- Legislative primaries to set stage for November Updated: May-30-16 11:14 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Two key Democrats in the Wisconsin Senate face surprise challengers from their own party as the Legislature's Aug. 9 primary looms.
- Cambodian police reach deal with opposition on protest Updated: May-30-16 7:57 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Police in Cambodia blocked an opposition protest march on Monday, but avoided possible violence by allowing a convoy of opposition lawmakers to drive through to present a petition complaining of government intimidation to the king.
- Election-year politics dim hopes of Illinois budget deal Updated: May-29-16 10:30 am
CHICAGO - The emails started arriving as heads were still spinning in the state Capitol over Democrats ramming through a state budget proposal. The missives from Republicans on Wednesday accused the majority party of approving a plan that's out of balance by $7 billion.
- Up in smoke: group ends Ohio medical marijuana ballot drive Updated: May-28-16 12:45 pm
CINCINNATI - A group Saturday ended its effort to put a medical marijuana issue on Ohio's general election ballot.
- Ohio bill sets rules for last-minute orders on voting hours Updated: May-28-16 11:58 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A bill headed to Ohio's governor could make it harder for people to get a court order to keep polling places open late on Election Day in the key swing state.
- With retention idea blocked, Supreme Court primary goes on Updated: May-28-16 11:09 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - There will be one race on every ballot in North Carolina's previously unscheduled June 7 primary because the state Supreme Court couldn't agree whether a law that led a colleague to seek re-election through a new method complied with the state constitution.
- In business and politics, Trump stokes internal rivalries Updated: May-28-16 2:38 am
WASHINGTON - When Donald Trump acquired a pair of Atlantic City casinos in the mid-1980s, he pitted his managers against each other in a ferocious competition over everything from booking entertainers to attracting high-rolling gamblers.
- Will Trump continue to dominate media in 1-on-1 match? Updated: May-27-16 11:21 am
NEW YORK - During the height of the primary season, a sense of Donald Trump overload in the media united a divided electorate.
- Trump has rally in Billings after securing nomination Updated: May-26-16 8:43 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A crowd of thousands, buoyed by word that Donald Trump had just locked down the Republican presidential nomination, gathered in a Billings arena Thursday to cheer the New York businessman and his unlikely ascent to the top of his party.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- 5 Arkansas counties to receive new voting equipment Updated: May-25-16 11:55 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Five Arkansas counties will receive new voting equipment ahead of the general election this fall.
- The Latest: Pence says he's set to debate Democratic ticket Updated: May-25-16 11:05 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Democratic Indiana gubernatorial candidate John Gregg's running mate announcement (all times local):
- Macedonia constitutional court annuls parliament dissolution Updated: May-25-16 7:06 am
SKOPJE, Macedonia - Macedonia's constitutional court has ruled that a decision to dissolve parliament to pave the way for early general elections was unconstitutional, and has formally annulled the move.
- Protesters overrun barricades as Trump rallies thousands Updated: May-25-16 12:31 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Despite the violent outbursts of protesters who overran barricades and charged police officers outside his rally, Republican Donald Trump on Tuesday told thousands of supporters he was glad he stopped in New Mexico and he vowed to be back before the general election in November.
- Georgia primary voters stick with challenged incumbents Updated: May-24-16 11:55 pm
Georgia Republicans who fervently backed Donald Trump for president a few months ago ended up sticking with political insiders Tuesday as incumbents swept to victory in contested primary elections across the state.
- The Latest: Barksdale wins Democratic Senate primary Updated: May-24-16 11:49 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on Georgia's primary elections (all times local):
- The Latest: Albuquerque police use smoke, pepper spray Updated: May-24-16 11:23 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Latest on campaign stops in New Mexico by Bill Clinton and Donald Trump (all times local):
- US appeals court revisits Texas voter ID law Updated: May-24-16 7:48 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Whether a strict Texas voter ID law should be struck down, upheld, or, perhaps, adjusted is now up to 15 federal appeals court judges.
- Veteran Springfield state Rep. Benjamin Swan to retire Updated: May-24-16 12:12 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - A long-time state legislator from Springfield is calling it quits - but there's a chance his seat could remain in the family.
- Voter-ID proposal to go before Missouri voters Nov. 8 Updated: May-23-16 6:39 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri voters will decide Nov. 8 whether to amend the state Constitution to allow lawmakers to add voter-identification requirements.
- EU,OSCE watching changes at Serbia regional broadcaster Updated: May-22-16 11:45 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - The European Union and OSCE missions in Serbia say they have "taken note" of recent changes at a regional public broadcaster that followed last month's general elections and sparked accusations of government pressure on the media.
- Illinois GOP calls for unity as some tiptoe around Trump Updated: May-21-16 5:36 pm
PEORIA, Illinois - Illinois Republicans cheered calls for unity at the party's state convention on Saturday even as some top elected officials tiptoed around the name likely to top the GOP ticket: Donald Trump.
- In swing state suburbs, white women are skeptical of Trump Updated: May-21-16 1:05 pm
WESTERVILLE, Ohio - For Donald Trump to win the White House in November, he'll need the votes of women like lifelong Republican Wendy Emery.
- After Democrats' primary, some see a need for fence mending Updated: May-21-16 9:57 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania's primary polls looked grim in mid-March for Katie McGinty, the candidate recruited by Democratic heavy hitters in Washington in their multimillion-dollar quest to recapture the U.S. Senate majority.
- Comanche Nation committee votes to hold do-over election Updated: May-20-16 5:24 pm
LAWTON, Oklahoma - The Comanche Nation Business Committee has decided to hold a do-over general election for the Lawton-based tribe's agency.