- Police: Retired cop kills his 2 sleeping kids, then himself Updated: May-27-16 12:39 pm
WALLKILL, New York - Authorities say a retired police officer shot his two children to death as they slept in their New York home before he turned the gun on himself.
- Cave escape: Rushing water, sucking mud and pitch black Updated: May-27-16 12:23 pm
HORSE CAVE, Kentucky - Gary Russell was a mile deep in a Kentucky cave, leading a group of geology students on a five-hour tour, when he turned a corner and saw water rushing by where water wasn't supposed to be.
- Man charged in explosions near judge's house, police station Updated: May-27-16 12:18 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Federal prosecutors have charged an Indiana man with the March detonation of pipe bombs near a police station and outside a judge's home.
- Man accused of having fentanyl while serving as Brandon cop Updated: May-27-16 11:38 am
BRANDON, South Dakota - A man accused of possessing the powerful synthetic opiate fentanyl while he was a sergeant in the Brandon Police Department is apologizing and taking responsibility for a "blatant" violation of the public's trust.
- Osage County Clerk's Office says sheriff resigned Updated: May-27-16 11:08 am
LINN, Missouri - The sheriff of a central Missouri county has resigned, several months after he was accused of pointing a weapon at a person at a bar.
- 2 finalists vying to become Grand Island police chief Updated: May-27-16 10:34 am
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - Two finalists have been chosen from a field of nine candidates who applied to become Grand Island's next police chief.
- Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department: Woman fatally shot Updated: May-27-16 10:24 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Bernalillo County authorities say an Albuquerque-area woman was killed in an apparent drive-by shooting.
- Sheriff's: 2 Vancouver area church fires were arson Updated: May-27-16 10:24 am
VANCOUVER, Washington - Clark County fire investigators say two church fires this week were intentionally set but they do not know yet whether the fires were related.
- Police ID pair killed by SUV on Long Island Updated: May-27-16 8:44 am
OLD WESTBURY, New York - Police have identified two people killed by a sport utility vehicle when they got out of their disabled car on the Long Island Expressway.
- 2 Holyoke men plead not guilty to killing trooper's father Updated: May-27-16 7:32 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Two Holyoke men charged with killing the 71-year-old father of a Massachusetts State Police trooper earlier this year have been held without bail.
- Jurors begin deliberations in Arkansas deputy killing trial Updated: May-27-16 7:16 am
CLARKSVILLE, Arkansas - Jurors will resume deliberations Friday in the capital murder trial of a man charged in the death of a Johnson County deputy.
- Chicago police to boost patrols over Memorial Day weekend Updated: May-27-16 7:09 am
CHICAGO - Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson says additional officers will be on the city's streets, in its parks and along its lakefront during the Memorial Day weekend.
- Video shows Florida trooper jump onto hood, fire into car Updated: May-27-16 6:47 am
MIAMI GARDENS, Florida - A video clip from a gas station surveillance camera shows a Florida Highway Patrol trooper pull his motorcycle next to a car during a traffic stop, and then jump onto its hood before firing through the windshield.
- Marine patrol officer threatened on social media Updated: May-27-16 6:39 am
PASCAGOULA, Mississippi - Mississippi authorities are looking for a man they say used social media to threaten a state Marine Patrol officer on Facebook.
- In police cases, black activists push reforms outside court Updated: May-27-16 6:11 am
BALTIMORE - Black activists in Baltimore and beyond say they are disappointed but not discouraged after neither of the first two police officers to stand trial in the death of a man who was injured in the back of a police van was convicted.
- NYPD: 38-year-old woman fatally stabbed in the Bronx Updated: May-27-16 6:05 am
NEW YORK - The New York Police Department says it's investigating the fatal stabbing of a 38-year-old woman who was attacked inside a residence in the Bronx.
- Augusta officers cleared in excessive force complaint Updated: May-27-16 4:55 am
BANGOR, Maine - Two Augusta police officers have been cleared of a veteran's claim that they used excessive force on him during his August 2012 arrest for criminal trespassing.
- Online dance craze sweeps police departments across US Updated: May-27-16 3:25 am
LOS ANGELES - In an online sensation, police officers across the U.S. are dancing an updated version of the running man to a catchy 1990s hip hop song in videos that have included professional sports mascots, cheerleading squads and at least one explosion.
- Spike in crime in Las Vegas spurs search for causes, cures Updated: May-27-16 3:13 am
LAS VEGAS - From shootings on the Strip to the killing of a liquor store clerk who couldn't open a safe to an April weekend that saw five slayings in separate cases, crime is spiking in the shadows in Las Vegas - and spurring questions about causes and cures.
- The Latest: Authorities hope to find abducted girl alive Updated: May-27-16 12:26 am
SOLVANG, California - The Latest on an abduction of a teen girl seen dragged on a Northern California overpass (all times local):
- Seattle police kill dog that attacked 2 women, another dog Updated: May-27-16 12:02 am
SEATTLE - Police say an officer shot and killed a dog that attacked two women and a dog in Seattle.
- Oldest living Grand Rapids police retiree dies at 95 Updated: May-26-16 9:47 pm
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - The oldest living Grand Rapids police retiree has died at age 95.
- Police: Scottsdale man allegedly shot by wife in neck dies Updated: May-26-16 8:56 pm
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Authorities say a Scottsdale man allegedly shot in the neck by his wife during a domestic dispute has died.
- St. Paul police: Man dead after being shot by police Updated: May-26-16 8:20 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - St. Paul police say a man is dead after being shot by police.
- Suspect in deadly St. Louis carjacking killed by police Updated: May-26-16 8:13 pm
WASHINGTON PARK, Illinois - A man sought in the fatal shooting of a woman during a carjacking in which the suspects threw an infant from the vehicle has been shot and killed by police in Illinois.