- Qatar bans contractors leaving country in rain-damage probe Updated: Nov-28-15 3:12 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Qatar has banned contractors from leaving the small, oil-rich country as it carries out a probe into how heavy rains damaged buildings and roadways.
- Sandra weakens to tropical storm in Pacific off Mexico Updated: Nov-28-15 1:48 am
MIAMI - Tropical Storm Sandra is weakening as it approaches Mexico's Pacific coast.
- Cold air mass brings freeze warnings to California Updated: Nov-27-15 4:19 pm
LOS ANGELES - A cold air mass over California prompted widespread freeze warnings and watches Friday, raising concerns for crops in the agricultural San Joaquin Valley and for homeless people in urban centers, even as skiers and snowboarders took advantage of snowy slopes.
- Power restored to all 10 days after Washington windstorm Updated: Nov-27-15 12:30 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Power has been restored to everyone in the Spokane, Washington, area who was left in the dark by a massive windstorm more than a week earlier.
- Rain in Milwaukee, Madison breaks Thanksgiving Day records Updated: Nov-27-15 12:12 pm
MILWAUKEE - The National Weather Service says Milwaukee and Madison's wet weather have set records for Thanksgiving Day rain.
- Arkansas a refuge from rising seas in Marshall Islands Updated: Nov-26-15 4:52 am
MAJURO ATOLL, Marshall Islands - Valentino Keimbar hides from the intense heat in the shade of a breadfruit tree, waiting for his basketball game to begin. It was supposed to start a couple of hours ago, maybe three, but time matters little here on the Marshall Islands.
- Tiny Marshall Islands face threats from global warming Updated: Nov-26-15 4:43 am
MAJURO, Marshall Islands - ATOLLS AT RISK
- Australian wildfire kills at least 2 and injures 13 others Updated: Nov-25-15 8:02 pm
ADELAIDE, Australia - Firefighters contained a large wildfire Thursday that had caused at least two deaths, 13 injuries and destroyed at least 16 homes near the southern Australian city of Adelaide, officials said.
- Travel not recommended along Kuskokwim because of thin ice Updated: Nov-25-15 7:41 pm
BETHEL, Alaska - Residents are being advised not to use the Kuskokwim River in western Alaska because of thinning ice.
- Heavy snow closes several highways in Fairbanks area Updated: Nov-25-15 7:24 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Heavy snow is creating difficult driving conditions in the Fairbanks area, with winter conditions closing several highways Wednesday.
- Holiday storm expected to bring heavy rain, ice to Oklahoma Updated: Nov-25-15 5:59 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Holiday travelers enjoyed mild weather and clear roads across Oklahoma on Wednesday, but forecasters predicted freezing rain and possible flooding across much of the state over the next few days with a storm and a cold front expected to push into the state on Thanksgiving Day.
- Snow could cause Thanksgiving travel problems in the West Updated: Nov-25-15 2:56 pm
DENVER - A storm left ice and snow on roads in Montana on Wednesday and could cause headaches for those traveling in Wyoming for Thanksgiving before it moves into Colorado.
- The Latest: 5,000 in Washington may lack power for holiday Updated: Nov-25-15 12:43 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - The latest on the deadly windstorm that swept across the Pacific Northwest (all times local):
- Sierra storm bringing snow, 60 mph winds, power outages Updated: Nov-24-15 8:38 pm
RENO, Nevada - A snowstorm packing 50 mph winds blew into Lake Tahoe and northern Nevada on Tuesday, slowing mountain travelers getting an early start on the holiday, kicking up dust storms along U.S. Interstate 80 east of Reno and briefly knocking out power to thousands along the Sierra's eastern front.
- El Nino expected to create drier, warmer Wyoming winter Updated: Nov-24-15 8:01 am
CASPER, Wyoming - Eager skiers and snowboarders and Wyoming may have to wait a year for an extra-thick blanket of powdery snow as El Nino is expected to bring a drier and warmer winter to the northwest.
- Sub-freezing temperatures expected in north, central Georgia Updated: Nov-22-15 3:42 pm
ATLANTA - Forecasters say sub-freezing temperatures are headed for most of north and central Georgia.
- Forecasters issue freeze warning throughout central Alabama Updated: Nov-22-15 3:22 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Forecasters have issued a freeze warning covering most of central Alabama.
- After the snow, Midwest gets deep freeze Updated: Nov-22-15 1:44 pm
A deep freeze set in across the Midwest on Sunday with low temperatures forecast in the single digits and a few below zero, turning the season's first major snow into ice that made some roads treacherous to travel.
- Heavy rain, floods in Albania kill 1 Updated: Nov-22-15 9:34 am
TIRANA, Albania - Albanian authorities say that heavy rainfall has killed one person and has flooded many areas, and blocked national roads, cut power and water supply in several places.
- South Dakota St has long, wintry journey to W Illinois Updated: Nov-21-15 1:37 pm
The first snow storm of the winter impacted football teams throughout the upper Midwest.
- Parts of California could see stormy Thanksgiving week Updated: Nov-20-15 8:56 am
HANFORD, California - Parts of California could be in for a snowy Thanksgiving week as a storm system currently in the Gulf of Alaska moves southeast.
- Great Lakes levels expected to stay mostly above average Updated: Nov-19-15 6:46 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Water levels in the Great Lakes should remain mostly above average over the next six months as a powerful El Nino gives the region a break after two bitterly cold winters, but it's unclear whether there will be longer-term effects, federal scientists said Thursday.
- Colorado unveils plan to manage water amid drought, demand Updated: Nov-19-15 1:36 pm
DENVER - The snow that falls on the Colorado mountains melts into trillions of gallons of water every year, and most of it flows downstream to Mexico, California and 17 other states. Colorado released its first-ever plan Thursday to cope with increasing competition for that water as the West grows drier.
- Forecasters suspect tornado struck metro Atlanta area Updated: Nov-18-15 6:40 pm
ATLANTA - The National Weather Service says a tornado has likely touched down in the metro Atlanta area.
- Tornadoes hit parts of Mississippi during overnight storms Updated: Nov-18-15 4:38 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - At least two tornadoes and heavy rainstorms in Mississippi destroyed a mobile home, partially tore a roof off a house, and left a truck driver injured after he drove into a downed tree, state officials said Wednesday.