- Kerry: Climate change potential for harm similar to WWII Updated: Aug-31-15 4:11 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Secretary of State John Kerry says responding to climate change may seem like a high mountain to climb but current leaders are not the first to face uncertainty about the future.
- Appeals panel sides with Arkansas school district Updated: Aug-31-15 4:10 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A lower court was correct to toss a lawsuit filed by parents who claimed the Blytheville School District improperly opted out of an act that allowed them to send their children to neighboring districts, an 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel said Monday.
- Report: Colombia collecting bulk data without warrants Updated: Aug-31-15 4:08 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Intelligence agencies in Colombia have been building robust tools to automatically collect vast amounts of data without judicial warrants and in defiance of a pledge to better protect privacy following a series of domestic spying scandals, according to a new report by Privacy International.
- Pence requests federal aid after summer storms, flooding Updated: Aug-31-15 4:08 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence has requested federal grants for government and certain nonprofits in 19 counties that were hit by severe storms and flooding from June 7 to July 29.
- Board to discuss lobbyist contributions to Walker campaign Updated: Aug-31-15 4:07 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin election and ethics officials are looking to clarify whether lobbyists can funnel money to Gov. Scott Walker's presidential campaign and when contributions could begin.
- Boston mayor, city councilors seek hefty pay raises Updated: Aug-31-15 4:02 pm
BOSTON - Boston's mayor and City Council are again looking for pay raises that could make them among the best compensated of comparable cities across the country.
- New England governors urge FDA to set tougher opioid labels Updated: Aug-31-15 4:02 pm
BOSTON - The governors of all six New England states have sent a letter urging the head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to tighten warnings on opioids.
- Louisiana files response to Planned Parenthood lawsuit Updated: Aug-31-15 4:01 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration told a federal judge that Louisiana can boot Planned Parenthood from Medicaid under both federal law and the terms of the organization's state contract.
- Official: Turkish court orders British journalists arrested Updated: Aug-31-15 3:59 pm
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - A Turkish court charged two Vice News journalists and their assistant on Monday with "aiding a terrorist organization" and ordered them arrested pending trial. Their employer has called the charges "baseless and alarmingly false."
- NY ethics board drops Trump complaint about attorney general Updated: Aug-31-15 3:55 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's ethics commission has dropped Donald Trump's complaint that the state attorney general engaged in misconduct during an investigation of the former Trump University.
- Arkansas sheriff wants voluntary tax to fund pay raises Updated: Aug-31-15 3:53 pm
TEXARKANA, Arkansas - The Hempstead County sheriff is proposing a voluntary tax as a "last-ditch effort" to fund pay raises for deputies and jailers.
- State report: E-cigarette use doubles among Utah youth Updated: Aug-31-15 3:53 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Veronica Ford delivered a message Monday to fellow Utah teenagers: Don't fall for the cool mist and bright-colored flavors of increasingly popular e-cigarettes.
- US Supreme Court: Ex-Virginia gov to remain free for now Updated: Aug-31-15 3:52 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell will not have to go to prison while the U.S. Supreme Court considers whether to consider his appeal of his public corruption convictions, the justices ruled Monday.
- Business interests donate $2.1 million for Pence travel Updated: Aug-31-15 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Republican Gov. Mike Pence's travel at home and abroad to promote Indiana as a haven for business has been paid for by a collection of powerful interests that donated over $2.1 million to the state's economic development efforts over the past two years, state figures show.
- EU struggles for answers as migrant influx raises tensions Updated: Aug-31-15 3:48 pm
BRUSSELS - French and German leaders reminded other European countries Monday of their shared responsibility toward refugees, as one official blamed harsh government policy for the deaths of dozens of migrants crammed into a truck.
- US Sen. Tom Cotton meets with Netanyahu in Israel Updated: Aug-31-15 3:47 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Republican U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton says he talked about the Iran nuclear agreement with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a weeklong trip to Israel.
- Man charged in hit-and-run that killed Philadelphia officer Updated: Aug-31-15 3:47 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A suspect in a hit-and-run crash that killed an off-duty police officer was charged Monday with homicide by vehicle and involuntary manslaughter.
- The Latest: Democratic Party criticizes 'sanitized' probe Updated: Aug-31-15 3:45 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The latest on the release of a report describing misconduct by two Michigan lawmakers who had an affair:
- Energy chief: US has ability to monitor Iran nuclear program Updated: Aug-31-15 3:45 pm
BOULDER, Colorado - The U.S. Energy Department has extensive technical expertise that will help verify whether Iran is complying with its commitment to limit its nuclear program under an international agreement, the U.S. energy secretary said Monday in Colorado.
- Milwaukee funding for new Bucks arena goes before public Updated: Aug-31-15 3:41 pm
MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee's top development official and its chief financial officer will publicly present details Monday of the final piece of a proposed $500 million funding puzzle to build a new arena for the Milwaukee Bucks and help keep the NBA franchise in the city.
- President to take wilderness trip with Bear Grylls Updated: Aug-31-15 3:41 pm
NEW YORK - Survival expert Bear Grylls has bagged his biggest celebrity yet for a walk in the wilderness - President Barack Obama.
- Dozens of Venezuelan shot by police amid crime crackdown Updated: Aug-31-15 3:41 pm
MARACAY, Venezuela - Workers in the industrial complex had been hiding in bathrooms and closets for hours when the shooting stopped. The last of the four suspected thieves, a slightly built man in yellow rain boots, surrendered on the roof, crying out, "Jesus saves!"
- US murder suspect extradited to Czech Republic Updated: Aug-31-15 3:38 pm
PRAGUE - An American suspected of killing four Czech family members has been extradited from the U.S. to face trial, officials said Monday.
- Blue Bell resumes selling ice cream after listeria recall Updated: Aug-31-15 3:32 pm
BRENHAM, Texas - Blue Bell ice cream is back.
- House Democrats look to impeach NM secretary of state Updated: Aug-31-15 3:30 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives are taking aim at New Mexico's top elections official after allegations of fraud, embezzlement and money laundering were leveled against her by the state attorney general.