- FIFA candidates head to Miami to meet CONCACAF in crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 11:07 pm
The five FIFA presidential candidates meet in Miami on Friday with the election's most inscrutable voters who are deep in their own leadership race amid a financial crisis.
- Congress gives final OK to banning local Internet taxes Updated: Feb-11-16 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress voted Thursday to permanently bar state and local governments from taxing access to the Internet, as lawmakers leapt at an election-year chance to demonstrate their opposition to imposing levies on online service.
- NAACP, Common Cause sue over cuts from Georgia voter list Updated: Feb-11-16 5:32 pm
ATLANTA - The Georgia NAACP and Common Cause Georgia filed a lawsuit this week against Secretary of State Brian Kemp, arguing that his office has illegally eliminated people from the state's registered voter list.
- Despite litigation, North Carolina voter ID begins March 3 Updated: Feb-11-16 4:34 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The future of voter ID in North Carolina ultimately will be resolved by the courts as lawsuits claiming racial discrimination are pending, but the litigation hasn't changed the fact the photo identification mandate will begin statewide in three weeks.
- Groups decry US election official acting on citizenship rule Updated: Feb-11-16 4:07 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - More than 30 advocacy groups are asking a federal elections official to withdraw changes made to a national form requiring residents of Kansas, Alabama and Georgia to provide proof of U.S. citizenship in order to register to vote.
- Election board rejects early voting at Winston-Salem school Updated: Feb-11-16 7:58 am
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - The North Carolina State Board of Elections is supporting an early voting plan that excludes the campus of Winston-Salem State University.
- Voter registration deadline looms for presidential primaries Updated: Feb-11-16 4:01 am
PHOENIX - People wanting to cast a ballot in Arizona's upcoming presidential primaries face a Feb. 22 deadline for registering to vote.
- Clinton struggles to win over younger women Updated: Feb-11-16 3:35 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - For young women, political revolution is currently trumping the idea of a Madame President.
- Chicago man sues to try to get on Mississippi primary ballot Updated: Feb-10-16 8:16 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court is considering a challenge by a Chicago businessman who's trying to get listed on the state's March 8 Democratic primary ballot for president.
- Idaho panel backs proposal to move school board elections Updated: Feb-10-16 6:02 pm
BOISE, Idaho - An Idaho panel has introduced a legislative proposal that would move school board elections from May in odd years to November in even years.
- AP News Guide: A big validation for Sanders, Trump Updated: Feb-10-16 3:42 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - It's getting harder to shake off Donald Trump as just a hot-air balloon and Bernie Sanders as a pie-in-the-sky political revolutionary.
- Senate approves online voter registration bill Updated: Feb-09-16 11:17 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Senate passed a bill Tuesday that would allow Wisconsin residents to register to vote online, putting the state on track to join 30 other states that offer online registration.
- Exit of California Senate candidate could help ailing GOP Updated: Feb-09-16 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The sudden withdrawal of one of the Republican candidates in California's U.S. Senate race could help a party that's been battered in recent statewide elections, although Democrats remain favorites to hold the seat now occupied by Sen. Barbara Boxer.
- North Carolina takes map delay request to US Supreme Court Updated: Feb-09-16 7:25 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The federal court that struck down two majority black congressional districts in North Carolina refused Tuesday to delay its order demanding that new boundaries be drawn in barely a week's time.
- Iowa high court to consider state's ban on voting by felons Updated: Feb-09-16 2:28 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - In a major voting rights case, the Iowa Supreme Court will consider whether to relax the state's lifetime ban on voting by convicted felons.
- Merrill proposes automatic voter registration at DMV Updated: Feb-08-16 5:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Secretary of the State Denise Merrill wants people who are doing business with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles to be automatically registered to vote.
- Voter ID requirements head to Missouri Senate floor Updated: Feb-08-16 5:11 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Two proposals aimed at requiring Missourians to show photo ID before voting are heading to the Senate floor.
- Idaho county to use upgraded voting system for 2016 election Updated: Feb-08-16 10:40 am
BOISE, Idaho - A county in southwestern Idaho has updated its voting equipment in anticipation of the 2016 presidential election.
- Attorney General to prosecute case against poll workers Updated: Feb-08-16 7:56 am
BUDE, Mississippi - The Attorney General's Office has taken over the prosecution in a voting fraud case filed last year against five southwestern Mississippi poll workers.
- Monday is deadline to register to vote in Virginia primaries Updated: Feb-08-16 3:01 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginians who aren't registered to vote but want to cast ballots in the March 1 presidential primary need to act fast.
- Kansas caucuses show party differences in voting approaches Updated: Feb-07-16 12:22 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Republicans and Democrats are preparing for March 5 presidential caucuses amid questions about voter registration rules and with several thousand potential voters who have tried to register unable to cast a ballot in the 2016 elections because they haven't provided proof of citizenship.
- Haiti leader departs as he came: amid uncertainty, disorder Updated: Feb-06-16 7:18 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Michel Martelly came to office promising a stronger Haiti following a messy election that provoked widespread skepticism. He is due to leave power Sunday at the close of his five-year term with few accomplishments and a legacy clouded by a new political crisis.
- Registration deadline nears for Massachusetts primary Updated: Feb-06-16 2:00 pm
BOSTON - Election officials in Massachusetts are reminding residents of an upcoming voter registration deadline.
- Washington bill seeks partial automatic voter registration Updated: Feb-06-16 11:41 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - Months after Washington state saw record low voter turnout, several lawmakers and Secretary of State Kim Wyman say they want to help increase engagement with automatic voter registration for some.
- Outreach planned on new federal voter registration rule Updated: Feb-06-16 8:01 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's secretary of state says his office is preparing a public outreach campaign about a new requirement in federal voter registration forms.