- Tourists use Alaska homeless shelter to grab coffee, snack Updated: May-05-16 10:40 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Cruise ship passengers have been hanging out at an Alaska homeless shelter to get free coffee and a bite to eat, but few have bothered making a donation, said one of the nonprofit's board members.
- 5 DSU barrel racers being featured on prime time NBC show Updated: May-05-16 10:26 am
DICKINSON, North Dakota - Five barrel racers on the Dickinson State University rodeo team will be featured on a prime-time network TV show.
- Arizona State adds men's tennis program Updated: May-04-16 6:18 pm
TEMPE, Arizona - Arizona State is adding men's tennis, eight years after it dropped the sport.
- Sneaky quarterback: RG3, Browns surprise high school team Updated: May-04-16 3:41 pm
CLEVELAND - Talk about a quarterback sneak.
- Fourth annual 'Idaho Gives' kicks off Thursday Updated: May-04-16 1:59 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho donors will have 24 hours to open their wallets to hundreds of nonprofits and charities in the upcoming fourth annual "Idaho Gives."
- Chairs of Arkansas GOP, Democrats agree on health care plan Updated: May-03-16 4:50 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The chairmen of Arkansas' largest political parties managed to agree on how legislators put together a Medicaid expansion plan that uses federal dollars to buy health care insurance for poorer residents.
- Peyton Manning speaking at Freed-Hardeman Benefit Dinner Updated: May-03-16 4:09 am
HENDERSON, Tennessee - The NFL's recently retired Peyton Manning is speaking this fall at the Freed-Hardeman University Benefit Dinner to raise money for student scholarships.
- Buffett will again auction off lunch for California charity Updated: May-02-16 3:13 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The most expensive lunch in the world will go on sale again next month when Warren Buffett auctions off a private meal.
- Saoirse Ronan to host Irish Rep gala of 'Finian's Rainbow' Updated: May-02-16 11:36 am
NEW YORK - The Irish Repertory Theatre has tapped a star of the Emerald Isle to host a gala benefit performance of "Finian's Rainbow" - Saoirse Ronan.
- New Jersey schools aid new school halfway around the world Updated: May-01-16 11:10 am
WILLINGBORO, New Jersey - The old desks, metal chairs and other office furniture were bound for the trash here in Burlington County, but a world away, those ready-to-be-tossed items were able to help transform a school.
- Teacher to run 5K race 6 months after double lung transplant Updated: Apr-29-16 12:20 pm
BOSTON - Six months to the day after undergoing a life-saving double lung transplant, a Boston school teacher who was born with a disease that robs him of lung capacity is running a 5K charity road race this weekend.
- Marshall ceramics event raises $17K for food pantry Updated: Apr-29-16 4:51 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Marshall University ceramics students have raised $17,000 for a food pantry.
- Famous paleontologist celebrated at Museum of the Rockies Updated: Apr-29-16 1:20 am
BOZEMAN, Montana - A $3 million endowment has been set up at the Museum of the Rockies in honor of renowned paleontologist Jack Horner, who is retiring after 34 years as the museum's curator of paleontology.
- Ex-CSU student gives $13 million for scholarships, buildings Updated: Apr-28-16 4:15 pm
FORT COLLINS, Colorado - Colorado State University says an energy company CEO who attended the school is donating $13 million for scholarships and construction projects.
- MTSU names veterans' center for Charlie and Hazel Daniels Updated: Apr-28-16 2:20 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Middle Tennessee State University has named a new support center for military veterans who are students there in honor of country music singer Charlie Daniels and his wife, Hazel.
- New Jersey taxpayers could get charity deductions under bill Updated: Apr-28-16 1:37 pm
MOUNT LAUREL, New Jersey - New Jersey residents could make deductions for charitable donations on their state income tax returns under legislation getting new attention.
- Michigan first lady christens Detroit pink elevator project Updated: Apr-28-16 11:44 am
DETROIT - Michigan first lady Sue Snyder has christened a campaign involving a pink elevator in Detroit to raise funds benefiting the Susan G. Komen organization for breast cancer research.
- LACMA receives record-breaking $75 million donations Updated: Apr-28-16 8:44 am
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles County Museum of Art has received two donations totaling $75 million toward its new modernist building.
- NBA's Shaun Livingston donates $1 million to Illinois school Updated: Apr-28-16 6:51 am
PEORIA, Illinois - A central Illinois school has received a big fundraising boost from former student and professional basketball player Shaun Livingston.
- Retired Gen. Petraeus to speak at law enforcement gathering Updated: Apr-27-16 9:49 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Retired Gen. David Petraeus has been tapped as the keynote speaker for an annual gathering of law enforcement officials in South Dakota.
- Purdue-Arizona State and Florida-Duke in Jimmy V Classic Updated: Apr-27-16 7:00 pm
NEW YORK - Purdue will face Arizona State and Florida will meet Duke in the 2016 Jimmy V Classic.
- Troopers investigate fundraising for girl who was not sick Updated: Apr-26-16 4:56 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - An online fundraising effort that took in $6,110 to pay medical expenses of a Fairbanks girl was taken down after the website creator said she learned the girl was not sick.
- Sonoma County couple donates $185M to UCSF neurosciences Updated: Apr-26-16 9:32 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A Sonoma County couple says they will donate $185 million for a new neuroscience institute at the University of California, San Francisco. It's the largest donation in the school's history.
- Massachusetts father runs 6 marathons for autistic son Updated: Apr-25-16 9:31 am
BOSTON - For Chris Beck, crossing the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday marked the end of an exhausting, but rewarding year. He ran the Abbott World Marathon Majors, of which Boston is one, in one year to raise awareness about autism for his son Owen.
- Army officer dies after collapsing running London Marathon Updated: Apr-25-16 7:51 am
LONDON - A British Army officer has died after collapsing three miles short of the London Marathon finish line.