- Rubio says strength is only way to maintain peace with China Updated: Aug-27-15 8:20 pm
MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says the United States must bolster its military, push for more free trade and hold China far more accountable on human rights.
- Advocacy group's CEO sees new issues with Kansas welfare law Updated: Aug-27-15 7:45 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Parts of Kansas' new welfare law appear to conflict with federal rules for state child care programs, potentially jeopardizing more than $40 million a year in federal funds, an advocacy group's leader said Thursday.
- AP EXCLUSIVE: Chairman promises review of unspent charity Updated: Aug-27-15 7:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Nearly $10 million in charitable donations by California taxpayers sat unspent in government accounts at the end of last year, The Associated Press has found, and the Senate Governance and Finance Committee chairman said Thursday that he wants a review of state accounts and will hold a hearing to find out why the money hasn't been spent.
- The US economy's second quarter went from solid to stellar Updated: Aug-27-15 6:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy staged a far bigger rebound last quarter than first thought, outpacing the rest of the developed world and bolstering confidence that it will remain sturdy in coming months despite global headwinds.
- Washington health insurance rates to go up 4.2 percent Updated: Aug-27-15 6:46 pm
SEATTLE - People who buy their health insurance on the Washington Healthplanfinder exchange can expect an average 4.2 percent increase in their rates in 2016.
- Kobach: Trump correct on immigration proposals Updated: Aug-27-15 5:26 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach said he agrees with Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's proposals to build a wall along the southern border and end "birthright citizenship" for children born to parents who are in the U.S. illegally.
- New stopgap spending bill approved by N. Carolina lawmakers Updated: Aug-27-15 3:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The General Assembly quickly passed another temporary spending measure Thursday directing how North Carolina government should operate while Republicans leaders remain knotted in a budget stalemate.
- ACLU suing to block Nevada Education Savings Accounts Updated: Aug-27-15 2:20 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada's sweeping new Education Savings Account program has attracted its first legal challenge, with three civil liberties groups saying it violates the state constitution by releasing public funds to religious schools.
- Budget expert leaves Illinois without state spending plan Updated: Aug-27-15 2:03 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The contract of a budget expert tapped by Gov. Bruce Rauner is set to expire without a state budget in place.
- US stocks open higher after Chinese market surges Updated: Aug-27-15 9:44 am
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are opening higher after China's main stock index logged its biggest gain in eight weeks. A report also showed that the U.S. economy expanded at a much faster pace than previously estimated.
- Philippine economy grew 5.6 pct in the second quarter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:13 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine economy grew by 5.6 percent in the second quarter from a year ago, slightly below the government's target, officials said Thursday.
- Bill requires prosecution of transferred immigrants Updated: Aug-26-15 9:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Seeking to prevent another tragedy like the July killing of a woman on a San Francisco pier, Republican state lawmakers on Wednesday proposed legislation that would prevent California cities from accepting federal transfers of immigrant prisoners unless local prosecutors commit to pursuing felony charges.
- Russian lawmaker wants Kerry sanctioned Updated: Aug-26-15 7:16 pm
MOSCOW - A member of Russia's upper house of parliament is calling for U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his deputies to be placed on Moscow's sanctions list.
- Report: Solyndra misrepresented facts to get loan guarantee Updated: Aug-26-15 6:31 pm
WASHINGTON - A four-year investigation has concluded that officials of the solar company Solyndra misrepresented facts and omitted key information in their efforts to get a $535 million loan guarantee from the federal government.
- South Sudan leader signs peace deal amid sanctions threat Updated: Aug-26-15 4:46 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan President Salva Kiir on Wednesday signed a peace deal with rebels, more than 20 months after the start of fighting between the army and rebels led by his former deputy.
- Fed official says September rate hike 'less compelling' Updated: Aug-26-15 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The head of the New York Federal Reserve Bank said Wednesday he's less inclined to support a Fed rate hike in September amid recent global turmoil, including falling oil prices and a slowdown in China.
- New Jersey's top court rules for abused immigrant children Updated: Aug-26-15 3:49 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Immigrant children who fled abuse and abandonment in their home countries only need to show that one parent mistreated them for authorities to consider granting them legal residency, New Jersey's top court ruled Wednesday.
- Most health insurers raise 2016 Florida Obamacare rates Updated: Aug-26-15 2:14 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Premiums for most health insurance policies sold on the federal exchange are increasing for Floridians this year, but state regulators used new authority to negotiate lower rates so the hikes aren't as big as they could have been, according to filings released Wednesday by the Office of Insurance Regulation.
- UN chief urges leaders to speed up climate negotiations Updated: Aug-26-15 11:28 am
PARIS - United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is urging world leaders to "accelerate" negotiations ahead of a December climate conference in Paris.
- China's Xi staying the course despite sliding economy Updated: Aug-26-15 9:22 am
BEIJING - What does China's leadership lose politically as a result of the country's precipitous stock market decline? A bit of international swagger, but probably not much else - for now.
- Trump has Univision anchor removed from new conference Updated: Aug-25-15 10:20 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump engaged in a prolonged confrontation with the anchor of the nation's leading Spanish-language network during a news conference Tuesday, first having the well-known news personality removed before allowing him back in.
- Beijing appears to wind down share-buying - now what? Updated: Aug-25-15 8:25 pm
BEIJING - China's leaders are winding down a strategy of trying to push up slumping stock prices by spending billions of dollars to buy shares.
- The Latest: Dow fell more than 600 points from day's peak Updated: Aug-25-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on the global financial market turmoil (all times local):
- Watchdog: US Ambassador Kennedy used private email Updated: Aug-25-15 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Senior staff at the U.S. Embassy to Japan, including Ambassador Caroline Kennedy, have used personal email accounts for official business, an internal watchdog said in a report Tuesday. Some emails contained sensitive information.
- UN: China arms firm sold $20M in weapons to South Sudan Updated: Aug-25-15 2:17 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A U.N. panel of experts said that a major Chinese state-owned arms supplier sold more than $20 million of weapons to South Sudan's government last year, several months into the country's deadly internal conflict.