- Judge sides with bookstores, blocks 'age verification' law Updated: Apr-29-16 6:08 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A federal judge on Friday blocked enforcement of a Louisiana criminal law that requires online booksellers, publishers and other website owners to electronically verify customers' ages before providing access to material that could be deemed harmful to children.
- US places 5 countries on trade monitoring list Updated: Apr-29-16 6:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department has placed five countries - China, Japan, Germany, South Korea and Taiwan - on a new monitoring list designed to pressure foreign governments to tackle large trade imbalances with the United States.
- Lawmakers overturn Narcan veto, falter on solar bill Updated: Apr-29-16 5:51 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - With five Mainers dying each week from overdoses, lawmakers on Friday overwhelmingly rejected Gov. Paul LePage's veto of a bill that increases availability of a drug overdose antidote. But they failed to overcome his veto of a bill to modernize state policies on solar power.
- Can South Dakota tax online sales? State presses to find out Updated: Apr-29-16 5:46 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota wants to collect state sales tax on purchases from Overstock.com and other Internet retailers. The state is pressing for the revenues with a lawsuit against several remote retailers that ultimately seeks to overturn a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
- Texas court blocks Houston from using tougher clean-air laws Updated: Apr-29-16 5:42 pm
HOUSTON - Houston's efforts to use local clean air laws to regulate pollution in the home of the nation's largest petrochemical complex were halted Friday by a Texas Supreme Court ruling in favor of energy and chemical companies that claimed the city had overreached.
- Boeing publicly discloses 2015 savings from state tax breaks Updated: Apr-29-16 5:39 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Boeing announced Friday that it saved $305 million through state tax breaks last year, marking the first time the company has been required by law to publicly disclose such information.
- The Latest: Maine boosts availability of overdose antidote Updated: Apr-29-16 4:57 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Latest on veto votes by the Maine Legislature (all times local):
- School cash added to break budget impasse, but issues remain Updated: Apr-29-16 4:57 pm
PHOENIX - An agreement to add millions in new school spending to break a stalemate that stalled a state budget deal for several days was still in flux Friday morning as the Arizona House prepared to debate the $9.58 billion budget package.
- Revised bill would address 'improper' gender identity claims Updated: Apr-29-16 4:53 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts House leaders Friday unveiled a revised version of a bill that would increase protections for transgender people, adding new language that could facilitate legal action against anyone who makes an "improper" claim of gender identity.
- The Latest: Hawaii medical marijuana bill clears committee Updated: Apr-29-16 4:52 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature negotiating dozens of bills before a deadline (all times local):
- North Carolina lawmaker defends law, acknowledges fallout Updated: Apr-29-16 4:20 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A top lawmaker has told business leaders he respects their right to speak out against a North Carolina law limiting protections for LGBT people - but that he's not changing his mind about it.
- Sweeping cuts to drug sentences put Legislature on notice Updated: Apr-29-16 4:15 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A group of Minnesota county attorneys and law enforcement officials urged lawmakers Friday to significantly reduce prison sentences for many of the state's drug offenders before automatic changes take effect in August.
- Spring break was a bust at Florida beach after drinking ban Updated: Apr-29-16 3:41 pm
PANAMA CITY BEACH, Florida - New laws to clean up spring break in Panama City Beach drove students elsewhere in March. Now business leaders are reporting big losses.
- Illinois weighs college aid for students in the US illegally Updated: Apr-29-16 3:34 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Laura Vivaldo considers herself fortunate among her Illinois college classmates who are in the U.S. illegally and struggle to pay tuition because they don't qualify for state or federal financial aid.
- Hawaii lawmakers negotiate dozens of bills before deadline Updated: Apr-29-16 3:32 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers are facing a major deadline and negotiating final details on dozens of bills. Anything that doesn't pass out of committee by the end of the day Friday will die.
- Fate of $12 Connecticut minimum wage bill is questionable Updated: Apr-29-16 3:22 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - It's questionable whether a proposal by Senate Democrats to increase Connecticut's minimum wage to $12 an hour by 2020 will be acted on during this year's legislative session.
- Iowa lawmakers say they've reached compromise on budget Updated: Apr-29-16 2:54 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers say they've reached an agreement on the budget that will keep state funding for Planned Parenthood, and the tentative deal is expected to be a breakthrough leading to adjournment.
- State seeks dismissal of lawsuit over governor's admin order Updated: Apr-29-16 2:27 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - A seine fisherman from southeast Alaska and a commercial fishing trade organization have sued Gov. Bill Walker over an administrative order they say made substantial legal changes to the agency regulating entry into the state's commercial fisheries.
- Arkansas Board of Health gives approval of abortion phrase Updated: Apr-29-16 1:50 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Arkansas Board of Health has given preliminary approval to regulations defining abortion as the "death of the unborn child," phrasing that the board attempted to remove from the rules earlier this year.
- Utah theater asks judge to block law in "Deadpool" case Updated: Apr-29-16 1:38 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah theater in trouble for serving booze during the movie "Deadpool" is asking a judge to block an obscenity law they say is so broad it would apply to Michelangelo's "David."
- Colorado House sends roads, schools spending bill to Senate Updated: Apr-29-16 1:33 pm
DENVER - A bill to increase investment in Colorado's underfunded roads and schools has passed the House.
- The Latest: Kansas governor's aide criticizes new tax plan Updated: Apr-29-16 1:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Legislature. (all times local):
- Casinos call for vote on Atlantic City aid, takeover bills Updated: Apr-29-16 1:09 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City's casinos, saying they are "on the edge of the abyss," want an immediate vote on bills in the state Legislature that would help the casinos and let the state take over the city's finances.
- The Latest: Arizona House set to debate budget bills Updated: Apr-29-16 12:40 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on legislative action an Arizona budget proposal (all times local):
- House again approves DC private school voucher program Updated: Apr-29-16 11:54 am
WASHINGTON - The House has voted again to reauthorize the nation's only federally funded private school voucher program, which is open to students in the District of Columbia.