- No parole for man who killed Wash. deputy in 1978 Updated: Jun-02-15 11:14 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A Washington state board has denied parole to a man convicted of killing a Kitsap County sheriff's deputy in 1978.
- Federal judge signs Albuquerque police reform settlement Updated: Jun-02-15 7:58 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A federal judge on Tuesday approved a settlement between Albuquerque and the U.S. Department of Justice on overhauling the city's police force.
- New NC gun bill still would end sheriff pistol permit system Updated: Jun-02-15 7:51 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A reworked gun bill in the North Carolina House would eliminate the state's longstanding pistol permit application system in six years rather than three and place new limits upon sheriffs who issue or deny those permits in the interim.
- 7th US Circuit Appeals Court vacates Pruitt death sentence Updated: Jun-02-15 7:20 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A federal appeals court threw out the death sentence of a man convicted of killing a central Indiana sheriff's deputy, ruling Tuesday he is intellectually disabled and categorically ineligible for execution.
- Trooper slaying suspect not responsible for 2nd bank robbery Updated: Jun-02-15 6:28 pm
FOND DU LAC, Wisconsin - Authorities say the man suspected of gunning down a state trooper and another man after robbing a rural Wisconsin bank was not responsible for a second bank robbery that day.
- Lawmakers hear testimony on Ohio police training changes Updated: Jun-02-15 5:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio would boost the amount of training to become a police officer and require all candidates for law enforcement jobs to have a high school diploma under legislation being considered at the Statehouse.
- Police: Man fatally shot by officer was wielding metal pole Updated: Jun-02-15 4:48 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - A man fatally shot last month by a Virginia police officer had been wielding a metal pole before shots were fired, police said Tuesday.
- Man dies after struggle with police in eastern Kentucky Updated: Jun-02-15 3:38 pm
LOUISA, Kentucky - A man died after a confrontation with officers who used a stun gun on him at a police department in eastern Kentucky, state police said.
- Police: Uniformed off-duty sheriff's deputy charged with DUI Updated: Jun-02-15 3:33 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Officials say a Shelby County Sheriff's deputy has been arrested for DUI while he was on his department-issued motorcycle.
- 2 men plead guilty to foiled Ferguson bomb plot Updated: Jun-02-15 2:44 pm
ST. LOUIS - Two St. Louis men pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal charges that they planned a bomb attack targeting the Ferguson police chief and other officials following the killing there last summer of a black 18-year-old by a white police officer.
- Lawmakers reach bipartisan agreement on police body cameras Updated: Jun-02-15 1:02 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut would provide money to towns and cities to equip police officers with body cameras under bipartisan legislation that passed unanimously in the state Senate on Tuesday.
- Wellston disbands police department Updated: Jun-02-15 12:39 pm
WELLSTON, Missouri - The St. Louis County town of Wellston has disbanded its police department.
- Contempt-of-court hearings for Sheriff Joe Arpaio postponed Updated: Jun-02-15 12:04 pm
PHOENIX - Contempt-of-court hearings scheduled later this month for an Arizona sheriff have been postponed until a decision is made on the lawman's request to have a judge disqualified from the case.
- Palestine police fatally shoot theft suspect who had BB gun Updated: Jun-02-15 11:56 am
PALESTINE, Texas - Police have fatally shot an East Texas man suspected of stealing beer and pointing a BB gun at officers trying to question him.
- Rifle-wielding man shot, wounded by LA sheriff's sergeant Updated: Jun-02-15 9:45 am
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles County sheriff's officials say a sergeant on patrol shot and wounded a man who pointed a sawed-off rifle at him.
- Judge delays lawsuit over boy's fatal shooting by police Updated: Jun-02-15 8:57 am
CLEVELAND - A federal judge delayed part of a civil rights lawsuit filed by the family of a 12-year-old boy fatally shot by police, citing concern for the officers' rights against self-incrimination.
- Ascension sheriff warns of fake deputy demanding money Updated: Jun-02-15 7:26 am
GONZALES, Louisiana - The Ascension Parish sheriff is warning residents about a telephone scam in which a caller claiming to be an Ascension Parish deputy demands money to pay a fine. Sheriff Jeff Wiley said in a news release received by The Advocate (http://bit.ly/1cvhI8t) his office has received several reports related to the scam.
- Property owners on hook for $1.4M police beating settlement Updated: Jun-02-15 6:23 am
INKSTER, Michigan - Property owners in a Detroit suburb are on the hook for a $1.4 million settlement with a man seen on video being repeatedly punched in the head by a police officer during a traffic stop.
- Conference scheduled for June in probe of NY police chief Updated: Jun-02-15 3:06 am
BINGHAMTON, New York - A conference has been scheduled for mid-June in a state investigation of a sexual discrimination complaint against the City of Binghamton and police Chief Joseph Zikuski.
- Medford, Ore., man fatally injured in police shooting Updated: Jun-01-15 11:07 pm
MEDFORD, Oregon - Police in the southern Oregon city of Medford say a reportedly depressed man who exchanged gunfire with an officer has died of his injuries.
- Officials: Man shot, killed by police shoved trooper Updated: Jun-01-15 10:41 pm
OKMULGEE, Oklahoma - A man shot dead after being told to leave a flooded area had grabbed a trooper and shoved him to the ground, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said Monday.
- Washington County Sheriff's Office buys $68K in riot gear Updated: Jun-01-15 9:11 pm
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - The Washington County Sheriff's Office has bought $68,000 in riot gear, saying the recent unrest in Baltimore was too close to home to ignore.
- Defamation lawsuit filed against former police detective Updated: Jun-01-15 6:50 pm
BIDDEFORD, Maine - A defamation lawsuit targets a former Biddeford detective who said he believed a sexual abuse investigation of a police officer was "thrown under the rug."
- Officers cleared in fatal shooting of robbery suspect Updated: Jun-01-15 6:26 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - The Delaware attorney general's office says two state troopers were justified in using deadly force against an armed robbery suspect who led officers on a high-speed pursuit in 2014 in Claymont.
- Oklahoma bureau probes sheriff's office over shooting, memo Updated: Jun-01-15 5:28 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma's top investigative agency said Monday it has opened an inquiry into allegations of misconduct within the Tulsa County Sheriff's Department following the fatal shooting of a restrained man by a volunteer deputy and the release of a 2009 memo that raised concerns about the volunteer's training.