- Bates College commencement hosts civil rights leader Lewis Updated: May-29-16 8:47 am
LEWISTON, Maine - Civil Rights leader John Lewis is delivering the commencement address at Bates College.
- Fire at Ukrainian home for the elderly kills 17, injures 5 Updated: May-29-16 8:44 am
MOSCOW - A fire swept through a private home for the elderly in a Ukrainian village shortly before dawn Sunday, killing 17 people and injuring five others, an emergency official said.
- 2 upstate NY women sentenced for defrauding elderly Updated: May-28-16 8:33 am
PLATTSBURGH, New York - Two women from northern New York have been sentenced to jail for defrauding elderly people by telling the victims that their grandchildren or other relatives needed money for bail.
- Ex-nursing home worker sentenced in exploitation case Updated: May-28-16 12:16 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - A former Oklahoma City nursing home business manager accused of misappropriating money intended for three of the home's elderly residents has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
- Man admits to 2003 killing of ax murderer's 3-year-old son Updated: May-27-16 2:13 pm
READING, Pennsylvania - A man already serving time in a Pennsylvania prison has pleaded guilty to killing a convicted ax murderer's 3-year-old son in 2003.
- 2 Holyoke men plead not guilty to killing trooper's father Updated: May-27-16 7:32 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Two Holyoke men charged with killing the 71-year-old father of a Massachusetts State Police trooper earlier this year have been held without bail.
- About 500 seniors compete in Indiana State Games Updated: May-26-16 5:03 am
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - With a paddle in hand and his knees slightly bent, John Varner confidently took his stance before serving the orange Ping-Pong ball across the net to opponent Martin Bender.
- Mount Carmel assistant chief suspended amid investigation Updated: May-26-16 4:49 am
MOUNT CARMEL, Tennessee - An investigation is underway surrounding the assistant police chief of a Kingsport-area town.
- Man serving life in prison resentenced in fatal Omaha theft Updated: May-24-16 11:22 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - A judge has resentenced a man who was spending life in prison after being convicted of a fatal robbery in Omaha about 25 years ago.
- Florida doctor sentenced to 25 years in 3 pill mill deaths Updated: May-24-16 7:42 am
PINELLAS PARK, Florida - A federal judge in Tampa has sentenced a 76-year-old doctor to 25 years in prison for the deaths of three patients who were prescribed pain medications at his clinic.
- 2 arrested, 1 sought in fatal Prattville shooting, robbery Updated: May-23-16 7:56 pm
PRATTVILLE, Alabama - Authorities say two teens have been arrested in the death of a 56-year-old man who was robbed and shot over the weekend.
- Idaho Rep. Simpson says he's lost 68 pounds in 18 months Updated: May-22-16 2:25 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Rep. Mike Simpson is trimming down.
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Colorado senior living apartment fire Updated: May-22-16 1:25 pm
AURORA, Colorado - Aurora Fire and Rescue officials say a fire in a six-story senior living apartment building killed one person and injured another.
- Obama adviser to Colby College seniors: embrace citizenship Updated: May-21-16 7:37 pm
WATERVILLE, Maine - White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett has told seniors at Colby College that while technology makes the world smaller and brings people together, it also causes fear of change and the unknown, which spawns conflict and polarizing politics.
- Arkansas governor signs savings plan for long-term care Updated: May-20-16 7:58 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson has signed an agreement with the nursing home industry that's aimed at saving more than $250 million in Medicaid spending on long-term care for the elderly over the next five years.
- Woman accused of assaulting 97-year-old in wheelchair Updated: May-20-16 2:05 am
VERNON, Connecticut - A Massachusetts woman is accused of assaulting a 97-year-old woman in a wheelchair at a supermarket in Connecticut.
- 2 men indicted in Rapid City homicide after 8-month probe Updated: May-19-16 5:57 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Two Rapid City men have been charged in the death of a 56-year-old man in the city, after an eight-month investigation.
- Wage increase for Community Care workers heads to Senate Updated: May-19-16 4:20 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois House has approved a measure that would increase wages for the hundreds of thousands of workers who care for seniors.
- Study: Millennials match boomers in eligible voter share Updated: May-19-16 8:55 am
PHILADELPHIA - A new analysis of census data shows millennials are now tied with baby boomers for the largest percentage share of eligible voters.
- Los Angeles man held in sex assaults on elderly women Updated: May-17-16 9:21 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles police have arrested a man they believe sexually assaulted several women - including two in their 80s.
- Detroit City Council approves municipal ID card program Updated: May-17-16 7:15 pm
DETROIT - A municipal identification card program is being developed that is expected to improve access to city services and other resources for Detroit residents who don't have state-issued IDs or driver's licenses.
- Loneliness hurts: Senior health about more than disease Updated: May-16-16 3:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Grandma's cholesterol is OK, but maybe the doctor should be asking about her social life, too.
- Cops: Man sent photos of himself in lingerie to girls, women Updated: May-16-16 3:04 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Police say a Rhode Island man sent photos of himself wearing girls' school uniforms and lingerie to more than 40 women.
- Creative conversions give seniors new homes in New Jersey Updated: May-15-16 12:08 pm
METUCHEN, New Jersey - Walk the halls of the Senior Residence at St. Peter the Apostle and you can see remnants of the convent that once was.
- Eagle Scout project helps assisted living center residents Updated: May-15-16 11:05 am
BRUNSWICK, Georgia - Lief Weston, member of Boy Scout in Troop 207, led the construction of a nature trail at HomeLife on Glynco, an assisted living and retirement center, and in doing so completed the last requirement to earn his Eagle Scout award.