- Pope's visit to violent Mexican city highlights broader ills Updated: Feb-08-16 12:19 pm
ECATEPEC, Mexico - One evening in September 2014, Mariana Yanez left her home in this crime-plagued Mexico City suburb saying she was going to make some photocopies. Then she vanished.
- Parole recommended for former California Mexican Mafia chief Updated: Feb-05-16 7:15 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Acting amid extra tight security, parole commissioners on Friday again recommended the release of a former leader of the Mexican Mafia prison gang who now helps law enforcement, Board of Parole Hearings spokesman Luis Patino said.
- Man gets federal prison time for role in Maine drug ring Updated: Feb-05-16 7:12 am
BANGOR, Maine - A former Connecticut man who pleaded guilty to his role in a crack cocaine distribution ring in Maine has been sentenced to three years behind bars.
- Pennsylvania man pleads guilty to role in drug ring Updated: Feb-05-16 3:05 am
CLARKSBURG, West Virginia - A Pennsylvania man has pleaded guilty to participating in a ring that sold heroin and prescription drugs in West Virginia.
- Lawyer: Mexican actress willing to talk about drug capo Updated: Feb-04-16 10:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - An attorney for actress Kate del Castillo said Thursday she is willing to talk to Mexican authorities about her encounters with Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman and felt "betrayed" and "used" by actor Sean Penn, who wrote a lengthy article about his meeting with the drug kingpin after the actress introduced the two men.
- Authorities: Columbus teacher connected to meth ring Updated: Feb-04-16 5:52 am
COLUMBUS, Mississippi - Federal authorities have taken a Columbus Middle School educator into custody after a grand jury indicted the teacher on charges of aiding a methamphetamine ring.
- Middle school teacher indicted in drug case Updated: Feb-03-16 1:34 pm
ABERDEEN, Mississippi - A federal grand jury has indicted a teacher at a middle school in Columbus on drug charges and money laundering.
- Police seize heroin valued at $2.4M in New Jersey hotel Updated: Feb-03-16 8:04 am
SECAUCUS, New Jersey - New Jersey state troopers and members of the New York Drug Enforcement Task Force say they have seized heroin with a street value of $2.4 million.
- UN group: Arrest of Washington state woman in Mexico illegal Updated: Feb-02-16 7:04 pm
SEATTLE - A United Nations panel has ruled Mexico's 2013 arrest and its continuing detention of a community police leader are illegal, raising hopes among her supporters she could be freed.
- Baltimore man sentenced for heroin distribution Updated: Feb-02-16 3:05 am
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - A Baltimore man has been sentenced to eight years and four months in federal prison for his leading role in a heroin trafficking ring that distributed the drug in several states.
- Mexico: Cross-border cartel sting netted 22 arrests, 2 dead Updated: Feb-01-16 2:33 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican authorities say a recent raid near the desert border with Arizona resulted in two drug cartel suspects killed and 22 more arrested.
- 19 arrested in connection with drug, gambling ring Updated: Jan-27-16 11:51 pm
SAN DIEGO - Nineteen people from four states were arrested Wednesday in connection with an international drug trafficking and illegal gambling ring that authorities allege was headed by a former college athlete.
- 8 plead guilty in major synthetic drug ring in Miami Updated: Jan-26-16 4:49 pm
MIAMI - Eight people have pleaded guilty in a major synthetic drug ring in Miami.
- Albanian police arrest 5 in trafficking crackdown Updated: Jan-26-16 11:22 am
TIRANA, Albania - Police in Albania say they have arrested five suspects as part of a crackdown on an international human and drug trafficking ring, coordinated with authorities in Italy, Slovakia and Belgium.
- 2nd Canadian man sentenced in NY for pot-smuggling operation Updated: Jan-25-16 6:46 am
SYRACUSE, New York - The second of two Canadian men convicted of running a multi-million-dollar marijuana-trafficking operation has been sentenced in a New York court.
- Feds say Georgia inmates carried out fraud scheme from cells Updated: Jan-21-16 5:34 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia inmates used contraband cellphones to carry out financial fraud schemes from their prison cells, federal prosecutors in Atlanta said.
- Reputed mobster gets 1 ½ years for marijuana distribution Updated: Jan-21-16 6:45 am
BOSTON - A reputed member of the New England Mafia living in suburban Boston was sentenced to serve 1 ½ years in federal prison for his role in a large-scale marijuana distribution ring.
- Authorities: Drug ring imported more than a ton of marijuana Updated: Jan-19-16 10:08 am
HAMPTON, Virginia - Authorities have shut down a drug ring that they say imported more than a ton of marijuana into Hampton Roads.
- Former Indiana deputy charged in synthetic drug ring Updated: Jan-16-16 12:08 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A former central Indiana sheriff's deputy has been charged for his alleged role in a large synthetic drug operation.
- Former Mexico politician held in Spain on suspicion of fraud Updated: Jan-16-16 10:29 am
MADRID - A Spanish court has ruled that a prominent former Mexican politician who was arrested on a Spanish warrant should be held in custody while officers investigate alleged corruption.
- Ex-Houston officer convicted in drug cartel-related case Updated: Jan-15-16 4:17 pm
HOUSTON - A former Houston police officer faces up to 30 years in prison after being convicted of helping a Mexican cartel traffic drugs.
- 18 people face federal charges in St. Louis cocaine ring Updated: Jan-15-16 3:48 am
ST. LOUIS - Eighteen people face federal charges in a cocaine trafficking ring linked to St. Louis homicides.
- Authorities: Ex-officer charged in prescription drug case Updated: Jan-14-16 9:35 am
LANSING, Michigan - Authorities say a former police officer is charged in a Michigan prescription drug ring that involved impersonating doctors and submitting fake prescriptions.
- Kansas City man, 37, charged in cocaine distribution ring Updated: Jan-14-16 8:06 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A Kansas City man on parole for the killing of a 16-year-old boy has been charged with being part of a cocaine distribution ring.
- Orange County Mexican Mafia leader Peter Ojeda convicted Updated: Jan-13-16 10:52 pm
SANTA ANA, California - The head of an Orange County wing of the Mexican Mafia and his onetime girlfriend have been convicted of federal charges of racketeering and conspiracy to commit assault and murder.