- Maine Democrats closing entries for Jefferson-Jackson rename Updated: Sep-03-15 4:05 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Democrats are about to close the window on suggestions for a new name for the party's annual Jefferson-Jackson Dinner.
- Iran deal will survive in Congress despite GOP opposition Updated: Sep-03-15 3:40 am
WASHINGTON - The Iran nuclear deal strongly backed by President Barack Obama and just as ardently opposed by the GOP is now on track to get through Congress.
- W.Va. Democrats' Jefferson-Jackson Dinner set for Oct. 2 Updated: Sep-03-15 3:07 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The West Virginia Democratic Party's biggest annual event will be held next month.
- AP sources: GOP seeks pledge to avert Trump third-party run Updated: Sep-02-15 9:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Seeking to avert a 2016 disaster, the Republican National Committee on Wednesday challenged every GOP presidential candidate to sign a pledge not to undertake a third-party bid under any circumstances.
- Rauner wins labor fight; Illinois House fails override Updated: Sep-02-15 9:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner won a victory over a Democratic majority Wednesday when the Illinois House failed to override his veto of legislation designed to prevent a strike or lockout if union contract negotiations break down.
- Mississippi congressman Harper endorses Kasich for president Updated: Sep-02-15 7:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Republican congressman from Mississippi is endorsing Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) for president.
- Kentucky clerk gets help from GOP state Senate president Updated: Sep-02-15 7:11 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Republican president of the Kentucky state Senate has asked a federal judge to withhold his ruling ordering a county clerk to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Sweeney, Dems push Christie to sign changes to voting law Updated: Sep-02-15 7:07 pm
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - Key New Jersey lawmakers say Gov. Chris Christie should sign legislation to modernize laws governing the state's elections.
- The Latest: GOP Senate president asks for time to change law Updated: Sep-02-15 6:31 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The latest on a county clerk in Kentucky who has repeatedly refused to issue marriage licenses (all times local):
- The Latest: Child care restoration fails in Illinois House Updated: Sep-02-15 6:17 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The latest on action at the state Capitol, where the Illinois House is expected to consider overriding Gov. Bruce Rauner's veto of union-related legislation and other measures (all times local):
- Stephen Colbert one-ups Jeb Bush raffle with 1 of his own Updated: Sep-02-15 6:09 pm
NEW YORK - Score one for Stephen Colbert.
- Rubio touts end to oil-export ban, bemoans EPA in Oklahoma Updated: Sep-02-15 6:04 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The United States should end its ban on crude-oil exports and reduce federal regulations that are stifling an energy industry central to the nation's future economic prosperity, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio said Wednesday to a friendly group of mostly oil and natural gas producers.
- N. Carolina weighing single March 2016 primary for all races Updated: Sep-02-15 4:07 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina legislators are considering whether to move all primary elections next year to March, not just the presidential primaries, key House and Senate leaders said Wednesday.
- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Sep-02-15 1:05 pm
Congress will vote this month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to limit Iran's nuclear program in exchange for hundreds of billions of dollars in relief from international sanctions.
- Duchow wins primary for vacant Wisconsin Assembly seat Updated: Sep-02-15 12:07 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Town of Delafield supervisor has defeated three other Republican challengers in the race for a vacancy in the Wisconsin state Assembly.
- GOP's Rand Paul brings campaign to Maine Updated: Sep-01-15 8:13 pm
FREEPORT, Maine - Hoping for a boost in a state where his father found strong support, Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul took a break from campaigning in New Hampshire to bring his message of smaller government, lower taxes and less intrusion in people's lives to a receptive audience of several hundred boisterous supporters on Tuesday.
- California Assembly Republicans pick leader, delay switch Updated: Sep-01-15 7:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Republicans in the California state Assembly have chosen a new leader, but will delay the transition until next year.
- Marco Rubio visits Sandoval, but didn't discuss endorsement Updated: Sep-01-15 6:15 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio says he met with Gov. Brian Sandoval during his northern Nevada campaign tour, but the two didn't discuss an endorsement.
- Board sends lobbyist contribution question to Legislature Updated: Sep-01-15 5:50 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin election officials asked the Legislature on Tuesday to address whether lobbyists can make contributions to Republican Gov. Scott Walker's presidential candidate and when donations could start.
- GOP presidential hopeful Marco Rubio stopping in Carson City Updated: Sep-01-15 6:27 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio is holding a town hall meeting in Carson City as part of a multi-stop northern Nevada tour.
- SC's Graham filing papers for home state Republican primary Updated: Sep-01-15 6:13 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's Lindsey Graham is making his presidential campaign official in his home state.
- Dems introduce bill to allow gun ban at sports, music venues Updated: Sep-01-15 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Two Democrats are introducing legislation to allow all firearms to be banned at major sports and music venues.
- Singapore's ruling party in unprecedented electoral contest Updated: Sep-01-15 2:55 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore's political parties officially started campaigning Tuesday for general elections in which, for the first time in the island-nation's history, the ruling People's Action Party faces contests in all available seats.
- Christie tells Fallon he might 'go nuclear' in next debate Updated: Sep-01-15 12:07 am
NEW YORK - Chris Christie says he's thinking of taking a more aggressive approach during the next Republican presidential primary debate.
- Ohio Gov. Kasich opposes changing name of Mount McKinley Updated: Aug-31-15 9:31 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Monday that he disagrees with President Barack Obama's decision to rename Mount McKinley as Denali, the traditional Alaska Native name.