- 2 sentenced in Vancouver burglary, assault of Buddhist nun Updated: Apr-29-16 11:20 am
VANCOUVER, Washington - A Vancouver man and teenage boy have been sentenced to prison for burglarizing a home last year and assaulting a 65-year-old woman who lived there.
- Revered Chinese monk is mummified and covered in gold leaf Updated: Apr-28-16 5:47 am
BEIJING - A revered Buddhist monk in China has been mummified and covered in gold leaf, a practice reserved for holy men in some areas with strong Buddhist traditions.
- Tibetans in exile re-elect Lobsang Sangay as prime minister Updated: Apr-27-16 5:19 am
DHARMSALA, India - Lobsang Sangay has been re-elected prime minister of the Tibetan government-in-exile in voting held last month, officials announced Wednesday, with Sangay saying the election shows that Tibetans in exile "are practicing democracy, whereas China is not."
- Indians take to Buddhist chanting to alleviate urban stress Updated: Apr-26-16 4:43 am
NEW DELHI - The bank executive, the book publisher and the social worker had one thing in common: Their hectic lives in the crowded Indian capital had become so chaotic and stressful, they've turned to chanting Buddhist mantras in search of calm.
- Book Review: 'Siddhartha's Brain' smart take on meditation Updated: Apr-25-16 11:22 am
"Siddhartha's Brain: Unlocking the Ancient Science of Enlightenment" (William Morrow), by James Kingsland
- Virtually no gov't rebuilding 1 year after Nepal quake Updated: Apr-21-16 9:47 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - The violence of the 7.8-magnitude earthquake left countless towns and villages across central Nepal in shambles. Almost one year later, in shambles they remain.
- Bhutan holds elaborate naming ceremony for new crown prince Updated: Apr-16-16 8:02 am
GAUHATI, India - Bhutan's new crown prince was bestowed with a name Saturday at a solemn religious ceremony at a majestic 17th century palace that houses the relics of a famous Buddhist master.
- British royal couple trek to Bhutan's cliff-side monastery Updated: Apr-15-16 6:24 am
GAUHATI, India - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge trekked through blue pine forests to visit a famed Buddhist monastery in Bhutan on Friday during their weeklong tour of South Asia.
- Dalai Lama to visit Indiana State Fairgrounds in June Updated: Apr-13-16 6:46 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indianapolis will host the Dalai Lama this summer as Tibet's highest Buddhist priest plans a speaking event about world peace and tolerance.
- Myanmar's former president leaves office, joins monkhood Updated: Apr-05-16 3:25 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's former president Thein Sein has shed his formal attire and his hair to join the Buddhist monkhood.