- Strickland win 42 percent of vote in Memphis mayoral win Updated: Oct-09-15 6:07 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Election results show Jim Strickland defeated incumbent A C Wharton Jr. by winning 42 percent of the vote to become Memphis' first white mayor since 1991.
- Salt Lake City mayoral candidates square off in debate Updated: Oct-08-15 6:47 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and challenger Jackie Biskupski squared off in a debate Thursday that covered issues ranging from the renovation of the airport to police dealings with the homeless.
- Activist, ex-mayoral candidate gets prison for 911 calls Updated: Oct-08-15 4:18 pm
PITTSBURGH - A former mayoral candidate and community activist convicted of making dozens of bogus 911 calls from his home was sentenced Thursday to 3½ to seven years in prison.
- Kingman voters will weigh in on property taxes next May Updated: Oct-08-15 1:36 pm
KINGMAN, Arizona - Voters in a western Arizona town will be deciding next year whether to make a significant change to local property taxes.
- Bethel residents support liquor store, advisory vote finds Updated: Oct-08-15 7:49 am
BETHEL, Alaska - Unofficial election results from a non-binding advisory vote in Bethel show that most residents would support a liquor store in the city.
- New Charlotte mayor soon after Clodfelter runoff loss Updated: Oct-07-15 9:37 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Charlotte will have a new mayor later this year after incumbent Dan Clodfelter lost in a Democratic primary runoff to the former head of the Mecklenburg County commissioners.
- Albuquerque voters approve proposal for police chief hires Updated: Oct-07-15 2:10 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Albuquerque voters have strongly supported having future mayoral picks for police and fire chief positions submitted to the City Council for approval.
- Ballot could confuse voters on school funding proposals Updated: Oct-06-15 6:06 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - People pushing a school funding proposal said Tuesday that Mississippi's largest county has taken an already confusing ballot format and made it worse.
- Ukraine rebels to delay local election, sidestep tense topic Updated: Oct-06-15 3:45 pm
MOSCOW - Officials in rebel-controlled eastern Ukraine announced Tuesday they will postpone local elections that were going to be held shortly, sidestepping a contentious issue that had blocked progress toward a resolution for the war in Ukraine.
- Hinds County, Jackson work on same voting precincts Updated: Oct-06-15 10:45 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson and Hinds County have pledged to work together in an attempt to ensure city and county voting precincts are the same.
- Culling voter records to take weeks in some Kansas counties Updated: Oct-05-15 7:56 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Some Kansas counties expect to take at least several weeks to cancel incomplete voter registrations from residents who haven't documented their U.S. citizenship, local election officials said Monday.
- N. Idaho lawmaker navigates Kootenai County politics Updated: Oct-05-15 11:51 am
BOISE, Idaho - Luke Malek is a young lawyer, a North Idaho resident since the second grade with deep ties in the community, and the son of two local physicians. A Republican, he worked for former Sen. Larry Craig and Sen. Mike Crapo, and was recruited by former Gov. Jim Risch to be the state's first governor's representative to North Idaho. He comes from a religious family; his brothers are Matthew, Marc and John.
- Emirates holds closely controlled vote for federal council Updated: Oct-03-15 12:37 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The United Arab Emirates held a tightly controlled election Saturday for its largely advisory Federal National Council, with only a portion of Emiratis eligible to cast ballots.
- Russian, Ukrainian leaders hold talks in Paris Updated: Oct-02-15 5:24 pm
PARIS - A summit reviving a European push to bring peace to eastern Ukraine ended Friday with a call for the delay of contentious rebel plans to hold local elections this month and for both sides to begin a promised withdrawal of smaller-caliber weapons.
- Environmentalist Zac Goldsmith to run for mayor of London Updated: Oct-02-15 12:34 pm
LONDON - The contest for London mayor will pit a former Labour government minister against a wealthy Conservative environmentalist.
- Voter registration deadline is Saturday in Mississippi Updated: Oct-02-15 4:05 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi has a voter registration deadline Saturday.
- Ohio court sides with elections chief on county board matter Updated: Oct-02-15 3:46 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Supreme Court has sided with the state's elections chief in a dispute over two Republicans picked to fill vacancies on a county elections board in northwest Ohio.
- After 22 years, Norfolk mayor won't seek re-election Updated: Oct-01-15 12:10 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - The mayor of Virginia's second-largest city says he won't seek re-election after holding the office for 22 years.
- Supreme Court revives suit over Greek role in election Updated: Oct-01-15 8:39 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - The Alabama Supreme Court is reviving a lawsuit over the role of sorority and fraternity members in a Tuscaloosa city election.
- Comer, Pape to vie for retiring Rep. Whitfield's seat Updated: Sep-30-15 5:22 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - A longtime aide to U.S. Rep. Ed Whitfield and the second-place finisher in Kentucky's Republican primary for governor both say they want to replace the retiring 11-term congressman in next year's election.
- Yankton County voters reject tax increase for roads, bridges Updated: Sep-30-15 10:32 am
YANKTON, South Dakota - Voters in Yankton County have resoundingly defeated a proposed property tax increase to help fund road and bridge repairs.
- Koochiching County commissioner wins House primary Updated: Sep-30-15 7:15 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A county commissioner has won a special election primary for a House seat to represent Minnesota's largest district.
- Ex-Reno mayoral candidate Pizorno pleads guilty to beating Updated: Sep-29-15 6:02 pm
RENO, Nevada - A 76-year-old former candidate for mayor in Reno potentially faces up to 5.5 years in prison after pleading guilty to hitting a man on the head with a golf club and carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.
- Bridgeport mayor ends re-election effort, backs Foster Updated: Sep-29-15 5:49 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch withdrew from the city's mayoral race on Tuesday and threw his support to Democratic one-time opponent Mary-Jane Foster in an effort to ultimately defeat former Mayor Joe Ganim in November.
- GOP Colorado state legislator Neville to run for US Senate Updated: Sep-29-15 3:38 pm
DENVER - Republican Colorado state Sen. Tim Neville has announced his run for the U.S. Senate, hoping to challenge Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet next year.