- US, Turkey plan for 'safe zone' free of IS in northern Syria Updated: Jul-27-15 5:54 pm
BEIRUT - Turkey and the United States have agreed on the outlines of a plan to rout the Islamic State group from a strip of Syrian territory along the Turkish border - a plan that opens the possibility of a safe haven for tens of thousands of displaced Syrians but one that also sets up a potential conflict with U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish forces in the area.
- Somalia hotel truck bomb toll rises to 15 Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - The massive truck bomb that killed 15 people, including a Kenyan diplomat, and wrecked Somalia's premier hotel has stunned the capital and raised fears Monday that the Islamic extremist al-Shabab rebels are escalating their violence.
- The Latest: Obama says South Sudan needs urgent attention Updated: Jul-27-15 7:43 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Ethiopia (all times local):
- Officials: Roadside bomb wounds 18 Egypt police conscripts Updated: Jul-26-15 9:34 am
CAIRO - A roadside bombing in Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula wounded 18 police conscripts Sunday, security officials said.
- Colombia suspends raids on FARC camps following rebel truce Updated: Jul-25-15 10:43 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's government is suspending aerial bombings of guerrilla camps in a bid to de-escalate fighting and breathe new life into struggling peace talks.
- Q&A: Kurds fight Islamic State and endure attacks Updated: Jul-25-15 6:28 pm
BAGHDAD - Turkish jets struck camps belonging to Kurdish militants in northern Iraq Friday and Saturday in what were the first strikes since a peace deal was announced in 2013.
- In shift, Turkish jets strike Islamic State targets in Syria Updated: Jul-24-15 2:52 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In a major tactical shift, Turkish warplanes struck Islamic State group targets across the border in Syria on Friday, a day after IS militants fired at a Turkish military outpost. A Syrian rights group said the airstrikes killed nine IS fighters.
- Tunisian police kill 1 militant, arrest 16 others in north Updated: Jul-24-15 12:18 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - Tunisian authorities carried out a series of anti-militant raids in the northern province of Bizerte, killing one militant and arresting 16 people, authorities said Friday.
- Kenyan security on high alert ahead of Obama visit Updated: Jul-24-15 9:10 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A massive security operation is in place to protect President Barack Obama during his visit to Kenya, which has been frequently targeted by al-Shabab militants based in neighboring Somalia.
- Turkey allows US to use key air base to strike Islamic State Updated: Jul-24-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Turkey has agreed to let the U.S. military launch airstrikes against the Islamic State from a key air base near the Syrian border, senior U.S. officials said Thursday, giving a boost to the U.S.-led coalition while drawing Turkey deeper into the conflict.
- IS militants kill Turkish soldier near Syria border Updated: Jul-23-15 3:53 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Islamic State militants fired at a Turkish military outpost from Syrian territory on Thursday, killing one Turkish soldier and wounding two others, Turkish officials said. Turkish troops retaliated, killing at least one IS militant.
- AU, Somali troops drive al-Shabab out of major base Updated: Jul-22-15 1:50 pm
- US kills senior Khorasan Group leader Updated: Jul-21-15 5:39 pm
WASHINGTON - A U.S. airstrike in Syria has killed a key figure in a dangerous al-Qaida offshoot, the Pentagon said Tuesday.
- Nigerian leader: Forces ready soon to take on Boko Haram Updated: Jul-21-15 2:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said Tuesday a multinational African force will be in place within 10 days to take the fight to the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram that has killed thousands and was behind the abduction of hundreds of schoolgirls.
- Bombing shows Turkey a vulnerable target for Islamic State Updated: Jul-21-15 2:09 pm
ISTANBUL - Officials have raised concerns that a deadly bombing in southeastern Turkey is part of a campaign of retaliation by the Islamic State group for a recent crackdown on its operations in the country.
- In an IS training camp, children told: Behead the doll Updated: Jul-19-15 9:31 pm
SANLIURFA, Turkey - The children had all been shown videos of beheadings and told by their trainers with the Islamic State group that they would perform one someday. First, they had to practice technique. The more than 120 boys were each given a doll and a sword and told, cut off its head.
- Uganda sending combat helicopters to Somalia battle Updated: Jul-19-15 11:40 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda will send attack and transport helicopters to bolster its forces fighting the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab insurgency in Somalia, an army spokesman said Sunday.
- Algerian army confirms 9 soldiers killed in militant ambush Updated: Jul-19-15 9:04 am
ALGIERS, Algeria - Algeria's Defense Ministry has confirmed the deaths of nine soldiers in a militant ambush - a statement that came after reports of higher casualties in the attack.
- Shoppers return to Kenyan mall 2 years after attack Updated: Jul-18-15 10:50 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Hundreds of shoppers Saturday thronged through the re-opened Westgate Shopping Mall in Kenya's capital, Nairobi nearly two years after an extremist attack there left at least 67 people dead.
- Israeli-Canadian woman fought IS to stop 'genocide' Updated: Jul-16-15 1:24 pm
JERUSALEM - A Canadian-born Israeli woman who joined a Kurdish militia to fight against the Islamic State group said that after a stint in prison, she felt compelled to do something positive with her life and battle against the "genocide" unfolding in Syria and Iraq.
- Somali militant leader said to be targeted in US airstrike Updated: Jul-16-15 8:40 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A senior commander with the Islamic extremist group al-Shabab has been killed in a U.S. drone strike in southwestern Somalia, a Somali official and a militant commander said Thursday.
- Watchdog: Syria's Kurdish militia still using child soldiers Updated: Jul-15-15 8:16 am
BEIRUT - A leading international rights group on Wednesday accused Syria's main Kurdish militia of continued violations of the ban on child soldiers, despite some progress to stop using boys and girls under the age of 18 in fighting.
- Nairobi mall to re-open 2 years after extremist attack Updated: Jul-14-15 2:28 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Nairobi's Westgate Mall is to re-open Saturday, nearly two years after it was attacked by Somalia's Islamic extremist rebels who killed at least 67 people, Kenyan officials said Tuesday.
- Israeli woman who joined Kurdish militia returns to Israel Updated: Jul-13-15 4:59 am
JERUSALEM - A Canadian-born woman who served in the Israeli military and later joined a Kurdish militia fighting the Islamic State group has returned to Israel.
- Colombia, rebels agree to strive for full cease-fire Updated: Jul-12-15 10:47 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's government and leftist rebels have agreed to accelerate peace negotiations and will attempt to negotiate a cease-fire even before reaching an agreement to bring an end to the South American nation's five-decade-old conflict.