- GOP in tumult after McCarthy's withdrawal from speaker race Updated: Oct-09-15 6:33 am
WASHINGTON - Jolted by political lighting for the second time in two weeks, House Republicans are staring at turmoil and uncertainty after Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's astonishing decision to abandon his campaign to become the chamber's next speaker.
- Polish FM: no coalition of main parties after Oct.25 vote Updated: Oct-09-15 6:23 am
WARSAW, Poland - A leading member of the ruling Civic Platform party says it will not enter a coalition with the major opposition force after the Oct. 25 general elections.
- GOP lawmaker introduces high-capacity well bill Updated: Oct-08-15 9:32 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Republican lawmaker introduced a bill Thursday that would overhaul Wisconsin's high-capacity well regulations.
- AP source: Rubio raises $6M over last 3 months Updated: Oct-08-15 8:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Marco Rubio has raised roughly $6 million over the last three months for his Republican presidential bid.
- Carson says armed Jews would have 'diminished' Holocaust Updated: Oct-08-15 7:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson suggests the Holocaust would have been "greatly diminished" if German Jews had been armed with guns.
- Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without state budget Updated: Oct-08-15 6:09 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois will run out of money to operate in a matter of months if lawmakers can't agree on a state budget, top Democrats warned Thursday, but they reiterated they won't bow to Gov. Bruce Rauner's demands to weaken public-worker unions for a deal.
- GOP head calls 2-term councilor 'career politician' Updated: Oct-08-15 4:19 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's Republican Party chairwoman is calling Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Colin Van Ostern a "career politician with few real life accomplishments."
- The Republicans' Mr. Congeniality drops out of speaker race Updated: Oct-08-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Mainstream lawmakers saw Kevin McCarthy as an honest broker in ragged times. Those farther on the right worried that, as House speaker, he might obstruct their obstructionism.
- Montana Republican Party executive director resigns Updated: Oct-08-15 3:13 pm
HELENA, Montana - The executive director of the Montana Republican Party has resigned after less than a year in the position.
- No meetings between Wolf, GOP day after tax proposal defeat Updated: Oct-08-15 2:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Republican leaders and Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf aren't rushing to restart meetings, one day after the governor's tax plan was soundly defeated in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
- The Latest: Boehner to stay until House votes to replace him Updated: Oct-08-15 2:10 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on the chaos among House Republicans after Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy withdrew his candidacy for speaker (all times local):
- Planned Parenthood responds to Oregon Republicans Updated: Oct-08-15 2:04 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Planned Parenthood of the Columbia Willamette is reimbursed for expenses, but does not profit from the collection of tissue after abortions, according to its president and CEO.
- Super PAC backing Democrats spends $1M in 3 Assembly races Updated: Oct-08-15 2:02 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A super political action committee focused on electing Democratic lawmakers has spent more than $1 million in three contested New Jersey Assembly districts ahead of Election Day.
- Paul Ryan reiterates he's not interested in being speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 1:20 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan does not want to be speaker of the House.
- Rubio's presidential bid boosted by secret-money commercials Updated: Oct-08-15 12:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Voters are beginning to learn about Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: GOP delegate gets vote for Speaker race Updated: Oct-08-15 11:45 am
WASHINGTON - It's a long, long way from Pago Pago to the halls of Congress, and Aumua Amata Coleman Radewagen, a Republican delegate from American Samoa is rarely sighted in the halls of the Capitol. She doesn't have a vote on the floor on behalf of her 55,000 constituents halfway around the globe.
- House election: Republicans challenge McCarthy for speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 10:12 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is the front-runner in the race to become the next speaker, but he faces two Republican opponents who are trying to draw some of his support.
- Miss. governor up with TV ads, but no air time yet for Dem Updated: Oct-08-15 5:40 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant's campaign is running its first TV commercials this election season, but a new analysis shows his Democratic challenger, truck driver Robert Gray, hasn't bought any air time.
- TV ad spending in Louisiana election at $9.4M and rising Updated: Oct-08-15 5:28 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Spending on TV advertising for Louisiana's Oct. 24 election has reached nearly $9.4 million, with the governor's race accounting for most of the money. But spending by candidates for attorney general and lieutenant governor are on the rise as the election nears.
- CU chancellor defends hosting GOP presidential debate Updated: Oct-08-15 5:02 am
BOULDER, Colorado - University of Colorado's chancellor is defending his decision to host the Republican presidential debate after students demanded the school pull its involvement if organizers refused to increase the number of tickets for students.
- Chicago Democrats to meet to fill seat of late Rep. Golar Updated: Oct-08-15 4:05 am
CHICAGO - Democrats have started the process of choosing a replacement for the late state Rep. Esther Golar of Chicago.
- Senate Democrats preparing legislative package to curb guns Updated: Oct-07-15 11:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats are preparing a legislative push to curb guns, a week after a mass shooting at an Oregon community college refocused attention on the nation's toll of firearms deaths.
- Suu Kyi says she will lead gov't if party wins Myanmar polls Updated: Oct-07-15 11:48 pm
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi says if her party wins the upcoming general elections she will lead the country from behind the scenes - circumventing a clause in the constitution that bars her from the presidency.
- Correction: Missouri Governor-Brunner story Updated: Oct-07-15 10:45 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - In a story Oct. 5 about John Brunner's entry into the 2016 race for Missouri governor, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Brunner so far had donated at least $87,600 to an exploratory committee. He had donated about $62,600, according to the latest campaign finance records available.
- House Roll Call: a special panel on Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-07-15 6:39 pm
The 242-184 roll call Wednesday by which the House created a special panel to investigate Planned Parenthood and its procurement of fetal tissue.