- UN says gays are victims of violent abuse all over the world Updated: Jun-01-15 11:16 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. human rights chief said in a new report that lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people are victims of "pervasive, violent abuse, harassment and discrimination" in all regions of the world and cites hundreds of hate-related killings.
- Senate votes to override McCrory marriage veto; House next Updated: Jun-01-15 9:05 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state Senate voted Monday night to cancel Gov. Pat McCrory's veto of a bill that would allow some North Carolina court officials to refuse to perform gay marriage activities because of religious objections.
- Kim Kardashian, Kendall Jenner react to Caitlyn Jenner Updated: Jun-01-15 8:19 pm
NEW YORK - Caitlyn Jenner's loved ones were among numerous well-wishers to support her coming out Monday in Vanity Fair.
- Legislature ends with Lt. Gov. Patrick denying 2018 plans Updated: Jun-01-15 6:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The first legislative session under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott ended Monday with conservatives claiming victory on tax cuts, a big boost in border security spending and looser gun laws in a state already known as among America's most firearms friendly.
- New Jersey trial on gay conversion therapy set to begin Updated: Jun-01-15 4:34 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Jurors are expected to hear testimony this week in a lawsuit that claims a nonprofit violated state consumer fraud laws when it offered treatment it said would turn gays into heterosexuals by, among other methods, having them spend more time naked with their fathers.
- Gay teen gives coming-out speech that was blocked by school Updated: Jun-01-15 1:33 pm
BOULDER, Colorado - A high school valedictorian who was barred from giving a graduation speech that revealed he is gay received another chance to deliver his message.
- Merkel's party resists calls to embrace full gay marriage Updated: Jun-01-15 9:31 am
BERLIN - Leaders of German Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative party are rejecting calls to embrace full-fledged marriage for gay couples following Irish voters' decision to legalize it.
- Australian opposition party proposes gay marriage law Updated: Jun-01-15 6:13 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's political opposition hopes to harness momentum from the Irish gay marriage referendum after it proposed a law Monday that would recognize same-sex marriages, which the country's conservative prime minister opposes.
- Son: Mormon leader dies within 40 days of cancer diagnosis Updated: May-31-15 7:01 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The son of Mormon leader L. Tom Perry says his father died within 40 days of being diagnosed with rare anaplastic thyroid cancer and his family was shocked how it spread like "wildfire."
- Proposal for 'Straight Pride' club spurs calls for training Updated: May-31-15 4:07 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Educators and parents in southern Indiana want more training and awareness of the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students after a group tried to establish a "Straight Pride" club at a high school.
- Top-ranking Mormon leader L. Tom Perry dies from cancer Updated: May-30-15 8:56 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Mormon leader L. Tom Perry, a member of the faith's highest governing body, has died from cancer. He was 92.
- Judge refuses to dismiss lawsuit over gay marriage licenses Updated: May-30-15 4:19 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A Pulaski County judge has rejected a request to dismiss a lawsuit seeking to force officials to recognize Arkansas marriage licenses issued to same-sex couples.
- Ex-Marshall player indicted on charges he punched gay couple Updated: May-30-15 1:05 pm
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - A former Marshall University football player has been accused of two felony civil rights violations stemming from his alleged April assault on a gay couple.
- Gay-rights activists clash with foes in Moscow, 15 detained Updated: May-30-15 10:56 am
MOSCOW - Police in the Russian capital have detained 15 people after a clash broke out between gay-rights advocates and opponents.
- Up & Down in Texas politics: Gay marriage; immigration bills Updated: May-30-15 9:05 am
AUSTIN, Texas - In the end, there was a meaningless Senate resolution. And then, the months-long Republican-led effort to further shield Texas from gay marriage should the U.S. Supreme Court legalize it was dead.
- NYC to weigh landmarking Stonewall Inn, gay rights beacon Updated: May-30-15 12:02 am
NEW YORK - Officials are considering whether to make the Stonewall Inn a city landmark, granting recognition to a powerful symbol of the gay rights movement.
- Gay conversion therapy ban heads to Illinois governor's desk Updated: May-29-15 7:44 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Senate has approved a ban on therapy designed to "convert" gay young people to heterosexuals.
- Top-ranking Mormon leader heads to hospice as cancer worsens Updated: May-29-15 12:59 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A top-ranking Mormon leader, 92-year-old L. Tom Perry, is headed to hospice as his cancer spreads aggressively.
- Biblical soap opera enjoying ungodly success in Brazil Updated: May-29-15 8:22 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The actress agonizes on her deathbed, her hair and makeup impeccable, as the hunky male lead clutches her hand. Tears pour down his face while her eyelids flutter to a final close.
- Indiana lawmakers won't study LGBT protections this summer Updated: May-28-15 7:19 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana lawmakers won't spend the summer discussing whether to grant statewide civil rights protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents despite lingering fallout over a new religious objections law.
- Science magazine retracts study on voters' gay-rights views Updated: May-28-15 3:59 pm
NEW YORK - Science magazine on Thursday formally retracted a highly publicized article about a study gauging the ability of openly gay canvassers to shift voters' views toward support for same-sex marriage.
- Northern Ireland bakery owners to appeal 'gay cake' verdict Updated: May-28-15 1:47 pm
LONDON - The owners of a Northern Ireland bakery that refused to bake a cake supporting gay marriage said Thursday they would appeal their conviction for discrimination.
- House committee kills Ala. bill banning LGBT discrimination Updated: May-27-15 9:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee on Wednesday canceled a vote on a bill that would ban discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
- House committee kills Ala. bill banning LGBT discrimination Updated: May-27-15 8:59 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee has killed a bill that would ban discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Vatican: Irish gay marriage vote a 'defeat for humanity' Updated: May-27-15 8:29 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's secretary of state has called the Irish vote to legalize gay marriage a "defeat for humanity," evidence of the soul-searching going on in Catholic circles after the predominantly Roman Catholic country overwhelmingly rejected traditional church teaching on marriage.