- Brownback nominee for Kansas commerce secretary withdraws Updated: Sep-01-15 7:31 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Gov. Sam Brownback's nominee for Kansas commerce secretary withdrew from consideration Tuesday over what the governor's office described as potential conflicts of interest involving a family member.
- Elections head: Staff has opinions but don't make decisions Updated: Sep-01-15 2:38 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state elections board's employees have personal political views but they don't make any decisions, the board's director said Tuesday as he tries to stave off Republican lawmakers' plans to restructure the agency.
- Court considers challenge to California death penalty Updated: Aug-31-15 7:53 pm
PASADENA, California - A federal appeals court considering whether California's death penalty is unconstitutional because of excessive delays focused Monday on procedural issues over whether a novel legal theory had been addressed by the state Supreme Court.
- Ohio governor appoints replacement for convicted judge Updated: Aug-31-15 10:56 am
ELYRIA, Ohio - The governor has appointed a replacement for a northeast Ohio judge who was convicted on charges of tampering with records and falsification.
- The Latest: Sanders says party needs huge voter turnout Updated: Aug-28-15 4:39 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Here are the latest developments Friday from the Democratic National Committee meeting in Minneapolis, where four Democratic presidential candidates are addressing the party.
- Judge denies bond reduction for Oakdale woman Updated: Aug-28-15 10:52 am
OBERLIN, Louisiana - A judge has refused to reduce the bond for an Oakdale woman accused of killing, burning and burying a pregnant woman and her unborn baby in 2011.
- Arizona commission nominates 5 for Court of Appeals vacancy Updated: Aug-27-15 4:28 am
PHOENIX - A state commission has nominated two Pima County Superior Court judges and three other lawyers for an opening on the Arizona Court of Appeals' Tucson-based division.
- Roth names administrative law judge with labor department Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A magistrate judge has been named to the position of Kansas Department of Labor administrative law judge.
- Colorado Republicans cancel presidential poll at caucuses Updated: Aug-25-15 6:23 pm
DENVER - Republicans in Colorado have decided to diminish the swing state's early role in their party's presidential nominating contest.
- Hutchinson names law professor as new chief justice Updated: Aug-25-15 2:02 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A law professor who specializes in judicial ethics and has taught two members of the Arkansas Supreme Court will serve as chief justice through the end of next year, Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced Tuesday.
- Indiana governor names new state environmental commissioner Updated: Aug-25-15 11:01 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence has appointed the Indiana Department of Environmental Management's current chief of staff the agency's new commissioner.
- Appeals court reinstates wage rules for home care workers Updated: Aug-21-15 3:33 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court on Friday revived Obama administration regulations that guarantee overtime and minimum wage protection to nearly 2 million home health care workers.
- Malloy's chief of staff to temporarily oversee Regents board Updated: Aug-21-15 2:31 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's outgoing chief of staff was appointed Friday to head Connecticut's Board of Regents for Higher Education, promising he'll listen to the concerns of college presidents, faculty, students and legislators around the state.
- Wolf to appeal ballot-access victory for minor parties Updated: Aug-21-15 1:31 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Wolf administration says it will appeal a federal judge's decision to strike down provisions in Pennsylvania law that minor political parties say creates an unconstitutional barrier to their candidates seeking to get onto the ballot.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Aug-21-15 12:37 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Aug. 20
- Haslam: No discussion with AG about Supreme Court vacancy Updated: Aug-21-15 11:52 am
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee - As observers wait to see whether Attorney General Herbert Slatery has any interest in filling an upcoming vacancy on the Tennessee Supreme Court, Gov. Bill Haslam said he hasn't had any discussion about it with his close friend and former top legal adviser.
- Objections to Rooney's will dropped; administrator approved Updated: Aug-20-15 6:14 pm
LOS ANGELES - A judge accepted Mickey Rooney's will Thursday and approved an attorney to administrator the estate after several of the actor's children dropped their objections.
- Clemency denied for Claremore man convicted of killing baby Updated: Aug-20-15 6:00 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A state board voted Thursday not to endorse a clemency request from an Oklahoma man sentenced to die for killing his 9-month-old daughter in 2002, despite his attorneys' argument that he is too mentally ill to be put to death.
- Ex-Gov. Blagojevich to ask Supreme Court to hear case Updated: Aug-19-15 8:01 pm
CHICAGO - A full appellate court indicated Wednesday that it will not rehear an appeal of Rod Blagojevich's corruption convictions, and his lawyer responded that the imprisoned former Illinois governor will appeal next to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Gov. appoints Bismarck attorney to district judgeship Updated: Aug-19-15 12:17 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple has appointed Bismarck attorney and judicial referee John Grinsteiner to a newly created judgeship in the South Central Judicial District Court.
- McFarland, former Kansas Supreme Court chief justice, dies Updated: Aug-18-15 6:45 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kay McFarland, the first female chief justice of the Kansas Supreme Court, has died. She was 80.
- Clinton endorsed by 2 ex-South Carolina governors Updated: Aug-18-15 5:40 pm
ATLANTA - Hillary Rodham Clinton is getting endorsements from two former Democratic governors in the early-voting state of South Carolina, including one who helped lead President Barack Obama's first campaign.
- Former Lake County Judge Arredondo eyeing AG nomination Updated: Aug-18-15 12:42 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A former Lake County judge has formed a campaign committee to seek the Democratic nomination for Indiana attorney general.
- Daugaard appoints new judge in Second Judicial Circuit Updated: Aug-18-15 11:25 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard is appointing Sioux Falls attorney Jon Sogn (sawng) to the bench in South Dakota's Second Judicial Circuit.
- McAuliffe plans to reappoint high court pick Updated: Aug-17-15 6:22 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A rancorous partisan battle over Gov. Terry McAuliffe's pick for the state Supreme Court quickly escalated Monday and could be headed to court.