- Obama re-ignites fight over drawing Illinois' political maps Updated: Feb-14-16 10:42 am
CHICAGO - At first blush, it may have seemed like a rare moment of bipartisanship at the Illinois Capitol: Democratic President Barack Obama called for changes to a process for drawing political maps that too often favors one party, bringing Republican lawmakers to their feet.
- Voter registration, litigation focus of "Moral March" Updated: Feb-13-16 4:37 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Leaders of an annual march and rally to press for what they call progressive policies in North Carolina urged demonstrators Saturday to register voters and help them overcome hurdles at the ballot box, including photo ID.
- The Latest: Barber says civil rights movement will win Updated: Feb-13-16 2:20 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on the annual "Moral March on Raleigh," held Saturday in downtown Raleigh (all times local):
- Awaiting redistricting decision, lawmakers plan hearings Updated: Feb-12-16 7:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina legislative leaders unveiled Friday a speedy schedule to redraw congressional boundaries should the U.S. Supreme Court refuse to block a lower-court decision requiring a new map be approved by next week.
- GOP stunned Senate hopeful may be short of ballot signatures Updated: Feb-11-16 3:57 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Two of Indiana's top GOP lawmakers said Thursday that they were surprised to learn Congressman Todd Young may have failed to meet a state ballot requirement in his U.S. Senate campaign, with the Republican leader of the state Senate saying it may be "one of the most colossal mistakes I've ever seen."
- More waiting on congressional maps with Roberts' request Updated: Feb-10-16 5:45 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina voters and legislators will be kept guessing for at least several more days on whether the state's current congressional districts can be used in the March 15 primary or have to be redrawn before votes are cast.
- GOP state lawmaker enters 4th Congressional District race Updated: Feb-10-16 3:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Republican state representative from Bossier City is running for Louisiana's congressional seat representing northwest Louisiana.
- Special election held for 2 vacancies in Legislature Updated: Feb-10-16 1:52 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Unofficial election results show voters in the Twin Cities suburbs have picked two Republicans to fill vacancies at the Minnesota Legislature.
- North Carolina takes map delay request to US Supreme Court Updated: Feb-09-16 7:25 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The federal court that struck down two majority black congressional districts in North Carolina refused Tuesday to delay its order demanding that new boundaries be drawn in barely a week's time.
- The Latest: North Carolina asking US Supreme Court for delay Updated: Feb-09-16 6:12 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on appeals involving a federal court decision directing North Carolina legislators to redraw congressional maps (all times local):
- Olson enters race for Minnesota House Updated: Feb-09-16 11:49 am
DULUTH, Minnesota - DFL'er Liz Olson is the first candidate to enter the race for the Minnesota House District 7B seat.
- GOP Rep. Randy Forbes said he's switching districts Updated: Feb-08-16 3:29 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Facing a difficult road to re-election thanks to a new congressional map, Republican U.S. Rep. Randy Forbes announced Monday that he is switching to a more GOP-friendly district.
- GOP opts for nominating convention in 5th District Updated: Feb-07-16 3:26 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Republicans in Virginia's 5th District will choose their nominee for Congress in a convention instead of an open primary.
- Florida Legislature wants to be dropped from federal lawsuit Updated: Feb-02-16 5:58 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Republican-led Florida Legislature is asking a federal judge to dismiss the House and Senate from an ongoing lawsuit challenging the state's congressional map.
- Lee, Roberson have money lead in Nevada House primaries Updated: Feb-01-16 8:37 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The state of play in Nevada's four congressional races is coming into sharper focus after candidates filed quarterly financial reports over the weekend with the Federal Election Commission. Here's a look at who's ahead in the campaign money game:
- Supreme Court rejects GOP request to delay new district map Updated: Feb-01-16 5:51 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The U.S. Supreme Court has denied a request from Virginia's congressional Republicans to put a new congressional map on hold and allow the 2016 elections to proceed under the old boundaries.
- Roberson leads Republican rivals in House fundraising Updated: Feb-01-16 2:05 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - State Senate leader Michael Roberson is leading his Republican rivals in fundraising for Nevada's 3rd Congressional District seat.
- House committee OKs bill to elect redistricting commission Updated: Feb-01-16 12:59 pm
PHOENIX - A House committee has passed a measure that would let voters decide who serves on the state commission that draws state and congressional legislative districts.
- Iconoclastic presidential hopefuls worry Dems, GOP in House Updated: Jan-28-16 11:39 am
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders are energizing voters as the first balloting of the 2016 presidential race nears. The maverick contenders also are alarming political operatives, fearing the damage each could wreak on House candidates come November.
- Republican Lujan elected to San Antonio Texas House vacancy Updated: Jan-26-16 10:20 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican John Lujan (LOO'-hahn) has defeated Democrat Tomas (toh-MAHS') Uresti (yoo-REHS'-tee) to win the vacant Texas House District 118 seat, succeeding Democrat Joe Farias as representative of the San Antonio-area district.
- Hogan proposes nonpartisan panel for redistricting Updated: Jan-26-16 4:38 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Gov. Larry Hogan is proposing a constitutional amendment to take politics out of how congressional districts are drawn.
- Solid waste district bill advances in Indiana Legislature Updated: Jan-26-16 12:28 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A bill that would allow county commissioners to eliminate solid waste districts is advancing in the Indiana Legislature.
- Pennsylvania congressman's brother wants to succeed him Updated: Jan-21-16 7:31 pm
DOYLESTOWN, Pennsylvania - A former FBI agent says he'll run for his brother's seat in Congress in eastern Pennsylvania's highly competitive 8th District.
- Herring opposes delay of new congressional map Updated: Jan-21-16 5:21 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Democratic Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring is asking the U.S. Supreme Court not to put a new congressional map for the state on hold and allow the 2016 elections to proceed under the new boundaries.
- Kemper files for Congress against Republican Andy Barr Updated: Jan-21-16 1:13 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Republican U.S. Rep. Andy Barr will face a different Democratic challenger in November from the one who ran in 2014, but the strategy appears to be the same.