- North Carolina elections take shape with fundraising numbers Updated: Feb-04-16 6:24 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's March 15 primary and the November general election are taking shape as candidates and party committees disclosed financial reports over the past week as state and federal filing deadlines came and went.
- Washington House once again passes Voting Rights Act Updated: Feb-04-16 2:49 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - For the fourth time in as many years, the state House has passed a measure seeking to reform representation of minorities in local elections.
- Supreme Court rejects Spokane bill of rights effort Updated: Feb-04-16 12:32 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - The state Supreme Court has rejected an effort to put a "community bill of rights" on the ballot in the city of Spokane.
- Former DC mayor Gray begins comeback after investigation Updated: Feb-04-16 12:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Former District of Columbia Mayor Vincent Gray has begun his political comeback after a lengthy federal investigation ended with no charges against him.
- Civil rights advocate Mckesson runs for Baltimore mayor Updated: Feb-03-16 11:36 pm
BALTIMORE - Civil rights advocate DeRay Mckesson has joined the field seeking the Democratic nomination for mayor of Baltimore.
- Shapiro, Zappala throw elbows in attorney general's race Updated: Feb-03-16 3:56 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The race for Pennsylvania attorney general is becoming very heated between two leading Democrats seeking to replace Attorney General Kathleen Kane, set off by former Gov. Ed Rendell's endorsement in the race Wednesday.
- Residents around Brant Lake to decide on forming new city Updated: Feb-03-16 11:24 am
MADISON, South Dakota - Some people who live around Lake County's Brant Lake want to incorporate into what they say could be the first new city in eastern South Dakota in half a century.
- Court upholds dismissal of businessman's suit against Arpaio Updated: Feb-03-16 8:30 am
PHOENIX - A court ruling says a Mesa businessman waited too long to file a lawsuit accusing Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio of conducting an investigation to punish the man for backing an election opponent of the sheriff.
- Fire destroys Franklin County deputy's nomination paperwork Updated: Feb-03-16 6:45 am
HAMPTON, Iowa - A Franklin County sheriff's deputy's election paperwork to run for sheriff has been destroyed in a truck fire.
- Libby Mayor, City Council members sue ethics commissioner Updated: Feb-03-16 1:44 am
KALISPELL, Montana - Libby Mayor Doug Roll and five current and former City Council members have filed a lawsuit against the Montana Commissioner of Political Practices.
- Candidates vie for secretary of state post after scandal Updated: Feb-02-16 9:22 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The fall election for New Mexico secretary of state will pit Democratic Bernalillo County Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver against Republican state Rep. Nora Espinoza of Roswell in the wake of a scandal that landed the state election agency's former chief in jail.
- Judge rejects legal action in Nebraska death-penalty vote Updated: Feb-02-16 11:23 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A Lancaster County judge has rejected a lawsuit challenging the death-penalty question going to Nebraska voters in November, but has also prevented a pro-death penalty group from being part of another suit challenging ballot wording.
- Audit findings may expose Gray's 2010 campaign to fines Updated: Feb-02-16 11:22 am
WASHINGTON - An audit of former District of Columbia mayor Vincent Gray's 2010 election campaign has found that the campaign paid poll workers thousands in cash and kept incomplete records of more than $800,000 in contributions.
- Ouachita Parish Police Jury backs tax item for April ballot Updated: Feb-02-16 8:15 am
MONROE, Louisiana - The Ouachita Parish Police Jury has voted to approve two resolutions that will place a tax proposal in a special election April 9.
- Voter registration ends Wednesday for La.'s March 5 primary Updated: Feb-02-16 4:06 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Want to vote in Louisiana's March 5 presidential primary? You have until Wednesday to register to vote.
- Beaver Dam to decide whether to allow alcohol sales citywide Updated: Feb-02-16 2:12 am
BEAVER DAM, Kentucky - Beaver Dam citizens will soon decide whether to allow alcohol sales in the city.
- Nashville mayor revokes Election Commission's credit card Updated: Feb-01-16 7:01 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Nashville Mayor Megan Barry has revoked the credit card privileges of the Davidson County Election Commission and ordered an audit of all charges paid with tax dollars. The move on Monday comes after Election Commission Chairman Ron Buchanan announced he would be leaving. The Tennessean (http://goo.gl/t5HWX4 ) reports that Buchanan announced his resignation before WSMV-TV was to air an investigative report on credit card purchases. The station's report questions expenses of election administrator Kent Wall. While being interviewed, Buchanan is said to have gotten combative with TV reporter Alana Autler and called her a derogatory name.
- Fitzgerald wants to bar county executives from Legislature Updated: Feb-01-16 6:32 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald introduced a bill Monday that would bar county executives from serving simultaneously in the Legislature, a move that could force a Democrat to decide between his lucrative executive position or a Senate seat.
- Winnebago County chairman drops re-election bid amid probe Updated: Feb-01-16 1:50 pm
ROCKFORD, Illinois - The chairman of a county board in northern Illinois said he's not running for re-election at the same time as federal authorities are investigating county spending irregularities.
- Harrison County mass transit levy to be on May ballot Updated: Jan-28-16 7:45 am
CLARKSBURG, West Virginia - Harrison County voters are due to decide whether to extend a levy for five more years that has helped provide much of the budget for the Central West Virginia Transit Authority over the past three decades.
- Special election announced to recall North Slope mayor Updated: Jan-28-16 5:09 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - North Slope officials have called for a special election to recall Mayor Charlotte Brower after residents successfully gathered enough signatures on a petition.
- AP Exclusive: Putin aide: Kiev refuses to honor Minsk deal Updated: Jan-27-16 12:03 pm
MOSCOW - Kiev has failed to meet its obligations under the Minsk peace accord and has instead introduced an economic blockade of eastern Ukraine, Russia's security chief says.
- Local officials sue to block law prohibiting ballot info Updated: Jan-26-16 5:37 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Local officials filed a lawsuit Tuesday against a new Michigan law they say unconstitutionally restricts their free-speech rights, urging a judge to immediately block it so they can distribute ballot measure information to voters ahead of the March elections.
- Big step in Pennsylvania's 2016 primary election begins Updated: Jan-26-16 8:15 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A big step in Pennsylvania's 2016 election is beginning as hundreds of candidates for federal and state offices can start gathering signatures to qualify for the April 26 primary ballot.
- Kansas secretary of state pursuing 3 new criminal cases Updated: Jan-25-16 7:09 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Secretary of State Kris Kobach is pursuing three new criminal cases charging people with voting illegally in Kansas and another state in the same elections, including a man who said Monday that local prosecutors assured him they wouldn't file a case against him.