- NC House panel to debate updated gun bill Updated: Jun-03-15 4:05 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - House Republicans have decided to move forward with an updated bill on gun regulations that ultimately still would repeal North Carolina's pistol permit application system run by local sheriffs.
- House panel backs bill amending gun background checks bill Updated: Jun-03-15 2:26 am
SALEM, Oregon - An Oregon House committee advanced legislation Tuesday that makes changes to a bill requiring background checks for most private firearm transfers.
- Oakland County law enforcement to hand out 3,000 gun locks Updated: Jun-03-15 1:45 am
PONTIAC, Michigan - Authorities in one county in the Detroit area are handing out 3,000 free trigger locks as they mark Gun Safety Awareness Day.
- Kansas lawmakers approve $131M budget for state court system Updated: Jun-01-15 9:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators on Monday approved a budget for the state court system to head off the possibility that judicial offices would be forced to close next week.
- Authorities in Detroit announce initiative to cut gun crime Updated: Jun-01-15 7:05 pm
DETROIT - Federal authorities and local officials in Detroit put felons on notice Monday that even getting caught with a gun could mean an extended stay in prison.
- Kansas lawmakers OK bill further limiting local gun rules Updated: Jun-01-15 6:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Cities and counties in Kansas couldn't use zoning ordinances to limit gun sales or impose special taxes on firearms under a bill state legislators have approved.
- Legislature ends with Lt. Gov. Patrick denying 2018 plans Updated: Jun-01-15 6:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The first legislative session under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott ended Monday with conservatives claiming victory on tax cuts, a big boost in border security spending and looser gun laws in a state already known as among America's most firearms friendly.
- Panel OKs tightening domestic violence offenders' gun access Updated: Jun-01-15 6:11 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey might be tightening domestic violence offenders' access to guns.
- Vietnam: Don't tie US weapons sales to human rights issues Updated: Jun-01-15 4:37 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Questions about human rights violations by the Vietnamese government should have no bearing on whether the U.S. should fully remove its ban on lethal weapons' sales to Hanoi, Vietnam's defense minister said Monday after meeting with U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter.
- Texas Legislature approves concealed handguns at colleges Updated: May-31-15 6:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Legislature has approved allowing residents with licenses to carry concealed handguns on public college campuses - but included a caveat that lets college presidents designate "gun-free zones."
- Connecticut lawmakers reach tentative budget deal Updated: May-31-15 3:11 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut legislators and Gov. Dannel P. Malloy reached a tentative deal on a two-year, $40 billion budget early Sunday.
- Texas Senate OKs concealed handguns on college campuses Updated: May-30-15 6:44 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Senate has approved allowing license holders to carry concealed handguns on public college campuses - but included a caveat that lets college presidents designate "gun-free zones."
- Survey shows majority support for NY gun control law Updated: May-30-15 10:05 am
ALBANY, New York - A recent survey shows majority support among registered voters for New York's gun control law enacted two years ago.
- McCain: US should allow sale of defensive weapons to Vietnam Updated: May-30-15 5:16 am
SINGAPORE - America needs to provide Vietnam with more defensive weapons, U.S. Sen. John McCain said Saturday as tensions in the Asia Pacific region heightened over China's expanding land reclamation projects in the South China Sea.
- Texas poised to allow open carry of handguns Updated: May-29-15 8:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Friday approved carrying handguns openly on the streets of the nation's second most-populous state, sending the bill to Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who immediately promised to sign it and reverse a ban dating to the post-Civil War era.
- Indictment: Lemmon woman provided rifle in manslaughter case Updated: May-29-15 4:35 pm
BISON, South Dakota - A woman provided the semi-automatic rifle that her common-law husband used to shoot and kill a man in their northwestern South Dakota home, a grand jury indictment filed this week alleged.
- Texas lawmakers reach agreement on open carry bill Updated: May-28-15 8:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Thursday negotiated a final version of a bill allowing licensed open carry of handguns, easing concerns of police and priming it for a vote that would send it to Gov. Greg Abbott.
- Bill allowing Sunday hunting with guns approved by NC Senate Updated: May-28-15 8:32 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Legislation that would end North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with guns on Sundays is possibly one vote away from going to Gov. Pat McCrory's desk.
- Increased domestic violence penalties headed to Haley's desk Updated: May-28-15 4:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A bill increasing penalties in South Carolina for repeat domestic violence offenders and banning batterers from having guns is heading to the governor's desk.
- Huntington council restricts locations of gun businesses Updated: May-27-15 8:14 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Huntington City Council has placed restrictions on where businesses that sell, manufacturer or repair guns can open in the city.
- Bill to allow concealed handguns at colleges gets big boost Updated: May-27-15 2:20 am
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas took a giant step closer to allowing concealed handguns in college classrooms late Tuesday, with House lawmakers giving their preliminary approval to a so-called "campus carry" measure, barely beating a midnight deadline.
- Nevada case is latest to test 'stand your ground' laws Updated: May-25-15 2:35 pm
RENO, Nevada - The idea that a person's home is their castle and they have the right to kill trespassers has been widely accepted in the U.S. for more than a century.
- Ethics panel fading to obscurity 10 years after Tenn. Waltz Updated: May-25-15 12:07 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - In the typical fray of the legislative session, few paid close attention to a seemingly innocuous bill about recycling computer equipment. That was until federal agents started arresting lawmakers.
- Fight over neighborhood gun pit calms in Rockingham County Updated: May-25-15 11:04 am
STONEVILLE, North Carolina - The fight over whether a homeowner should be allowed to build a pit on his land to fire his guns is quieting down in Rockingham County.
- New Kansas law on concealed guns concerns campuses Updated: May-24-15 1:17 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - Faculty and students have expressed concern about how a law allowing people to carry concealed guns into buildings on Kansas college campuses will affect the classroom.