- Russia launches new wave of air raids in Syria Updated: Oct-03-15 1:16 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Russian warplanes have attacked the Islamic State group and other insurgents in central and northern Syria with a wave of new airstrikes, Syrian and Russian military officials said Saturday as an activist group said Russia's air raids have killed 39 civilians over the three past days.
- Ex-lawmakers sued by former aides alleging retaliation Updated: Oct-03-15 1:12 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Two conservative former Michigan lawmakers who had an extramarital affair and attempted to conceal it have been sued by former aides.
- Australia to deport Kansas-based anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-03-15 12:17 pm
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia amid concerns that he could incite violence.
- US attorney appears to focus on political favors in New York Updated: Oct-03-15 11:09 am
ALBANY, New York - With a widening probe of New York state government, U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara appears to be taking aim at the nebulous relationship between money and politics itself - a long and murky association in Albany and in capitals across the nation.
- Sheriff maintains support for gun rights after mass shooting Updated: Oct-02-15 10:21 pm
ROSEBURG, Oregon - This small town in southern Oregon's timber country strongly supports gun rights, and that hasn't changed for the county's top law enforcement officer since a gunman killed nine people at a local community college.
- Prosecutors seek enhanced fines in NM official's fraud case Updated: Oct-02-15 8:35 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico prosecutors said Friday they intend to seek stiffer penalties against embattled Secretary of State Dianna Duran under a state law that pertains to public officials accused of wrongdoing.
- Ex-president to be questioned in Brazil corruption probe Updated: Oct-02-15 7:41 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Supreme Court judge ruled Friday that Brazil's federal police may question former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva as a witness in their investigation of a kickback scandal that has engulfed the state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Lt. Gov: 'Fellow Christians' should consider handgun permits Updated: Oct-02-15 7:27 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey said in a Facebook posting Friday that "fellow Christians" should consider getting a handgun carry permit after a gunman killed nine people at a community college in Oregon.
- Gov. Kasich denies clemency for jailed Ohio coin dealer Updated: Oct-02-15 6:30 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Gov. John Kasich denied a clemency request Friday from a former Toledo-area coin dealer who raised money for Ohio Republicans before being convicted in a state investment scandal that also ensnared a former governor.
- Q&A: Gun control prospects in GOP-run Congress remain remote Updated: Oct-02-15 5:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Another mass shooting, another appearance by a stricken-looking President Barack Obama expressing anguish and frustration over congressional inaction on gun control laws.
- LeBron James: 'There's no room for guns' Updated: Oct-02-15 4:49 pm
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio - LeBron James was at home with his three kids when news broke that a 5-month-old girl had been killed in a drive-by shooting - the third fatal shooting of a child in Cleveland in the past month.
- Judge says Forest Service violated FOIA in Wolf Creek plan Updated: Oct-02-15 4:26 pm
DENVER - A federal judge has ordered federal officials to go back and search their files after he ruled that the U.S. Forest Service violated the Freedom of Information Act by failing to conduct an adequate search and limiting what was disclosed about a proposed development in southwestern Colorado.
- The Latest: Hollande: Only 1 of Russia's raids hit IS Updated: Oct-02-15 3:03 pm
MOSCOW - The latest developments as Russia and other nations counter Islamic State militants in Syria. All times local:
- Lobbyist agrees to plead guilty in traffic-cameras scandal Updated: Oct-02-15 2:18 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio lobbyist has agreed to plead guilty to extortion in a scandal involving the bribery of Columbus public officials by a traffic-camera company trying to keep its contracts with the city.
- Secret Service director changes story in latest scandal Updated: Oct-02-15 2:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy is changing his story about what he knew and when in the most recent agency scandal.
- Minnesota governor isn't counting on big changes to gun laws Updated: Oct-02-15 12:10 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is downplaying the prospect for significant gun law changes in the wake of the latest mass shooting at an Oregon community college.
- Ethics panel sends campaign spending plan to Legislature Updated: Oct-02-15 12:08 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine's ethics commission is sending a proposal designed to shed more light on who's donating to large political organizations to the Legislature.
- Again? Health care debate expands for 2016 Updated: Oct-02-15 12:06 pm
WASHINGTON - America's health care debate has been called an unhealthy political obsession. But if the 2016 presidential hopefuls have any say, it's about to get bigger.
- Obama decries 'routine' response of country to shootings Updated: Oct-02-15 7:16 am
WASHINGTON - A grim President Barack Obama says the U.S. has "become numb" to mass shootings like Thursday's incident in Oregon, where 20-year-old gunman killed at least 9 people at Umpqua Community College.
- Markell signs domestic violence legislation Updated: Oct-02-15 3:46 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Gov. Jack Markell is signing legislation that clarifies how and when authorities can confiscate firearms from and prohibit the purchase of guns by people accused or convicted of domestic violence.
- Australia to deport American anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-02-15 3:09 am
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia, after the nation's highest court ruled Friday that he posed a threat to public order amid concerns he could incite violence against women.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- Nearly 50 new North Carolina laws take effect Thursday Updated: Oct-01-15 7:24 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - All or portions of nearly 50 laws passed by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Pat McCrory during this year's legislative session took effect Thursday. Here's a look at some of the most significant or interesting changes:
- Congress passes bill easing small business health law rules Updated: Oct-01-15 6:42 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress approved bipartisan legislation Thursday aimed at preventing premium increases that some smaller businesses were expecting next year under President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Williams challenging Hubbard for speakership Updated: Oct-01-15 6:14 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Republican Rep. Phil Williams said Thursday that he is challenging Mike Hubbard to be speaker of the House, saying he believes the House needs fresh leadership to restore confidence in the speaker's office.