- Sadiq Khan leads London race, could be 1st Muslim mayor Updated: May-06-16 2:41 pm
LONDON - Labour Party politician Sadiq Khan, the son of a bus driver from Pakistan, led London's mayoral race Friday, opening a lead over Conservative rival Zac Goldsmith that left him poised to be the city's first Muslim mayor.
- House committee to hold hearing on DC home rule Updated: May-05-16 2:11 pm
WASHINGTON - A House committee has scheduled a hearing on District of Columbia home rule in the wake of the city's decision not to submit its budget to Congress for approval.
- Council Bluffs voters approve bond measure for police HQ Updated: May-04-16 7:42 am
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - Council Bluffs voters have approved a bond referendum for a new, $20 million police headquarters.
- House kills pot legalization, referendum, decriminalization Updated: May-03-16 8:34 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont House on Tuesday gave those hoping to make the state the first to legalize marijuana by legislation rather than referendum a major buzzkill.
- Oklahoma Supreme Court invalidates retail liquor proposal Updated: May-03-16 12:06 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Supreme Court on Tuesday invalidated an initiative petition that calls for a statewide vote on whether to allow wine to be sold in grocery stores.
- Commerce tax foes, defenders argue in Nevada Supreme Court Updated: May-02-16 9:02 pm
LAS VEGAS - Lawyers on opposite sides of a new tax on businesses argued before the Nevada Supreme Court on Monday about whether the language and budgetary impact of a proposed tax-repeal measure should keep it off the November ballot.
- Venezuela opposition delivers petitions to remove president Updated: May-02-16 6:09 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The opposition turned in petitions to Venezuelan electoral authorities Monday that it said carried signatures of 1.8 million voters seeking President Nicolas Maduro's removal in a nationwide referendum.
- The Latest: Maine boosts availability of overdose antidote Updated: Apr-29-16 6:30 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Latest on veto votes by the Maine Legislature (all times local):
- British Court rejects bid from expats for voting rights Updated: Apr-28-16 6:41 am
LONDON - A British court has ruled that Britons who have lived abroad for more than 15 years do not have the right to vote in the June 23 referendum on Britain's continued membership in the European Union.
- Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to Maine ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A referendum proposal to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine has met the threshold to appear on the November ballot, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap said Wednesday.
- The Latest: Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 2:56 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - The Latest on a referendum proposal to legalize marijuana in Maine (all times local):
- Thailand's military government cracks down on opponents Updated: Apr-27-16 10:22 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's military government on Wednesday turned up the pressure on its opponents, filing a legal complaint against critics of a proposed new constitution and detaining 10 people in connection with social media postings.
- GOP offers minimum wage hike; Democrats call it a diversion Updated: Apr-26-16 5:23 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republican lawmakers are pushing a bill to hike the minimum wage this summer, but Democrats say it's a ploy to undermine a more ambitious pay increase that voters are set to decide on the November state ballot.
- Venezuela court blocks bid to cut short president's term Updated: Apr-25-16 10:08 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's supreme court has struck down an attempt by the opposition to cut short President Nicolas Maduros' term in office, ruling that a proposed constitutional amendment to that effect cannot be applied retroactively.
- Without a referendum, Vermont may lag in push to OK pot Updated: Apr-24-16 9:46 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The cartoon joint, bruised and battered to represent a bill to legalize marijuana in Vermont, laments that "they're gutting me in the House." A smoother, happier joint, representing Massachusetts, replies, "Dude, I'm serious! You gotta try a hit of this citizen's initiative stuff!"
- Maricopa County prints Spanish language ballot with error Updated: Apr-22-16 7:46 pm
PHOENIX - The Spanish language version of the Maricopa County ballot for the May 17 statewide special election contains a misprint that will require postcards to be mailed to 1.3 million early ballot recipients.
- Romania party chief gets 2-year suspended sentence for fraud Updated: Apr-22-16 3:10 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court on Friday handed a two-year suspended prison sentence to the chairman of Romania's main political party for voting fraud in a referendum to impeach Romania's former president.
- Property tax-freeze champ Rauner says House plan not enough Updated: Apr-21-16 5:38 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner says a House-approved property-tax freeze doesn't go far enough.
- Ducey opponent Fred DuVal backing Proposition 123 Updated: Apr-20-16 8:46 pm
PHOENIX - Republican Gov. Doug Ducey's Democratic opponent in the 2014 governor's race joined with him Wednesday to support a voter referendum that will boost school funding.
- Chilean ex-President Aylwin dies; led return to democracy Updated: Apr-19-16 1:11 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Patricio Aylwin, a lanky law professor who played a decisive role in restoring Chile's democracy after 17 years of brutal dictatorship and was later elected president, died on Tuesday. He was 97.
- Italian referendum on oil concessions fails to reach quorum Updated: Apr-17-16 6:50 pm
MILAN - Italian Premier Matteo Renzi says the jobs of oil workers have been preserved by the failure of a referendum that aimed to curtail the duration of existing drilling concessions in territorial waters.
- Delaware lawmakers eye voting by mail for school elections Updated: Apr-13-16 6:08 pm
DOVER, Delaware - A bill mandating that all school elections in Delaware be conducted by mail has run into a roadblock in the Senate.
- UK decides Vote Leave group will lead 'out of EU' campaign Updated: Apr-13-16 11:21 am
LONDON - Britain's electoral commission has decided the Vote Leave group will be designated as the standard bearer for those pushing for Britain's exit from the 28-nation European Union in a June 23 referendum.
- Marijuana referendum bill dies Updated: Apr-13-16 4:54 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A bill that would have allowed Tennesseans to weigh in on whether to decriminalize possession of low-level amounts of marijuana has failed in the Legislature.
- Sudan holds Darfur referendum that US says undermines peace Updated: Apr-11-16 2:47 pm
CAIRO - Residents in Sudan's western region of Darfur began voting Monday on whether to unify the region's five states, in a referendum the U.S. said would "undermine the peace process."