- Man convicted of killing lawmaker's 2 sisters gets life term Updated: May-26-16 4:30 pm
PITTSBURGH - A man convicted of killing two sisters of an Iowa state lawmaker was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without parole after a jury deadlocked on whether he should get the death penalty.
- Connecticut Supreme Court upholds death penalty abolishment Updated: May-26-16 1:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Connecticut Supreme Court on Thursday upheld its landmark ruling declaring the state's death penalty unconstitutional and abolishing capital punishment.
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of death penalty Updated: May-25-16 8:29 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The husband of a woman gunned down at a historic black church in Charleston with eight other people said Wednesday he won't be at peace until the man charged in the slayings is put to death.
- Florida editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:04 pm
Recent editorials from Florida newspapers:
- Freed man says Kansas should end the death penalty Updated: May-23-16 9:59 am
LAWRENCE, Kansas - A man who spent nearly 16 years in prison for a rape and killing to which his brother confessed wants Kansas to pull the plug on the death penalty.
- Supporters: Iran human rights activist gets 10-year sentence Updated: May-20-16 7:26 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An already-imprisoned prominent human rights activist in Iran has been sentenced to 10 years in prison in a new trial, a ruling denounced Friday by the United Nations as it called for her immediate release.
- EU chides Belarus over recent increase in death penalties Updated: May-20-16 6:52 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union is complaining to Belarus about what it calls an upsurge in death sentences over the past months.
- Singapore executes Malaysian convict hours after last appeal Updated: May-20-16 6:43 am
SINGAPORE - A Malaysian man convicted of murder in Singapore was executed Friday hours after the city-state's highest court rejected a last-minute appeal, police said.
- Grand jury: Lawyer backed use of wrong drug in execution try Updated: May-19-16 8:09 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The top lawyer for Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin urged prison officials to go forward with a planned execution even though they received the wrong drug, telling a deputy attorney general to "Google it" to confirm it could be used, a grand jury said in a report Thursday.
- Signatures submitted for pro-death penalty ballot measure Updated: May-19-16 7:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - A campaign for a ballot initiative to speed executions for inmates on death row in California submitted signatures Thursday to appear on an increasingly crowded ballot that is expected to include an opposing measure to repeal capital punishment.
- Arkansas seeks to resume executions as drug expiration nears Updated: May-19-16 5:05 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A lawyer for Arkansas' prison system asked the state Supreme Court on Thursday to allow eight executions to proceed, telling justices that questions about one of the state's execution drugs have been adequately addressed by judges elsewhere in the U.S.
- The Latest: Pro-death penalty measure nears California vote Updated: May-19-16 4:33 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on a proposed California ballot measure to accelerate appeals for inmates on death row (all times local):
- Nebraska death penalty foes: Life in prison means no parole Updated: May-18-16 4:50 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A group that is urging voters not to reinstate Nebraska's death penalty argued Wednesday that the state's 10 death-row inmates will die in prison regardless of what happens in the November election.
- Appeals court considers Missouri's lethal injection protocol Updated: May-18-16 3:42 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - An attorney representing four state residents argued before a panel of the Missouri Court of Appeals Wednesday that a judge incorrectly dismissed a lawsuit challenging the state's procedures for obtaining the drugs it uses to perform executions.
- Kansas man convicted of killing 4 gets death sentence Updated: May-18-16 3:02 pm
OTTAWA, Kansas - A judge sentenced a man to death on Wednesday for the killing of two men, a woman and her 18-month-old daughter on an eastern Kansas farm three years ago.
- The Latest: Kobach in Kansas delegation to GOP convention Updated: May-14-16 4:52 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on Kansas Republicans' state meeting (all times local):
- Correction: Execution Drugs-Pfizer story Updated: May-14-16 1:25 pm
In a story May 13 about a pharmaceutical company's refusal to sell states drugs used in lethal injections, The Associated Press erroneously spelled the last name of the director for Reprieve, a civil rights group opposed to the death penalty. Her name is Maya Foa, not Maya Foia.
- UN rights experts criticize reported Belarus execution Updated: May-13-16 12:03 pm
GENEVA - U.N. human rights experts are criticizing a reported execution of a murder suspect in Belarus, saying the move violates the country's international commitments.
- The Latest: Stay of execution maintained for Alabama inmate Updated: May-12-16 9:37 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Latest on the execution of an Alabama inmate (all times local):
- Missouri man put to death for killing deputy, 2 others Updated: May-11-16 11:14 pm
BONNE TERRE, Missouri - A man who killed two people in a drug dispute and a sheriff's deputy in a subsequent shootout was put to death Wednesday in what could be Missouri's last execution for some time.
- Latest: Missouri man executed for killing deputy, 2 others Updated: May-11-16 9:04 pm
BONNE TERRE, Missouri - The Latest on the Missouri execution of a man convicted of killing a sheriff's deputy and two other people in 2002 (all times local):
- Taiwan executes man for 2014 subway stabbing spree Updated: May-11-16 2:19 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan has executed a man convicted of killing four people in a subway stabbing spree two years ago, an attack that strengthened support for the death penalty on the island, where violent crime is rare.
- Kenya: Wife accused of helping anthrax plot appears in court Updated: May-10-16 12:18 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The wife accused of assisting her medic husband to plot a biological attack in Kenya and assisting in recruiting for the Islamic State group has been extradited from Uganda and appeared in a Nairobi court Tuesday.
- Florida judge: New death penalty law unconstitutional Updated: May-09-16 6:25 pm
A Miami-Dade circuit judge declared that the state's new death penalty law is unconstitutional, saying Monday it should require a unanimous decision from the jury.
- California elections are a bonanza for signature-gatherers Updated: May-08-16 12:27 pm
SAN DIEGO - Steve Kriston is accustomed to insults from shoppers. Some tell him to get a job when he solicits signatures to qualify measures for California's ballot.