- Chief insists officer fatally shot teen in self-defense Updated: Aug-01-15 4:22 pm
SENECA, South Carolina - A South Carolina police chief says he will not release the name of an officer who fatally shot a 19-year-old man in a Hardee's parking lot, insisting the officer acted in self-defense.
- Davenport police ID man killed in wood chipper accident Updated: Aug-01-15 2:11 pm
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Davenport police have identified the man killed in a wood chipper accident earlier this week.
- Police: man killed in single-car rollover in Guilford Updated: Aug-01-15 12:04 pm
GUILFORD, Connecticut - Police say a man has been killed in a rollover crash overnight in Guilford.
- NY sheriff's sergeant resigns amid sexual misconduct probe Updated: Aug-01-15 11:10 am
ALBANY, New York - An upstate New York sheriff's sergeant has resigned amid a broader investigation into sexual misconduct by law enforcement officers involving underage girls.
- St. Clair County sheriff passes on US House bid Updated: Aug-01-15 4:05 am
BELLEVILLE, Illinois - A southwestern Illinois sheriff recruited by the national Democratic Party to challenge a first-term Republican congressman has declined the offer.
- DA: Officers justified in shooting armed suspect in Denver Updated: Jul-31-15 8:20 pm
DENVER - Two police officers who shot and injured a man in downtown Denver have been cleared of wrongdoing.
- Sheriff Arpaio's contempt hearings to proceed in September Updated: Jul-31-15 8:17 pm
PHOENIX - Contempt-of-court hearings against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for acknowledged violations of a judge's orders in his racial profiling case will move forward this fall.
- Woman pleads guilty in crash that killed JeffCo deputy Updated: Jul-31-15 8:16 pm
GOLDEN, Colorado - A Denver woman who struck and killed an off-duty Jefferson County sheriff's deputy who was directing traffic at the scene of a multi-car crash has pleaded guilty.
- U. of Cincinnati shooting puts spotlight on campus police Updated: Jul-31-15 4:02 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - When an Ohio prosecutor charged a campus police officer with murder in the death of a driver during a traffic stop, he offered a harsh judgment on University of Cincinnati police, saying the school should not be in the business of law enforcement at all.
- Jury will hear that man killed by police had been arrested Updated: Jul-31-15 4:01 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A judge on Friday ruled that a jury can be told limited information about a homeless man's prior arrest in the trial of a former and current officer facing murder charges in his death.
- Suspect in northwest Arizona accused of beating police dog Updated: Jul-31-15 2:51 pm
BEAVER DAM, Arizona - Mohave County authorities say a police dog is expected to recover after being hit in the head several times with a rock by a fleeing suspect.
- Parents file lawsuit over Iowa man's stun gun death Updated: Jul-31-15 2:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The parents of a man who died after being shocked multiple times with stun guns by Worth County deputies have filed a lawsuit claiming that excessive force was used.
- Chester police move out after rift with sheriff's office Updated: Jul-31-15 2:02 pm
CHESTER, South Carolina - The Chester Police Department has packed up and moved out of the law enforcement building it had shared with the Chester County Sheriff's Office after a rift between the two agencies over office space.
- ACLU says reporters barred from Pocomoke council meeting Updated: Jul-31-15 1:59 pm
POCOMOKE CITY, Maryland - The American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland says reporters were illegally barred from a Pocomoke City council meeting during which the recent firing of the town's police chief was discussed.
- Body cameras among Frederick police chief's priorities Updated: Jul-31-15 1:45 pm
FREDERICK, Maryland - The new police chief in Frederick says his priorities include reducing violent crime and investigating gang activity.
- Man pleads not guilty to threatening trooper with knife Updated: Jul-31-15 1:35 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - A Gillette man accused of threatening a Wyoming State Trooper and other people with a knife has pleaded not guilty to the allegations.
- Huntsville police chief announces retirement Updated: Jul-31-15 1:31 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Huntsville Police Chief Lewis Morris says he's retiring on Sept. 1.
- Court tosses former police chief's misconduct conviction Updated: Jul-31-15 12:47 pm
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - An appeals court has reversed the misconduct conviction of Hackensack's former police chief Ken Zisa.
- New Jersey sheriff's officer rescues child from hot minivan Updated: Jul-31-15 9:32 am
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - A New Jersey officer smashed the window of a hot minivan to rescue a child who was sweating profusely.
- Police: Woman killed in crash follow fight at restaurant Updated: Jul-31-15 8:43 am
ST. MARTIN, Mississippi - A woman died and her son was injured after their vehicle ran off a Jackson County road during a police pursuit.
- Police: 1 killed, 1 injured in head-on car crash on highway Updated: Jul-31-15 8:10 am
RICHMOND, Vermont - Authorities say one person has died in a head-on car crash on Interstate 89 in Vermont.
- Police: Officer fatally shoots armed man in Fort Worth Updated: Jul-31-15 6:59 am
FORT WORTH, Texas - Authorities say a man has been fatally shot by a police officer in downtown Fort Worth.
- Judge says experts can testify in Charlotte officer's trial Updated: Jul-31-15 6:46 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A judge in Charlotte has ruled that experts will be allowed to testify in the trial of a white police officer accused of shooting and killing an unarmed black man nearly two years ago.
- Police: Man killed by own vehicle in campground accident Updated: Jul-31-15 6:43 am
WAVERLY, New York - State police say a 42-year-old central New York man has died in an accident at a campground in the Adirondacks.
- Hattiesburg's new chief to be sworn in Monday Updated: Jul-31-15 6:23 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - A new police chief will be sworn in Monday at Jackie Dole Sherrill Community Center in downtown Hattiesburg.