- Western Iowa city of Walnut will take possession of school Updated: May-24-16 9:02 am
WALNUT, Iowa - The western Iowa city of Walnut will take possession of a historic school building that will become vacant because the school district is dissolving.
- Cleveland State mulls smaller arena to build more housing Updated: May-24-16 12:45 am
CLEVELAND - Cleveland State University is considering whether to replace the school's 13,000-seat arena with a smaller facility to allow for construction of additional on-campus housing.
- Patrol's 'Trooper on a Bus' campaign coming to Devils Lake Updated: May-23-16 7:29 pm
DEVILS LAKE, North Dakota - North Dakota Highway Patrol troopers will be on the lookout for traffic violations around school buses in the Devils Lake area.
- Sanford Burnham takes withdrawal proposal to governor Updated: May-23-16 4:48 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - Leaders of a research organization that has been key to the growth of a medical research community in central Florida say the firm is now in talks with the governor's office about having the University of Florida take over its Orlando facility.
- In 'big cement momma,' inmates find path to sobriety Updated: May-23-16 1:06 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - She calls her spot in the Lehigh County Jail the "big cement momma."
- Moville street improvements encourage kids to walk to school Updated: May-22-16 11:14 am
MOVILLE, Iowa - Heath DeStigter watched the school bus drive six blocks from Woodbury Central School to drop off students at their homes.
- Nebraska school cook hangs up hairnet after 34 years Updated: May-21-16 10:44 am
BANCROFT, Nebraska - Preparing meals for dozens of children every day, knowing that some of them won't like the food, is part of the job of being a school cook.
- Superintendent: No need to obey transgender student policy Updated: May-20-16 6:14 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia's top education official said Friday that state school districts don't have to comply with the Obama administration's recent guidance that transgender students at public schools be allowed to use bathrooms and locker rooms consistent with their gender identity.
- Oklahoma committee passes transgender bathroom bill Updated: May-20-16 5:51 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma school districts could be required to provide restrooms that exclude some transgender students under a bill advancing through the Legislature.
- Fayette County sues state Board of Education over schools Updated: May-20-16 8:43 am
FAYETTEVILLE, West Virginia - Fayette County Commission officials have filed a lawsuit against the state Board of Education and the state School Building Authority, accusing them of failing to fund a consolidation plan for the school's facilities.
- Boeing's 777X Wing Center opening Updated: May-20-16 12:03 am
EVERETT, Washington - Boeing is opening its new 777X Composite Wing Center in Everett, Washington.
- Iron Range juvenile facility to close amid allegations Updated: May-19-16 6:47 pm
BUHL, Minnesota - A juvenile treatment facility on the Iron Range is preparing to close.
- U. of Michigan regents OK health center schematic design Updated: May-19-16 6:37 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Regents at the University of Michigan have approved the schematic design for a planned 297,000-square-foot health center in Brighton.
- Morgan City business says layoffs on horizon Updated: May-19-16 5:41 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - About 80 workers face layoffs in July at the Danos and Curole Marine Contractors' fabrication division facility in Morgan City.
- Wichita school board approves $18M in cuts, including jobs Updated: May-19-16 5:22 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - The Wichita school board has voted to eliminate more than 100 district positions, close a high school and stop bus transportation for thousands of students.
- Lone 'no' vote kills St. Francis County jail proposal Updated: May-19-16 5:04 pm
FORREST CITY, Arkansas - St. Francis County Quorum Court has voted against a motion that called for a special election to approve a one-cent tax to cover the cost of a new jail facility.
- District apologizes after student is left asleep on bus Updated: May-19-16 2:14 pm
SPRINGBORO, Ohio - An Ohio school district apologized and promised swift action after an elementary school student was left asleep on a bus.
- Portland schools: Safe lead levels in our drinking water Updated: May-19-16 11:55 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Portland school officials say recent testing of the drinking water at public schools in the district show that lead levels are safe.
- Haslam questions need for special session on bathroom rules Updated: May-18-16 5:14 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam on Wednesday questioned the need for a special legislative session that some fellow Republican lawmakers want to convene over a directive issued by President Barack Obama's administration about transgender bathroom policies in public schools.
- California aims to reflect diversity in classroom studies Updated: May-18-16 1:16 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - How do you teach the history of the world in California schools, where nearly two-thirds of students are Latino or Asian, many from newly immigrated families?
- Utah lawmakers to study transgender bathroom directive Updated: May-17-16 7:42 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah lawmakers on Tuesday voted to hold a hearing sometime this summer looking at how schools and transgender students will be affected by the Obama administration's recent directive that transgender students be allowed to use facilities that match their gender identity.
- Hartford school bus drivers strike; 9,000 students affected Updated: May-17-16 10:03 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - School bus drivers in Hartford have gone on a one-day strike in a contract dispute, leaving nearly 9,000 students without rides to school.
- Syracuse University replacing Carrier Dome's inflatable roof Updated: May-17-16 8:06 am
SYRACUSE, New York - Syracuse University will replace the Carrier Dome's inflatable roof with a permanent structure as part of a plan to renovate the 36-year-old stadium and another campus athletic facility.
- Official: School bus driver fired for texting while driving Updated: May-17-16 6:52 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Des Moines school district has fired a school bus driver who'd been recorded texting and driving while on her route.
- The Latest: Police: 11 LGBT law protesters arrested Updated: May-16-16 6:21 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on developments surrounding North Carolina's LGBT law (all times local):