- SOUTH CHINA SEA WATCH: China 'happy' US-Vietnam ties warming Updated: May-23-16 11:58 pm
A look at some recent key developments in the South China Sea, where China is pitted against smaller neighbors in territorial disputes over islands, coral reefs and lagoons in waters rich in fish and potential gas and oil reserves:
- Obama is off to Asia to boost trade, cooperation Updated: May-21-16 1:43 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama departed Saturday on a weeklong, 16,000-mile trip to Asia, part of his effort to pay more attention to the region and boost economic and security cooperation.
- European security group mulls police mission to Ukraine Updated: May-19-16 8:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe is considering sending an armed police mission to help conduct elections in conflict-torn eastern Ukraine, if there is agreement on all sides.
- Modest goals set in bid to save Syria truce, peace talks Updated: May-17-16 11:33 am
VIENNA - Seeking to salvage and reinforce a shaky truce, world and regional powers agreed Tuesday to try to turn the faltering pause in fighting into a comprehensive cease-fire and boost humanitarian aid deliveries with the hope of restarting peace talks.
- Veterans Administration offers vets with benefits, claims Updated: May-09-16 4:05 am
SPARTANBURG, South Carolina - The U.S. Veterans Administration is offering to help military veterans in Spartanburg County with benefits enrollment and claims at a special forum.
- Grand Forks man arrested on explosives charge Updated: May-07-16 5:15 pm
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - Grand Forks Police say they arrested a 32-year-old man on suspicion of reckless endangerment and possession of explosives after responding to a report of a firearm discharged in an adjacent apartment.
- AP names Fernando Gonzalez deputy news director for LatAm Updated: May-04-16 12:33 pm
MEXICO CITY - Fernando Gonzalez, a veteran video journalist who has spent more than 30 years covering Latin America and the Caribbean, has been named to a new role as The Associated Press' deputy news director for the region.
- Japan announces $7 billion plan to develop Mekong region Updated: May-02-16 5:41 am
BANGKOK - Japan's foreign minister announced a $7 billion initiative Monday to promote development in Southeast Asia's Mekong region, which encompasses parts of Vietnam, Laos and Thailand through which the river flows.