- Town's 100th annual winter carnival opens, minus some snow Updated: Feb-05-16 8:47 pm
NEWPORT, New Hampshire - Residents of the small New Hampshire town of Newport are launching their 100th annual winter carnival with a tribute to its roots and a grudging acceptance that climate change can wreak havoc with the schedule of events.
- New England sees first serious snowfall of the season Updated: Feb-05-16 8:19 pm
BOSTON - A winter storm packing heavy, wet snow gave New England its first real taste of winter Friday, toppling trees and knocking out power to more than 180,000 customers and threatening to cover some spots a foot deep.
- The Latest: 6-year-old hit by falling tree limb dies Updated: Feb-05-16 8:10 pm
BOSTON - The Latest on a winter storm that dropped more than a foot of snow on some areas of the Northeast (all times local):
- Postponed Jazz-Wizards game rescheduled for Feb. 18 Updated: Feb-05-16 4:32 pm
- Vermont to get little to no snow in storm Updated: Feb-05-16 12:45 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - With little to no snow in Vermont, some are lamenting that the storm is hitting southern New England, not the Green Mountain state.
- Aqueduct cancels Friday racing because of weather Updated: Feb-05-16 11:52 am
NEW YORK - Aqueduct canceled the Friday racing because of winter weather conditions in the New York area.
- Snow keeps state troopers in New Jersey busy Updated: Feb-05-16 11:06 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Snow is tapering off in New Jersey after slowing the morning rush and keeping state troopers busy.
- Storm tracks farther northward, bringing snow to Maine Updated: Feb-05-16 9:27 am
A storm that was originally expected to give parts of Maine a dusting has moved closer to shore, bringing nearly a foot of snow to parts of the state and closing hundreds of schools and businesses.
- Many schools closed as snowstorm hits New Hampshire Updated: Feb-05-16 8:04 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - At least 200 schools have been closed as snow makes its way across much of New Hampshire.
- Snow falling over Pennsylvania slows morning commute Updated: Feb-05-16 6:08 am
PHILADELPHIA - Rain that has been falling over parts of Pennsylvania has turned to snow, slowing the morning commute and causing some schools to delay opening.
- Heavy wet snow creating sloppy morning commute in NYC area Updated: Feb-05-16 5:57 am
NEW YORK - New Yorkers are in for a messy commute as a heavy wet snow falls on the metropolitan area.
- Commissioner dies after heart attack during snowstorm Updated: Feb-05-16 4:36 am
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia - A Harrison commissioner has died nearly two weeks after suffering a heart attack while helping shovel snow.
- Storm expected to bring heavy snow during morning commute Updated: Feb-04-16 7:44 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A winter storm is expected to bring heavy snow to Rhode Island overnight and make for a messy morning commute.
- Storm expected to bring heavy snow during morning commute Updated: Feb-04-16 6:42 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy is advising residents to prepare for snow that could make for a messy morning commute.
- Snow expected in New Jersey for Friday a.m. commute Updated: Feb-04-16 6:36 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - It won't be as disruptive as last month's blizzard, but snow is expected to slow down Friday morning's commute in New Jersey.
- Weather service reports minor flooding along Monocacy River Updated: Feb-04-16 3:44 pm
FREDERICK, Maryland - The National Weather Service is reporting minor flooding along the Monocacy (mah-NAH'-kah-see) River near Frederick due to recent heavy rain and relatively warm temperatures after last month's blizzard.
- Grand Island digs out after 18 inches of snow pelts area Updated: Feb-04-16 3:17 pm
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - Grand Island residents and city employees are slowly digging out from a blizzard that left 18.3 inches of snow on the ground.
- MDU Resources profits down in 2015; new refinery loses money Updated: Feb-04-16 12:33 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The Bismarck-based MDU Resources Group Inc. has reported a decrease in profits for 2015 due to losses at its North Dakota refinery and warmer winter weather that cut natural gas and electricity sales.
- Last month ruled Fairbanks' driest January in 106 years Updated: Feb-04-16 8:48 am
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - With almost no snow last month, January 2016 was one of the driest Januaries in Fairbanks' weather history.
- Storms bring snow to northern Michigan, heavy rain elsewhere Updated: Feb-03-16 8:07 pm
HOUGHTON, Michigan - Storms have brought sizable snowfalls to parts of northern Michigan and heavy rain in other parts of the state.
- The Latest: Suspected tornado damages Army post in Georgia Updated: Feb-03-16 7:20 pm
The Latest on the winter storm system affecting a broad swath of the Midwest and Southern U.S. (all times local):
- Woman fatally struck by car left work early because of snow Updated: Feb-03-16 6:23 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minneapolis woman who was fatally struck by a car while crossing a busy downtown street had left work early because of a snowstorm.
- Federal disaster declaration approved for 3 more counties Updated: Feb-03-16 4:46 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin says the federal government has approved the state's request for disaster assistance to three more counties as a result of damage from a November ice storm.
- Landlord admits killing 2 tenants over fight after snowstorm Updated: Feb-03-16 4:02 pm
ALFRED, Maine - A Maine landlord has admitted killing two tenants in 2012 in a dispute over parking spots after a snowstorm.
- Correction: California Drought story Updated: Feb-03-16 3:14 pm
FRESNO, California - In a story Feb. 2 about California water conservation, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the average monthly water use declined from 76 gallons for each person in November to 67 gallons in December. The figures were for daily consumption, not monthly use.