- Fox lawyer gets extension to file campaign finance documents Updated: Jul-30-15 4:16 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A lawyer for imprisoned former Rhode Island House Speaker Gordon Fox says campaign finance regulators have given him extra time to pull together campaign finance documents, as he works to sort out the campaign account that Fox pilfered.
- Opening arguments personal in Kentucky Attorney General race Updated: Jul-30-15 3:47 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Opening arguments in the campaign for Kentucky attorney general are laden with personal attacks, as Democrat Andy Beshear and Republican Whitney Westerfield seek to weaken each other before the November election.
- Trump turns golf trip into extension of campaign trail Updated: Jul-30-15 1:55 pm
TURNBERRY, Scotland - Donald Trump turned a brief trip to a golf tournament in Scotland into an extension of his presidential campaign trail when he attended the Women's British Open at his plush Turnberry resort on Thursday.
- Platini kicks off political fight for future of FIFA Updated: Jul-30-15 12:24 pm
GENEVA - Michel Platini hopes he made a decisive move early in the seven-month campaign to become FIFA president.
- GOP leaders rally around Kirk after fundraiser's criticism Updated: Jul-29-15 10:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Republicans rallied around first-term U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk on Wednesday after a top fundraiser briefly suggested that the moderate elected to Barack Obama's former seat should abandon his re-election bid due to a recent series of public gaffes.
- Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tissue research Updated: Jul-29-15 9:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Under fire for its role in providing fetal tissue for research, Planned Parenthood asked the government's top health scientists Wednesday to convene a panel of independent experts to study the issues surrounding the little-known branch of medicine.
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption Updated: Jul-29-15 7:04 pm
PHILADELPHIA - U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah paid off an illegal $1 million campaign loan with federal grants and charitable donations, funneled campaign funds toward his son's student loans and disguised a lobbyist's bribe as payment for a Porsche his TV anchor wife never sold, prosecutors said Wednesday in announcing a racketeering indictment against him.
- Body shop owner challenges insurance commissioner Updated: Jul-29-15 6:32 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Second-term Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney is being challenged in the Republican primary by John Mosley, a body shop owner who says insurance companies have gotten away with paying for less-than-perfect replacement parts to repair damaged vehicles.
- Presidential hopeful Kasich says running Ohio still priority Updated: Jul-29-15 4:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich said running the state remains his top priority even as he campaigns elsewhere for the Republican presidential nomination.
- The Latest: Indicted congressman rebuts corruption charges Updated: Jul-29-15 2:25 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The latest developments surrounding the indictment of U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah (all times local):
- Resigned elections official held 2012 fundraiser for McCrory Updated: Jul-28-15 9:37 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - A month before he won election, Gov. Pat McCrory attended a fundraiser hosted by an appointee to the state Board of Elections who resigned amid questions about his ties to an Internet sweepstakes magnate targeted by a campaign finance investigation.
- Scott Walker orders American on cheesesteaks, avoiding gaffe Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The governor of the nation's top cheese-producing state visited the capital of cheesesteaks on Tuesday and ordered two topped with American, skipping the customary Cheez Whiz but avoiding the blunder of a former presidential candidate who was ridiculed for wanting his with Swiss.
- Group launches campaign to strengthen Clean Election law Updated: Jul-28-15 4:07 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A non-partisan group launched a campaign Tuesday to sway voters to say "yes" to a November ballot issue they say will level the playing field between publicly and privately financed candidates.
- Menendez case shaping up to be aggressive, tense court fight Updated: Jul-28-15 2:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The corruption indictment against Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey is only a few months old, but early court filings pull back the curtain on a legal fight that promises to be bitter, personal and contested at each step.
- Number of groups hiring Nebraska lobbyists reaches new high Updated: Jul-28-15 1:16 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - More groups than ever are turning to lobbyists to try to exert influence in the Nebraska Legislature, but spending on specific lawmakers remains difficult to track, a government watchdog group said Tuesday.
- Cleveland city council passes new public demonstration law Updated: Jul-28-15 3:04 am
CLEVELAND - Cleveland City Council is changing rules regulating public demonstrations.
- Obama calls GOP criticism of Iran deal 'ridiculous,' 'sad' Updated: Jul-27-15 10:55 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama unleashed a blistering and belittling rebuke of Republican White House hopefuls Monday, calling their attack on his landmark nuclear deal with Iran "ridiculous if it weren't so sad."
- Republicans draw in more money for top La. statewide races Updated: Jul-27-15 8:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republicans are outraising Democrats in Louisiana's top two races on the Oct. 24 ballot, for governor and lieutenant governor - and pouring more of their own money into their competitions as well, according to the latest campaign reports.
- Group airs ad attacking Sen. Burr's opposition to EPA plan Updated: Jul-27-15 5:08 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A Washington-based environmental advocacy group launched two ads Monday attacking North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr's opposition to the Environmental Protection Agency's plan to curb emissions from power plants.
- Fadness leaving Wisconsin GOP to join Walker campaign Updated: Jul-27-15 10:32 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Republican Party executive director Joe Fadness is leaving his position to join Scott Walker's presidential campaign.
- GOP's chairman doesn't expect Trump third-party candidacy Updated: Jul-27-15 8:16 am
WASHINGTON - Republican Party chairman Reince Priebus said Monday that he's not worried about Donald Trump eventually running for president as an independent.
- Ohio governor says he's not using "hot rhetoric' for support Updated: Jul-26-15 12:28 pm
CINCINNATI - Ohio's governor says he isn't going to use "hot rhetoric" or campaign promises that won't be kept as he tries to move up in the crowded GOP field.
- Wisconsin nonpartisan elections board targeted for overhaul Updated: Jul-26-15 11:52 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Stung by a corruption scandal that led to the convictions of five lawmakers, a longtime Republican state senator met with the head of a government watchdog agency at a bar down the street from the Capitol to talk about how to improve ethics oversight.
- State of the Race: The campaign for Pennsylvania's US seat Updated: Jul-26-15 10:49 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrats can expect to decide a primary contest in nine months to see who will challenge U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, a Republican who is seeking his second six-year term in the 2016 election. The seat is expected to be crucial to determining control of the U.S. Senate, and Democrats hope their four-to-three registration advantage in Pennsylvania and heightened voter interest in the presidential election will deliver a victory to their eventual nominee. Here is a look at the race and the candidates:
- As Democrats fret over 'sharing economy,' GOP moves in Updated: Jul-26-15 2:55 am
DENVER - The debate over ride-hailing firm Uber is laying bare divides in the Democratic Party and on the left about how to handle the new "sharing" economy. Republicans are hungry to exploit that ambivalence and make inroads into a wealthy sector of the tech industry.