- Lawmakers ban cash for superintendents' group after election Updated: May-28-16 4:46 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - State lawmakers have made it illegal for school districts to spend any public money on the Mississippi Association of School Superintendents, saying leaders of local school districts personally attacked state officials while they were seeking votes for a school funding initiative last year.
- Fort Smith lawyer drops effort to restore Rebel mascot Updated: May-28-16 2:41 pm
FORT SMITH, Arkansas - A Fort Smith lawyer is giving up his efforts to restore the Rebel mascot at Southside High School after two board members told him they would no longer vote to restore the mascot.
- Ohio House honors retiring Miami University president Updated: May-28-16 11:15 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A retiring president of a southwest Ohio university has been honored by the Ohio House with a resolution recognizing his accomplishments.
- Evers is new superintendent for Pass Christian schools Updated: May-28-16 10:40 am
PASS CHRISTIAN, Mississippi - The Pass Christian School Board has selected Carla Evers as the new superintendent.
- Arrest made in death of East Feliciana School Board member Updated: May-27-16 4:02 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Police have made an arrest in the shooting death of an East Feliciana Parish School Board member.
- University of Missouri Law School dean stepping down Updated: May-27-16 2:55 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - The University of Missouri Law School dean is stepping down.
- STI cuts leave businesses with unanswered questions Updated: May-27-16 9:21 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Southeast Technical Institute is dissolving a program focused on workforce development - a move not welcomed by some local business owners.
- WVU recommends new 5-year contract for president Updated: May-27-16 4:02 am
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia - West Virginia University is recommending a new five-year contract for President Gordon Gee.
- Niagara University provost named Northern State president Updated: May-26-16 5:00 pm
ABERDEEN, South Dakota - Niagara University Provost Timothy Downs has been named the next president of Northern State University.
- Ex-Columbus principal agrees to forfeit education license Updated: May-26-16 3:39 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A former Columbus City Schools principal implicated in a district data scrubbing scandal has agreed to never try to re-obtain her state educator's licenses.
- Ex-Auburn baseball coach sues seeking $1 million buyout Updated: May-25-16 9:22 pm
AUBURN, Alabama - Former Auburn baseball coach Sunny Golloway has filed suit in federal court seeking payment of his $1 million buyout.
- Supreme Court rejects Chicago State's lawsuit appeal Updated: May-25-16 8:24 pm
CHICAGO - The Illinois Supreme Court has denied Chicago State University's appeal of the awarding of more than $3 million to a former administrator in a whistleblower case.
- District accused of demoting employee for maternity leave Updated: May-25-16 8:11 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - Federal officials are suing a South Florida school district, claiming an assistant principal was demoted for taking maternity leave.
- Regents approve Ronnie Green as new UNL chancellor Updated: May-25-16 4:50 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The University of Nebraska Board of Regents has approved the appointment of a new chancellor for the university's Lincoln campus.
- Tulsa superintendent donates bonus to school foundation Updated: May-25-16 4:29 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - The superintendent of the Tulsa school system says she is giving her $25,000 performance bonus to a foundation to help the district's teachers.
- Columbus school district changes gender identity policy Updated: May-25-16 4:09 pm
COLUMBUS, Indiana - A southern Indiana school district has decided to add gender identity to an existing policy to allow students to use facilities designed for the sex with which they identify.
- Audit: 'Serious mismanagement' by ex-school administrator Updated: May-25-16 3:51 pm
ST. LOUIS - A state audit released Wednesday cites "serious mismanagement" by the former superintendent of the Fox School District in suburban St. Louis, alleging she spent nearly $100,000 on questionable expenses with little oversight from the school board.
- School head gets 2 days to mull leave in teacher-sex scandal Updated: May-25-16 2:57 pm
PLUM, Pennsylvania - A district superintendent in suburban Pittsburgh has two days to consider taking paid leave while the school board investigates how he handled reports of inappropriate sexual relationships between teachers and students.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 1:41 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
- Swiss region: Muslim boys must shake female teachers' hands Updated: May-25-16 1:41 pm
GENEVA - A school board in northern Switzerland said Wednesday that two Muslim boys who have refused to shake hands with their female teachers for religious reasons can be required to do so, ruling that their parents could face fines of up to 5,000 Swiss francs (about $5,000) if they don't.
- St. Landry board will not renew superintendent's contract Updated: May-25-16 7:35 am
OPELOUSAS, Louisiana - The St. Landry Parish School Board has voted not to renew Superintendent Edward Brown's contract.
- Future looks grim for school nurses at Ocean Springs Updated: May-25-16 6:39 am
OCEAN SPRINGS, Mississippi - Although a decision to not renew the contracts of Ocean Springs School District registered nurses isn't official, the superintendent has let the health care workers know there's a good possibility they won't be employed with the district next year.
- Hartwick College signs 8-year extension with its president Updated: May-25-16 12:16 am
ONEONTA, New York - Hartwick College has signed a new eight-year contract with its president.
- The Latest: Winner in Texas education runoff thanks rival Updated: May-24-16 11:31 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Latest on a Texas education board race (all times local):
- Maryland State Board of Education picks new superintendent Updated: May-24-16 4:47 pm
BALTIMORE - The Maryland State Board of Education unanimously selected veteran educator Karen Salmon on Tuesday to be the state's schools superintendent.