- Dems introduce bill to allow gun ban at sports, music venues Updated: Sep-01-15 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Two Democrats are introducing legislation to allow all firearms to be banned at major sports and music venues.
- Doctors ask full appeals court to reconsider gun speech law Updated: Aug-30-15 4:32 am
MIAMI - Physician groups are asking a federal appeals court to reconsider a ruling upholding a Florida law restricting what doctors can ask patients about guns.
- TV shooting survivor's husband recounts story before gunfire Updated: Aug-28-15 7:30 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The woman who survived the on-air shooting that killed two TV journalists says she never saw the gunman walk up to the group because the camera's bright light blinded her.
- After TV slaying, reporter's dad finds voice on gun control Updated: Aug-28-15 6:30 pm
COLLINSVILLE, Virginia - Andy Parker's resolve to fight for gun control formed in the hours after his daughter was shot and killed on live television. In his first interviews after the tragedy, he briefly mentioned the issue as he eulogized Alison. By Friday, he was pledging a full-scale fight for tougher gun laws on national TV.
- Arkansas attorney general: Law allows 'open carry' of guns Updated: Aug-28-15 6:29 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A 2013 Arkansas law allows people to openly carry handguns if they don't plan on using them illegally against someone, Attorney General Leslie Rutledge said Friday, contrasting with her Democratic predecessor's stance.
- The Latest: Survivor expresses condolences for TV workers Updated: Aug-28-15 1:36 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The latest on the on-air killing of two TV station employees in Virginia (all times local):
- O'Malley makes presidential campaign stop in Tennessee Updated: Aug-28-15 8:53 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley knows he needs to make a big splash in early presidential contests like Iowa and New Hampshire, but he said he's already looking ahead to the next group of primary states like Tennessee in his bid for the Democratic nomination.
- UN calls for panel to identify Syria chemical weapons users Updated: Aug-27-15 7:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. chief proposed Thursday that a new international body to assign blame for chemical attacks in Syria's deadly conflict for the first time have the freedom to go anywhere and the support of all parties on the ground.
- Another law enforcement officer gun stolen in the Bay Area Updated: Aug-26-15 11:04 pm
HAYWAYRD, California - Authorities say a Hayward police officer's gun was stolen during a car burglary in Oakland, marking at least the third such theft in the Bay Area in recent months.
- Court: Second Amendment also covers those in US illegally Updated: Aug-25-15 2:13 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - People living in the United States illegally have a constitutional right to bear arms but are still barred from doing so by a separate law, a federal appeals court ruled.
- NRA sues over Seattle's adoption of 'gun violence tax' Updated: Aug-24-15 5:46 pm
SEATTLE - Three gun rights groups, including the National Rifle Association, sued the city of Seattle on Monday over its adoption of a so-called "gun violence tax," a tax on firearms and ammunition designed to help offset the financial toll of gun violence.
- Southwestern Indiana police look to sell confiscated weapons Updated: Aug-22-15 1:29 pm
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - Law enforcement agencies in southwestern Indiana are looking for ways to sell hundreds of confiscated guns to pay for firearms training within their departments.
- Federal program gives tribes access to criminal databases Updated: Aug-19-15 5:19 pm
SEATTLE - Federal officials on Wednesday launched a new program that will allow tribes access to national criminal databases and fix a system that allowed a man to buy a gun that was later used by his son to kill four classmates and himself at a Washington high school.
- New NC law lets Guard members have concealed carry on duty Updated: Aug-18-15 7:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A bill allowing some North Carolina National Guard members to carry concealed handguns while on duty is now law.
- Missouri Supreme Court: Felon-in-possession law stands Updated: Aug-18-15 6:47 pm
ST. LOUIS - The Missouri Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a state law banning felons from possessing firearms, ruling that it does not violate a constitutional right to bear arms.
- Senator proposing tighter gun control after church shootings Updated: Aug-17-15 12:16 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The South Carolina state senator who represents the district that includes Charleston's Emanuel AME Church is proposing tougher state gun controls in the aftermath of the shootings at the church that killed nine people.
- Judge denies permanent order prohibiting no-guns policy Updated: Aug-12-15 2:58 pm
NORMAN, Oklahoma - An Oklahoma judge said he won't make permanent his temporary order that barred organizers of a music festival from enforcing a weapons ban.
- US officials say they can tell if Iran is cheating on deal Updated: Aug-12-15 3:42 am
WASHINGTON - Despite a track record of misjudgments about weapons of mass destruction, U.S. intelligence officials say they are confident they can verify Iran's compliance with the recently completed nuclear deal.
- Sheriffs speak out against proposed change to gun laws Updated: Aug-11-15 6:22 pm
PHENIX CITY, Alabama - A group of Alabama sheriffs said Tuesday that current state gun laws limit their discretion in granting concealed carry permits and proposed legislation could further complicate their ability to confiscate weapons from potentially dangerous people.
- Seattle City Council votes to adopt 'gun violence tax' Updated: Aug-10-15 8:56 pm
SEATTLE - Seattle's City Council unanimously approved a new tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition Monday - a measure designed to help offset the financial toll of gun violence. But opponents quickly promised a legal challenge.
- Judge: Father can openly carry pistol in daughter's school Updated: Aug-10-15 7:59 pm
CLIO, Michigan - A Genesee County judge has ruled a father can openly carry his pistol inside his daughter's elementary school.
- Editorials from around Ohio Updated: Aug-10-15 5:20 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Ohio newspapers:
- Calls to abolish nukes on Nagasaki bombing 70th anniversary Updated: Aug-09-15 12:19 am
NAGASAKI, Japan - The city of Nagasaki marked the 70th anniversary of the atomic bombing Sunday with calls to abolish nuclear weapons and halt the Japanese government's push to loosen restrictions on what its military can do.
- Los Angeles outlaws large-capacity gun magazines Updated: Aug-07-15 6:01 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles has banned possession of gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, closing a loophole in state law.
- Williamson County attorney says guns can be banned from fair Updated: Aug-07-15 1:07 pm
FRANKLIN, Tennessee - The Williamson County attorney says that the fair kicking off Friday can still ban guns despite a recent state attorney general's opinion suggesting otherwise.