- New Orleans considers new downtown homeless shelter Updated: Jul-01-15 4:02 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A coalition is developing plans for raising $7 million to build a homeless shelter in downtown New Orleans.
- Inert grenades found in Massachusetts charity's donation bin Updated: Jul-01-15 8:46 am
DUDLEY, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts State Police bomb squad was called to a convenience store after three inactive grenades were found inside a clothing and toy donation bin.
- Hope College's new art museum to feature major donation Updated: Jun-30-15 5:11 pm
HOLLAND, Michigan - A donation of Asian art worth more than $1.2 million has significantly boosted the collection of a new museum opening at a liberal arts college in western Michigan.
- W.Va. Lottery officials say charity 'casino nights' illegal Updated: Jun-30-15 9:28 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia Lottery officials say "casino night" fundraisers conducted by charitable organizations are illegal.
- University of Miami grad donates $1 million to school Updated: Jun-30-15 8:53 am
CORAL GABLES, Florida - A University of Miami graduate has donated $1 million to the school, money that will perpetually fund a scholarship for a football player.
- Patterson announces first round of grants to schools Updated: Jun-30-15 7:35 am
NEW YORK - James Patterson is announcing the first round of school libraries to receive grants from an initiative he and Scholastic Reading Club launched in March, and he continues to raise the amount of money he will donate.
- Firm gives $10 million to new U of Illinois med school Updated: Jun-30-15 4:09 am
URBANA, Illinois - A Chicago-based financial firm is giving the University of Illinois $10 million to pay for a training center at the school's planned new medical school.
- Golf tournament raises $1.5 million for charity Updated: Jun-29-15 7:01 am
CROMWELL, Connecticut - Travelers says the just concluded Travelers Championship golf tournament in Cromwell generated more than $1.5 million for charity.
- Donors raise $71K so far for Niobrara County flood victims Updated: Jun-28-15 3:32 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - The Niobrara Recovery Committee has raised over $71,500 and distributed about $38,800 of that to businesses and homeowners directly affected by the June 4 flood.
- Fundraising almost complete for Cedar Falls beach house Updated: Jun-28-15 11:38 am
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - It's built like a brick ... beach house. Well, actually, it's concrete block.
- Fireworks fund high school activities in at least 2 cities Updated: Jun-28-15 10:50 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Fireworks stands have begun opening in areas that allow such sales around the Shoals.
- Pork donation to fill Iowa food pantry freezers Updated: Jun-27-15 6:17 pm
IOWA FALLS, Iowa - Iowa food pantries will benefit from a donation of about 44,000 pounds of fresh boneless pork loins being made by the Deb and Jeff Hansen Foundation and Iowa Select Farms.
- Arkansas animal shelter seeks donations to stay open Updated: Jun-27-15 2:20 pm
PARAGOULD, Arkansas - The director of a northeast Arkansas animal shelter says the operation could close without community donations.
- Musicians 'lend down a hand' at Down Syndrome fundraiser Updated: Jun-27-15 12:04 pm
JACKSON, Tennessee - Country stars from Nashville came to Jackson to support the Down Syndrome Association of West Tennessee with live performances at the Casey Jones Amphitheater.
- Travelers Championship a boon for Connecticut charities Updated: Jun-26-15 11:21 am
CROMWELL, Connecticut - Before the golfers begin their final round at the Travelers Championship on Sunday, 19-year-old Brittany Vose will lead a group of about 300 people on a seventh annual walk around the course to raise money for pancreatic cancer research.
- Savers stores agree to changes after sued by Minnesota AG Updated: Jun-25-15 12:13 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Savers thrift store chain has agreed to improve transparency and will not solicit non-clothing donations without compensating charities as part of a settlement with Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson.
- Nonprofit works to raise $1M to help train assistance dogs Updated: Jun-23-15 10:13 am
WAYLAND, Michigan - A Michigan-based nonprofit that raises and trains assistance dogs is working to haul in $1 million in one day to help train more dogs and keep up with increasing demand for the animals.
- Walker to donate $3,500 received from white supremacist Updated: Jun-22-15 5:53 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker plans to donate money he received in campaign donations from the leader of a white supremacist group cited by the Charleston church murder suspect.
- Jackson County launches fund drive to build animal shelter Updated: Jun-22-15 4:14 am
SEYMOUR, Indiana - A southern Indiana county that wants to build an animal shelter has already brought in $12,000 before even launching a formal fundraising campaign.
- Blue Angels headline ShrinersFest 2015 in Evansville Updated: Jun-21-15 6:43 pm
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - The Navy's elite Blue Angels flight demonstration team will perform over Evansville during ShrinersFest 2015 that starts Wednesday.
- Nonprofit Farm Rescue getting $150,000 Bremer donation Updated: Jun-21-15 9:23 am
HORACE, North Dakota - The nonprofit Farm Rescue is getting a large donation from the Otto Bremer Foundation.
- Virginia attorney general announces rescue plan for college Updated: Jun-21-15 3:05 am
SWEET BRIAR, Virginia - Prominent alumnae of Sweet Briar College are rejoicing over a mediated settlement to keep the 114-year-old Virginia women's college open, a rescue deal that caps frantic monthslong efforts to stave off a planned August closure.
- Commission to let state's first charter school stay open Updated: Jun-18-15 7:55 pm
SEATTLE - On a vote of 4-3, Washington's first charter school is going to survive to teach another year, despite serious concerns by the statewide Charter School Commission about the school's financial viability.
- Massachusetts 6-year-old plays 100 holes of golf for charity Updated: Jun-18-15 8:49 am
NORTON, Massachusetts - A 6-year-old Massachusetts boy has raised $25,000 for cancer research by playing 100 holes of golf in one day in memory of a classmate who died of the disease.
- Yale alumnus gives $4M to convert auditorium to gem exhibit Updated: Jun-17-15 12:10 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - The Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History's auditorium is being converted into a mineral and gem exhibit thanks to a $4 million donation.