- Gun supporters claim Katie Couric documentary deceptive Updated: May-26-16 7:00 am
WASHINGTON - Gun rights activists featured in a new documentary on the issue hosted by Katie Couric say it utilizes deceptive editing to misrepresent their response to a question from the news anchor.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:55 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Florida teen arrested after falsely reporting gun at school Updated: May-25-16 1:04 pm
WINTER HAVEN, Florida - Law enforcement officials say a false report about a gun on campus caused a brief lockdown at a Florida high school.
- 66 firearms stolen from gun range near Atlanta Updated: May-25-16 12:21 pm
MCDONOUGH, Georgia - Federal authorities say 66 firearms have been stolen from a gun range outside Atlanta.
- 2 students suspended for firing airsoft guns at classmates Updated: May-24-16 11:13 am
POSTVILLE, Iowa - The Postville school superintendent in northeast Iowa says two sixth-graders have been suspended for shooting airsoft guns at five classmates.
- Editorial Roundup: Recent editorials in Oklahoma newspapers Updated: May-24-16 9:16 am
Here are excerpts from recent editorials in Oklahoma newspapers:
- Hawaii could be first to put gun owners in federal database Updated: May-24-16 6:42 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii could become the first state in the United States to enter gun owners into an FBI database that will automatically notify police if an island resident is arrested anywhere else in the country.
- Feds to crack down on guns at Atlanta airport checkpoints Updated: May-24-16 4:06 am
ATLANTA - Starting next month, anyone who accidently brings a gun to the security checkpoint at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport will not be protected by a state law and could instead be facing up to a year in jail and a $100,000 fine.
- West Virginia begins allowing concealed guns without permits Updated: May-24-16 3:55 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia now lets people 21 years old and up carry hidden guns without permits or training.
- GOP nominee to succeed Boehner in Ohio: Time to see results Updated: May-23-16 9:01 pm
HAMILTON, Ohio - The Republican nominee to succeed former U.S. House Speaker John Boehner in his district said Monday he'll be a voice for the district in Washington and will push to get action on issues on which little has happened, such as the nation's budget.
- The Latest: Republican says time for action on budget Updated: May-23-16 8:15 pm
HAMILTON, Ohio - The Latest on the candidate forum for the special election to fill the U.S. House seat vacated by Republican John Boehner (all times local):
- Virginia GOP file lawsuit to block felons from voting Updated: May-23-16 3:53 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Republicans asked state's highest court Monday to block more than 200,000 felons from voting in November, arguing that Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe abused his power by restoring the voting rights of thousands of convicts who've completed their sentences.
- Texas police say criminals often using imitation weapons Updated: May-22-16 11:09 am
DALLAS - Police in Texas say more crimes are being committed with imitation weapons like BB guns, likely because they're cheap, easy to obtain and criminals may believe - mistakenly - that if they're caught, they'll avoid the severe punishment that can come with illegally possessing a real one.
- Guns now permitted in Texas centers for disabled residents Updated: May-20-16 4:22 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas' state-run homes for disabled residents have begun letting people with concealed handgun permits carry weapons into the facilities.
- Man gets to 2 years for robbery that caused campus lockdown Updated: May-20-16 3:02 pm
BELCHERTOWN, Massachusetts - A 23-year-old man has been sentenced to two years in prison for the armed robbery of a University of Massachusetts-Amherst student that triggered a campus lockdown in February.
- Bristol's concealed weapon policy upheld by federal judge Updated: May-20-16 6:24 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A federal court judge has ruled that the town of Bristol's policy requiring concealed weapon permit applicants to demonstrate a true safety need doesn't infringe on Second Amendment rights.
- Man arrested in connection with several Charlotte robberies Updated: May-20-16 5:37 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Charlotte police have arrested a man they believe is responsible for a series of armed robberies in the area.
- California Senate approves sweeping gun-control measures Updated: May-19-16 8:30 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democrats in the California Senate approved a wide-ranging series of gun control bills Thursday, reviving an effort to significantly tighten California's already strict gun laws in the wake of last year's terrorist attack in San Bernardino.
- Trump, Clinton speeches to highlight US divisions on guns Updated: May-19-16 4:57 pm
Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will court voters on opposite sides of the gun debate over the next two days in events that will highlight the nation's deep divide on the topic.
- The Latest: California Senate backs strict gun restrictions Updated: May-19-16 2:45 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The latest on the California Senate's gun-control debate (all times are local):
- Accused man's mental health, criminal record raise concerns Updated: May-18-16 5:15 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Russell MacPherson says he doesn't understand why his adult son, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia and received mental health care, was able to buy a handgun police accuse him of using to shoot two police officers last week.
- Gun-maker sentenced to probation, fined for firearms crimes Updated: May-17-16 6:02 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The former owner of a company that makes military-style rifles has been sentenced to probation and the company fined $500,000 for violating federal firearms laws.
- Missouri's Koster says Obama acted too quickly on bathrooms Updated: May-17-16 6:01 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's top Democratic gubernatorial candidate, Attorney General Chris Koster, said Tuesday the Obama administration moved "too quickly and too unilaterally" in issuing guidance on transgender students' access to public school bathrooms.
- Judge halts enforcement of a portion of DC's strict gun law Updated: May-17-16 5:51 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal judge in Washington halted enforcement of a portion of the city's strict gun law Tuesday in a ruling that conflicts with another judge's assessment of the law earlier this year and sets up two competing views for a higher court.
- Wisconsin court overturns conviction of gun-toting man Updated: May-17-16 4:37 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A man who was walking near a school with a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle on his shoulder and a handgun in a holster had his loitering conviction overturned Tuesday by a Wisconsin appeals court, a victory for open carry advocates.