- Hassan submitting 6 names as judicial nominees Updated: Oct-07-15 5:05 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Gov. Maggie Hassan is nominating two judges to the New Hampshire Superior Court.
- Retired Criminal Appeals Court judge to teach law at Belmont Updated: Oct-07-15 4:04 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A recently retired Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals judge has been appointed to the faculty of Belmont University College of Law in Nashville.
- Bank of China ordered to release counterfeiters' records Updated: Oct-07-15 12:18 am
SHANGHAI - A New York judge has ordered the Bank of China to hand over detailed information about Chinese bank accounts used by a counterfeiting ring that allegedly sold millions of dollars of fake Gucci handbags and wallets in the U.S.
- Supreme Court to hear capital cases roiling Kansas politics Updated: Oct-06-15 8:13 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The U.S. Supreme Court is preparing to consider reinstating death sentences for two brothers convicted in the notorious slayings of four people in Kansas, capital cases that roiled the state's politics and have prompted calls to remake its judiciary.
- Ex-transportation secretary enters race for Vermont governor Updated: Oct-06-15 7:16 pm
WATERBURY, Vermont - Former Transportation Secretary Sue Minter on Tuesday launched her bid for the 2016 Democratic gubernatorial nomination, saying she believes Vermont's greatest challenges are also its greatest opportunities.
- Alaska Supreme Court Justice Fabe to retire Updated: Oct-06-15 6:45 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska Supreme Court Justice Dana Fabe plans to retire next year.
- Maine governor makes 5 judicial nominations Updated: Oct-06-15 6:21 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Governor Paul LePage has made nominations for five judicial appointments.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Oct-06-15 1:49 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oct. 1
- Nigeria Senate names 20 nominees for president's new Cabinet Updated: Oct-06-15 12:33 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Nigeria's Senate announced 20 nominees for the Cabinet of President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, representing all regions of this West African nation but only three women in a team expected to fight endemic corruption.
- Richland lawyer appointed as new judge Benton-Franklin bench Updated: Oct-06-15 6:12 am
TRI-CITIES, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee has appointed a Richland lawyer to a newly created position on the Benton-Franklin Superior Court.
- Obama withdraws nomination of ex-MBTA head to transit board Updated: Oct-06-15 1:56 am
BOSTON - President Barack Obama has withdrawn the nomination of Boston's former public transit head to the National Transportation Safety Board.
- 2 judges, lawyer apply for Wisconsin Supreme Court vacancy Updated: Oct-05-15 8:36 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Two judges who have been previously appointed by Gov. Scott Walker and a longtime Madison attorney have all applied for a vacancy on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
- Idaho governor appoints new 4th District judge Updated: Oct-05-15 6:34 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter has appointed Magistrate Michael Reardon to the judge's bench in 4th District Court.
- Familiar, divisive social issues on Supreme Court agenda Updated: Oct-05-15 2:04 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court's new term began Monday with no cross words between the justices, although a steady stream of divisive social issues awaits them in the coming months.
- Most state employees did not get their Oct. 1 pay raises Updated: Oct-05-15 10:30 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - More than 35,000 of Louisiana's rank-and-file classified employees received their favorable evaluations, but they're not getting their pay raises.
- Obama nominates veteran lawyer as VA watchdog Updated: Oct-02-15 7:24 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama has nominated Michael J. Missal, a lawyer with extensive experience in the federal government and private sector, to serve as the next inspector general for the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Education Secretary Arne Duncan steps down after 7-year term Updated: Oct-02-15 6:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Arne Duncan, who followed President Barack Obama to Washington to serve as his education secretary, announced Friday he will step down following a seven-year tenure marked by a willingness to plunge head-on into the heated debate about the government's role in education.
- Judge finalizes actor Gary Oldman's divorce from 4th wife Updated: Oct-01-15 6:24 pm
LOS ANGELES - A judge has finalized Oscar-nominated actor Gary Oldman's divorce from his fourth wife after six years of marriage.
- Nominees announced to fill vacancy in Utah Supreme Court Updated: Oct-01-15 5:41 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Seven nominees have been announced to fill the Utah Supreme Court vacancy left by Justice Jill Parrish, who was confirmed as a federal judge last month.
- Sandusky wants subpoena power to look into 2011 case leaks Updated: Sep-30-15 6:14 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky wants a judge to let him explore contacts between prosecutors and a judge who oversaw the grand jury that recommended he be charged with child molestation.
- Snyder names U of M professor to Michigan Supreme Court Updated: Sep-30-15 4:48 pm
LANSING, Michigan - A University of Michigan law professor with conservative credentials was appointed Wednesday to the Michigan Supreme Court, filling an opening caused by the early departure of Justice Mary Beth Kelly.
- Nigerian president also plans to be oil minister Updated: Sep-30-15 3:55 pm
ABUJA, Nigeria - Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, who has promised to fight corruption embedded in the oil industry, plans to be the Cabinet minister in charge of the oil sector, a spokesman said Wednesday.
- Beshear plans to appoint another minority to UofL board Updated: Sep-29-15 5:56 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear's administration violated state law with his appointments that left racial minorities underrepresented on the University of Louisville's governing board, according to an opinion from Attorney General Jack Conway's office Tuesday.
- Walker sends signals he may appoint Bradley to Supreme Court Updated: Sep-29-15 5:29 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker is sending signals that he may appoint state Appeals Court Judge Rebecca Bradley to a vacancy on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
- Ducey appoints 6 new Maricopa County Superior Court judges Updated: Sep-29-15 3:01 pm
PHOENIX - Gov. Doug Ducey has appointed six new Maricopa County Superior Court judges, selecting two Republicans, two Democrats and two independents.