- SC inspector general praises DJJ for response to riots Updated: May-26-16 11:11 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's inspector general says leaders at the Department of Juvenile Justice were slow to recognize problems that led to riots at its main prison but are taking decisive steps to regain control.
- Poliquin votes for LGBT rights for federal contractors Updated: May-26-16 10:49 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Republican Rep. Bruce Poliquin of Maine has reversed himself in joining a House majority in approving a measure aimed at upholding an executive order that bars federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT employees.
- 2 new casinos near NYC could save, or destroy, Atlantic City Updated: May-26-16 10:35 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Two new casinos proposed for northern New Jersey near New York City could save, or destroy, Atlantic City, panelists at a major casino conference said Thursday.
- French dock workers throw smoke bombs as protests escalate Updated: May-26-16 10:35 am
LE HAVRE, France - French protesters scuffled with police, dock workers set off smoke bombs and union activists disrupted fuel supplies and nuclear plants Thursday in the biggest challenge yet to President Francois Hollande's government as it tries to give employers more flexibility.
- Bernie Sanders sends fundraising plea for Feingold Updated: May-26-16 10:30 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Bernie Sanders has asked his backers to support Democrat Russ Feingold's Senate bid in Wisconsin.,
- Council of Europe: Detention of lone minors 'unacceptable' Updated: May-26-16 10:01 am
ATHENS, Greece - It is "unacceptable" for any unaccompanied refugee and migrant children who arrive on the continent to be held in detention centers, one of Europe's top human rights officials said Thursday, calling on European countries to ensure such children can be housed in special facilities and quickly reunited with their families.
- Sanders asks supporters to help Feingold in Senate bid Updated: May-26-16 9:57 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders is asking his donors to support Russ Feingold's U.S. Senate bid.
- New Jersey considers smoking ban at public beaches, parks Updated: May-26-16 9:49 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey residents would be barred from smoking on public beaches and in parks under legislation scheduled to get a vote in both houses of the Legislature.
- New Jersey lawmakers to vote on $15 minimum wage Updated: May-26-16 9:33 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - The New Jersey Assembly is scheduled to vote on legislation raising the state's minimum wage to $15 an hour over the next five years.
- Kenya tries again with anti-doping law Updated: May-26-16 8:55 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan lawmakers supported proposed changes to anti-doping legislation at a special sitting of parliament on Thursday in the hope that WADA will accept the law this time.
- France's growing labor standoff: What could happen next? Updated: May-26-16 8:08 am
PARIS - France's Socialist President Francois Hollande is engaged in the biggest test of his presidency, facing months of protests and strikes against a labor law that are threatening nationwide fuel shortages.
- Chicago Schools CEO to lead Springfield rally over funding Updated: May-26-16 7:09 am
CHICAGO - The head of Chicago Public Schools say the district has "reached the point of no return" and faces severe cuts without "equal" funding from the state.
- Genocide education requirement on way to Michigan governor Updated: May-26-16 5:47 am
LANSING, Michigan - A bill to require older schoolchildren to learn about the Holocaust and the 1915 massacre of Armenians has been sent to Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder.
- Lawmakers back call for US constitutional convention Updated: May-26-16 4:35 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana is joining a call for the first U.S. constitutional convention since the nation's founding, under legislation backed by state lawmakers.
- Lawmakers vote to increase fines for not wearing seatbelts Updated: May-26-16 3:43 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana lawmakers have agreed to boost the fines against people caught not wearing seatbelts in a vehicle.
- Testimony continues in trial of Alabama House speaker Updated: May-26-16 3:41 am
OPELIKA, Alabama - Testimony is continuing in the ethics trial of the Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard.
- New Jersey lawmakers to vote on Atlantic City rescue bills Updated: May-26-16 2:34 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers are set to vote on an Atlantic City rescue package to keep the struggling resort town from running out of money.
- Cuomo: NY must act to combat heroin Updated: May-26-16 12:35 am
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is vowing to enact the nation's "best" plan to fight heroin and opioid abuse.
- House reverses course on LGBT rights for federal contractors Updated: May-26-16 12:00 am
WASHINGTON - The House reversed itself late Wednesday and approved a measure aimed at upholding an executive order that bars discrimination against LGBT employees by federal contractors.
- House votes to bar purchases of heavy water from Iran Updated: May-25-16 11:52 pm
WASHINGTON - The House voted Wednesday to bar the U.S. government from future purchases of heavy water from Iran, undercutting the controversial nuclear pact with that nation and earning a certain veto threat on a key government funding bill.
- Medical marijuana legalization sent to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:11 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A medical marijuana legalization bill has been sent to Ohio Gov. John Kasich in an effort by state lawmakers to offset support for a proposed fall ballot measure.
- Medical marijuana OK'd by Ohio lawmakers in pre-break flurry Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers sent a medical marijuana legalization bill to the governor Wednesday on divided votes, in action capping a final flurry of activity ahead of their summer break.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- Bid for REAL ID-compliant driver's licenses passes House Updated: May-25-16 10:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - House lawmakers have unanimously agreed to allow Louisiana to issue driver's licenses that comply with federal identification law.
- Ohio airport to be named in honor of astronaut John Glenn Updated: May-25-16 10:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Astronaut John Glenn is getting an airport named in his honor in his home state of Ohio.