- Attorney general: Civil rights key to suit against LGBT law Updated: May-24-16 10:32 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - Civil rights laws exist for anyone victimized because of a physical characteristic they can't control, and that's why the U.S. Justice Department challenged a North Carolina law that blocks some legal protections for LGBT citizens, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Tuesday.
- Grand jury opts not to indict state lawmaker's husband Updated: May-24-16 8:19 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A state lawmaker's husband, who hitched someone else's utility trailer to the back of his pickup and drove it back to his house, insisted to police that he had no intention of stealing the equipment.
- Rooftop solar company Sunrun drops suit against governor Updated: May-24-16 7:24 pm
LAS VEGAS - A rooftop solar company that accused Gov. Brian Sandoval of political cronyism dropped a lawsuit seeking to force the release of his text messages and wants to mend fences after harsh statements over a Nevada rate hike.
- Belt-tightening in Brazil aimed at fighting economic crisis Updated: May-24-16 7:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's acting president announced austerity measures Tuesday aimed at pulling Latin America's largest economy from its worst crisis in decades, warning that a failure to act will mean "extraordinary hardship" for future generations.
- Prosecutor: Alabama speaker made $2.3 million off his office Updated: May-24-16 6:51 pm
OPELIKA, Alabama - Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard went on trial Tuesday on felony ethics charges that could result in his removal from office, with a prosecutor telling jurors the powerful Republican legislator illegally made $2.3 million off his state position and GOP chairmanship despite promising to clean up corruption in the Statehouse.
- The Latest: Lobbyist says his firm handled Hubbard payments Updated: May-24-16 6:16 pm
OPELIKA, Alabama - The Latest on the Alabama House speaker's trial (all times local):
- California lawmaker backs pay initiative amid family charges Updated: May-24-16 6:09 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California lawmaker is contributing to a ballot measure that stemmed from allegations of bribery against his uncle.
- Montana lawyers argue to stay ruling on contribution limits Updated: May-24-16 5:27 pm
HELENA, Montana - A federal judge is considering a request by state attorneys to issue a stay on part of his ruling last week that invalidated campaign contribution limits approved by Montana voters in 1994.
- Cuomo: Campaign finance reform, heroin plan top priorities Updated: May-24-16 5:20 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday unveiled a new proposal to close a campaign finance loophole linked to Albany's culture of corruption, naming it one of his top legislative priorities as lawmakers enter the final days of their session.
- The Latest: Lynch civil rights key to suit against NC law Updated: May-24-16 5:15 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - The Latest on U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch's visit to highlight her agency's recommendations to the Fayetteville Police Department and the reforms officers have implemented (all times local):
- Ethics commission considers election-season blackout Updated: May-24-16 4:36 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Ethics Commission is considering an election-season blackout on ethics complaints.
- House GOP gives election-year airing to IRS gripes Updated: May-24-16 2:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans gave an election-year airing to their complaints about IRS chief John Koskinen Tuesday, telling a GOP-run House committee that he should be impeached for lying to lawmakers and destroying evidence.
- Ethics Commission: Ex-lawmaker erred in taking Raimondo job Updated: May-24-16 1:42 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Ethics Commission has found probable cause that a former state lawmaker violated the ethics code by accepting a job with Democratic Gov. Gina Raimondo.
- Attorney general: UK violated Kentucky's open records law Updated: May-24-16 12:45 pm
- 'Grey's Anatomy' actor helps produce BET documentary Updated: May-24-16 11:31 am
NEW YORK - Actor Jesse Williams says he sees BET's documentary premiering Thursday on the Black Lives Matter movement as a time capsule capturing the conditions that led to the group's formation.
- 2 students suspended for firing airsoft guns at classmates Updated: May-24-16 11:13 am
POSTVILLE, Iowa - The Postville school superintendent in northeast Iowa says two sixth-graders have been suspended for shooting airsoft guns at five classmates.
- Romanian Senate speaker charged with making false statements Updated: May-24-16 11:12 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors have charged the Senate speaker with making false statements to protect people standing trial in a real estate case involving a prince.
- State board: Baltimore Dev. Corp violated open meetings act Updated: May-24-16 10:43 am
BALTIMORE - A state board says the Baltimore Development Corp. improperly barred the public from meetings about a proposal that the city borrow $535 million to pay for infrastructure projects on land owned by Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank.
- Editorial Roundup: Recent editorials in Oklahoma newspapers Updated: May-24-16 9:16 am
Here are excerpts from recent editorials in Oklahoma newspapers:
- The Latest: White House protests to Vietnam over activists Updated: May-24-16 9:12 am
HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam - The Latest on U.S. President Barack Obama's first visit to Vietnam (all times local):
- Hawaii could be first to put gun owners in federal database Updated: May-24-16 6:42 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii could become the first state in the United States to enter gun owners into an FBI database that will automatically notify police if an island resident is arrested anywhere else in the country.
- Feds to crack down on guns at Atlanta airport checkpoints Updated: May-24-16 4:06 am
ATLANTA - Starting next month, anyone who accidently brings a gun to the security checkpoint at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport will not be protected by a state law and could instead be facing up to a year in jail and a $100,000 fine.
- West Virginia begins allowing concealed guns without permits Updated: May-24-16 3:55 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia now lets people 21 years old and up carry hidden guns without permits or training.
- In tough times, most Palestinians view government as corrupt Updated: May-24-16 3:22 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - A gated community of villas with well-tended flower gardens near the West Bank town of Ramallah may help explain why Palestinians almost universally believe there is corruption in the government of President Mahmoud Abbas.
- Family asks for FBI investigation of 2013 police shooting Updated: May-23-16 10:51 pm
CHICAGO - The family of a teenager shot to death by Chicago police in 2013 is asking for an FBI investigation after seeing surveillance video that captured part of the incident.