- Lawmakers overturn LePage Narcan veto, falter on solar bill Updated: Apr-29-16 11:27 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - With five state residents dying each week from drug overdoses, lawmakers on Friday overwhelmingly rejected Republican Gov. Paul LePage's veto of a bill that would increase availability of an overdose antidote. But they failed to overcome his veto of a bill to modernize state policies on solar power.
- The Latest: Maine boosts availability of overdose antidote Updated: Apr-29-16 6:30 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Latest on veto votes by the Maine Legislature (all times local):
- US places 5 countries on trade monitoring list Updated: Apr-29-16 6:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department has placed five countries - China, Japan, Germany, South Korea and Taiwan - on a new monitoring list designed to pressure foreign governments to tackle large trade imbalances with the United States.
- Republicans beginning to make peace with Trump as nominee Updated: Apr-29-16 5:42 pm
WASHINGTON - They thought it was impossible. Some still fear it. Others can barely believe it. But leading Republicans are beginning to accept the idea that Donald Trump will be their party's presidential nominee.
- The Latest: Chenault: Panel plans to hear tax credit bill Updated: Apr-29-16 5:09 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on legislative happenings as Alaska lawmakers continue to meet in extended session (all times local):
- Sanders blasts Indiana factory closings at union rally Updated: Apr-29-16 3:06 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Bernie Sanders told a labor union rally outside the Indiana Statehouse that bad international trade policies are enabling corporations to shut down American factories and move work to countries with lower wages.
- Iran votes in parliamentary runoff as rare shooting wounds 4 Updated: Apr-29-16 12:05 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians voted Friday in the country's parliamentary runoff elections, a key poll that will decide how much power allies of moderate President Hassan Rouhani will have in the next legislature after the landmark nuclear deal with world powers.
- Eurozone economy regains size of 2008 but remains shaky Updated: Apr-29-16 10:19 am
LONDON - It's been a long and tortuous journey, but the eurozone economy is finally back to the size it was before the global financial crisis.
- Finnish report highlights Russian threat of NATO membership Updated: Apr-29-16 8:55 am
HELSINKI - Finland could expect "harsh" reactions from Russia if it decided to join NATO, but would be better off doing so together with neighboring Sweden, an expert panel told the Finnish government on Friday.
- Ex-Montana Sen. Conrad Burns dies; influenced energy policy Updated: Apr-29-16 12:01 am
HELENA, Montana - Former Montana Sen. Conrad Burns, a former cattle auctioneer whose folksy demeanor and political acumen earned him three terms and the bitter disdain of his opponents, died Thursday. He was 81.
- The Latest: Powder sent to Trump office deemed harmless Updated: Apr-28-16 11:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on campaign 2016 (all times Eastern):
- House advances bill targeting illegal immigration Updated: Apr-28-16 9:25 pm
PHOENIX - A bill that would stiffen sentences for immigrants in the country illegally has advanced in the House, despite critics saying the proposal creates a separate system of justice for non-citizens.
- Gov. Bullock wants $200M for infrastructure; details to come Updated: Apr-28-16 8:09 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Gov. Steve Bullock on Thursday proposed spending $200 million on roads, bridges, schools and other public works across the state. But he didn't specify any projects or exactly how to pay for them, despite previous plans getting hung up on such details.
- Former defense secretaries push for trade pact Updated: Apr-28-16 6:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Eight former secretaries of defense are pushing congressional leaders to back one of President Barack Obama's top priorities and pass a free trade agreement they say is fundamental to national security.
- Feds are advising Dearborn police after 2 fatal shootings Updated: Apr-28-16 4:43 pm
DEARBORN, Michigan - The U.S. Justice Department will give advice to a Detroit-area police department whose officers have been involved in two fatal shootings in recent months.
- South Korea: Suspected midrange North Korean missiles fail Updated: Apr-28-16 3:49 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea attempted unsuccessfully to launch two suspected powerful intermediate-range missiles on Thursday, South Korean defense officials said, bringing the number of apparent failures in recent weeks to three.
- LGBT anti-discrimination employment bill advances in Senate Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Senators advanced a proposal to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, moments after an initial vote appeared to stall the measure in committee.
- US economy struggles at start of election year Updated: Apr-28-16 3:36 pm
WASHINGTON - It was not a great start for the U.S. economy.
- American state senator meets with Syrian President Assad Updated: Apr-28-16 2:01 pm
BEIRUT - Syrian President Bashar Assad scored a minor, if bizarre, publicity victory Thursday, receiving a part-time state senator from America at a time when U.S. officials have repeatedly asserted Assad has lost his legitimacy to rule the war-torn country.
- UN votes to wrap up Ivory Coast peacekeeping mission in 2017 Updated: Apr-28-16 1:50 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Thursday to wrap up its 12-year peacekeeping mission in Ivory Coast next year, a sign of confidence in the West African nation's progress to peace after years of political turmoil and thousands of deaths.
- Significant premium hikes expected under Obama health law Updated: Apr-28-16 12:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Insurers will seek significant premium hikes under President Barack Obama's health care law this summer - stiff medicine for consumers and voters ahead of the national political conventions.
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage rises to 3.66 percent Updated: Apr-28-16 11:58 am
WASHINGTON - Long-term U.S. mortgage rates rose this week, lifting from their 2016 lows but remaining historically low during the spring home-buying season.
- Watertown joins Pierre in selection of air service provider Updated: Apr-28-16 9:46 am
WATERTOWN, South Dakota - Watertown's City Council has chosen Aerodynamics Inc. as the city's air service provider, two days after Pierre's City Commission decided on the Atlanta-based carrier.
- German FM calls Trump's foreign policy plans contradictory Updated: Apr-28-16 7:06 am
BERLIN - Germany's foreign minister says Donald Trump's foreign policy ideas are unclear and contradictory.
- Ex-Villanova hoops player convicted in bailout fraud scheme Updated: Apr-28-16 5:52 am
PHILADELPHIA - Two leaders of a defunct financial holding company, including a former Villanova University basketball player, have been convicted of using a circular loan scheme in an effort to defraud the U.S. Treasury Department's bank bailout program seven years ago.