- Poliquin votes for LGBT rights fpr federal contractors Updated: May-26-16 12:16 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - Republican Rep. Bruce Poliquin of Maine has reversed an earlier vote in supporting an executive order that bars federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT employees.
- Ex-US magistrate hired to prosecute Alabama chief justice Updated: May-26-16 11:35 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A former federal magistrate and law school dean will prosecute suspended Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on judicial ethics charges linked to his opposition to same-sex marriage, a state official said Thursday.
- Oregon VA hires advocate for LGBT veterans Updated: May-26-16 11:27 am
SALEM, Oregon - The Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs has hired what officials say is the first ever coordinator for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender veterans.
- Fight over LGBT rights scuttles energy spending bill Updated: May-26-16 11:22 am
WASHINGTON - A $37 billion bill to fund the Energy Department and water projects has crashed in the House, scuttled by a fight over LGBT rights.
- House reverses course on LGBT rights for federal contractors Updated: May-26-16 12:00 am
WASHINGTON - The House reversed itself late Wednesday and approved a measure aimed at upholding an executive order that bars discrimination against LGBT employees by federal contractors.
- Vermont bans anti-gay therapy Updated: May-25-16 3:47 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont is banning the use of what's called "conversion therapy," a practice aimed at changing young people's sexual orientation or gender identity.
- AG: Edwards' anti-discrimination order not binding legally Updated: May-25-16 3:44 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - An LGBT rights anti-discrimination order issued by Gov. John Bel Edwards has "no binding legal effect," according to opinion released Wednesday by Attorney General Jeff Landry's office.
- Legislative study committee will examine LGBT civil rights Updated: May-25-16 3:23 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana lawmakers said Wednesday that they will have a committee study the possibility of adding LGBT civil rights protections into state law after refusing to do so last year when the state drew widespread criticism over a religious objections law that critics said amounted to an invitation to discriminate against gay people.
- GLAAD responds to #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend Updated: May-25-16 12:44 pm
LOS ANGELES - Captain America snags a kiss from Sharon Carter in the latest Marvel pic, "Captain America: Civil War," but many fans are wishing it was from someone else - specifically, a man.
- Some question gay police as grand marshals of Philly parade Updated: May-25-16 6:23 am
PHILADELPHIA - Some are questioning the decision to have a group of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender police officers serve as grand marshals of Philadelphia's LGBT Pride parade.
- The Latest: Winner in Texas education runoff thanks rival Updated: May-24-16 11:31 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Latest on a Texas education board race (all times local):
- Attorney general: Civil rights key to suit against LGBT law Updated: May-24-16 10:32 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - Civil rights laws exist for anyone victimized because of a physical characteristic they can't control, and that's why the U.S. Justice Department challenged a North Carolina law that blocks some legal protections for LGBT citizens, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Tuesday.
- North Carolina speaker: On LGBT, Charlotte must repeal first Updated: May-24-16 6:33 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Chances appear to be dwindling that North Carolina lawmakers will alter a contentious, new state law limiting LGBT nondiscrimination protections, because a legislative leader says they won't act until Charlotte first throws out its local ordinance increasing those protections.
- Florida cost for opposing gay marriage? $213,000 and rising Updated: May-24-16 6:29 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida is going to pay at least $213,000 for its losing battle to keep intact a voter-approved ban on gay marriage.
- Ryan weighs House floor change after gay rights flap Updated: May-24-16 3:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Speaker Paul Ryan is taking steps to bring greater order to the House floor after a Democrat-authored gay rights amendment caused chaos last week.
- Northwestern Indiana city approves LGBT protections Updated: May-24-16 10:03 am
VALPARAISO, Indiana - Officials in a northwestern Indiana city have approved a local ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- UK actor Ian McKellen: 'India needs to grow up' about gays Updated: May-24-16 6:04 am
MUMBAI, India - British actor Ian McKellen has criticized India's use of a British colonial law to crack down on homosexuals, saying in an interview with a Mumbai newspaper published Tuesday that "India needs to grow up."
- Restaurateur, LGBT pioneer dead; estranged husband arrested Updated: May-23-16 6:48 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The estranged husband of a well-known Salt Lake City restaurateur and LGBT pioneer who died in a house fire over the weekend has been arrested on suspicion of murder and arson, authorities said.
- Republicans seek to combine North Carolina LGBT lawsuits Updated: May-23-16 4:37 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's Republican leaders are seeking to combine separate lawsuits over a state law limiting protections for the LGBT community - moves that could help steer the cases to a judge who twice ruled against the federal government in recent years.
- Busy week of legislative negotiating gets underway Updated: May-23-16 12:28 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - House and Senate lawmakers are kicking off a busy week of negotiations on issues ranging from regulating police body cameras to banning the practice of gay conversion therapy on minors.
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem Updated: May-22-16 10:09 pm
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus is criticizing the San Diego Padres for mishandling the group's scheduled performance of the national anthem.
- Business-minded Ricketts repeatedly at odds with business Updated: May-22-16 10:59 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Gov. Pete Ricketts took office promising to bring his business savvy to state government and remove obstacles that make it harder for companies to flourish in Nebraska.
- Supporters hold rally for Alabama chief justice Updated: May-21-16 5:02 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Supporters of suspended Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore held rally in Montgomery.
- Biden: Diverse military of women, gays strengthens US forces Updated: May-21-16 2:41 pm
WEST POINT, New York - Vice President Joe Biden told the U.S. Military Academy's class of 2016 on Saturday that greater diversity, including more women and openly gay soldiers, will strengthen the country's armed forces.
- Yale's gender neutral bathrooms part of changing climate Updated: May-21-16 11:01 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Visitors at Yale University's 315th commencement will notice something new on campus this year - gender-neutral bathrooms in 23 buildings.