- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 5:03 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Islamic militants hit hotel in Egypt's Sinai, killing 7 Updated: Nov-24-15 3:00 pm
CAIRO - A brazen militant attack involving a suicide car bombing and claimed by the Islamic State group targeted a hotel in Egypt's restive northern Sinai region on Tuesday, killing seven people, including two judges, the state MENA news agency said.
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to defeat Islamic State Updated: Nov-23-15 11:07 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - The United States is seeking new military, counterterrorism and diplomatic ideas to destroy the Islamic State group faster, Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday, acknowledging the difficulty in eliminating extremists who've exploited four years of chaos in the Middle East to become a global threat. He said greater military cooperation with Russia was possible under the right circumstances.
- Spain: Police arrest inmate for recruiting Islamic militants Updated: Nov-23-15 10:29 am
MADRID - Spanish police have arrested an inmate on suspicion he recruited militants for the Islamic State armed group inside the facility.
- In Kenyan town, Christians worship under police guard Updated: Nov-23-15 10:28 am
GARISSA, Kenya - As song and prayer drifted from the open, ivy-lined doorways of a Catholic church in Garissa, several security officials, including Muslims, stood watch on the grounds nearby.
- Philippines welcomes convictions of 3 abductors of Americans Updated: Nov-23-15 8:46 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine police and military officials said Monday they were pressing on with a manhunt for about 30 kidnapping suspects after three Muslim militants were convicted of the 2011 abductions of an American woman, her teenage son and a Filipino relative vacationing in the country's south.
- In Africa, Pope Francis to find a church growing in numbers Updated: Nov-23-15 6:19 am
JOHANNESBURG - Pope Paul VI became the first modern pope to visit Africa in 1969 and declared the continent a "new homeland" for Jesus Christ. During the quarter century of his papacy, St. John Paul II traveled to 42 African countries and earned the nickname "the African." Pope Benedict XVI said Africa was a continent of hope. Next week, Pope Francis joins his predecessors and visits a region whose growing numbers of Catholics are seen as a bulwark for a church seeking to broaden its appeal in the face of challenges from secularism, competing Christian faiths and violent extremism.
- Russia: 11 allied with IS group killed in North Caucasus Updated: Nov-22-15 10:19 am
MOSCOW - Russian law enforcement officers on Sunday raided a hideout in the North Caucasus of armed militants allied with the Islamic State group, killing all 11 of them in an exchange of fire, the counter-terrorism agency said.
- Airstrikes hurt, but don't halt, IS oil smuggling operations Updated: Nov-20-15 2:09 pm
BEIRUT - The United States and Russia are going after the Islamic State group's oil industry, destroying refineries and hundreds of tanker trucks transporting oil from eastern Syria in a heavy bombardment in recent days aiming to break the extremists' biggest source of income.
- Bipartisan push in Senate for war powers after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-19-15 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The Paris attacks have given new impetus to a bipartisan push to approve new war powers to fight Islamic State militants, with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday joining Republican and Democratic lawmakers in calling for what would be the first war vote in Congress in 13 years.
- Lawyers: Man charged in Benghazi attacks should be sent home Updated: Nov-19-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Lawyers for a suspected Libyan militant charged in 2012 attacks that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans urged a judge Thursday to send him home as a sanction for what they called their client's illegal capture and interrogation.
- Migrants fear Paris attacks have multiplied their woes Updated: Nov-19-15 1:12 pm
PRESEVO, Serbia - At the tender age of 16, Ahmad Fawad has three fears: He fears the Taliban gunmen who killed his family members in Afghanistan. He fears that once-welcoming European countries are shutting the doors after the carnage in Paris. And he fears that the very extremists who attacked his family at home are moving alongside him in the flow of humanity bound for Europe.
- Officials: IS determined to produce chemical weapons Updated: Nov-19-15 11:54 am
BAGHDAD - The Islamic State group is aggressively pursuing development of chemical weapons, setting up a branch dedicated to research and experiments with the help of scientists from Iraq, Syria and elsewhere in the region, according to Iraqi and U.S. intelligence officials.
- Al-Shabab video shows killings of African Union troops Updated: Nov-10-15 10:41 am
- Egypt police say they've killed senior IS militant in Cairo Updated: Nov-09-15 11:05 am
CAIRO - Egyptian police have killed a top commander of a local Islamic State affiliate in a Cairo raid, the Interior Ministry said Monday.
- IS bomb on Russia plane would herald new phase in conflict Updated: Nov-05-15 5:12 pm
BEIRUT - At this stage, there is no hard evidence. But reports from the U.S. and Britain suggesting an Islamic State group bomb may have caused the Russian plane crash in Egypt are raising the alarm among experts, who say such an act would be a frightening change in tactics by the extremist group.
- Russian strikes take toll among Syrian civilians Updated: Nov-03-15 6:59 pm
KADIRLI, Turkey - The 4-year-old Syrian girl was ending her first trip to her grandparents' house. Posing for the last family photos before returning to Turkey with her mother, Raghad dressed up in a pretty blue-and-white polka dot dress and put her hair up in ponytails with red barrettes.
- UK lawmakers wary of government plan for Syria airstrikes Updated: Nov-03-15 12:05 pm
LONDON - The British government insisted Tuesday that it is still considering airstrikes against Islamic State group targets in Syria, even though an influential group of lawmakers said the military action would be "incoherent" and ineffective without a plan to end the country's civil war.
- Somali extremists kill 15 government soldiers in ambush Updated: Nov-02-15 3:14 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - At least 15 government soldiers were killed in an ambush by fighters from the Somali Islamic extremist rebel group al-Shabab, one day after the same group of extremists killed a dozen people in an attack in the capital, a military official said Monday.
- Somalia: 5 Islamic militants attack hotel in capital, kill 6 Updated: Nov-01-15 6:59 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Five of Somalia's Islamic extremists attacked a leading hotel in the capital at dawn Sunday, killing at least six people and injuring 10, before all the assailants were killed by security forces.
- Chadian army: 3 dead, 14 wounded in Boko Haram attacks Updated: Nov-01-15 10:39 am
N'DJAMENA, Chad - The Chadian military says at least three soldiers are dead and 14 others have been wounded in a series of attacks blamed on Islamic militants.
- Bangladesh police probe local radicals in latest attacks Updated: Nov-01-15 7:14 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police in Bangladesh said Sunday that they were investigating the possibility a local radical Islamic group was behind two attacks on publishing houses in the capital this weekend that left a publisher of secular books dead and another critically wounded.
- S. Korean seized by extremists found dead in Philippines Updated: Nov-01-15 3:50 am
MANILA, Philippines - An elderly South Korean man who was kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf militants in the southern Philippines 10 months ago has been found dead apparently due to an illness, police and military officials said Sunday.
- Officials search for cause of plane crash over Egypt's Sinai Updated: Oct-31-15 10:15 pm
SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt - A Russian passenger airliner crashed Saturday in a remote mountainous part of Egypt's Sinai Peninsula 23 minutes after taking off from a popular Red Sea resort, killing all 224 people on board, including 25 children.
- Nigeria issues poster of 100 wanted Boko Haram militants Updated: Oct-31-15 12:59 pm
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - Nigeria's army is posting a photographic collage of 100 wanted Boko Haram militants that features the shadowy leader whom they claim to have killed on at least three occasions.