- North Atlantic right whale calf found dead off Cape Cod Updated: May-06-16 9:06 am
CHATHAM, Massachusetts - Marine biologists are trying to figure out what caused the death of a North Atlantic right whale calf, one of just 14 born this winter.
- Deputies: 68 dogs rescued from 'unhealthy living conditions' Updated: May-06-16 8:38 am
HANOVER, Virginia - Authorities say 68 dogs found living in poor conditions have been rescued from a home in Hanover County.
- Moose put down after being struck by SUV in Connecticut Updated: May-06-16 8:03 am
BARKHAMSTED, Connecticut - State police say a trooper shot and killed a seriously injured moose that had been struck by an SUV in Barkhamsted.
- In California, couple's return to meat sparks vegan uproar Updated: May-06-16 3:40 am
LOS ANGELES - At the Cafe Gratitude restaurant chain in California, waiters serve plates of vegan rice bowls, vegetable pizzas and tempeh sandwiches with names such as "Gracious," ''Warm-Hearted" and "Magical."
- South Korea's latest online celebrities: Stray cats eating Updated: May-06-16 1:25 am
JANGSEONG, South Korea - The stars of the latest online trend in South Korea stay out of sight most of the day. Viewers don't seem to mind waiting for hours while nothing happens. When the stray cats finally come to eat the food left out for them, people watching online sit enraptured by their feline charms.
- Pit bull attacks 2 smaller dogs, kills 1 Updated: May-06-16 12:56 am
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - Officials say a pit bull has been quarantined after it attacked two small dogs, killing one.
- Louisiana's spring inshore shrimp season opens May 23 Updated: May-06-16 12:47 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission says the state's spring inshore shrimp season will open statewide at 6 a.m. on May 23.
- Polar bear cub set to entertain Toledo Zoo guests in Ohio Updated: May-06-16 12:14 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - A polar bear cub born at the Toledo Zoo in December is ready to meet her fans.
- NY fishing season open for walleye, pike, pickerel, muskie Updated: May-06-16 12:14 am
ALBANY, New York - The fishing season for walleye, northern pike, pickerel and tiger muskellunge opens this weekend in New York state.
- 2,000 LED-tagged pigeons stage show in NYC sky Updated: May-05-16 11:06 pm
NEW YORK - New York is staging a show with 2,000 pigeons tagged with LED lights illuminating the city's night sky.
- Woman who hanged her dogs from tree gets 6 months in prison Updated: May-05-16 8:19 pm
BRISTOL, Connecticut - A Connecticut woman who hanged her two dogs from a tree has been sentenced to six months in prison.
- 2 charged after death of dog dragged 5 miles behind truck Updated: May-05-16 8:02 pm
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - Authorities have arrested one Evansville man and issued an arrest warrant for another after the death of a dog that was dragged for more than five miles behind a pickup truck.
- Rhode Island bat tests positive for white-nose syndrome Updated: May-05-16 7:39 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A fungal disease that has decimated populations of bats across the United States has been found for the first time in Rhode Island.
- Woman accused of killing Gila monster pleads not guilty Updated: May-05-16 7:34 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - An Arizona woman accused of killing a federally protected Gila monster and bragging about it online has pleaded not guilty.
- The Latest: Colombia: Mariner's skiff never reported lost Updated: May-05-16 7:21 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the rescue of a Colombian mariner who was lost at sea for two months (all times local):
- Judge says 10 seized animals should be returned to Ohio farm Updated: May-05-16 7:05 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A judge on Thursday said five tigers and five other animals seized from a northeast Ohio farm should be returned, though the state stood by its actions and maintained that the owner hasn't met Ohio's tightened restrictions on keeping exotic animals.
- The Latest: Juneau using cruise ship fees for legal costs Updated: May-05-16 6:42 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on a lawsuit involving a Juneau whale sculpture (all times local):
- Cayman Islands to deploy genetically modified mosquitoes Updated: May-05-16 6:32 pm
MIAMI - British biotech company Oxitec and the Cayman Islands government announced plans Thursday to release millions of genetically modified mosquitoes in the fight against a species that spreads Zika and other diseases.
- Juneau using cruise ship visitor fees to cover legal costs Updated: May-05-16 5:57 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Juneau is using the money it receives from visitors who arrive to the city via cruise ship to fight a lawsuit filed by the cruise industry alleging it is misusing those funds to develop a park featuring a life-sized whale sculpture a mile away from port.
- Lioness Leia, named for Star Wars princess, debuts in Texas Updated: May-05-16 5:52 pm
WACO, Texas - A lioness named for movie character Princess Leia (LAY'-uh) has been introduced to some Star Wars costume-wearing fans at a Texas zoo.
- Wildlife group proposes deer farm crackdown to fight disease Updated: May-05-16 4:52 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A prominent sportsmen's group wants Gov. Scott Walker to crack down on captive deer farms as he considers revising the state's chronic wasting disease tactics.
- Officer rescues deer that had its head caught in light globe Updated: May-05-16 4:13 pm
CENTEREACH, New York - It was a deer caught in the ... light globe.
- Montana releases draft grizzly hunting guidelines Updated: May-05-16 2:47 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - Montana wildlife officials have released draft regulations for grizzly bear hunting in anticipation of the bears' possible removal from the endangered species list.
- Governor's adoption of Veto the dog violated shelter rules Updated: May-05-16 1:38 pm
LEWISTON, Maine - A woman who had her heart set on taking home the same stray dog that Republican Gov. Paul LePage adopted is angry that the animal shelter broke its own rules by making the canine available to him a day before it was available to the public.
- Anglers protest Puget Sound salmon fishing shutdown Updated: May-05-16 1:19 pm
LA CONNER, Washington - Washington anglers are protesting an unprecedented shutdown of the Puget Sound salmon fishing season.