- Powerful storms topple trees that kill driver, hurt campers Updated: Aug-04-15 4:07 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A line of powerful thunderstorms rolled through communities in southern New England on Tuesday, toppling trees that killed a driver and injured several campers at a state park and leaving as many as 150,000 electric customers without power at the height of the storms.
- Stormy weather cancels some events Updated: Aug-04-15 3:46 pm
NASHUA, New Hampshire - Stormy weather in New Hampshire has led to some cancellations, including a National Night Out in Nashua.
- Severe storms damage fruit crops near Traverse City Updated: Aug-04-15 3:25 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Severe storms carrying strong winds and hail caused damage to crops near Traverse City over the weekend.
- Police: Connecticut motorist killed by downed tree in storm Updated: Aug-04-15 3:17 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Groton police say a motorist was killed when a tree fell on his vehicle during a fast-moving and violent storm.
- Storms bring high winds, lightning to mid-Atlantic Updated: Aug-04-15 1:59 pm
MARRIOTTSVILLE, Maryland - High winds downed trees and wires, and lightning is being blamed for a house fire in Maryland as severe storms raced through the mid-Atlantic region.
- Officials probing New Hampshire tent collapse that killed 2 Updated: Aug-04-15 1:52 pm
LANCASTER, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's fire marshal said Tuesday it's not clear why a circus operator proceeded with a show minutes after the National Weather Service put out a severe storm warning. Winds of 60 mph winds collapsed the tent, killing two spectators and sending about 32 others to hospitals.
- Cuomo announces grants for storm-damaged historic properties Updated: Aug-04-15 12:52 pm
NEW YORK - Gov. Andrew Cuomo says $6.2 million in grants will help repair 16 historic properties badly damaged by Superstorm Sandy in 2012.
- Storm causes power outages on Long Island Updated: Aug-04-15 12:35 pm
MINEOLA, New York - Thousands of electric customers have been without power after a strong storm roared across parts of Long Island.
- Crews work to restore power after storms hit Michigan Updated: Aug-04-15 12:29 pm
GLEN ARBOR, Michigan - Crews are making progress restoring power to tens of thousands of Michigan homes and businesses left without electrical service following severe storms.
- Forecasters confirm tornado struck Chicago-area on Sunday Updated: Aug-04-15 8:40 am
WOOD DALE, Illinois - The National Weather Service says storms that moved through the Chicago area on Sunday produced an EF-1 tornado.
- Can New Orleans apparent school improvements be duplicated? Updated: Aug-04-15 1:34 am
NEW ORLEANS - Even as New Orleans is held up nationwide as a model of school reform for changes that took place after Hurricane Katrina, researchers at Tulane University say there are questions about whether the apparent successes can be duplicated in other areas.
- Man rescued after 6 hours in Lake Michigan during storm Updated: Aug-03-15 7:13 pm
SOUTH MANITOU ISLAND, Michigan - The U.S. Coast Guard says it plucked a kayaker from Lake Michigan after the man was in the water for about six hours during a weekend storm.
- Guillermo downgraded to tropical storm as it heads to Hawaii Updated: Aug-03-15 7:11 pm
HONOLULU - Hurricane Guillermo was downgraded to a tropical storm Monday as it continued its course toward the Hawaiian Islands.
- Typhoon slams into Saipan causing widespread damage Updated: Aug-03-15 6:58 pm
HONOLULU - A typhoon with sustained winds around 100 mph and gusts up to 120 mph slammed into Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands, causing widespread damage.
- Rauner declares 23 counties disaster areas, seeks FEMA help Updated: Aug-03-15 4:11 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has issued a state disaster proclamation for 23 counties devastated by severe storms this summer and has asked the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help assess the damages there.
- Storm causes accident, forces newspaper to print again Updated: Aug-03-15 3:13 pm
MOUNT PLEASANT, Michigan - A central Michigan newspaper says it had to reprint the Monday edition after papers were destroyed during a severe weekend storm.
- Iowa gets federal disaster declaration for severe weather Updated: Aug-03-15 3:03 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A federal disaster declaration has been issued for 19 Iowa counties damaged by severe weather in June.
- Strong winds pelt visitors at Sleeping Bear Dunes with sand Updated: Aug-03-15 2:58 pm
EMPIRE, Michigan - Members of a western Michigan family and other visitors to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Empire were pelted with sand during one of the storms that barreled across the state.
- FEMA says aid tops $2 million after Arkansas storms Updated: Aug-03-15 2:52 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Federal officials say the government has provided more than $2 million in aid to help Arkansas recover from storms that hit in May and June.
- Death toll from Pakistan flash floods rises to 118 Updated: Aug-03-15 12:56 pm
ISLAMABAD - The death toll from flash floods triggered by seasonal monsoon rains in various parts of Pakistan has risen to 118 and floodwater has inundated vast areas, leaving tens of thousands homeless, authorities said Monday.
- NE Wisconsin hit hard by severe storms Updated: Aug-03-15 7:55 am
MILWAUKEE - Severe weather uprooted trees, blew down power lines and dropped golf ball-sized hail in parts of Wisconsin.
- Tornado rips through fields in southern Iowa Updated: Aug-03-15 6:49 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A tornado has ripped through farm fields in southern Iowa as thunderstorms elsewhere in the state dropped heavy rain and loosed hail that approaching the size of baseballs.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes, Glen Arbor hit hard by Michigan storms Updated: Aug-03-15 6:37 am
GLEN ARBOR, Michigan - Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and the northern Lower Peninsula communities of Glen Arbor and Traverse City have been hit hard by severe storms packing high winds.
- Rains leave slick roads, cause flash flooding in Michigan Updated: Aug-03-15 6:02 am
DETROIT - Heavy rains as part of severe thunderstorms left roads slick and caused flash flooding in parts of Michigan.
- Man killed when storm slams tent down on crowd near Chicago Updated: Aug-03-15 1:02 am
CHICAGO - A man was killed and more than a dozen injured on Sunday when a tent where people had sought shelter during a brief storm blew off its moorings and collapsed on some of the crowd at a festival in a Chicago suburb.