- Israeli military says top mission is countering Gaza tunnels Updated: Feb-09-16 10:57 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's top general said Tuesday that the military's number one mission for the coming year is to counter the renewed threat posed by militant attack tunnels from Gaza.
- Intelligence chief: North Korea restarts plutonium reactor Updated: Feb-09-16 10:31 am
WASHINGTON - North Korea has expanded a uranium enrichment facility and restarted a plutonium reactor that could start recovering material for nuclear weapons in weeks or months, the U.S. intelligence chief said Tuesday in delivering the annual assessment by intelligence agencies of the top dangers facing the country.
- Indonesia sentences 7 for IS links, as Bashir files appeal Updated: Feb-09-16 8:09 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - An Indonesian court on Tuesday sentenced seven men for conspiring with the Islamic State group, the first time the country has sent anyone to prison for IS links, as radical cleric Abu Bakar Bashir appealed his conviction.
- Saudi offer to send troops to Syria comes with uncertainty Updated: Feb-08-16 3:22 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabia's offer to send troops to fight Islamic State in Syria is as much about the kingdom's growing determination to flex its military might as it is about answering U.S. calls for more help from its allies in the Middle East.
- Militants shoot down Libyan fighter jet Updated: Feb-08-16 2:10 pm
BENGHAZI, Libya - Libya's air force chief of staff says a fighter jet was shot down while carrying out airstrikes against Islamic militants.
- Displaced by fighting, Kurdish residents call for peace Updated: Feb-08-16 1:20 pm
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - Azize Calis is pleading for peace.
- Al-Qaida militants battle each other in southern Yemen Updated: Feb-08-16 9:40 am
SANAA, Yemen - Al-Qaida militants battled each other on Monday in a southern Yemeni city controlled by the group, in what appeared to be an internal power struggle that erupted after a senior militant was killed in a U.S. drone strike.
- American says he visited Mumbai 7 times before 2008 attack Updated: Feb-08-16 4:32 am
NEW DELHI - A Pakistani-American who helped plan a 2008 attack on India's financial hub told a court Monday that he traveled to India seven times to scout potential targets for a Pakistan-based militant group.
- UAE says it's prepared to send ground forces to Syria Updated: Feb-07-16 7:27 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - A top official in the United Arab Emirates said Sunday that his country is prepared to send ground troops to Syria to fight Islamic State militants as part of an international coalition.
- Man accused of IS-inspired plot to attack Detroit church Updated: Feb-06-16 4:19 pm
DETROIT - Authorities have arrested a 21-year-old Michigan man whom they accuse of supporting Islamic State militants and plotting to attack a Detroit church.
- Somali officials: Suicide bomber may have blown hole in jet Updated: Feb-06-16 3:49 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A suicide bomber is suspected to have set off the explosive that blew a hole in a jetliner, sucked the man out of the plane and forced the aircraft to make an emergency landing on Tuesday in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, Somali officials said Saturday.
- AU and Somali troops retake Somali town from militants Updated: Feb-06-16 3:15 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A Somali military official says allied African Union and Somali troops have retaken the town Marka one day after Islamic extremist fighters took control of the center following the withdrawal of African Union forces.
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to flee fighting Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
BEIRUT - Thousands of Syrians rushed toward the Turkish border Friday, fleeing a fierce government offensive and intense Russian airstrikes near Syria's largest city of Aleppo.
- The Latest: Kerry says Russia, Assad not complying with UN Updated: Feb-05-16 4:22 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria (all times Syria local):
- Peace deal in reach, Obama says US to help Colombia rebuild Updated: Feb-04-16 10:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Nudging Colombia toward a peace deal that's finally within reach, President Barack Obama committed the United States on Thursday to helping the battle-scarred nation rebuild after half a century of guerrilla conflict.
- Analysis: Pause in Syrian talks shows peace remains elusive Updated: Feb-04-16 2:05 pm
BEIRUT - It was hardly unexpected that the Syrian peace talks in Geneva would break off in recrimination.
- Russian, Filipino seamen held hostage in Nigeria - expert Updated: Feb-04-16 5:30 am
LAGOS, Nigeria - The crew of an oil tanker hijacked in Nigerian waters is from Russia, Georgia and the Philippines and is probably being held hostage for ransom, a shipping security expert said Thursday.
- Benin Navy guarding Greek tanker, hostages held in Nigeria Updated: Feb-03-16 5:35 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - The navy of Benin is guarding an oil tanker hijacked by militants who are holding five crew members hostage in Nigeria, Nigeria's navy and a shipping security expert said Wednesday.
- China reduces sentences for 11 Uighurs, including Canadian Updated: Feb-03-16 3:52 am
BEIJING - A court in western China has reduced the sentences of 11 Uighurs convicted of terrorism and endangering state security, including a naturalized Canadian preacher whose life term had been sharply criticized by Ottawa.
- Turkey detain leftist militants suspected of planning attack Updated: Feb-02-16 11:21 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish police say they have detained two members of a banned far-left group who were allegedly planning to carry out attacks in the country.
- UN rights chief: Turkey must probe shooting of civilians Updated: Feb-01-16 12:33 pm
GENEVA - The U.N. human rights chief called on Turkey on Monday to investigate the alleged shooting of unarmed people in southeastern Turkey that turned up in "extremely shocking" footage posted online last week.
- Violence in Afghanistan forces Obama to rethink troop levels Updated: Feb-01-16 8:09 am
WASHINGTON - Fifteen years into the war that few Americans talk about any more, conditions in Afghanistan are getting worse, preventing the clean ending that President Barack Obama hoped to impose before leaving office. Violence is on the rise, the Taliban are staging new offensives, the Islamic State group is angling for a foothold and peace prospects are dim.
- UN: Somali Cabinet has agreed on model for elections in 2016 Updated: Jan-28-16 11:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Somalia said the Cabinet agreed Thursday on a model for elections later this year, calling the long-awaited decision "an important milestone" for the impoverished Horn of Africa nation grappling with Islamic extremist insurgents.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Jan-27-16 6:00 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad: