- Islamic State fighters attack northeastern Syrian city Updated: Jun-03-15 9:34 am
BEIRUT - Militants from the Islamic State group launched a major attack on the predominantly Kurdish city of Hassakeh, activists and Syrian state media said Wednesday, in an apparent attempt by the extremist group to reverse some of the advances made recently by Kurdish fighters in the northeastern province.
- Officials: US, Pakistani strikes kill 14 militants Updated: Jun-01-15 3:11 pm
ISLAMABAD - Pakistani intelligence officials say a U.S. drone strike killed four militants and Pakistani airstrikes killed another 10 in the North Waziristan tribal area bordering Afghanistan.
- Suicide bombing in Libya's west claimed by IS kills 5 Updated: May-31-15 2:45 pm
BENGHAZI, Libya - A suicide car bomber from an Islamic State affiliate struck Sunday at an entrance to Libya's western coastal city of Misrata, killing five people and wounding seven, a local militia spokesman said. Twitter accounts of IS supporters posted a claim of responsibility.
- Death toll from Baghdad hotel bombings rises to 15 Updated: May-29-15 10:40 am
BAGHDAD - The death toll from car bombs that targeted two prominent hotels in Baghdad a day earlier rose to 15 people, with another 42 wounded, Iraqi officials said Friday, as the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Civilians biggest losers on Afghan war's new northern front Updated: May-29-15 2:58 am
KUNDUZ, Afghanistan - When the Taliban descended a month ago on Dam Shakh, a hamlet on the wheat-growing plains of northern Afghanistan's Kunduz province, nobody was prepared.
- US to "fine tune" Iraq strategy in light of Ramadi debacle Updated: May-28-15 3:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Pentagon leaders are trying to "fine tune" U.S. strategy for ousting the Islamic State group from Iraq, focusing on faster and better training and arming of Sunni tribes whose combat role is central to reversing the extremists' advances, senior U.S. officials said Thursday.
- Kurdish fighters in Syria on the march against IS militants Updated: May-28-15 3:42 pm
BEIRUT - In contrast to the Iraqi army's failures, Kurdish fighters in Syria are on the march against the Islamic State group, capturing towns and villages in an oil-rich swath of the country's northeast under the cover of U.S.-led airstrikes.
- Colombian rebel peace negotiator among dead in military raid Updated: May-27-15 10:44 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Leftist rebels in Colombia claimed on Wednesday that one of their most-veteran fighters, a former envoy to peace talks with the government, was killed during a military raid last week.
- Analysis: Against IS, airstrikes may not suffice Updated: May-27-15 6:28 pm
BAGHDAD - It's the modern era's military strategy of choice: overwhelming air power delivering precision-guided punishment backed by intelligence on the ground, with minimal exposure for soldiers of the striking side.
- Hezbollah says it struck Syria militants with help of drone Updated: May-27-15 11:01 am
BEIRUT - Lebanon's Hezbollah group says it has struck a group of al-Qaida militants near the border with Syria with the help of a drone for the first time.
- Group: Hamas tortured, killed Palestinians in 2014 Gaza war Updated: May-26-15 11:10 pm
JERUSALEM - A leading international watchdog on Wednesday accused the militant Hamas group of abducting, torturing and killing Palestinians during the war in the Gaza Strip last year, saying some of the actions amount to war crimes.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- Police: 5 wounded in militant attack on Kenyan police Updated: May-26-15 6:35 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Al-Shabab gunmen attacked Kenyan police vehicles near Somalia's border, injuring at least five officers and burning five cars, police said on Tuesday.
- Biden tries to smooth over anger sparked by Carter's comment Updated: May-26-15 3:15 am
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is reassuring Iraq's government of U.S. support in the fight against the Islamic State group, telephoning Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi with thanks for "the enormous sacrifice and bravery of Iraqi forces" one day after Defense Secretary Ash Carter questioned the Iraqi military commitment.
- Afghan forces struggle as Taliban seeks northern stronghold Updated: May-26-15 2:25 am
KUNDUZ, Afghanistan - Taliban insurgents, their ranks swelled by foreign fighters pushed across the border from Pakistan, nearly surrounded this northern Afghan city last month with an offensive that stunned local authorities and raised concerns over their ability to defend the country without U.S. and foreign combat troops.
- Somalia: Militants kill lawmaker in capital, attack 2 towns Updated: May-23-15 1:41 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - A Somali lawmaker was shot and killed by gunmen in the capital Saturday, as dozens of Islamic extremists attacked two towns in southern Somalia, clashing with government troops in fighting that killed 18 militants and soldiers, Somali security officials said.
- Colombia rebels cancel unilateral cease-fire after army raid Updated: May-22-15 2:55 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's largest rebel group on Friday called off a unilateral cease-fire in reaction to a military raid on a guerrilla camp that killed 26 of its fighters, further straining negotiations to end the country's half-century-old conflict.
- Kenya says attack by Somali militants thwarted in Garissa Updated: May-22-15 9:34 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Kenyan forces fought suspected al-Shabab members in a village close to the northeastern town where a massacre of college students took place last month, according to the interior ministry.
- Former Boko Haram captives still held - by Nigerian military Updated: May-21-15 5:05 pm
YOLA, Nigeria - The accusations against a woman who was rescued from Boko Haram abductors came from fellow former captives during a group counseling session.
- Turkey: Leftist militant suspected in Kurdish party attacks Updated: May-21-15 9:52 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has claimed that a person linked to a leftist extremist group is behind two attacks this week against Turkey's pro-Kurdish political party, which injured six people.
- British man charged with trying to join al-Shabab in Somalia Updated: May-21-15 9:34 am
LONDON - A British man has been charged with making plans to travel to Somalia to link up with Islamic extremists there.
- Algerian army kills more militants, total of 25 in 2 days Updated: May-20-15 11:59 am
ALGIERS, Algeria - Algerian forces killed three militants just east of Algiers in a counter-insurgency sweep, raising the total slain over the past two days to 25, the Defense Ministry announced Wednesday.
- Shiite militias helping Iraq repel extremists' advance Updated: May-19-15 11:43 am
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has called for Iranian-allied Shiite militiamen to help drive Islamic State extremists from Ramadi, the capital of Iraq's vast Sunni-dominated Anbar province.
- Pakistani officials say US drone strike kills 3 militants Updated: May-19-15 7:56 am
DERA ISLAMIL KHAN, Pakistan - Two missiles fired from a U.S. drone hit a compound in a Pakistani tribal region near the Afghan border, killing three militants, Pakistani intelligence officials said Tuesday.
- Q&A: The IS group captures Iraq's Ramadi Updated: May-18-15 2:25 pm
Nearly a year after sweeping across northern and western Iraq, the Islamic State group this weekend seized Ramadi, capital of the western Anbar province, routing Iraqi forces despite heavy U.S.-led airstrikes.