- Moderate Republican lawmakers have money lead over tax foes Updated: May-31-16 7:57 pm
LAS VEGAS - Republican lawmakers who supported Gov. Brian Sandoval's $1.4 billion tax package in 2015 outraised their anti-tax Republican challengers so far this year as they head toward Nevada's June 14 primary.
- GOP lawmakers seek special session on campaign financing Updated: May-31-16 7:31 pm
HELENA, Montana - A group of Republican lawmakers wants the Legislature to hold a special session in August to consider raising campaign contribution limits to be more in line with those in nearby states - or abolishing them altogether.
- State judge dominates money race in bid for Supreme Court Updated: May-31-16 7:17 pm
HELENA, Montana - Outside, independent groups have long been expected to pour money into a three-way race for an open seat on the Montana Supreme Court, but that money has yet to materialize as the June 7 primary approaches. Even so, lots of cash is already being raised and spent by the candidates themselves.
- Elections spokesman faulted for releasing de Blasio report Updated: May-31-16 7:03 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's inspector general on Tuesday criticized a state Board of Elections spokesman for releasing an investigative report about New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio to a newspaper.
- GOP's Portman releases TV ads in US Senate race in Ohio Updated: May-31-16 5:16 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - U.S. Sen. Rob Portman touts his efforts to tackle heroin addiction in the first statewide television ads of his 2016 re-election campaign to be aired beginning Wednesday.
- Audit: Portland should bill for services to campaign visits Updated: May-31-16 4:04 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Portland should follow its current policy and charge for police and other services provided when presidential campaigns visit the city, according to a report released Tuesday by the city's auditor.
- Philippine president-elect offers bounties for drug lords Updated: May-31-16 12:46 pm
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine president-elect said Tuesday he will pay bounties to police or military officials who capture suspected drug lords "dead or alive," adding that there is enough reward money to leave "100 persons dead."
- Ex-President Bill Clinton to campaign in Las Cruces Thursday Updated: May-31-16 10:42 am
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - Former President Bill Clinton will campaign in New Mexico this week on behalf of his wife's campaign for the Democratic president nomination.
- On cutting-edge voter data, Trump critically behind Clinton Updated: May-31-16 4:32 am
PHILADELPHIA - Donald Trump trails Hillary Clinton by months, even years, in using fast-evolving digital campaigning to win over voters, data specialists working with the GOP say.
- Ventura says he won't run for president in 2016 Updated: May-30-16 10:05 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura says he won't run for president.
- Clinton planning Boston fundraiser with rocker Jon Bon Jovi Updated: May-30-16 2:16 pm
BOSTON - Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton is planning a fundraiser in Boston with rocker Jon Bon Jovi.
- Hilary Clinton marches in hometown Memorial Day parade Updated: May-30-16 1:53 pm
CHAPPAQUA, New York - Democratic presidential front-runner Hilary Clinton has marched in her hometown Memorial Day parade in a New York City suburb.
- As in US, Trump draws strong reactions in China Updated: May-30-16 12:01 pm
BEIJING - China features prominently in the rhetoric of presumed Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, who accuses the country of stealing American jobs and cheating at global trade. In China itself, though, he's only now emerging as a public figure, despite fame elsewhere for his voluble utterances, high-profile businesses and reality TV show.
- New Mexico shows deeply divided Democratic loyalties Updated: May-30-16 11:19 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Tapping free WiFi at public libraries and cafes and hawking T-shirts and bumper stickers out of a Santa Fe hemp clothing store, autonomous cells of Bernie Sanders volunteers in New Mexico have been feverishly fundraising and speed-dialing voters for months.
- Ethics a thorn as Rhode Island lawmakers wrap up session Updated: May-29-16 12:34 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - As the Rhode Island General Assembly winds down for the year and lawmakers prepare to launch their re-election campaigns, Democratic leaders are dropping hot-button social issues as they search for a resolution to the ethical quandaries that have overshadowed the State House in recent weeks.
- In governor's race, dash for cash is on - but hard to track Updated: May-29-16 11:26 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The dash for campaign cash in the New Hampshire governor's race is at its peak as an early June filing deadline looms, bringing with it dramatic reductions in how much money candidates can raise from individuals and political committees.
- Election-year politics dim hopes of Illinois budget deal Updated: May-29-16 10:30 am
CHICAGO - The emails started arriving as heads were still spinning in the state Capitol over Democrats ramming through a state budget proposal. The missives from Republicans on Wednesday accused the majority party of approving a plan that's out of balance by $7 billion.
- Democratic candidates for Iowa US Senate seat fault Grassley Updated: May-28-16 6:37 pm
WATERLOO, Iowa - Three candidates seeking the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate spent no time Saturday at a Waterloo debate attacking each other, focusing criticism instead on Republican incumbent U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley and GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump.
- Up in smoke: group ends Ohio medical marijuana ballot drive Updated: May-28-16 12:45 pm
CINCINNATI - A group Saturday ended its effort to put a medical marijuana issue on Ohio's general election ballot.
- Cellphone fees, education mandates among new state laws Updated: May-28-16 12:37 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - New laws in South Carolina extend taxes to cellphones, require students to learn about America's "founding principles," and fix a quirk in campaign finance law that has entangled many state officials.
- Sentencing delayed for man who funded DC 'shadow campaign' Updated: May-28-16 12:01 pm
WASHINGTON - A judge has postponed the sentencing of the businessman who financed an illegal get-out-the-vote effort for former District of Columbia mayor Vincent Gray.
- With retention idea blocked, Supreme Court primary goes on Updated: May-28-16 11:09 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - There will be one race on every ballot in North Carolina's previously unscheduled June 7 primary because the state Supreme Court couldn't agree whether a law that led a colleague to seek re-election through a new method complied with the state constitution.
- In business and politics, Trump stokes internal rivalries Updated: May-28-16 2:38 am
WASHINGTON - When Donald Trump acquired a pair of Atlantic City casinos in the mid-1980s, he pitted his managers against each other in a ferocious competition over everything from booking entertainers to attracting high-rolling gamblers.
- The Latest: About 12 arrested at San Diego Trump rally Updated: May-27-16 9:54 pm
SAN DIEGO - The Latest on protests at Donald Trump campaign events in California (all times local):
- Auto title lender gives $237K to loan ballot question groups Updated: May-27-16 5:45 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A Georgia car title lender has contributed nearly $240,000 in additional funds to two South Dakota political organizations waging campaigns over a pair of short-term lending ballot measures, according to campaign finance records released Friday.