- Milwaukee applies for $20M grant to extend streetcar Updated: Apr-30-16 4:56 pm
MILWAUKEE - The city of Milwaukee is applying for a $20 million federal grant to extend a planned streetcar north to the new Milwaukee Bucks arena.
- Muskegon steps up fight against blight with new demolitions Updated: Apr-28-16 8:25 am
MUSKEGON, Michigan - Officials in Muskegon are stepping up the fight against blight with more than a dozen demolitions planned over the coming weeks.
- $50 million sought for Blue Water Bridge plaza expansion Updated: Apr-28-16 5:26 am
PORT HURON, Michigan - The Michigan Department of Transportation is seeking about $50 million in federal grant money to fund the long-delayed expansion of the Blue Water Bridge plaza.
- House panel approves bipartisan drug-abuse legislation Updated: Apr-27-16 1:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Judiciary Committee took an election-year swipe Wednesday at the nation's growing drug addiction problem, approving federal grants that would bolster state and local efforts against the abuse of opioid painkillers.
- Campbell County's education project draws national attention Updated: Apr-27-16 2:06 am
GILLETTE, Wyoming - The video cameraman and sound man weaving their way through Jami Howe's fourth-grade classroom during a science project is clear evidence that Campbell County's work on teaching science is breaking boundaries.
- University of Kansas to study stress in Kansas City children Updated: Apr-26-16 11:04 am
LAWRENCE, Kansas - A $3.7 million federal grant will allow a University of Kansas researcher to study how stress affects young children in Kansas City.
- New Hampshire seeks applicants for trail grants Updated: Apr-26-16 7:10 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Non-profit organizations and other groups looking for help maintaining or restoring trails in New Hampshire can now apply for state grant funding.
- Boston Public Schools nets grant to support trauma victims Updated: Apr-26-16 6:45 am
BOSTON - Boston Public Schools has been awarded a $1.6 million federal grant through a partnership with the Massachusetts Office of Victim Assistance to support students affected by trauma.
- UTA receives $5.4 million grant for electric buses Updated: Apr-23-16 4:09 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah Transit Authority has been awarded a $5.4 million federal grant to fund the purchase all-electric buses.
- Bid to restart Colorado ski resort train service gets boost Updated: Apr-21-16 9:52 pm
DENVER - A campaign to revive train service from Denver to a ski resort is getting a boost via a $1.5 million state grant.
- US Education officials stand by grant cuts to Jewish college Updated: Apr-20-16 3:07 pm
WEST BLOOMFIELD, Michigan - Federal officials have affirmed a ruling that cut Pell grants to a Jewish college in suburban Detroit after finding that almost 2,000 students lived full-time in Israel and weren't taking classes through the school.
- Asheville airport gets $10.M grant for runway, equipment Updated: Apr-20-16 6:57 am
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Asheville Regional Airport has received another federal grant to help pay for an ongoing project to replace its runway and to buy a new fire and rescue vehicle.
- State grant seeks to develop nanomanufacturing facilities Updated: Apr-19-16 4:34 pm
BURLINGTON, Massachusetts - Northeastern University is receiving a $3 million grant from a state agency to support research into cutting-edge manufacturing on the tiniest of scales.
- Big Dig Lite? Rhode Island plans to cap Providence highway Updated: Apr-19-16 2:58 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Just don't call it a tunnel.
- $900k in state grants awarded to 16 wood pellet projects Updated: Apr-19-16 12:10 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Some Vermont schools and housing groups have received a total of more than $900,000 in state grant money to develop cleaner, renewable biomass heat.
- Yuma seeks grant to buy body cameras for police officers Updated: Apr-19-16 5:37 am
YUMA, Arizona - The Yuma Police Department is seeking a federal grant to pay for body cameras for its patrol officers.
- US grant of $20 million will study Lake Champlain resiliency Updated: Apr-18-16 2:51 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Scientists from a number of Vermont colleges and universities will be using a $20 million federal grant to study what makes some sections of the Lake Champlain watershed bounce back faster than others after extreme weather, officials announced Monday.
- Omaha-based medical school gets grant for science literacy Updated: Apr-16-16 6:15 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The University of Nebraska Medical School in Omaha has received a renewal of a $1.25 million national grant to help strengthening the math and science curriculum among Native American youth in Nebraska and South Dakota.
- Risky change in teaching pays off at Bellevue high school Updated: Apr-16-16 3:05 am
SEATTLE - About six years ago, Sammamish High School teachers decided to take a risky departure from how they had been teaching - providing fewer lectures and more opportunities for students to work together applying what they were learning to real-world problems.
- Marrero woman sentenced to year in home elevation grant scam Updated: Apr-15-16 4:04 am
NEW ORLEANS - A Marrero woman has been sentenced in federal court to a year in prison for taking federal grant money to elevate her house - but using the money for personal expenses.
- Delaware Ag Department to offer $300K in grants to farmers Updated: Apr-14-16 10:02 am
DOVER, Delaware - The Delaware Department of Agriculture will award more than $300,000 in federal grant funds to farmers who produce and market specialty crops in the state.
- Five Maine airports to split $1.7M in federal grant money Updated: Apr-14-16 7:23 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Five airports in Maine will split $1.7 million in federal grant money earmarked for the improvement of operations at each.
- Congressman says DC subway system won't get federal bailout Updated: Apr-13-16 4:59 pm
WASHINGTON - The Washington area's struggling subway system won't get a federal bailout, House Republicans said Thursday as they blamed the Metro system's recent series of crises on poor management rather than a lack of funding.
- House GOP: Schools, rural Minnesota need broadband most Updated: Apr-13-16 4:54 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - House Republicans say funding Wi-Fi hotspots for students and leveraging federal grants for broadband Internet development are the best ways to reach underserved communities in Minnesota, but Democrats argue the plan doesn't go far enough.
- State grant to help pay for roads around physics facility Updated: Apr-13-16 2:29 pm
EAST LANSING, Michigan - State officials have awarded a $3 million grant for road projects to support the operation of a nuclear science facility being built at Michigan State University.