- Iran to US: Nuke deal could result in joint cooperation Updated: Jul-03-15 6:17 pm
VIENNA - In a message to Washington, Iran's foreign minister on Friday called for an end to "coercion and pressure" at the nuclear talks, suggesting a deal acceptable to his country will open the door to cooperation on fighting the upsurge of Middle East extremism threatening both nations' interests.
- Russia mulls new selective sanctions against Western nations Updated: Jul-03-15 3:53 pm
MOSCOW - Russia will consider new selective retaliatory measures against some specific Western countries, the nation's security chief said Friday, pointing at Finland as a possible target.
- Aetna to buy Humana as health insurer landscape shifts Updated: Jul-03-15 3:11 pm
Aetna aims to spend about $35 billion to buy rival Humana and become the latest health insurer bulking up on government business as the industry adjusts to the federal health care overhaul.
- The Latest: Protesters loot supermarket in Athens suburb Updated: Jul-03-15 10:37 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest news on Greece's financial woes and its upcoming referendum on Sunday (all times local):
- Analysis: Root of tattered US-Russia ties date back decades Updated: Jul-03-15 3:09 am
WASHINGTON - The stumbles, blunders, and policy chaos that have sent increasingly frosty U.S.-Russia relations into what many now call a new Cold War might have been inevitable.
- Seattle man charged with murder, terrorism in New Jersey Updated: Jul-02-15 9:29 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A Seattle man was indicted on murder and terrorism charges Thursday for allegedly shooting a New Jersey college student last year in a fit of rage over the U.S. government's role in the Middle East, which authorities said is the first time a terror charge has been brought in the state in connection with a murder case.
- Obama draws sharp contrasts with 'mean' Republicans Updated: Jul-02-15 5:39 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - Wading into presidential politics, President Barack Obama on Thursday promoted his brand of middle-class economics by drawing sharp contrasts with "mean" Republicans in a state whose GOP governor was preparing to enter the vast 2016 presidential field.
- Centene makes $6.3B bid for fellow insurer Health Net Updated: Jul-02-15 5:03 pm
Centene has jumped into the mix of managed-care companies scrambling to bulk up as the health care overhaul changes their business with a $6.3-billion bid for fellow insurer Health Net.
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Jul-02-15 4:55 pm
Star Tribune, July 1
- Experts give their take on jobs, Fed and financial markets Updated: Jul-02-15 4:31 pm
NEW YORK - If investors hoped Thursday's U.S. jobs report would give them clarity, they were probably disappointed.
- US senator ends visit to Venezuela, urges moderation Updated: Jul-02-15 4:22 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - The chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee wrapped up a trip to crisis-plagued Venezuela by warning the country is on a "destructive path" that could result in more suffering unless the socialist government adopts more moderate policies before congressional elections.
- N. Carolina lawmakers take week off despite no final budget Updated: Jul-02-15 4:17 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly went home Thursday to begin a July 4 weekend followed by a weeklong break despite a chasm between House and Senate proposals on the already overdue state budget.
- Immigration detention center expands in Southern California Updated: Jul-02-15 2:21 pm
SANTA ANA, California - Immigration authorities will expand a Southern California detention facility to get more bed space for women with criminal records, immigrants with medical needs, recently arrived asylum seekers and other detainees.
- 2 Nevada teachers honored by President Obama Updated: Jul-02-15 11:47 am
RENO, Nevada - Two northern Nevada teachers have been honored by President Obama for helping students succeed in the fields of math and science.
- Analysts say UN sanctions on South Sudan not very helpful Updated: Jul-02-15 10:31 am
JUBA, South Sudan - The U.N. sanctions imposed on South Sudanese generals are not likely to help the peace process, some analysts said Thursday.
- What crisis? Stronger banks, economies ease fear over Greece Updated: Jul-02-15 3:13 am
The prospect of a Greek crackup isn't so terrifying anymore.
- Michigan Senate approves $1.5B road plan with gas tax hike Updated: Jul-01-15 10:08 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Republican-led Senate on Wednesday approved a $1.5 billion plan to improve deteriorating Michigan roads by raising fuel taxes and redirecting money from elsewhere in the budget.
- Walker reduces amount available for oil tax credits Updated: Jul-01-15 7:46 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Gov. Bill Walker is limiting the amount available to pay for oil and gas tax credits this fiscal year, saying Wednesday that no sector of the state would be untouched by Alaska's current budget situation.
- Missouri panel rejects plan for multistate wind power line Updated: Jul-01-15 7:43 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri utility regulators on Wednesday denied a company's request to construct a high-voltage power line in Missouri that was planned for a multistate wind energy project.
- CEOs of mortgage giants Fannie and Freddie get big raises Updated: Jul-01-15 6:44 pm
NEW YORK - The CEOs of government-backed mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are getting large raises, to about $4 million a year, as the government relaxes rules that were imposed on the companies after they suffered big losses and were bailed out.
- New Mexico governor denounces Trump's comments Updated: Jul-01-15 5:54 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez is denouncing GOP presidential hopeful Donald Trump's recent remarks about Mexican immigrants.
- UN sanctions 6 generals for fueling South Sudan conflict Updated: Jul-01-15 5:09 pm
- World mayors, others pitch in toward global climate accord Updated: Jul-01-15 3:07 pm
LYON, France - French President Francois Hollande said Wednesday that money is the main roadblock to a global accord at a U.N. climate conference in Paris this year.
- Anti-capitalist eco-crusader Naomi Klein hosted at Vatican Updated: Jul-01-15 11:01 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican added yet another strange bedfellow to its expanding ecological alliance Wednesday, hosting anti-capitalist eco-crusader Naomi Klein at a conference on saving the planet.
- New Danish government tightens immigration law Updated: Jul-01-15 7:07 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Denmark's new center-right minority government has reached its first deal with its political allies, including the anti-immigrant Danish People's Party, aimed at reducing the number of asylum-seekers by lowering social benefits.