- Idaho lawmakers call for in-state medical school Updated: Nov-30-15 8:11 am
POCATELLO, Idaho - While the plan to open a new medical school at Washington State University in Spokane, Washington, has been praised, some Idaho lawmakers say that does not affect the need for a medical program in the Gem State.
- Leftists block Catalan leader's bid to head regional govt Updated: Nov-30-15 7:50 am
MADRID - Efforts by the acting president of Spain's powerful northeastern Catalonia region to form a pro-independence regional government have been dealt another blow as the radical pro-secession CUP party reaffirmed its opposition to his candidacy.
- Kosovo Parliament disrupted with tear gas, again Updated: Nov-30-15 6:27 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Opposition lawmakers in Kosovo have again disrupted parliament with tear gas, in a continuing protest against deals with Serbia and Montenegro.
- State representative waging battle against heroin use Updated: Nov-30-15 5:06 am
OLDENBURG, Indiana - It is a moment Rep. Cindy Ziemke will never forget: finding her 23-year-old son unconscious in the basement of her home.
- South Korea parliament ratifies free trade pact with China Updated: Nov-30-15 5:06 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's parliament on Monday approved a free trade pact with China after opposition lawmakers secured a $1.4 billion relief package for farmers.
- New Mexico lawmakers to discuss campaign finance reform Updated: Nov-30-15 5:01 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico Sen. Peter Wirth is going to try again to close loopholes within the state's campaign finance system.
- Congress returns to looming deadlines on budget, highways Updated: Nov-30-15 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - Lawmakers are returning to Capitol Hill to wrap up work on the budget, highway funding and taxes, an end-of-the-year stretch that will test the standing of Republican leaders like House Speaker Paul Ryan with the GOP's tea party wing and its anti-establishment presidential candidates.
- NY lawmakers to review spending on economic development Updated: Nov-30-15 3:11 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state lawmakers won't return to Albany for more than a month, but a small number are heading back early to review how the state spends money to spur economic development.
- NY lawmakers to hold meeting on synthetic marijuana Updated: Nov-30-15 3:01 am
SYRACUSE, New York - A group of lawmakers in New York state say the state needs to do more to fight synthetic marijuana.
- Obama prods world on climate change, faces pushback at home Updated: Nov-29-15 8:52 pm
PARIS - Facing pushback at home, President Barack Obama said Sunday that American leadership was helping make gains in the global fight against climate change as he tried to reassure world leaders assembling for a historic conference in Paris that the U.S. can deliver on its own commitments.
- Planned Parenthood: Long a lightning rod in US culture wars Updated: Nov-29-15 5:20 pm
NEW YORK - As a leading defender of abortion rights and comprehensive sex education, Planned Parenthood deals daily with some of America's most contentious issues, and is well accustomed to receiving verbal threats.
- Analysis: New Mississippi lawmakers bring broad experience Updated: Nov-29-15 5:17 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Roughly 20 percent of Mississippi legislative seats will turn over to a different person when the four-year term begins in January, with new members bringing fresh perspectives.
- Analysis: Edwards' victory has ripple effect across politics Updated: Nov-29-15 5:16 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - While analysts were still sifting through the results of the Louisiana governor's race, politicians already were moving beyond how it happened that a Democrat won the job and looking ahead to the ramifications of voters' decision.
- Kline, Franken back rewrite of No Child Left Behind Act Updated: Nov-29-15 4:14 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota will gain more control over its schools if Congress approves a rewrite of the federal No Child Left Behind law, according to two Minnesota lawmakers who helped forge the deal.
- Ex-US Rep. Patrick Kennedy and wife welcome new baby girl Updated: Nov-29-15 3:41 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Former U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his wife Amy are welcoming a new baby girl to their family.
- A look how Wolf's budget proposal fared in the Legislature Updated: Nov-29-15 3:21 pm
Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf and leaders of the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania Legislature say they expect final budget legislation to emerge for votes this week.
- Economic downturn hits Wyoming counties Updated: Nov-29-15 2:40 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - Many county commissions throughout the state have frozen hiring, banned travel, scaled back construction projects and are considering dipping into savings in the face of lower revenues.
- Ohio Senate race already drawing millions in early spending Updated: Nov-29-15 2:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland has been targeted by one of the nation's heaviest early barrages of outside spending as he seeks to unseat U.S. Sen. Rob Portman next year, and groups that support Strickland's victory are also taking aim at Portman in some big-money ad buys.
- Despite saving lives, air ambulance companies under fire Updated: Nov-29-15 2:09 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - Earlier this month, a Summit Air Ambulance helicopter raced up Hyalite Canyon south of Bozeman in search of a skier impaled on a tree.
- Republicans introduce bill to shift federal road funds Updated: Nov-29-15 1:13 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican legislators have created a bill that would shift federal road-building dollars from local work to state projects, a move that would exempt local projects from federal prevailing wage requirements.
- Massachusetts' newest members of Congress strong fundraisers Updated: Nov-29-15 12:56 pm
BOSTON - The three newest members of Massachusetts' all-Democratic congressional delegation are turning out to be three of its most prolific fundraisers.
- Supporters plan to fight for more sand on Hunting Island Updated: Nov-29-15 12:53 pm
HUNTING ISLAND, South Carolina - Supporters promise to keep fighting to get South Carolina lawmakers to set aside money to put more sand on the beaches on Hunting Island.
- Vermont lawmakers invited to budget preview Updated: Nov-29-15 12:44 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont lawmakers are being invited to a special meeting to review the state's tough budget situation.
- California governor in Paris to push pact to curb emissions Updated: Nov-29-15 11:05 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California Gov. Jerry Brown is heading to the U.N. Climate Change conference, which opens Monday, where he will promote the state's efforts to curb greenhouse gas emissions and urge other states and provinces to sign on to his climate pact.
- Closer Look: Task force looks to shrink Illinois government Updated: Nov-29-15 10:37 am
CHICAGO - On the campaign trail and in his first weeks in office, Gov. Bruce Rauner pledged to save taxpayers money by eliminating some of Illinois' nearly 7,000 units of government - a piece of his legislative agenda with rare bipartisan support.