- Man charged with murder in ambush of Houston area deputy Updated: Aug-29-15 8:35 pm
HOUSTON - Texas prosecutors on Saturday charged a 30-year-old man with capital murder in the killing of a uniformed sheriff's deputy who was gunned down from behind while filling his patrol car with gas in what officials described as a "senseless and cowardly act."
- Man charged in pursuit in which KC officer fired shots Updated: Aug-29-15 6:13 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A Kansas City man has been charged with trying to ram an officer, leading to gunfire.
- Bystander dies after being shot by NYPD undercover officer Updated: Aug-29-15 5:44 pm
MOUNT VERNON, New York - An innocent bystander accidentally shot by a plainclothes officer died early Saturday, hours after being wounded when the officer opened fire on an armed suspect during an undercover gun buy that went bad, New York City police said.
- Frederick police officer sentenced to probation for DUI case Updated: Aug-29-15 3:41 pm
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - A Frederick police officer who was charged with drunken driving after an accident in Boonsboro has been sentenced to probation.
- Las Vegas police shoot, kill man who ran from traffic stop Updated: Aug-29-15 2:16 pm
NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nevada - Las Vegas police are investigating an incident in which an armed suspect was shot and killed by officers after he ran from police.
- Knox sheriff's office investigating cemetery thefts, damage Updated: Aug-29-15 1:10 pm
FARRUGUT, Tennessee - The Knox County Sheriff's Office is investigating damage and thefts at nearly a dozen graves at a 200-year-old Farragut cemetery.
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court Updated: Aug-29-15 12:58 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A former Georgia police officer has been charged in federal court for stealing government money by faking overtime.
- Wilmington police kill loose, aggressive pit bull dog Updated: Aug-29-15 12:28 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Wilmington police say two officers shot and killed an aggressive pit bull that was on the loose.
- Man hospitalized after being shot by Norman police officer Updated: Aug-29-15 12:19 pm
NORMAN, Oklahoma - Norman police say a man is hospitalized after being shot by an officer when the man pointed a hand gun at police.
- Albuquerque police detective shot by fellow officer suing Updated: Aug-29-15 12:14 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Albuquerque police officer is suing the lieutenant who shot him in a botched undercover drug bust.
- 2 San Antonio officers fatally shoot man armed with knife Updated: Aug-29-15 11:16 am
SAN ANTONIO - Two San Antonio police officers answering a burglary call have fatally shot a man who refused to drop a knife.
- Chicago police kill man they say tried to run over officers Updated: Aug-29-15 10:40 am
CHICAGO - Chicago police officers have shot and killed a man who they say tried to run them over while fleeing the scene of a shooting.
- Gunbattles between rival Taliban factions leave 5 dead Updated: Aug-29-15 7:19 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Gunbattles between rival Taliban factions left at least five dead in southern Afghanistan, a top official with the insurgent group said Saturday as its members meet in Pakistan to resolve a leadership crisis following the death of its former leader Mullah Mohammad Omar.
- UK prosecutors mull charges for News Corp. over hacking Updated: Aug-29-15 7:16 am
LONDON - British prosecutors say they are considering corporate charges against Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. over phone hacking at the now-defunct News of the World tabloid.
- Armed suspect, officer identified in police shooting Updated: Aug-29-15 2:37 am
PHILADELPHIA - Police have identified the suspect and the officer who shot him following an armed robbery.
- Former sheriff's major convicted in corruption trial Updated: Aug-28-15 8:40 pm
LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia - A former sheriff's major in Georgia has been sentenced to jail for using his position for personal financial gain.
- Couple drops off old mortar round, police station evacuated Updated: Aug-28-15 7:23 pm
SHORELINE, Washington - A couple dropped off a mortar round at a Shoreline police station on Friday afternoon. Their visit prompted an evacuation of the station.
- Missouri highway patrol trooper killed in accident Updated: Aug-28-15 6:18 pm
MEXICO, Missouri - The Missouri State Highway Patrol says one of its troopers has died in a crash in northeast Missouri.
- Haiti probes robbery as possible motive in killing of ex-cop Updated: Aug-28-15 6:01 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Authorities in Haiti say three men on a motorcycle have shot and killed a former national police director and a retired Boston police officer, and they say robbery could be a motive.
- Ex-deputy treasurer who fled to Pakistan heads to US prison Updated: Aug-28-15 5:31 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A former Ohio deputy treasurer who fled to Pakistan in the face of a 15-year prison sentence for a kickback scheme delivered a public apology before a federal judge on Friday and was sent to begin his time in U.S. prison.
- Police investigate after Kansas City officer fires into SUV Updated: Aug-28-15 5:19 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Authorities are trying to determine whether a wounded baby was shot in the foot when an officer fired into a sport utility vehicle that had rammed the officer, Kansas City police said Friday.
- Arpaio lawyer hopeful that contempt case will get settled Updated: Aug-28-15 4:44 pm
PHOENIX - A lawyer for Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has expressed hope that a contempt-of-court case over his client's acknowledged disobedience of court orders in a racial profiling lawsuit could be settled before the lawman undergoes contempt hearings next month.
- Funding appears elusive for St. Louis police body cameras Updated: Aug-28-15 4:10 pm
ST. LOUIS - Finding money to purchase body cameras that's estimated to cost up to $2 million for St. Louis' police force appears elusive as more than a dozen Board of Aldermen members oppose a proposal to use "ward capital money" to pay for the technology.
- Firearms instructor who killed trooper gets 2 weeks in jail Updated: Aug-28-15 4:10 pm
NORRISTOWN, Pennsylvania - A former Pennsylvania State Police firearms instructor was sentenced Friday to two weeks in jail in the accidental shooting death of a 26-year-old trooper during a training class.
- Board OKs 1st Ohio standards for police use of deadly force Updated: Aug-28-15 3:43 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Use of deadly force by police officers would be limited to defending themselves or others from serious injury or death under Ohio's first statewide standards adopted Friday and sent to hundreds of law enforcement agencies.