- Pro-EU ad urges UK youth to get 'votin,' leaves some fumin Updated: May-24-16 12:11 pm
LONDON - Campaigners for Britain to remain in the European Union have been mocked online for a video urging young people to vote in next month's membership referendum.
- Top UK court rules against expats over EU referendum voting Updated: May-24-16 8:51 am
LONDON - Britain's Supreme Court has rejected a bid by two Britons who live abroad to vote in next month's referendum on European Union membership.
- British pound up as markets see lower risk of EU exit Updated: May-24-16 7:41 am
LONDON - The British pound posted strong gains Tuesday as market expectations waned somewhat of a British exit from the European Union, so-called Brexit.
- Spartanburg voters to decide on Sunday alcohol retail sales Updated: May-24-16 7:20 am
SPARTANBURG, South Carolina - Spartanburg voters will get to decide in November whether to allow Sunday some alcohol sales in stores.
- UK's David Cameron warns of recession if Britain leaves EU Updated: May-23-16 6:44 am
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron has warned that Britain would be plunged into a "do-it-yourself" recession if it votes to leave the European Union in the June 23 referendum.
- GMO mosquito referendum now open to all Florida Keys voters Updated: May-18-16 9:47 am
KEY WEST, Florida - All Florida Keys residents will have a say in whether genetically modified mosquitoes should be released in their island chain.
- Venezuela opposition rejects Maduro's state of emergency Updated: May-17-16 7:06 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan opposition leaders are rejecting a 60-day state of emergency declared by President Nicolas Maduro.
- Bill to strip Turkish legislators of immunity clears hurdle Updated: May-17-16 3:42 pm
ISTANBUL - A significant majority in Turkey's parliament voted on Tuesday in favor of a divisive, government-backed constitutional amendment that would strip legislators of their immunity from prosecution, increasing the chances that it becomes law.
- Virginia Beach voters to weigh in on light rail this fall Updated: May-16-16 1:13 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - Virginia Beach voters will get to weigh in on whether the city will pay to extend the light rail from Norfolk to Virginia Beach.
- Maduro threatens to seize idle Venezuela plants, jail owners Updated: May-15-16 1:04 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - President Nicolas Maduro threatened Saturday to take over idle factories and jail their owners following a decree granting him expanded powers to act in the face of a deep economic crisis.
- Opponents of Arizona campaign finance law petition for vote Updated: May-13-16 8:39 pm
PHOENIX - Opponents of a new Arizona law that will allow more anonymous spending in state elections will begin collecting signatures Saturday in an effort to let voters weigh in on the law.
- Aquinos' legacy clouded by Duterte win, support for a Marcos Updated: May-11-16 7:38 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine leader Benigno Aquino III had called this week's election a referendum on his "straight path" style of reformist governance, but his candidate lost by millions of votes to a shoot-from-the-lip mayor.
- Correction: Vermont Legislature story Updated: May-07-16 10:38 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - In a story May 5 about in the Vermont Legislature, The Associated Press erroneously reported that a forestry-related bill gave landowners some protection from neighbors' nuisance lawsuits when they do logging on their land. That provision was pulled from the bill before passage.
- The Latest: Bill easing dark money rules passes House Updated: May-07-16 12:39 am
PHOENIX - The Latest on a bill that would ease rules on anonymous political spending (all times local):
- Labour's Sadiq Khan elected 1st Muslim London mayor Updated: May-06-16 7:55 pm
LONDON - Sadiq Khan became London's first Muslim mayor Saturday, as voters rejected attempts to taint him with links to extremism and handed a decisive victory to the bus driver's son from south London.
- House committee to hold hearing on DC home rule Updated: May-05-16 2:11 pm
WASHINGTON - A House committee has scheduled a hearing on District of Columbia home rule in the wake of the city's decision not to submit its budget to Congress for approval.
- Council Bluffs voters approve bond measure for police HQ Updated: May-04-16 7:42 am
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - Council Bluffs voters have approved a bond referendum for a new, $20 million police headquarters.
- Oklahoma Supreme Court invalidates retail liquor proposal Updated: May-03-16 12:06 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Supreme Court on Tuesday invalidated an initiative petition that calls for a statewide vote on whether to allow wine to be sold in grocery stores.
- Venezuela opposition delivers petitions to remove president Updated: May-02-16 6:09 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The opposition turned in petitions to Venezuelan electoral authorities Monday that it said carried signatures of 1.8 million voters seeking President Nicolas Maduro's removal in a nationwide referendum.
- The Latest: Maine boosts availability of overdose antidote Updated: Apr-29-16 6:30 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Latest on veto votes by the Maine Legislature (all times local):
- British Court rejects bid from expats for voting rights Updated: Apr-28-16 6:41 am
LONDON - A British court has ruled that Britons who have lived abroad for more than 15 years do not have the right to vote in the June 23 referendum on Britain's continued membership in the European Union.
- Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to Maine ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A referendum proposal to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine has met the threshold to appear on the November ballot, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap said Wednesday.
- The Latest: Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 2:56 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - The Latest on a referendum proposal to legalize marijuana in Maine (all times local):
- Thailand's military government cracks down on opponents Updated: Apr-27-16 10:22 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's military government on Wednesday turned up the pressure on its opponents, filing a legal complaint against critics of a proposed new constitution and detaining 10 people in connection with social media postings.
- GOP offers minimum wage hike; Democrats call it a diversion Updated: Apr-26-16 5:23 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republican lawmakers are pushing a bill to hike the minimum wage this summer, but Democrats say it's a ploy to undermine a more ambitious pay increase that voters are set to decide on the November state ballot.