- Biden's wife may share his misgivings about another race Updated: Sep-05-15 3:03 am
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden's reluctance to enter the presidential race centers on his family. His wife, Jill, has never relished political life and is said to share his misgivings about whether the Bidens are emotionally equipped for another campaign.
- Anger as Guatemala votes amid graft scandals Updated: Sep-05-15 12:31 am
GUATEMALA CITY - The wave of political turmoil that toppled Guatemala's president has overshadowed Sunday's vote to elect a new leader - an election many fear could put a lid on the anti-corruption drive.
- Fired regulator: Governor pushed to waive oil safeguards. Updated: Sep-04-15 3:36 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - California's top oil and gas regulators repeatedly warned Gov. Jerry Brown's senior aides in 2011 that the governor's orders to override key environmental safeguards in granting oil industry permits would violate state and federal laws protecting groundwater from contamination, one of the former officials has testified.
- Embattled secretary of state remains silent on charges Updated: Sep-04-15 2:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The second of two public hearings scheduled this week to consider changes to New Mexico's elections and campaign finance rules was canceled Friday, raising more questions about the ability of embattled Secretary of State Dianna Duran to oversee the office in the wake of fraud and embezzlement charges.
- Jeb Bush places first advertisements of campaign in NH Updated: Sep-04-15 1:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Jeb Bush will appear soon on television sets across New Hampshire, an important early presidential primary state.
- Senate Ethics panel orders state House Democrat to pay $54K Updated: Sep-03-15 8:08 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Senate Ethics Committee has fined state Rep. Cezar McKnight $54,000 for failing to report campaign donations and expenses during his unsuccessful bid for the Senate last year.
- Ethics panel investigating Rep. Mike Honda of California Updated: Sep-03-15 6:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Rep. Mike Honda of California remains under scrutiny by the House Ethics Committee for allegations that he had congressional aides perform campaign work when they were supposed to be working on government business.
- Ethics Commission to investigate complaint against treasurer Updated: Sep-03-15 6:25 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Arkansas Ethics Commission will investigate portions of a complaint filed against state Treasurer Dennis Milligan last month alleging rule violations in campaign expenditure reporting, use of government resources, hiring and other areas.
- Governor taps bank executive to lead job creation agency Updated: Sep-03-15 5:06 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has appointed a bank executive who has contributed thousands of dollars to his campaign to a six-figure job leading the state's troubled economic development agency.
- Few attend public hearing on proposed campaign rules Updated: Sep-02-15 7:26 pm
HELENA, Montana - A public hearing on proposed changes to Montana's campaign laws that was scheduled for 14 hours at the Capitol this week has so far drawn eight people and about three hours of comments.
- House Ethics: Harrell improperly paid lawyers from campaign Updated: Sep-01-15 6:35 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Former South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell improperly paid his attorneys last year with campaign money and therefore must hand over $113,475 to the state, the House Ethics Committee ruled Tuesday.
- Marco Rubio visits Sandoval, but didn't discuss endorsement Updated: Sep-01-15 6:15 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio says he met with Gov. Brian Sandoval during his northern Nevada campaign tour, but the two didn't discuss an endorsement.
- Board sends lobbyist contribution question to Legislature Updated: Sep-01-15 5:50 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin election officials asked the Legislature on Tuesday to address whether lobbyists can make contributions to Republican Gov. Scott Walker's presidential candidate and when donations could start.
- Court rejects appeal for full hearing on contribution limits Updated: Sep-01-15 5:17 pm
HELENA, Montana - A federal court has rejected Montana's request to rehear its defense of state campaign contribution limits.
- Maine finalizes upcoming campaign finance ballot question Updated: Sep-01-15 5:06 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine officials say the language of an upcoming statewide ballot question about campaign finance is now finalized.
- Singapore's ruling party in unprecedented electoral contest Updated: Sep-01-15 2:55 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore's political parties officially started campaigning Tuesday for general elections in which, for the first time in the island-nation's history, the ruling People's Action Party faces contests in all available seats.
- Kauai lawmaker pleads no contest in campaign finance case Updated: Aug-31-15 8:49 pm
HONOLULU - State Rep. James Tokioka is pleading no contest to filing an incomplete and inaccurate campaign committee report.
- NY ethics board drops Trump complaint about attorney general Updated: Aug-31-15 8:25 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's ethics commission has dropped Donald Trump's complaint that the state attorney general engaged in misconduct during an investigation of the former Trump University.
- Attorneys eye O'Donnell finances in FEC lawsuit Updated: Aug-31-15 2:56 pm
DOVER, Delaware - A federal judge has approved an agreement between attorneys for Christine O'Donnell and the Federal Election Commission for exchanging information regarding her finances and her ability to pay any civil penalty or disgorgement of funds if she loses an agency lawsuit.
- Report: Duncan used campaign funds to purchase tickets Updated: Aug-31-15 12:26 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A published report says U.S. Rep. John J. Duncan Jr.'s office used campaign funds to purchase tickets to sporting events and concerts for some constituents.
- McCain names key campaign staff for 2016 re-election effort Updated: Aug-31-15 9:14 am
PHOENIX - Republican U.S. Sen. John McCain is gearing up for his 2016 re-election effort by naming key members of his campaign staff.
- Economy boosts Portuguese government's re-election bid Updated: Aug-31-15 7:04 am
LISBON, Portugal - Economic news is continuing to give heart to Portugal's center-right government as it aims for re-election in October.
- Suu Kyi tells voters to ignore intimidation in Nov. election Updated: Aug-30-15 11:55 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - Myanmar's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi told voters Sunday to ignore intimidation and to cast their ballots without fear in the upcoming general election.
- Elections board to stop enforcing aggregate limit for donors Updated: Aug-30-15 10:40 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's Board of Elections says it won't enforce a campaign finance law that a major Republican donor says he intentionally violated to prod the state into acknowledging it's unconstitutional.
- Kansas headed toward another school finance debate next year Updated: Aug-29-15 3:14 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Five months after a new law for funding public schools took effect in Kansas, legislators and education officials are talking about drafting another one next year.