- Daugaard proposes oversight overhaul after GEAR UP scandal Updated: Feb-05-16 5:07 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard is proposing an overhaul of oversight for state government entities and outside organizations that receive grants through the state after a murder-suicide last year involving two employees of a Platte-based educational cooperative.
- Minot hiring federal compliance officer for $74M flood grant Updated: Feb-05-16 12:14 pm
MINOT, North Dakota - The city of Minot is adding a federal compliance officer to ensure proper spending of a $74 million federal grant to help with flood resilience projects.
- Kansas City applies for federal transportation grant Updated: Feb-05-16 6:34 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas City has applied for a federal grant to help mid-sized cities test transportation innovations.
- Grant to help community organizations get federal funds Updated: Feb-04-16 4:10 am
BEREA, Kentucky - The Berea College Appalachian Fund has awarded a $10,000 grant to Kentucky Highland Investment Corporation to start an initiative designed to make grant writers seeking federal funds more successful.
- New Hampshire gets $1 million to conserve Great Bay property Updated: Feb-02-16 6:57 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire is getting a $1 million federal grant to conserve the more than 1,100-acre Great Bay Estuary-Harvey Forest and Wetlands property in Epping and Nottingham counties.
- Plans under way to fix falling wall protecting Waikiki Beach Updated: Jan-27-16 12:51 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii's most visited beach will wash away if the 89-year-old wall holding it together crumbles down.
- Editorials from around Pennsylvania Updated: Jan-27-16 10:17 am
Editorials from around Pennsylvania:
- Police, Salvation Army partner to fight human trafficking Updated: Jan-26-16 8:35 am
DETROIT - State police officials are working with the Salvation Army and other organizations to help fight human trafficking in the Detroit area.
- Itta Bena gets $200K grant to plan for revitalization Updated: Jan-25-16 5:49 pm
ITTA BENA, Mississippi - Itta Bena, a small Delta town near Greenwood, is getting a federal grant to help the town's efforts at revitalization.
- Arizona to install sensors on I-15 bridges in remote area Updated: Jan-25-16 4:17 am
PHOENIX - Arizona will use a federal grant to pay for installing sensors on four Interstate 15 bridges in a remote corner of the state.
- Iowa receives $97M grant for water quality, flood reduction Updated: Jan-22-16 3:32 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa has received a nearly $97 million federal grant to address the state's water quality and flood challenges, officials announced Friday.
- Iowa receives $97M grant for water quality, flood reduction Updated: Jan-22-16 7:11 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa has received a nearly $97 million federal grant to tackle the state's water quality and flood challenges.
- West Virginia denied $140m from feds to help coalfields Updated: Jan-22-16 2:48 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia has been denied $140 million in federal money to help the struggling southern coalfields.
- Wisconsin Senate passes Planned Parenthood funding cut Updated: Jan-20-16 11:24 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Republicans took another step Wednesday in their push to defund Planned Parenthood, with the state Senate passing two bills that would cost the organization millions of dollars every year.
- Mason City moves forward on downtown redevelopment plan Updated: Jan-20-16 12:50 pm
MASON CITY, Iowa - City Council members in Mason City have approved two measures advancing the city's $36 million plan to redevelop the downtown area.
- 5 Illinois schools to receive $20M in federal grants Updated: Jan-20-16 4:01 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Five Illinois schools will receive more than $20 million in federal grants over the next five years to help improve student performance and ensure students are better prepared for college.
- Obama administration seeks Pell grant expansion Updated: Jan-19-16 4:59 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration wants to expand the federal Pell grant program to help more students graduate from college - by providing them with money to attend classes year-round and reward them for taking more credits.
- Ohio rural fire departments awarded $175,000 in grants Updated: Jan-16-16 12:25 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State natural resources officials are awarding federal money to 22 fire departments and fire associations serving small communities across Ohio.
- Ex-Kauai lieutenant charged with theft, money laundering Updated: Jan-15-16 7:39 am
HONOLULU - A former lieutenant for the Kauai Police Department has been arrested on charges that she stole $75,000 in federal grant money from the department.
- Rutgers approves campus projects - if it gets state money Updated: Jan-14-16 5:31 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - Rutgers University's board has approved eight renovation projects across the school's three campuses if the school gets enough state grant money.
- Indianapolis agency gets grant to help inmates find jobs Updated: Jan-14-16 3:58 am
INDIANAPOLIS - An Indianapolis agency has won a $500,000 federal grant for a demonstration project to help inmates find jobs once they're released.
- Grant to help schools' recovery effort after Baltimore riots Updated: Jan-14-16 3:46 am
BALTIMORE - A federal grant will help ongoing recovery efforts for schools in Baltimore affected by last year's riots.
- Muscatine County accepts grant to study historic jail Updated: Jan-12-16 4:42 pm
MUSCATINE, Iowa - The Muscatine County Board of Supervisors has accepted a $15,000 grant from the State Historical Society of Iowa to study possible uses for the county's historic jail.
- Arizona, New Mexico tribes share in veterans housing funds Updated: Jan-12-16 9:34 am
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - Tribes in Arizona and New Mexico are sharing in more than $1.1 million in federal funding to help address homelessness among veterans.
- State awards $4.2 million in preservation grants Updated: Jan-11-16 4:02 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The state is awarding about $4.2 million in grants to preserve 45 museums, cultural art centers and public historic sites across Rhode Island.