- Vanishing China execs a vexatious mystery for HK market Updated: Nov-25-15 8:28 am
HONG KONG - The chairman of the Hong Kong arm of one of China's biggest securities companies goes missing. The head of another firm resurfaces after months incommunicado. An executive at a film studio is detained for allegedly taking bribes.
- 5 charged in $580M Southern California kickback scheme Updated: Nov-24-15 7:25 pm
LOS ANGELES - Five people, including a former hospital executive and two surgeons, are charged with a massive kickback scheme that resulted in billing $580 million to the government and insurance companies, authorities announced Tuesday.
- Kenya's president reshuffles Cabinet after graft allegations Updated: Nov-24-15 5:16 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's president reshuffled his Cabinet Tuesday to replace five ministers who are being investigated for graft and one who resigned over the weekend after being accused of corruption.
- FIFA ethics committee seeks life ban against Michel Platini Updated: Nov-24-15 12:23 pm
PARIS - The FIFA ethics committee has requested a life ban for Michel Platini, the Frenchman's lawyer said Tuesday, a move that would rule the UEFA president out of the race to succeed Sepp Blatter.
- Kenya president declares corruption national security threat Updated: Nov-23-15 9:43 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's president on Monday declared corruption a national security threat and he presented a raft of measures to fight the graft that is endemic in East Africa's largest economy.
- New York lawmakers slow to address corruption despite trials Updated: Nov-21-15 10:23 am
ALBANY, New York - Two of the most powerful men in New York state government are on trial for corruption at the same time. Voter turnout is lower than it's been in decades. And polls show the public is as distrustful as it is apathetic.
- Detective whose story is featured in McFarland USA arrested Updated: Nov-20-15 4:56 pm
FRESNO, California - A California police detective who was a member of the championship 1987 track team depicted in the movie McFarland USA has been charged with tipping off a drug dealer in return for more than $15,000 in bribes over three years, federal authorities announced Friday in Bakersfield.
- Former prison guard gets 2 years for accepting bribes Updated: Nov-20-15 2:43 pm
OCALA, Florida - A former corrections officer at a federal prison in central Florida has been sentenced to two years in prison for accepting bribes.
- Suspended officer indicted on bribery, menacing charges Updated: Nov-20-15 10:31 am
ELYRIA, Ohio - A northeast Ohio police officer has been indicted on charges including bribery, menacing by stalking and tampering with evidence.
- Former New York auto clerk gets probation for taking bribes Updated: Nov-20-15 3:05 am
BUFFALO, New York - A former New York auto bureau clerk has avoided jail for accepting bribes to help people get learner's permits.
- Federal prison guard in Virginia sentenced for bribery Updated: Nov-19-15 3:55 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A guard at the federal prison in Petersburg has been sentenced to one year and six months for taking bribes in exchange for smuggling cigarettes to inmates.
- Oklahoma man gets 1-year prison sentence for bribery scheme Updated: Nov-19-15 10:44 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma man has been sentenced to one year and one day in federal prison after pleading guilty to conspiring to bribe workers at military installations in Oklahoma and Texas.
- Councilman faces bribery charge for trying to get 15K Updated: Nov-19-15 5:41 am
BLOOMFIELD, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey councilman has been arrested on charges he told a business owner he needed to pay $15,000 or the township wouldn't purchase his property.
- Restaurant owner pleads not guilty to bribing ex-Speaker Fox Updated: Nov-18-15 2:54 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A restaurant owner charged with bribing former state House Speaker Gordon Fox pleaded not guilty Wednesday to paying the Democratic politician more than $50,000 to ensure his business got a liquor license.
- Doctor sentenced in New Jersey lab referral scheme Updated: Nov-18-15 2:20 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A Long Island doctor has been sentenced to prison for his role in a bribery scheme involving a New Jersey lab.
- Editorials from around New York Updated: Nov-18-15 10:41 am
Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New York's newspapers:
- Mood for change: Demonstrators demand clean Romania Updated: Nov-08-15 1:48 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A nightclub fire in Bucharest that killed at least 45 people became the tipping point for many Romanians who have long been frustrated with corruption among leaders. But as the government resigned amid street protests this week, many remained skeptical that the leaderless street movement will succeed in doing away with the old order.
- Russia, track & field to be targeted in Pound's WADA report Updated: Nov-08-15 11:42 am
GENEVA - A World Anti-Doping Agency panel will deliver its findings Monday into allegations of extortion and cover-ups involving Russian doping - a report that one of the investigators said exposes "a whole different scale of corruption" from the FIFA scandal.
- Sharm el-Sheikh airport officials reveal porous security Updated: Nov-07-15 6:21 pm
CAIRO - The airport at Egypt's resort of Sharm el-Sheikh has long seen gaps in security, including a key baggage scanning device that often is not functioning and lax searches at an entry gate for food and fuel for the planes, security officials at the airport told The Associated Press.
- US court orders resentencing for former state Senate leader Updated: Nov-06-15 4:43 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal appeals court on Friday ordered that the former leader of the Oklahoma Senate be resentenced for a bribery conviction, ruling that his probation sentence was "little more than a slap on the wrist" and deserves prison time.
- Things to know about doping in Russia Updated: Nov-06-15 4:27 am
MOSCOW - Allegations that Russian athletes have routinely doped their way to success in major competitions and tried to cover up positive drug tests have shaken the world of track and field.
- 3rd soldier pleads guilty to money crimes at Afghan base Updated: Nov-05-15 5:15 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - An Army captain has become at least the third soldier stationed at a bustling Afghan air base to plead guilty to financial crimes in a North Carolina court.
- Virginia Beach mayor charged with conflict of interest Updated: Nov-05-15 1:10 pm
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - The mayor of Virginia Beach has been charged with five misdemeanor counts of violating the state's Conflict of Interest Act.
- Waggoner sentencing delayed in prison contract bribery case Updated: Nov-05-15 12:27 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Sentencing has been indefinitely delayed for a Carthage man who pleaded guilty to bribing former Corrections Commissioner Christopher Epps.
- Ex-US customs officer pleads guilty in Arizona drug case Updated: Nov-04-15 7:20 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - A former U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer has pleaded guilty to conspiring to smuggle marijuana into Arizona and accepting bribes to let drug loads through the Douglas port of entry.