- Alaska town's first liquor store in more than 40 years opens Updated: May-03-16 6:07 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - An Alaska town's first liquor store in more than 40 years has opened, and the police chief there worries he won't have enough officers to handle an expected spike in alcohol-related calls.
- Venezuela govt says police killed most wanted gang leader Updated: May-03-16 5:52 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan officials say the country's most wanted gang leader has been killed in a shootout with police.
- Black motorist fatally shot: Ex-officer trial date disputed Updated: May-03-16 4:32 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Attorneys for a white former North Charleston police officer charged in the shooting death of a black motorist are opposing a bid to reschedule the murder trial.
- Police: Man kills girlfriend, 2 others, himself in Florida Updated: May-03-16 4:01 pm
A man fatally shot his girlfriend, her father, and his ex-wife in Florida on Tuesday before turning the gun on himself, police said.
- Police begin wider body camera use after months of testing Updated: May-03-16 3:02 pm
BOSTON - After months of testing, many of the nation's big-city police forces are planning to expand their use of body cameras by the summer, but the number of officers with such gear will still be relatively small, an Associated Press review found.
- Philadelphia ending college requirement for police recruits Updated: May-03-16 2:41 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Police Department is moving to end a requirement that recruits have at least two years of college credits under their belt - a shift the new commissioner says is needed to alleviate hiring woes.
- The Latest: Sheriff praises deputies for caution in shooting Updated: May-03-16 2:18 pm
TAYLORS, South Carolina - The Latest on a South Carolina police officer shooting a suspect (all times local):
- Judge refuses to toss lawsuit over deadly beating by police Updated: May-03-16 1:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge has refused to dismiss a decade-old lawsuit's claims against the city of New Orleans over a 48-year-old handyman's fatal beating by police.
- Man dies after standoff, shootout with police that killed K9 Updated: May-03-16 12:44 pm
MILLCREEK, Utah - Authorities say the man accused of killing a K9 dog following a standoff and shootout with police has died.
- Police chief's longtime assistant accused of theft Updated: May-03-16 12:26 pm
ENTERPRISE, Alabama - The Enterprise police chief's longtime assistant has been accused of using city funds to buy herself thousands of dollars' worth of groceries and other items.
- Judge refuses to toss lawsuit over deadly beating by police Updated: May-03-16 12:25 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge has refused to dismiss a decade-old lawsuit's claims against the city of New Orleans over a 48-year-old handyman's deadly encounter with two police officers.
- Columbia police agrees to help hard-of-hearing people Updated: May-03-16 12:20 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Columbia Police Department has agreed to take steps to help people who are hard of hearing like providing sign language interpreters.
- Estimated cost for proposed safety complex jumps to $38.5M Updated: May-03-16 10:36 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Hattiesburg officials say the estimated cost for the proposed Public Safety Complex is higher than originally expected.
- Youngsville police reach residents with phone app, website Updated: May-03-16 8:18 am
YOUNGSVILLE, Louisiana - The Youngsville Police Department is looking to increase transparency and communication between it and the community with a smartphone application and a newly designed website.
- North Carolina sheriff's deputy hurt in shooting Updated: May-03-16 7:27 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A sheriff's deputy in North Carolina has been hurt while trying to serve a warrant at a home northeast of Raleigh.
- NY redesigns domestic violence form to aid investigations Updated: May-03-16 7:23 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state has redesigned the domestic violence incident report form used by police officers in an effort to aid investigations and help victims.
- Ex-Colchester cop gets 4 years for evidence locker thefts Updated: May-03-16 6:52 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - A former police officer convicted of stealing items from the Colchester Police Department's evidence locker apologized for the crime before being sentenced in federal court.
- Former officer gets suspended sentence in Iowa teen sex case Updated: May-03-16 6:36 am
DUBUQUE, Iowa - A former Dubuque police officer who had sex with a 14-year-old he met online has been given a suspended prison sentence of 10 years.
- Police search for woman who stole Relay for Life donations Updated: May-03-16 6:24 am
OLIVER SPRINGS, Tennessee - The Oliver Springs Police Department is searching for a person who stole donations meant to help support the fight against cancer.
- Suffolk County police to nearly triple police class size Updated: May-03-16 6:21 am
YAPHANK, New York - Officials say this year's Suffolk County police class will be nearly tripled in size to help offset retirements over the next few years.
- Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community police chief quits Updated: May-03-16 5:51 am
PHOENIX - The police chief for the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community has stepped down, but still remains one of nine candidates for the Phoenix police chief position.
- Marion police to 29 get new squad car cameras Updated: May-02-16 10:50 pm
MARION, Illinois - A Southern Illinois police department is getting new cameras for its squad cars.
- Police identify girl killed in ejection from carnival ride Updated: May-02-16 10:08 pm
EL PASO, Texas - A teenage girl who was killed when she was ejected from a whirling ride at an El Paso church carnival has been identified by police.
- Mocksville police officer suing town testifies in lawsuit Updated: May-02-16 7:45 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - A former Mocksville police detective who says he and two other officers were fired for raising concerns about how the department was being run testified Monday that he felt it was "going downhill at a fast pace."
- The Latest: Mocksville police officer suing town testifies Updated: May-02-16 6:24 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - The Latest on a federal trial in which three police officers in Mocksville, North Carolina, say they were fired for telling state officials about corruption inside their department. (all times local):