- New laws aim to help Arizona curb overdose abuse, deaths Updated: May-24-16 7:41 pm
PHOENIX - As prescription pain relievers increasingly fuel addictions around the country, Arizona is moving to curb the sale of unnecessary prescription drugs and reduce the number of overdose-related deaths.
- In 'big cement momma,' inmates find path to sobriety Updated: May-23-16 1:06 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - She calls her spot in the Lehigh County Jail the "big cement momma."
- The cost of an overdose in Massachusetts Updated: May-23-16 10:14 am
FRAMINGHAM, Massachusetts - It all starts with a $20 to $30 purchase.
- Morrisey to take applications for medication incinerators Updated: May-23-16 9:58 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey says law enforcement agencies can soon apply for incinerators for unwanted and expired prescription medication.
- Ohio officials teaming up at forum on opioid addiction Updated: May-23-16 9:56 am
FINDLAY, Ohio - An Ohio congressman will team up with state officials next month to host a forum looking at opioid addiction in the state.
- Some forced to leave Delaware for drug addiction treatment Updated: May-22-16 4:23 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Some Delaware residents are going elsewhere to fight drug addictions due to a lack of services in the state.
- States ban kratom supplement over abuse worries Updated: May-20-16 11:32 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A little-known plant-based substance often sold as an herbal supplement to address chronic pain is raising alarm bells in states concerned that it could be as addictive as heroin.
- Rhode Island Senate votes to limit opioid prescriptions Updated: May-20-16 11:12 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Senate has passed a bill it hopes will curb the supply of addictive painkillers by setting limits on opioid prescriptions.
- Pennsylvania doctors launch anti-opioid addiction effort Updated: May-17-16 4:07 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Pennsylvania Medical Society launched an education effort Tuesday to help physicians and patients find treatment alternatives to highly addictive painkillers in an effort to stem a tide of overdoses and addiction.
- NY Senate GOP unveils plan to fight heroin, opioid abuse Updated: May-17-16 3:42 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York state Senate's Republican majority has released a list of 35 recommendations for addressing the state's heroin and opioid epidemic.
- Methadone programs help inmates treat their opioid addiction Updated: May-16-16 9:38 am
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - "It's like the flu times 10," Daniel said from his perch atop a plastic chair within Bridgeport Correctional Center, his temporary home.
- Boston prison rethinking purpose of incarceration Updated: May-16-16 9:31 am
BOSTON - The tomato seedlings in the urban garden were sprouting. The basketball court was filled with men in blue, gray, and brown uniforms shooting hoops and doing pushups. Inside, at vocational classes, men learned the art of tailoring a suit while a group of women studied toward their GEDs.
- Obama, Macklemore make pitch for better opioid treatment Updated: May-14-16 10:23 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama joined forces with the rap artist Macklemore to improve efforts to reach out to those addicted to opioids and those who overdose on the drug often found in prescription painkillers.
- Bill would encourage police to help addicts find treatment Updated: May-13-16 4:58 pm
BOSTON - Legislation aimed at encouraging police departments to help heroin addicts find treatment instead of jail - a concept pioneered in Massachusetts by the Gloucester Police Department - has won approval in the U.S. House.
- 3 doctors accused of selling $5M in prescription drugs Updated: May-12-16 6:30 am
PHILADELPHIA - Federal prosecutors allege three doctors at a now-defunct clinic in Philadelphia that specialized in helping drug addicts actually sold them $5 million worth of prescription drugs.
- House passes bills to combat heroin, substance abuse Updated: May-11-16 6:31 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - House lawmakers voted Wednesday to put nearly $9 million toward fighting New Hampshire's heroin and opioid abuse crisis.
- Prison begins offering injectable addiction recovery drug Updated: May-10-16 5:09 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A female inmate leaving prison this week is New Hampshire's first to be released after receiving an injectable drug that blocks the feelings of pleasure associated with opioid use.
- Richmond hospital sees increase in opioid-addicted newborns Updated: May-10-16 3:43 pm
RICHMOND, Indiana - Statistics show a steep increase in the number of babies born addicted to opioids at Reid Health hospital in Richmond.
- Drug crisis hotline to start in New Hampshire this week Updated: May-10-16 1:28 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - New Hampshire residents struggling with heroin addiction and other substance abuse problems will soon be able to call a state hotline for help.
- Cuomo names task force to address ongoing heroin problem Updated: May-10-16 12:51 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo has appointed a task force aimed at ending what he called a crisis of heroin and opioid addiction continuing to plague families and communities in New York.
- High school for recovering addicts may close Updated: May-09-16 11:53 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin's only high school focused on helping students recover from drug and alcohol addiction may be forced to close due to financial difficulties, according to administrators.
- Vet Court graduate loses addiction battle Updated: May-07-16 10:59 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - James Gregory Dickinson entered the Montana 8th Judicial District Veterans Treatment Court with nothing but an addiction to meth - no home, no job, no identification.
- Questions arise about California doctor's response to Prince Updated: May-05-16 6:26 pm
Was a California doctor acting legally when he sent his son to Prince's home with a drug often used to treat people addicted to opiates such as prescription painkillers?
- Board OKs addiction recovery center to open in Concord Updated: May-05-16 11:05 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - An addiction recovery center has been approved to open in Concord.
- The Latest: Doctor called to help Prince is pain specialist Updated: May-05-16 12:36 am
MILL VALLEY, California - The Latest on Dr. Howard Kornfeld, an addiction and pain specialist, who was asked to help Prince before his death (all times local):