- Gunmen kill 3 paramilitary forces in northwest Pakistan Updated: May-25-16 1:10 am
PESHAWAR, Pakistan - A senior police officer says gunmen riding on motorcycles have ambushed a vehicle carrying paramilitary forces in northwest Pakistan, killing three of them before fleeing.
- Indian police say they've killed key Kashmiri rebel leader Updated: May-24-16 11:16 am
SRINAGAR, India - Indian police said Tuesday that they have killed the operations head of a major militant group in the Indian portion of Kashmir in a gunbattle.
- Tony Blair says defeating IS requires 'proper ground war' Updated: May-24-16 9:02 am
LONDON - The Islamic State group will be defeated only with a ground war involving Western troops, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair said Tuesday.
- Iraq says clashes with IS outside Fallujah briefly subside Updated: May-24-16 7:36 am
BAGHDAD - Clashes between Iraqi government forces and the Islamic State group outside the city of Fallujah briefly subsided on Tuesday, the second day of a large-scale military operation to drive militants out of their key stronghold west of Baghdad.
- IS attacks undermine Iraqi state in war weary capital Updated: May-24-16 3:16 am
BAGHDAD - Even as Iraq slowly claws back territory from the Islamic State group, faith in the government is crumbling among many, particularly the country's Shiites, angered by political disarray and the continual pounding of the capital, Baghdad, by militants' bombings.
- The Latest: UN says 50,000 civilians in Fallujah at risk Updated: May-23-16 3:03 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on a violent day in the Middle East, with deadly bombings in Syria and Yemen and the start of an Iraqi government offensive to retake the city of Fallujah from the Islamic State group (all times local):
- US military trains eclectic group of anti-IS fighters Updated: May-23-16 2:29 pm
NORTHERN SYRIA - Barcham Zana knows her enemy. It is the Islamic State, which she calls "darkness."
- Suspected rebels kill 3 policemen in Indian Kashmir Updated: May-23-16 6:00 am
SRINAGAR, India - Suspected rebels fired at police officers at two places in the main city of the Indian portion of Kashmir on Monday, killing three of them, police said.
- Iraq launches operation to retake IS-held city of Fallujah Updated: May-22-16 8:04 pm
BAGHDAD - Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced the beginning of military operations to retake the Islamic State-held held city of Fallujah, west of Baghdad, in a televised address on Sunday night.
- The Latest: Pakistan informed of drone hit on Taliban leader Updated: May-22-16 1:16 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Latest on the killing of Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Akhtar Mansour in a drone strike (all times local):
- Crowds mourn at funeral of 2 killed at Baghdad protest Updated: May-21-16 10:44 pm
BAGHDAD - Hundreds of mourners gathered in Baghdad's Sadr City as families held funerals Saturday for two people killed in protests a day earlier. The coffins for the two men were hoisted above the crowds before being driven to the holy city of Najaf for burial.
- UN Security Council visits Kenya to discuss Somalia Updated: May-20-16 1:19 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Members of the United Nations Security Council are urging Kenya's government not to forcibly evict refugees from a sprawling camp that is home to hundreds of thousands of Somalis.
- IS suspect blows himself up during police raid in Turkey Updated: May-19-16 4:46 pm
ISTANBUL - A Turkish official says a suspected Islamic State militant blew himself up during a police raid in the southeastern city of Gaziantep.
- Islamic State suicide bombings kill 32 Libyan militiamen Updated: May-19-16 11:27 am
BENGHAZI, Libya - A spokesman of a Libyan militia says two suicide bombings by the Islamic State group have killed 32 of the militia's fighters.
- US commander: Islamic State trying to regain initiative Updated: May-18-16 2:53 pm
KUWAIT CITY - Deadly bombings in Baghdad may signal a shift in tactics by the Islamic State, determined to rebound from a series of battlefield losses and the group's hope that attacks in the capital will distract already divided Iraqi leaders, a top U.S. general said Wednesday.
- Mourning in Sadr City, Baghdad's deadliest district Updated: May-18-16 2:08 pm
BAGHDAD - Among the dozens killed when a truck bomb struck a crowded market last week in Baghdad's Sadr City were two brothers, the only sons of Talib Jassum Issa, who got the news in a phone call just minutes after the attack.
- Nigerian oil output, naira fall amid attacks, strike threats Updated: May-17-16 3:24 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Militant attacks on oil installations and the threat of a nationwide strike drove Nigeria's petroleum production and its naira currency to new lows Tuesday.
- 4 suspects arrested in Bangladesh professor's killing Updated: May-17-16 10:37 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police have arrested four members of a banned militant group, including a regional commander, suspected in the killing last month of a university professor in northwestern Bangladesh, officials said Tuesday.
- The Latest: Officials say day's death toll in Baghdad now 69 Updated: May-17-16 9:18 am
BAGHDAD - The latest on a wave of militants attacks in Iraq as government forces battle the Islamic State group (all times local):
- US, other powers want to arm Libyan government Updated: May-16-16 7:19 pm
VIENNA - In a move fraught with risk, the United States and other world powers said Monday they would supply Libya's internationally recognized government with weapons to counter the Islamic State and other militant groups gaining footholds in the chaos-wracked country's lawless regions.
- FARC, Colombia agree on moving children out of rebel camps Updated: May-15-16 8:21 pm
HAVANA - Colombia's government and the rebel Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia say they have agreed on the return of a handful of children living in the group's camps to civilian life.
- Bangladesh police arrest suspect in killing of gay activist Updated: May-15-16 6:24 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police in Bangladesh said Sunday that they have arrested a suspected Muslim militant for his alleged involvement in the killing last month of a gay rights activist and his friend in the capital.
- AP Exclusive: Peace deal expected with armed Afghan group Updated: May-14-16 2:04 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan is expected to finalize a peace deal with a notorious militant group in the coming days, in what could be a template for ending the 15-year war with the Taliban, a government official and a representative of the militant group said Saturday.
- Russia: 2 police killed, 14 wounded in clash with militants Updated: May-14-16 1:36 pm
MAKHACHKALA, Russia - Police in Russia's Dagestan region say two officers have been killed and 14 wounded during clashes with militants holed up in an apartment.
- UN envoy warns that Hezbollah expansion can threaten Lebanon Updated: May-13-16 9:09 pm