- Hawaii legislators call for more security at Kaena Point Updated: Feb-08-16 5:01 am
HONOLULU - State lawmakers are considering heightened security at Kaena Point on Oahu following the deaths of at least three Laysan albatross and the destruction of several of the birds' nests at the nature reserve.
- Gallup senator's detox center proposal goes before committee Updated: Feb-08-16 5:01 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A proposal to fund detox and substance abuse treatment centers for the homeless with money from the state's liquor exise tax is scheduled to go before the state Senate Corporations and Transportation Committee on Monday.
- House panel to debate tax credit for concealed carry permit Updated: Feb-08-16 5:01 am
PHOENIX - A House panel is set to debate the merits of a tax credit for concealed carry permit holders.
- 4 Vermont judges face retention votes Updated: Feb-08-16 4:00 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A special legislative committee will take public testimony this week on whether four Vermont judges should be given new terms.
- Trump aiming for New Hampshire win, rivals aim to survive Updated: Feb-08-16 3:56 am
NASHUA, New Hampshire - GOP front-runner Donald Trump is aiming for his first win in New Hampshire's fast-approaching primary, while rival Republican candidates, including Jeb Bush, said their campaigns will go on no matter what the outcome Tuesday.
- Cruz seeks to appeal to supporters on fringe of GOP Updated: Feb-08-16 3:39 am
PETERBOROUGH, New Hampshire - Some politicians run from polarizing endorsements. Ted Cruz seeks them out.
- Fuel experts to discuss California's higher gas prices Updated: Feb-08-16 3:39 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A state panel is meeting Monday to investigate why California gas prices are consistently higher than the national average and whether state lawmakers can do anything about it.
- Timing is everything: Obama's budget same day as NH primary Updated: Feb-08-16 3:33 am
WASHINGTON - The main thing to know about President Barack Obama's final, $4 trillion budget is that it comes on the same day as the New Hampshire primary, ensuring it gets minimal attention with all the focus on the White House contenders.
- West Virginia House set for vote on permitless gun bill Updated: Feb-08-16 3:10 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia lawmakers are set to vote on a bill that would lift permit requirements to carry a covered-up gun.
- Higher ed up next on New York lawmakers' budget agenda Updated: Feb-08-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - Higher Education spending is next on the agenda for New York lawmakers as they continue work on the 2016-17 state budget.
- Controversial minister to become Australia's rights envoy Updated: Feb-08-16 2:18 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The former Australian immigration minister who began the widely condemned policy of sending asylum seekers to Pacific island detention camps will become Australia's first special envoy for human rights, the government said Monday.
- Opponents rally against Delaware death penalty Updated: Feb-08-16 2:15 am
DOVER, Delaware - Opponents of capital punishment are planning a rally to protest the defeat of a bill repealing Delaware's death penalty, and what they describe as chronic racial injustice in the state.
- Colorado's battle over tax limits could shape future growth Updated: Feb-08-16 2:14 am
DENVER - By 2030, Colorado's population will grow from 5 million to 7 million people, thanks in part to a strong and diverse economy, the state's famed Rocky Mountain quality of life, and its constitutionally-mandated low taxes.
- Name of Myanmar's next president to be known March 17 Updated: Feb-08-16 1:32 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - The names of Myanmar's next president and two vice presidents will be revealed on March 17, an official said Monday, setting a clear timeline for the transition of power from a military-controlled government to democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi's party.
- Haiti's president departs to make way for interim government Updated: Feb-07-16 10:30 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - President Michel Martelly made his farewell speech to Haiti as he departed office Sunday with no successor yet chosen because a runoff election was delayed for a second time last month amid violent protests and deep suspicions about vote rigging.
- School funding overhaul again faces long odds in Springfield Updated: Feb-07-16 10:10 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Lawmakers of all stripes have pledged support in recent weeks for overhauling the state's outdated school funding formula, a nearly 30 year old system that nearly everyone agrees penalizes students in poorer districts.
- Kansas bill would allow Bledsoe $235K Updated: Feb-07-16 5:39 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas man who was wrongfully convicted of murder would be eligible for about $235,000 in state compensation under proposed legislation.
- Home brewing bill on tap in state legislature Updated: Feb-07-16 3:38 pm
SHERIDAN, Wyoming - A bill has been proposed in the state Legislature that would allow homebrewers to bring their beers to brewfests throughout Wyoming.
- Aspen wants construction contractors to keep noise down Updated: Feb-07-16 3:26 pm
ASPEN, Colorado - The Aspen City Council has approved a new law that will require construction contractors to keep the noise down in the summertime as part of an effort to get people to spend more time outdoors in warmer months.
- Oklahoma Legislature working to fill widening budget gap Updated: Feb-07-16 3:16 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - One year ago, depressed energy prices contributed to a $611 million hole in the state budget that forced Oklahoma lawmakers to tap dozens of non-recurring revenue sources to prevent draconian cuts to public services like schools, roads and public safety.
- Former Seattle IRS agent to face trial on bribery charge Updated: Feb-07-16 2:38 pm
SEATTLE - A former IRS agent in Seattle is set to face trial this week on accusations that he solicited and received a $20,000 bribe from a medical marijuana dispensary.
- Court rules UW apartment complex tax-exempt Updated: Feb-07-16 2:33 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - A district judge has sided with the University of Wyoming in the college's dispute over property taxes on a student apartment complex.
- Bill proposes adding qualifications for sheriff candidatses Updated: Feb-07-16 2:09 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A proposal has been approved by the state Senate's Public Affairs Committee that would increase the necessary qualifications needed to for sheriff in any New Mexico county.
- Rhode Island lawmakers to propose legalizing marijuana Updated: Feb-07-16 1:01 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A bill to legalize and tax recreational marijuana in Rhode Island is returning to the state's General Assembly after failing to pass in previous years.
- Documents show Iowa has backlog of criminal appeal cases Updated: Feb-07-16 12:52 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa attorney general's office has gained approval to temporarily hire lawyers to deal with a backlog of criminal appeal cases that have piled up since an Iowa Supreme Court rule change in 2012.