- Institutions like hospitals can help local mid-size farms Updated: Jul-05-15 1:04 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - At Oregon Health & Science University recently, the lunch offerings included sandwiches made with organic chicken breast - locally sourced - on focaccia bread, baked locally and delivered daily. Plus salad made from local greens. Not a pre-packaged, mass-produced item in sight.
- Wineries, craft breweries experience growth in Kansas Updated: Jul-05-15 11:23 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The thirst for Kansas-produced alcoholic beverages is growing, with wineries multiplying and the state's largest craft beer brewer moving into a larger facility.
- USDA offers funding for farmers markets, local food programs Updated: Jul-05-15 8:34 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The U.S. Department of Agriculture's focus has traditionally been on food production, agriculture and natural resources but under the administration of President Barack Obama the USDA also has taken on a broader rural economic development role.
- Students at Vermont Tech get dairy farm immersion experience Updated: Jun-18-15 6:27 pm
NORWICH, Vermont - Students at Vermont Technical College will get a chance to be fully immersed in the ins and out of life as a dairy farmer after the donation of a 350-acre dairy farm.
- New hybrid grapes help grow wine industry in cold US regions Updated: Jun-07-15 11:16 am
CORINTH, New York - The Marquette grapevines clinging to a steep, rocky hillside in the southeastern Adirondacks are among a host of new grape varieties that have enabled a boutique wine industry to take root in areas of the Northeast and Midwest that were previously inhospitable.