- Cash-strapped UN food agency reduces help to Syrian refugees Updated: Jul-02-15 10:55 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The United Nations' food agency is cutting back on assistance to thousands of Syrian refugees after an appeal for a ceasefire to enable Syrians feed themselves went unheeded, World Food Program Executive Director Ertharin Cousin said on Friday.
- Israel, Hamas in unspoken alliance against Gaza extremists Updated: Jun-21-15 11:29 am
- US, EU ready tough Russia sanctions, in case they're needed Updated: Jun-18-15 3:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States and European governments have readied a new round of penalties against Russia targeting its energy and financial sectors as part of a sanctions-in-waiting strategy that officials hope will enable the West to respond immediately if Moscow-backed insurgents seize more territory in Ukraine.
- Correction: Ukraine-Artillery Duels story Updated: Jun-16-15 10:07 am
DONETSK, Ukraine - In a story June 15 about artillery duels in eastern Ukraine, The Associated Press reported erroneously that a rebel salvo hit a checkpoint, killing a rebel fighter. The shelling was apparent Ukrainian government fire.
- Ethnic Kokang rebels declare unilateral ceasefire in Myanmar Updated: Jun-11-15 6:38 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Ethnic Kokang rebels fighting against government troops in northeastern Myanmar declared a unilateral ceasefire on Thursday.
- THE LATEST: Obama says G-7 studying more sanctions on Russia Updated: Jun-08-15 11:35 am
ELMAU, Germany - 5:27 p.m. (1527GMT; 12:27 a.m. EDT)
- Fed up with failing peace, Ukraine rebels eager to fight Updated: Jun-06-15 11:25 am
DOKUCHAYEVSK, Ukraine - In this front-line town in eastern Ukraine, the cease-fire called more than three months ago seems to be only an insulting guise. Shelling rocks the area so often that dogs have learned to head for the basement at the first blast.