- Judge: Man is fugitive former child TV host from Louisiana Updated: Feb-11-16 2:53 pm
SAN DIEGO - A judge ruled Thursday that a former Cub Scout leader in the San Diego area is the former child television show host "Mr. Wonder," who fled Louisiana in 1979 amid allegations that he sexually abused children on a camping trip.
- The Latest: San Diego court says man is Louisiana fugitive Updated: Feb-11-16 1:26 pm
SAN DIEGO - The Latest on a San Diego court hearing to confirm that a recently arrested man is a fugitive from Louisiana wanted in an investigation of 1979 child sex abuse allegations (all times local):
- San Diego hearing to determine if man is Louisiana fugitive Updated: Feb-11-16 12:41 pm
SAN DIEGO - A San Diego court will determine whether a recently arrested man is a former children's TV show host known as "Mr. Wonder," who fled Louisiana in 1979 amid allegations he sexually abused children on a camping trip.
- AP NewsBreak: Slavery book author says she had concerns Updated: Feb-11-16 11:16 am
NEW YORK - The author of a children's book pulled last month because of its smiling depiction of slaves says she herself objected to the illustrations and had expressed early concerns with the publisher, Scholastic.
- Author of 'Thirteen Reasons Why' has new novel coming Updated: Feb-10-16 1:35 pm
NEW YORK - The author of "Thirteen Reasons Why," the million-selling young adult novel being developed as a Netflix series, has finished his first solo work of fiction in nearly a decade.
- New Potter play coming out in book form Updated: Feb-10-16 11:20 am
NEW YORK - The new Harry Potter play will become a new Harry Potter book.
- Kelly Clarkson has deal for picture book Updated: Feb-09-16 2:33 pm
NEW YORK - Kelly Clarkson has written a new song and a bedtime story for kids - her own included.
- Broadway's 'Tuck Everlasting' hopes for eternal experience Updated: Feb-08-16 9:57 am
NEW YORK - Andrew Keenan-Bolger isn't tapping into his vulnerable side for his next Broadway role. He's trying to be utterly fearless.
- DC officials launch free book program for children Updated: Feb-05-16 3:16 am
WASHINGTON - Officials in Washington are launching a program that will provide a free book every month children under the age of five.
- Colorado grants rebate to planned JonBenet Ramsey film Updated: Feb-04-16 10:57 am
DENVER - Colorado has granted financial incentives to a team planning a film about the killing of child beauty pageant star JonBenet Ramsey in 1996.
- Book illustrator's art poster appearing in NYC subway system Updated: Feb-01-16 12:02 pm
NEW YORK - An art poster created by a children's book author and illustrator for the subway system celebrates New York City's voices and music.
- Women, youngsters dominate in rock field at Grammy Awards Updated: Jan-28-16 1:55 pm
NEW YORK - For years, men - and legacy acts - have dominated in the rock category at the Grammy Awards, leaving little room for female stars who rock as loud and hard as the guys and young bands hoping to breakthrough on the music scene.
- Dad accused of endangerment in tot's drowning set for trial Updated: Jan-28-16 10:14 am
MEADVILLE, Pennsylvania - A Pennsylvania man accused of smoking pot and listening to loud music while his toddler drowned in a bathtub will face trial on a child endangerment charge.
- E-book use climbs among Hancock County library patrons Updated: Jan-28-16 5:01 am
GREENFIELD, Indiana - There was a time when checking out an audio book from a library meant rifling through a stack of CDs or cassettes.
- Man denies he is TV host wanted on child sex charges Updated: Jan-27-16 9:00 pm
SAN DIEGO - A former Cub Scout leader who often invited children to his suburban home to swim denied Wednesday that he is the former host of a children's television show who went by the name "Mr. Wonder" and is wanted in Louisiana on charges that he sexually abused children during a camping retreat nearly four decades ago.
- Children's mystery 'The Lie Tree' wins UK's Costa book prize Updated: Jan-27-16 5:38 am
LONDON - "The Lie Tree," a Victorian mystery for young readers, has won Britain's Costa Book of the Year prize - a rare triumph for youth fiction at a major literary prize.
- Ex-TV show host arrested in 37-year-old sex abuse case Updated: Jan-26-16 5:11 pm
ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana - A man who once hosted a children's show on local television under the name "Mr. Wonder" has been arrested on charges he sexually abused children during a camping retreat in central Louisiana nearly four decades ago.
- Previously unpublished Beatrix Potter story discovered Updated: Jan-26-16 6:01 am
LONDON - Peter Rabbit is back, in a previously unpublished story by children's author Beatrix Potter.
- Publisher rejects criticism of decision to pull slavery book Updated: Jan-25-16 9:49 pm
NEW YORK - The publisher Scholastic is rejecting criticism by two leading advocates for free expression that it committed self-censorship in halting distribution of a picture book about slavery.
- JK Rowling to receive PEN award for literary service Updated: Jan-25-16 10:22 am
NEW YORK - J.K. Rowling's latest honor isn't only for her writing.
- Frederick woman finds her voice in children's books Updated: Jan-24-16 9:03 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - Shawn Stout vividly remembers the moment she found her "writer's voice."
- Free-speech groups criticize recent pulling of slavery book Updated: Jan-22-16 6:41 pm
NEW YORK - Two prominent free-speech organizations are criticizing publisher Scholastic's recent pulling of a children's picture book about slavery and calling it a "shocking and nearly unprecedented case" of self-censorship.
- Recent controversies spark discussion about slavery books Updated: Jan-22-16 11:25 am
NEW YORK - When children's author-illustrator Don Tate works on a book about slavery, he keeps in mind that a smile must be more than just a smile.
- Advocates push New Mexico lawmakers on child poverty Updated: Jan-19-16 1:19 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Advocates are pushing New Mexico lawmakers to address the state's dismal ranking when it comes to child wellbeing and the number who live in poverty.
- 'High School Musical' stars reunite for 10th anniversary Updated: Jan-17-16 9:39 pm
LOS ANGELES - The stars of "High School Musical" are reuniting for a 10th-anniversary tribute to the TV movie.