- Arizona awarded $24 million to boost charter schools Updated: Oct-08-15 8:56 am
PHOENIX - The Arizona Department of Education will use a federal grant to support new and expanding charter schools.
- Ohio lawmakers OK bill overhauling charter school oversight Updated: Oct-07-15 5:28 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - After years of emotional public debate, Ohio lawmakers passed an overhaul of the embattled charter-school system with new performance, accountability and reporting requirements, which supporters say should assure federal officials that millions of dollars in charter funding headed to the state will be wisely spent.
- State grant funds environmental cleanup of Winslow motel Updated: Oct-07-15 6:15 am
WINSLOW, Arizona - A state grant will pay for removal of asbestos and lead-based paint from a vacant hotel in downtown Winslow.
- Hawaii receives grant to study false killer whales Updated: Oct-05-15 8:13 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Researchers in Hawaii have received nearly $1.2 million in federal grant funding to study the elusive false killer whale.
- US attorney appears to focus on political favors in New York Updated: Oct-03-15 11:09 am
ALBANY, New York - With a widening probe of New York state government, U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara appears to be taking aim at the nebulous relationship between money and politics itself - a long and murky association in Albany and in capitals across the nation.
- Billings treatment center receives grant for inmate program Updated: Oct-03-15 5:08 am
BILLINGS, Montana - A Billings addiction treatment center has received a multi-year federal grant to help fund treatment and transitional living for recently released inmates.
- Dwight fire chief hopes to double on-call firefighting crew Updated: Oct-02-15 4:05 am
DWIGHT, Illinois - The fire protection district in Dwight has been awarded a federal grant that will allow its firefighting staff to double within four years.
- Report: Bus subsidies raise conflict-of-interest questions Updated: Sep-30-15 2:08 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Two bus companies owned by Transportation Commissioner Charles Zelle received nearly all of the state subsidies paid in the first year of a program for rural bus service, according to a report published Wednesday.
- Indiana University gets grant to improve health care Updated: Sep-30-15 3:53 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana University School of Medicine is getting a federal grant worth up to $46.4 million in an effort to help physicians reduce costs and improve patient care.
- Southwestern Michigan Innocence Project gets federal grant Updated: Sep-29-15 4:02 am
KALAMAZOO, Michigan - A federal grant is helping to boost the efforts of a southwestern Michigan legal clinic that works to exonerate people convicted of serious crimes.
- Essex County Prosecutor's Office, state get federal grants Updated: Sep-28-15 12:27 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The Essex County Prosecutor's Office and New Jersey's Law and Public Safety Department will be getting hundreds of thousands in federal grants to help combat gang activity.
- New Mexico gets federal grant to target methamphetamine Updated: Sep-28-15 12:16 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The New Mexico Department of Public Safety is getting a $561,000 federal grant to combat methamphetamine trafficking and related violence.
- $1.4M grant to help state police fight heroin trafficking Updated: Sep-28-15 11:02 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A $1.4 million federal grant is going to the Vermont State Police for additional troopers dedicated to fighting heroin and opioid trafficking.
- No state grant means scaled-back park project in Des Plaines Updated: Sep-25-15 9:59 am
DES PLAINES, Illinois - Scaled back plans are going forward for a suburban Chicago park after a state grant meant for the project was suspended.
- Federal grant will help Eugene police get body cameras Updated: Sep-24-15 4:01 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Eugene police are closer to buying about 170 body cameras thanks to a $249,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Virginia receives US grant to reduce energy consumption Updated: Sep-24-15 2:55 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe says the state has received a $300,000 federal grant to help implement his administration's energy goals.
- Hobbs, facing officer shortage, gets federal grant for help Updated: Sep-23-15 12:14 pm
HOBBS, New Mexico - A booming southeastern New Mexico city facing a police officer shortage is getting some help from the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Chicago, suburban police receive $1.3M grant for cameras Updated: Sep-23-15 4:05 am
CHICAGO - Chicago and two suburban police departments are receiving a combined $1.3 million in federal grants to buy body cameras for officers.
- Fort Wayne, West Lafayette police get body camera grants Updated: Sep-22-15 1:05 pm
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - The Fort Wayne and West Lafayette police departments are receiving federal grants to purchase body cameras for officers.
- Federal money will pay for more officers in Missouri Updated: Sep-22-15 11:44 am
ST. LOUIS - Four Missouri cities will receive federal grants to help hire more police officers.
- 4 NY localities get federal grants for police body cameras Updated: Sep-22-15 6:30 am
ROCHESTER, New York - The city of Rochester has been awarded a $600,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Justice to purchase body cameras for its police department.
- Vermont gets $3.2m to protect children from lead poisoning Updated: Sep-22-15 4:20 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont Housing and Conservation Board is getting a $3.2 million federal grant to continue efforts to protect children from lead poisoning.
- US announces $19M in grants to expand use of body cameras Updated: Sep-21-15 7:36 pm
The Department of Justice awarded $19.3 million in grants Monday to dozens of police departments seeking to start using body cameras but turned down a greater number of applicants hoping for federal aid to deploy the technology.
- Federal grants for police body cameras in Kansas Updated: Sep-21-15 5:07 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - The federal government has awarded grants for law enforcement body cameras to Wichita, Dodge City and Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas.
- Federal grant will help improve hunting access in Nebraska Updated: Sep-20-15 5:01 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska is getting a $1.35 million federal grant to help expand hunters' access to private land in the state.