12:51 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Floridians can now get several new vaccines at the pharmacy instead of going to the doctor's office under a new law that took effect Wednesday.
- What's next for California's contentious vaccine law Updated: Jun-30-15 7:27 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown on Tuesday signed a hotly contested California bill to impose one of the strictest school vaccination laws in the country in the wake of an outbreak of measles at Disneyland late last year.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jun-30-15 6:10 am
Crunch time in Greece as bailout due to expire, IMF loan due with no deal in sight
- Some Montana schools missing vaccine benchmark, data shows Updated: Jun-28-15 2:44 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Vaccination rates at one in eight elementary schools in Montana are too low to ensure immunity from outbreaks of measles or whooping cough, new state data shows.
- Boy dies of diphtheria in Spain, parents rejected vaccine Updated: Jun-27-15 6:41 am
MADRID - Officials say a six-year-old boy who had been the first child to contract diphtheria in Spain in 29 years has died from the disease in a Barcelona hospital.
- Authorities: Anti-vaccine doctor dead in apparent suicide Updated: Jun-26-15 11:32 pm
CHIMNEY ROCK, North Carolina - Authorities say anti-vaccine Dr. Jeff Bradstreet has been found dead in an apparent suicide in North Carolina.
- Chicago starting outreach to promote meningitis vaccines Updated: Jun-26-15 6:19 am
CHICAGO - Chicago health officials are making more public outreach efforts amid diagnosed cases of meningitis among men who have sex with men.
- Vermont study shows pertussis vaccine effective Updated: Jun-25-15 4:49 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Preliminary data from a Vermont study show that despite changes in strains of whooping cough, a common vaccine is still effective in preventing the highly contagious disease, the Centers for Disease Control said Thursday.
- Ohio House passes student meningitis immunization bill Updated: Jun-25-15 1:57 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio students would have to be immunized against meningitis under a bill passed by the Legislature.
- Panel gives weak endorsement of new meningitis shots Updated: Jun-24-15 3:47 pm
NEW YORK - A federal panel gave a weak endorsement Wednesday to two expensive meningitis shots, declining to recommend that all teens get the vaccine and leaving the decision to parents and doctors.
- Dad urges meningococcal vaccinations following death of son Updated: Jun-24-15 9:58 am
EUGENE, Oregon - While half of University of Oregon undergraduates skipped the recommended vaccination against the deadly type B meningococcal disease, one Oregon father drove his son to Canada to get the vaccination last fall before he began attending Oregon State University.
- Pfizer buying 2 meningitis vaccines from Glaxo for $130M Updated: Jun-22-15 12:05 pm
NEW YORK - Pfizer will buy two meningitis vaccines from GlaxoSmithKline in a deal that the U.S. drugmaker valued at about $130 million.
- Beyond the budget: A look at other Maine bills still in play Updated: Jun-20-15 12:29 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Debate over the $6.7 billion Maine budget dominated discussions at the Statehouse this week, but lawmakers were also busy slogging through dozens of bills as they try to wrap up their work for the year.
- The latest on NY Legislature: 5-day rent renewal passes Updated: Jun-18-15 11:07 pm
ALBANY, New York - 11 p.m. (EDT)
- Pro-vaccination dad Perez Hilton plans Father's Day at home Updated: Jun-18-15 12:25 pm
LOS ANGELES - Sunday will be Perez Hilton's first Father's Day with his baby girl, but he won't be going out to celebrate.