- GOP leader defends House Planned Parenthood investigation Updated: Nov-30-15 7:27 pm
WASHINGTON - A Republican congressional leader on Monday defended a House investigation of Planned Parenthood's provision of fetal tissue to researchers, offering no suggestion that last week's shooting deaths at one of the group's clinics will cause the GOP to retreat from that probe.
- Apodaca not seeking re-election to state Senate seat in 2016 Updated: Nov-30-15 7:14 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Sen. Tom Apodaca, one of the most powerful figures in the North Carolina General Assembly over the past five years, added his name Monday to the list of veteran Republican lawmakers not seeking re-election next year.
- Black pastors press Trump on tone during closed-door meeting Updated: Nov-30-15 7:02 pm
NEW YORK - Dozens of black pastors pressed Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump on Monday to address what some called his use of racially charged rhetoric, with several describing a meeting that became tense at times as attendees raised concerns about his blunt language.
- GOP-majority panel to hear challenge over Miss. House seat Updated: Nov-30-15 6:36 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Mississippi House committee meets Tuesday to start discussing a contested race that went to a drawing of straws for a tiebreaker.
- GOP lawmakers propose bill shrinking natural resource areas Updated: Nov-30-15 6:31 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican lawmakers began circulating a bill Monday that would ease the regulatory path for development on bodies of water, saying the changes would streamline state regulations and boost the economy.
- 14 Republicans to be on SC's presidential primary ballot Updated: Nov-30-15 4:18 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Republican Party says it has certified 14 candidates to be on the ballot for the party's presidential primary on Feb. 20.
- Rubio: Radical jihadists using refugee crisis as cover Updated: Nov-30-15 3:44 pm
LACONIA, New Hampshire - Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida says radical jihadists are using the refugee crisis as a cover to send terrorists to the West and that it's impossible for the United States to vet some Syrian migrants.
- Paul files for president, re-election in Kentucky Updated: Nov-30-15 12:59 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - U.S. Sen. Rand Paul officially filed for re-election and for president in his home state Monday, a move he insists does not undermine his faltering presidential campaign.
- Advocacy groups in Montana, Idaho sue over forest plan Updated: Nov-29-15 1:20 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - Snowmobile clubs and advocacy groups from Montana and Idaho are suing over a U.S. Forest Service plan that bars motorized access in certain areas of the Kootenai National Forest in northwestern Montana.
- Republicans introduce bill to shift federal road funds Updated: Nov-29-15 1:13 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican legislators have created a bill that would shift federal road-building dollars from local work to state projects, a move that would exempt local projects from federal prevailing wage requirements.
- Massachusetts' newest members of Congress strong fundraisers Updated: Nov-29-15 12:56 pm
BOSTON - The three newest members of Massachusetts' all-Democratic congressional delegation are turning out to be three of its most prolific fundraisers.
- Poll: 3 parties evenly-matched ahead of Spanish election Updated: Nov-29-15 12:30 pm
MADRID - A poll shows three parties are evenly matched three weeks ahead of the general election that will determine who governs Spain for the next four years.
- Clinton, Sanders, O'Malley head to New Hampshire Updated: Nov-29-15 8:30 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - All three Democratic presidential candidates are seeking to woo more than 1,000 New Hampshire Democrats at the state party's annual dinner.
- Carson after tour: Syrian refugees don't want to come to US Updated: Nov-29-15 2:08 am
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - After touring Syrian refugee camps in Jordan, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Saturday suggested that camps should serve as a long-term solution for millions, while other refugees could be absorbed by Middle Eastern countries.
- Hostility remains between Republicans, teachers' group Updated: Nov-28-15 10:57 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina Association of Educators was among the state's most influential policy and political advocacy groups when Democrats pulled the levers of power in state government.
- Carson visiting Syrian refugees in Jordan Updated: Nov-28-15 12:18 am
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is in the Middle East this weekend to meet with Syrian refugees.
- Presidential contenders differ sharply on climate, Updated: Nov-27-15 2:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders calls climate change the greatest threat to national security. Front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton promises to install more than 500 million solar panels across the country.
- Some key GOP activists in Ohio still wrestling with pick Updated: Nov-27-15 12:38 pm
CINCINNATI - The shopping days before the presidential nominating season begins are dwindling, leaving Republican activists in a GOP stronghold region of Ohio still checking the field's long list to choose the right candidate for them.
- Education advocacy group pushes for voucher program Updated: Nov-27-15 10:45 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A leading advocacy group for the creation of a school voucher program in Tennessee says it will renew efforts to pass a proposal in the next legislative session, despite failures in the past three.
- New Mexico Dem leader unsure on GOP driver's license fix Updated: Nov-26-15 1:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The ranking New Mexico House Democrat says he's not ready to support a GOP-sponsored proposal creating a "two-tier" driver's license system modeled after Utah.
- GOP candidate for governor softens refugee stance Updated: Nov-26-15 10:18 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - One of the Vermont Republicans seeking his party's nomination to run for governor next year says he's become more comfortable with the vetting of Syrian refugees after learning more about how refugees are screened before they are brought to the United States.
- Ohio hospitals already preparing for GOP National Convention Updated: Nov-26-15 9:47 am
CLEVELAND - Hospitals around Cleveland are beginning to prepare for next year's Republican National Convention and an influx of up to 50,000 visitors.
- Poland's ruling party blasted in conflict over top judges Updated: Nov-26-15 6:17 am
WARSAW, Poland - The political conflict surrounding Poland's top court has intensified after the new ruling party had the parliament void a recent appointment of judges.
- Mexican Green Party leader resigns post amid investigation Updated: Nov-26-15 12:49 am
MEXICO CITY - Mexican prosecutors said Wednesday that they have opened a criminal investigation of a leader of Mexico's Green Party for allegedly violating electoral laws in June's midterm elections.
- Clarification: Congress-Health Repeal story Updated: Nov-25-15 3:58 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story Nov. 24, The Associated Press listed Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., as one of several Republican senators who might find it difficult to vote for a bill eliminating federal money for Planned Parenthood.