- Judge gets case against Iowa 'roadside zoo' accused of abuse Updated: Oct-09-15 1:42 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A trial has wrapped up in a federal lawsuit against a privately owned zoo in northeastern Iowa that could affect how so-called roadside zoos around the country care for animals considered endangered.
- Man sentenced to 9 months in jail for starving pet pit bull Updated: Oct-09-15 12:44 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - A Palm Beach County man has been sentenced to nine months in jail for nearly starving a pet pit bull to death.
- Deputies make cockfighting bust in St. Martin Parish Updated: Oct-09-15 8:20 am
BREAUX BRIDGE, Louisiana - Sheriff's deputies say three St. Martin Parish residents have been arrested for cockfighting.
- Facebook video leads to animal cruelty charges against man Updated: Oct-09-15 7:15 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A Sioux Falls man is charged with animal cruelty after the Humane Society alerted police to a Facebook post allegedly showing him slamming and strangling two dogs.
- Papillion man gets 30 days in prison in shooting of 2 dogs Updated: Oct-09-15 6:06 am
PAPILLION, Nebraska - A Papillion man found guilty of shooting his family's two dogs with a BB gun, killing one, has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.
- Hudson Valley pet shop closes; owner facing cruelty charges Updated: Oct-08-15 9:14 am
WAPPINGERS FALLS, New York - A Hudson Valley pet store whose owner is facing animal cruelty charges has closed.
- Lawyer requests extension in Vermont animal cruelty case Updated: Oct-08-15 6:42 am
MORRISVILLE, Vermont - An attorney has asked for an extension in the case of a woman accused of keeping dozens of dogs and cats in deplorable conditions in her northern Vermont home.
- Phoenix man accused of using roosters for cockfighting Updated: Oct-08-15 6:15 am
PHOENIX - A Phoenix man is facing felony charges after authorities found more than 40 roosters in his house along with materials associated with cockfighting.
- Zimbabwe official: 5 arrested for poisoning 11 elephants Updated: Oct-07-15 10:26 am
HARARE, Zimbabwe - A Zimbabwean wildlife official says five people are in police custody and being questioned over the killing of 11 elephants poisoned by cyanide at Hwange National Park in the west of the country.
- Man accused of beating Chihuahua ordered to get counseling Updated: Oct-07-15 10:02 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - A man who beat a Chihuahua that belonged to his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend has been ordered to attend animal-empathy counseling.
- Pennsylvania man facing trial in slaying of girlfriend's cat Updated: Oct-07-15 5:39 am
EASTON, Pennsylvania - An eastern Pennsylvania man who police say beat his girlfriend's cat to death for scratching him will face trial.
- Cops: Dog kicked to death for relieving itself on man's lawn Updated: Oct-07-15 3:43 am
KEENE, New Hampshire - A city council candidate in southwestern New Hampshire is facing animal cruelty charges after police say he kicked his neighbor's 17-year-old dog to death after it tried to relieve itself on his lawn.
- Mexico City investigates reports of dog poisoning at park Updated: Oct-06-15 6:31 pm
MEXICO CITY - A popular dog run in a picturesque Mexico City park remained closed Tuesday following reported cases of dog poisoning.
- Teen accused of poisoning dog he feared would kill his birds Updated: Oct-06-15 7:44 am
OCALA, Florida - A north Florida teen told authorities he poisoned his neighbor's Jack Russell terrier because he feared it would get into his backyard and attack his guinea fowl.
- 3 Garyville men accused of dogfighting Updated: Oct-06-15 5:02 am
GARYVILLE, Louisiana - The St. John the Baptist Church sheriff's office is accusing three Garyville men of participating in dogfighting.
- MCSO: Worker at Gila Bend dairy farm accused of killing cows Updated: Oct-05-15 6:53 pm
GILA BEND, Arizona - A worker at a dairy farm in Gila Bend is in custody for allegedly killing four cows with a knife and severely injuring five other cows.
- Woman charged, posted pictures of dog's duct-taped mouth Updated: Oct-05-15 12:14 pm
SALISBURY, North Carolina - A Salisbury woman has been charged after authorities say she posted pictures on Facebook showing her dog's mouth sealed with duct tape.
- Jury convicts man of poisoning 9 cats in West Salem Updated: Oct-03-15 3:47 pm
SALEM, Oregon - A jury in Polk County has convicted a man of poisoning cats with antifreeze in West Salem.
- 2 Indiana women mauled by pack of dogs, 1 critically injured Updated: Oct-02-15 5:36 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Two young women mauled by a pack of dogs as they were taking an evening walk may not have survived if a motorist who noticed their ordeal had not driven into a remote field to rescue them, a northern Indiana sheriff said Friday.
- Dozens of seized animals adopted out by Spearfish shelter Updated: Oct-02-15 10:18 am
SPEARFISH, South Dakota - When local police seized 42 dogs and cats destined for a Wisconsin puppy mill on April 25, the Western Hills Humane Society wasn't sure where they'd put all the animals. But, thanks to a little help from their friends, nearly all of the critters have been adopted.
- High court upholds horse owner's animal cruelty conviction Updated: Oct-02-15 7:08 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The state's highest court has upheld a jury conviction for a Vermont man charged with animal cruelty after police found dead and emaciated horses on his property.
- Nevada man who tortured, killed dogs gets up to 28 years Updated: Oct-01-15 8:03 pm
RENO, Nevada - A 25-year-old former presidential scholar and psychology major convicted of torturing, killing and dismembering seven dogs was sentenced to up to 28 years in Nevada state prison Thursday in what the judge, prosecutor and defense lawyer all agreed may be the most horrific crime they have ever seen in their decades of legal practice.
- Judge: Probable cause to seize dogs from Penrose home Updated: Sep-30-15 8:41 pm
CANON CITY, Colorado - A judge has ruled there was probable cause to seize more than three dozen neglected dogs from a Penrose home.
- Siblings plead not guilty to animal cruelty Updated: Sep-30-15 6:38 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - Siblings accused of tying a dog to a pipe and leaving it in the summer heat with no food, water or shelter pleaded not guilty in Adams County Justice Court.
- Police, ASPCA raid home to rescue dogs from fight operation Updated: Sep-29-15 4:33 pm
HUNTERSVILLE, North Carolina - Animal control police and the ASPCA have raided a home in Huntersville and seized 23 pit bulls that were being trained to fight.