- Senate passes bill to hit North Korea with harsher sanctions Updated: Feb-10-16 9:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Seeking to derail North Korea's drive for nuclear weapons, Republican and Democratic senators set aside their partisan differences Wednesday to unanimously pass legislation aimed at starving Pyongyang of the money it needs to build an atomic arsenal.
- Vehicle emissions test notices suspended amid budget impasse Updated: Feb-10-16 5:30 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois motorists will have to keep track of when their vehicles need to pass an emissions test or be renewed, because the state says it won't provide mailed notifications.
- UN experts: North Korea continues to evade UN sanctions Updated: Feb-09-16 11:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - U.N. experts say North Korea is continuing to evade U.N. sanctions, using airlines, ships, and the international financial system to trade in prohibited items for its nuclear and ballistic missile programs raising important questions about the sanctions regime.
- US responses to NKorea nuke, missile tests will upset China Updated: Feb-09-16 4:14 am
WASHINGTON - North Korean nuclear and rocket tests are drawing quick responses from the U.S. that will upset a supposed partner against Pyongyang's weapons development - China.
- Japan's parliament condemns North Korea rocket launch Updated: Feb-09-16 2:12 am
TOKYO - Japan's parliament condemned North Korea's long-range rocket launch Tuesday, calling it a serious provocation against international peace and demanding that the communist nation immediately stop such activity.
- UN condemns NKorea launch, pledges significant new sanctions Updated: Feb-07-16 11:41 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The U.N. Security Council condemned North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket that world leaders called a banned test of ballistic missile technology and another "intolerable provocation." The U.N.'s most powerful body pledged to quickly adopt a new resolution with "significant" new sanctions.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- In Obama's final year, Senate is slow to act on his nominees Updated: Feb-05-16 5:28 pm
WASHINGTON - If you wear combat fatigues to work, then your nomination is almost sure to sail through the Senate. If not, you're likely in for a long wait.
- Obama, Xi discuss NKorea amid signs of rocket launch preps Updated: Feb-05-16 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - The presidents of the U.S. and China agreed Friday that a planned rocket launch by North Korea would violate U.N. sanctions, the White House said, amid signs the isolated nation was moving closer to blastoff.
- Canada eases certain sanctions against Iran Updated: Feb-05-16 4:27 pm
TORONTO - Canada has dropped many of the sanctions it imposed on Iran over that country's nuclear ambitions.
- Historic step: Pope, Russia patriarch meet in Cuba Feb. 12 Updated: Feb-05-16 1:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - In an historic step to heal the 1,000-year schism that split Christianity, Pope Francis and the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church will meet in Cuba next week in an attempt to begin bridging the church's East-West divide.
- Seoul, Tokyo threaten to intercept N. Korean rocket debris Updated: Feb-04-16 4:37 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea and Japan vowed to shoot down any debris that falls on their territories from a long-range rocket that North Korea plans to fire this month, with Seoul saying Thursday that it has detected launch preparations by Pyongyang.
- North Korea's rocket plans seen as disrespectful of China Updated: Feb-03-16 11:42 pm
BEIJING - The timing couldn't have appeared worse. North Korea announces it will launch a long-range rocket smack in the middle of a top Chinese envoy's visit to Pyongyang. In diplomatic terms, it was yet another sign of disrespect for North Korea's chief ally.
- China urges restraint over North Korea rocket launch Updated: Feb-03-16 7:19 am
BEIJING - China's Foreign Ministry on Wednesday called for all sides to show restraint over North Korea's announcement that it plans to launch a rocket in defiance of U.N. sanctions.
- Iran's stock exchange hits 1-year high after nuclear deal Updated: Feb-02-16 11:30 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The Tehran Stock Exchange has rallied to a one-year high after Iran's landmark nuclear deal with world powers went into effect last month, a spokesman for the exchange said Tuesday.
- Iran: $100B in assets 'fully released' under nuclear deal Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran said Monday it now has access to more than $100 billion worth of frozen overseas assets following the implementation of a landmark nuclear deal with world powers.
- Senate committee approves North Korea sanctions bill Updated: Jan-28-16 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate Foreign Relations Committee has approved legislation to tighten sanctions against North Korea following its latest nuclear test explosion.
- Car-making deals, protests greet Iranian president in Paris Updated: Jan-28-16 3:09 pm
PARIS - France's government welcomed Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Thursday with promises of a new beginning in an old relationship, starting with investments to boost Iran's flagging economy that has been crippled by decades of sanctions.
- Iran: European airlines set to resume flights to Tehran Updated: Jan-28-16 2:47 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Several European airlines aim to resume their flights to Iran following a landmark nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers, the state-owned IRAN daily reported on Thursday.
- The Latest: France, Iran sign trade deals Updated: Jan-28-16 1:46 pm
PARIS - The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):
- AP Exclusive: Officials say France wants more Iran sanctions Updated: Jan-27-16 4:54 pm
VIENNA - France has asked the European Union to consider new sanctions against Iran over recent missile tests, in a request made shortly after the EU ended sanctions over Iran's nuclear program, officials have told The Associated Press.
- Obama administration loosens Cuba embargo with new measures Updated: Jan-26-16 9:15 pm
HAVANA - The Obama administration is loosening the U.S. trade embargo on Cuba with a new round of regulations allowing American companies to sell to Cuba on credit and export a potentially wide range of products to the Cuban government for the first time, officials said Tuesday.
- Vatican: Iran must join fight against terrorism Updated: Jan-26-16 3:22 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis held talks with Iran's president at the Vatican Tuesday, calling on Tehran to play a key role in stopping the spread of terrorism as Iran tries to improve its image in the global arena following an agreement on its nuclear program.
- Iran signs flurry of business deals as leader visits Europe Updated: Jan-26-16 11:55 am
MILAN - Iran is signing business deals across Europe as its president embarks on a tour of the region to restore contacts after years of economic sanctions and international isolation.