- McCarthy withdraws candidacy for speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 12:44 pm
WASHINGTON - In a stunning move, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy on Thursday withdrew his candidacy for speaker of the U.S. House.
- Rubio's presidential bid boosted by secret-money commercials Updated: Oct-08-15 12:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Voters are beginning to learn about Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio.
- GOP head calls 2-term councilor 'career politician' Updated: Oct-08-15 11:48 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's Republican Party chairwoman is calling Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Colin Van Ostern a "career politician with few real life accomplishments."
- Capitol Hill Buzz: GOP delegate gets vote for Speaker race Updated: Oct-08-15 11:45 am
WASHINGTON - It's a long, long way from Pago Pago to the halls of Congress, and Aumua Amata Coleman Radewagen, a Republican delegate from American Samoa is rarely sighted in the halls of the Capitol. She doesn't have a vote on the floor on behalf of her 55,000 constituents halfway around the globe.
- Planned Parenthood responds to Oregon Republicans Updated: Oct-08-15 11:03 am
SALEM, Oregon - The head of Planned Parenthood of the Columbia Willamette responded to questions from Republican state representatives about the collection of tissue after abortions.
- House election: Republicans challenge McCarthy for speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 10:12 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is the front-runner in the race to become the next speaker, but he faces two Republican opponents who are trying to draw some of his support.
- Miss. governor up with TV ads, but no air time yet for Dem Updated: Oct-08-15 5:40 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant's campaign is running its first TV commercials this election season, but a new analysis shows his Democratic challenger, truck driver Robert Gray, hasn't bought any air time.
- CU chancellor defends hosting GOP presidential debate Updated: Oct-08-15 5:02 am
BOULDER, Colorado - University of Colorado's chancellor is defending his decision to host the Republican presidential debate after students demanded the school pull its involvement if organizers refused to increase the number of tickets for students.
- Chicago Democrats to meet to fill seat of late Rep. Golar Updated: Oct-08-15 4:05 am
CHICAGO - Democrats have started the process of choosing a replacement for the late state Rep. Esther Golar of Chicago.
- Speaker-in-waiting spent years cultivating GOP lawmakers Updated: Oct-08-15 3:51 am
WASHINGTON - If House Republicans had a yearbook, Kevin McCarthy might be their Mr. Congeniality.
- Senate Democrats preparing legislative package to curb guns Updated: Oct-07-15 11:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats are preparing a legislative push to curb guns, a week after a mass shooting at an Oregon community college refocused attention on the nation's toll of firearms deaths.
- Suu Kyi says she will lead gov't if party wins Myanmar polls Updated: Oct-07-15 11:48 pm
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi says if her party wins the upcoming general elections she will lead the country from behind the scenes - circumventing a clause in the constitution that bars her from the presidency.
- Correction: Missouri Governor-Brunner story Updated: Oct-07-15 10:45 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - In a story Oct. 5 about John Brunner's entry into the 2016 race for Missouri governor, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Brunner so far had donated at least $87,600 to an exploratory committee. He had donated about $62,600, according to the latest campaign finance records available.
- GOP plan to take early childhood funds opposed by board Updated: Oct-07-15 7:33 pm
PHOENIX - The board overseeing Arizona's early childhood development program came out Wednesday in opposition to a plan from Republican legislative leaders to take some of its funding to support K-12 education.
- House Roll Call: a special panel on Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-07-15 6:39 pm
The 242-184 roll call Wednesday by which the House created a special panel to investigate Planned Parenthood and its procurement of fetal tissue.
- Rauner tries to put pressure on Democrats for budget deal Updated: Oct-07-15 6:03 pm
OAK LAWN, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner sought Wednesday to ramp up pressure on majority Democrats over Illinois' unprecedented budget stalemate, repeating calls for lawmakers to work with him to pass legislation he says would save businesses and taxpayers money or approve a tax hike without his support.
- House OKs special panel to probe Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-07-15 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led House voted Wednesday to create a special panel to investigate Planned Parenthood and its procurement of fetal tissue as the GOP continued pressing an issue that has galvanized conservatives since secret videos surfaced this summer.
- If he runs, Biden would be only Dem backing Asia trade deal Updated: Oct-07-15 5:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden became the only prospective or current Democratic presidential candidate supporting the Trans-Pacific Partnership on Wednesday as Hillary Rodham Clinton declared her opposition.
- House conservatives oppose McCarthy, search for alternative Updated: Oct-07-15 5:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The House's most hard-edged conservatives are anxious to derail Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's bid to become speaker, but they're outnumbered and their chosen candidate lacks support. That leaves the Californian the heavy favorite when Republicans pick their candidate to replace John Boehner on Thursday.
- Ex-Gov. Paterson to step down as chairman of NY Democrats Updated: Oct-07-15 4:08 pm
ALBANY, New York - Former New York Gov. David Paterson is stepping down from his post as the leader of the state's Democrats.
- GOP chairman on McCarthy's comments: 'Kevin screwed up' Updated: Oct-07-15 3:17 pm
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks said Wednesday that House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy "screwed up" when he suggested the probe was useful in driving down Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's poll numbers.
- Republicans introduce bill reforming elections board Updated: Oct-07-15 2:56 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Assembly Republicans have unveiled a bill that would dramatically reform the state elections board.
- GOP lawmakers want gender restrictions in school bathrooms Updated: Oct-07-15 2:33 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Two Republican legislators are proposing a law that would bar transgender students from using the locker room or bathroom assigned to the gender with which they identify.
- Supporters of embattled Ex-Im Bank move to bypass GOP foes Updated: Oct-07-15 1:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The federal Export-Import Bank is showing some signs of life.
- Clinton racks up elected Dems in Georgia Updated: Oct-07-15 12:35 pm
ATLANTA - Presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton is gathering support from a long list of prominent Georgia Democrats.