- In New Hampshire, substance abuse at center of 2016 campaign Updated: Sep-30-15 3:29 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - In town halls and meet-and-greets in Iowa and New Hampshire, voters are using their access to presidential hopefuls to raise painful and often deeply personal concerns about drug abuse.
- Ohio again sees new record number of drug overdose deaths Updated: Sep-24-15 5:04 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A record number of Ohioans died from drug overdoses last year thanks in part to abuse of a synthetic painkiller far more powerful than heroin, the Department of Health said Thursday.
- Kansas doctor, wife face new sentencing in overdose deaths Updated: Sep-23-15 2:36 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - The Kansas physician and his wife were convicted of a shocking crime: running a moneymaking conspiracy at a clinic prosecutors have linked to 68 drug overdose deaths.
- Heroin addict's letter thanking cop stirs up social media Updated: Sep-18-15 4:48 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A Maine man's letter describing a Portland police officer's compassionate response to his struggle with heroin addiction has social media buzzing.
- Indiana panel hears state lacks help for drug addicts Updated: Sep-17-15 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A psychiatrist told a task force studying Indiana's drug abuse troubles that the state lacks the trained personnel needed to provide treatment for those addicted to drugs.
- Groups seek details on Senate probe into painkiller ties Updated: Sep-16-15 6:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Anti-addiction activists are calling on a Senate committee to release findings from a 3-year-old investigation into links between painkiller manufacturers and nonprofit medical groups.
- Midwest meth-making down, but Mexican imports fill the void Updated: Sep-13-15 10:14 am
ST. LOUIS - The manufacture of methamphetamine is sharply down in certain Midwestern states that have had the most trouble with the drug over the years, but it remains as popular as ever with users due to an influx of cheap Mexican imports, according to experts.
- Vermont legalizes electronic prescriptions for all drugs Updated: Sep-11-15 10:08 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont is legalizing electronic prescribing for all controlled substances.
- Wisconsin lawmaker readies quartet of anti-heroin measures Updated: Sep-08-15 6:35 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Republican lawmaker whose daughter has struggled with a heroin addiction announced Tuesday he plans to introduce another round of legislation focusing on opiate prescriptions that can lead to heroin abuse.
- Near LA's Koreatown, pastor tries to lift veil on drug abuse Updated: Sep-04-15 4:19 pm
LOS ANGELES - In a blue-and-white church on the outskirts of Los Angeles' Koreatown, pastor Young Ho Han is trying to lift the veil on a problem silently afflicting his community: drug abuse among young Korean-Americans.