- Nevada GOP governor secures unlikely win with tax increase Updated: Jun-02-15 4:12 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada's Republican governor, Brian Sandoval, secured an unlikely victory when the conservative state Legislature approved a huge tax increase at his urging as part of a plan to boost education spending.
- House to dig into Senate GOP bill to overhaul public pension Updated: Jun-02-15 3:05 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A Pennsylvania state House committee will listen to testimony on a Senate Republican plan to end the traditional pension benefit for school and state government employees after the Senate fast-tracked the 410-page bill without a hearing.
- GOP presidential candidates in Florida for economic summit Updated: Jun-02-15 3:05 am
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida - Six Republican presidential candidates or potential candidates will speak at an economic summit organized by Florida Gov. Rick Scott.
- Last-minute budget changes made amid corporate concerns Updated: Jun-02-15 1:23 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers made last-minute changes Monday night to a proposed two-year, $40 billion Democratic budget that had prompted several major employers to sharply criticize proposed tax increases, with two raising the possibility of leaving the state
- GOP Sen. Newton running for N. Carolina attorney general Updated: Jun-01-15 10:19 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Republican state Sen. Buck Newton announced his 2016 bid for attorney general on Monday, portraying himself as one who would confront what many conservatives consider federal overreach while focusing on basics as the state's top lawyer and law enforcement officer.
- Ritz for governor sets up fight for Democratic nomination Updated: Jun-01-15 8:13 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Democrats could face a tough campaign to choose their 2016 nominee for governor as they sense an opening to oust Republican Gov. Mike Pence from office.
- County GOP Committee calls for state treasurer's resignation Updated: Jun-01-15 7:52 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Jefferson County Republican Committee sent a letter Monday asking Republican Arkansas Treasurer Dennis Milligan to resign.
- State House Republicans push Wolf taxes to unanimous defeat Updated: Jun-01-15 7:23 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A measure combining all of Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf's proposed tax increases went down unanimously Monday in the state House, but Republicans and Democrats had much different reasons for voting against it.
- Dayton, House GOP reach tentative deal on education Updated: Jun-01-15 5:50 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton and majority House Republicans came to a tentative deal Monday on education funding, the largest unresolved piece of the state budget fight that has pushed Minnesota toward a potential government shutdown.
- House Democrats release revised state budget plan Updated: Jun-01-15 5:15 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - As a second special legislative session starts its first full week in Washington state, House Democrats on Monday released their latest state budget proposal and negotiations with the Republican Senate moved to the governor's office.
- Bush lauded at Tenn. GOP event, but will state vote follow? Updated: Jun-01-15 5:15 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The speakers at the Tennessee Republican Party fundraiser over the weekend took turns heaping praise on former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, the keynote speaker at the annual Statesmen's Dinner.
- GOP in W.Va. governor's race: Cole likely in; McKinley out Updated: Jun-01-15 5:09 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The 2016 Republican field for West Virginia governor became much clearer Monday, as state Senate President Bill Cole all but jumped in and U.S. Rep. David McKinley said he won't vie for the state's top executive gig.
- Obama muses about his legacy, offers counterpoint to GOP Updated: Jun-01-15 5:08 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is not shy about defining his achievements and casting them in the most positive light, yet he is loath to talk about his "legacy."
- Weighing 2016 presidential bid, Ohio's Kasich to visit Iowa Updated: Jun-01-15 3:22 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) plans to travel to Iowa later this month - a signal that his decision to dive into the 2016 presidential race may be imminent.
- Maine Republicans deeply divided over potential budget deal Updated: Jun-01-15 2:30 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A potential state budget deal crafted by the leaders in Maine's Democrat-controlled House and GOP-led Senate that would lower the sales tax and make it harder for future lawmakers to raise income taxes revealed deep divisions within the Republican Party on Monday.
- Poll shows House GOP support for sales, business tax hikes Updated: Jun-01-15 2:15 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - An informal poll of GOP House members shows modest sales tax increases could be the most popular option for filling the state's budget shortfall.
- Walker says Paul not helped by Patriot Act position Updated: Jun-01-15 12:15 pm
DELAVAN, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker says he does not think Rand Paul's opposition to allowing the National Security Agency to collect Americans' phone records in bulk is not helping the Kentucky senator's presidential run.
- House GOP leader: Premature for House to investigate Hastert Updated: Jun-01-15 11:30 am
WASHINGTON - It would be premature for the House to probe whether former Speaker Dennis Hastert committed any wrongdoing while still in office, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy said Monday.
- Rauner takes to airwaves post-session to criticize Democrats Updated: Jun-01-15 11:08 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner took to the airwaves to criticize Illinois Democrats the morning after the state Legislature passed a spending bill the Republican said he wouldn't sign.
- Italian premier's party claims victory in 5 of 7 regions Updated: Jun-01-15 8:05 am
MILAN - Italian Premier Matteo Renzi's Democratic Party claimed victory Monday in five of seven regions that voted for new leaders, but the real winner was the anti-Europe and once-regional Northern League that showed strong gains nationally.
- Australian opposition party proposes gay marriage law Updated: Jun-01-15 6:13 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's political opposition hopes to harness momentum from the Irish gay marriage referendum after it proposed a law Monday that would recognize same-sex marriages, which the country's conservative prime minister opposes.
- GOP attack on water rule part of wider bid to 'rein in' EPA Updated: Jun-01-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration says a new federal rule regulating small streams and wetlands will protect the drinking water of more than 117 million people in the country.
- Italian premier's Democrats facing loss in key regional race Updated: May-31-15 9:02 pm
ROME - Premier Matteo Renzi's squabbling Democratic Party appeared headed for a stinging defeat in a key race in voting for governorships in several Italian regions, partial counting of ballots indicated Monday.
- Senate roll call vote on NSA surveillance Updated: May-31-15 8:56 pm
The 77-17 roll call on Sunday by which the Senate voted to move ahead and consider the House-passed bill to extend parts of the Patriot Act.
- GOP senators rethink, approve proposed court system budget Updated: May-31-15 8:40 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Some Republican senators have had an overnight change of heart about a proposed budget for the state's court system, allowing it to pass.